New Zealand Warriors in Melt down

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 mt smart

mt smart
  • Coach
  • 642 posts

Posted 09 April 2014 - 03:17 AM

I realise some fans get anoyed with NRL sotries in the General thread. This story is relevant because the NZ Franchsie is the face of Rugby league for an entire nation.

To give you some background, Mathew Elliiots Sacking was said to be a resignation by the CLub.

The Warriors are co owned by Billionaire Owen Glen and Multi Millionaire Eric Watson.

Eric Watson appears to have gone ahead with sacking the clubs coach without consulting Glen who has poured tens of Millions of dollars into the Club.

Has there been a bigger mess at club board level in Rugby league ?

Here's Glens press release which opened the can of worms in NZ sport within the last hour...the Radio station who reported it waited ten minutes till they could verify it wasn't a hoax.

Warriors co-owner Sir Owen Glenn has described Matthew Elliot's departure as "diabolical", saying the former head coach was pushed out of the club.

"I was sorry to hear of Matt's 'resignation'," Sir Owen said in a statement released today.

"I was sorrier still when I learned that he hadn't, in fact, walked away from the Warriors at all – he didn't jump, he was pushed. But what I am most sorry about is the dishonourable treatment of an honourable man."

Sir Owen conceded the quality of the Warriors' performances so far this season has been "disappointing".

"Saturday night in Sydney was worse than disappointing. Since I am known as someone who deplores mediocrity, I guess I would have to concede that hard questions needed to be put in the wake of the Sydney debacle – not just to the coach, but to the players and the Warriors' management team."

Sir Owen went on to say that Elliott's dismissal was not approved by the full Warriors board - including himself.

"A decision to axe a coach needs to be scrupulously considered and properly ratified. Instead, what we have here is a seeming knee-jerk decision conveyed to Matt immediately after the game, without ratification by the full board of the Warriors – or by this co-owner," Sir Owen said.

"Adding insult to injury, there appears to have been an effort to evade accountability for the decision by dressing it up as a voluntary resignation rather than calling it by its proper name. This was clearly designed to convey the impression that Matthew Elliot chose not to stay.

"The Matthew Elliot I know is not a quitter. And in view of the service he has given to the Warriors and the strength of his character, to suggest that he would walk of his own volition is disreputable."

3 News

http://www.3news.co....x#ixzz2yLyLPa62

#2 mt smart

mt smart
  • Coach
  • 642 posts

Posted 09 April 2014 - 03:28 AM

This is a disater for the sport unfolding. That's the general consenus by generic sports fans ( Union cricket you name it ) Jamming the switch board of NZ Radio.

#3 gutterfax

gutterfax
  • Coach
  • 333 posts

Posted 09 April 2014 - 04:36 AM

It will be a disaster if Glenn walks away.......until then it's a power struggle to control the club.
More worrying is the ###### Poor attendance at Eden park in the first home game and the $10 tickets for this weekend.......not going to end well!

#4 Aucks Warriors

Aucks Warriors
  • Coach
  • 236 posts

Posted 09 April 2014 - 06:00 AM

That's not all last week's hiding against the Sharks was watched by 67,000 on tv. They have let go of some good players in the past.

#5 Exiled Wiganer

Exiled Wiganer
  • Coach
  • 6,350 posts

Posted 09 April 2014 - 07:01 AM

The Warriors will endure. It might not have been done right, but Elliott had to go.

#6 Paddsy

Paddsy
  • Players
  • 69 posts

Posted 09 April 2014 - 02:46 PM

A local may have a better chance of coaching them. 

#7 JonNgog

JonNgog
  • Coach
  • 577 posts

Posted 09 April 2014 - 08:17 PM

If I'm not wrong wasn't the first game at Eden Park played when the entire country was on cyclone watch and weather was horrendous? That's what I was told anyway. I expect a bigger crowd this week.

#8 Wakefield Ram

Wakefield Ram
  • 1,626 posts

Posted 09 April 2014 - 10:43 PM

Surprised someone hasn't blamed Sam Tomkins for this!!!!!!

#9 gutterfax

gutterfax
  • Coach
  • 333 posts

Posted 09 April 2014 - 10:45 PM

If I'm not wrong wasn't the first game at Eden Park played when the entire country was on cyclone watch and weather was horrendous? That's what I was told anyway. I expect a bigger crowd this week.

Indeed. The first game was played when there was a severe weather warning in place, which would no doubt have had an influence on the number of walk-ups and last minute purchases.....and I would expect a bigger crowd this weekend....22 degrees and sunny is the forecast! 

It now seems that Watson/Glenn have fallen out beyond repair and that Glenn wanted to sell his shares in the Warriors long before the sacking/resignation saga. The Mad Butcher, possible the #1 fan of the club, was interviewed on TV this morning and was spitting nails in the direction of Glenn, so it seems as if this is another case of a wealthy megalomaniac not understanding the difference between "being a fan" and "running a club".......Salford have one and London Bronco's version is in the process of measuring the club up for its coffin!

The Warriors have an entire country supporting them and quite a substantial talent pool to select from. The problem is, before you throw the ball around like some form of RL Harlem Globetrotters, you need to be able to do the basics and play boring 5 and a kick, up the guts, arm wrestle footie. The club needs a coach who can make them reign in their desire to go for broke on every play......because playing exciting RL and losing is just losing really!

#10 gutterfax

gutterfax
  • Coach
  • 333 posts

Posted 09 April 2014 - 10:46 PM

Surprised someone hasn't blamed Sam Tomkins for this!!!!!!

He's a luxury we didn't need and one we can't really afford either. Said to a client earlier, the best thing that could happen is that the RFU come in for him and we free up a massive chunk of our cap for 2015!

#11 John Drake

John Drake
  • Admin
  • 7,771 posts

Posted 09 April 2014 - 11:51 PM

Several posts deleted.

Stick to the topic and leave the troll-hunting to the moderators.

If you think someone is trolling, REPORT IT and DO NOT RESPOND TO IT.

Any more personal abuse of any kind in any direction from anyone in this thread will result in a ban.

John Drake
Site Admin: TotalRL.com
TotalRL.com
Email: john.drake@totalrl.com

#12 ParraEelsNRL

ParraEelsNRL
  • Coach
  • 1,292 posts

Posted 10 April 2014 - 03:22 AM

He's a luxury we didn't need and one we can't really afford either. Said to a client earlier, the best thing that could happen is that the RFU come in for him and we free up a massive chunk of our cap for 2015!

Absolutely brilliant   :blackeye: 

#13 gutterfax

gutterfax
  • Coach
  • 333 posts

Posted 10 April 2014 - 03:41 AM

Absolutely brilliant   :blackeye: 

The Warriors don't need "big names". They need to play as a team and have confidence in each others abilities......underneath any form of kick, this guy doesn't instil any confidence.  His stats are nothing to write home about and to date, he's certainly not worth a brass farthing more than Kevin Locke. He is indicative of "getting it wrong" when it comes to signing big names in my opinion.....if he wants to survive in the NRL he needs to add some meat to his bones too. 

#14 ParraEelsNRL

ParraEelsNRL
  • Coach
  • 1,292 posts

Posted 10 April 2014 - 04:49 AM

They have got him now, give the guy a chance for goodness sake.

He could end up being the player needed to go that extra step.

#15 Southstander13

Southstander13
  • Coach
  • 1,295 posts

Posted 10 April 2014 - 07:27 AM

because playing exciting RL and losing is just losing really!

It is, but isn't it exciting to watch!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users