Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Four Nations Fixtures!

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#21 GeordieSaint

GeordieSaint
  • Coach
  • 4,774 posts

Posted 10 April 2014 - 10:55 AM

I find it a little odd that there is no game in either Sydney or Auckland. Dunedin is a poor choice for NZ v Eng. Great stadium but not sure why they get a game over the main RL city in NZ. 

Whilst no expert, I quite like the split of locations in both countries; length and breadth of each nation nearly!

Kings Lynn Black Knights Rugby League Club - http://www.pitchero....nnblackknights/

#22 thirteenthman

thirteenthman
  • Coach
  • 2,643 posts

Posted 10 April 2014 - 11:08 AM

I find it a little odd that there is no game in either Sydney or Auckland. Dunedin is a poor choice for NZ v Eng. Great stadium but not sure why they get a game over the main RL city in NZ. 

To be fair, Wollongong isn't that far from Sydney. And with the Anzac Test between Aus and NZ being played at the SFS next month, they probably didn't want to take the risk of playing 2 Internationals in Sydney in the same year! I'm assuming that the stadium owners in Dunedin put an attractive package together to get the organisers to take a game there.

#23 londonrlfan

londonrlfan
  • Coach
  • 842 posts

Posted 10 April 2014 - 11:08 AM

Sydney have the ANZAC Test anyway and Wollongong isn't that far from Sydney. 

#24 Derwent

Derwent
  • Coach
  • 7,890 posts

Posted 10 April 2014 - 11:17 AM

Sunday, November 2: Australia v England at AAMI Park, Melbourne.

Good luck to anyone who tries to get decent accommodation at reasonable prices in Melbourne during the Melbourne Cup Carnival !!

Workington Town. Then. Now. Always.

#25 oikee

oikee
  • Coach
  • 335 posts

Posted 10 April 2014 - 09:01 PM

Good luck to anyone who tries to get decent accommodation at reasonable prices in Melbourne during the Melbourne Cup Carnival !!

Yes, and the Salford owner will more than likely be in Melbourne so great publicity for the international game. 

Rewarding fans and taking the game to new areas is really taking off in Australia. I think Dunedin is a great place to have a test. Great for the south island to be able to see a test close to home, i have no doubt this should sell-out. Right time, right place at right time of the year. 

Melbourne has to be the game of the series, must see event. We will have all the horse owners from over the world watching with interest, you cant buy publicity like that. Also the opening double header in Brisbane is being held 10 days after the G20 leaders of nations event. 

So again, well done to the organisers for the planning of this event. 

We have clean-air and lots of promotion time for this event. 

At last we seem to have done something right. 

#26 bobbruce

bobbruce
  • Coach
  • 6,017 posts

Posted 10 April 2014 - 09:47 PM

Good luck to anyone who tries to get decent accommodation at reasonable prices in Melbourne during the Melbourne Cup Carnival !!

We didnt do too bad during the 2008 WC. Didnt think it was any higher than staying in Sydney or Brisbane.

#27 gutterfax

gutterfax
  • Coach
  • 234 posts

Posted 10 April 2014 - 10:08 PM

I'm still not sold on Dunedin, but Whangarei will sell out for the game v the PI team and Wellington should sell out for the final......

#28 Exiled Wiganer

Exiled Wiganer
  • Coach
  • 5,987 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 02:00 AM

have you see how far dunedin is?? i don't think you can travel further round the globe before you start heading back towards home lol....

lovely stadium but strange choice really,england union played there in their world cup..iirc nobody could kick goals in there..

God - nil nil draw. That'd have had the blood racing.

#29 kiwi rhino

kiwi rhino
  • Players
  • 2 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 02:04 AM

Playing the Kiwis v England outside of Auckland or Wellington is an error IMHO........the "population" in Dunedin is determined by if it's "term time" for the uni students and the attendance will be linked to the number of discounted ticket offers.

The Warriors "promoted" their warm up game in 2013 and got 15k.......this year there was little in the way of "student friendly" offers and they got 6k....there are only 4 amateur clubs in the Otago comp.

The number of Maori/PI in the population of the Dunedin/Otago region is less than 10%........Christchurch is 11%, Wellington is 22%, Hamilton 26% and Auckland 26%.....Maori/PI are the core supporter group of RL in NZ.......it's why the Warriors are based where they are!

The only way this makes sense is if the stadium have PAID to host this game and are expecting to attract visitors from across the country.........but even the all blacks didn't fill the place last time they played there in 2012.

have you see how far dunedin is?? i don't think you can travel further round the globe before you start heading back towards home lol....

lovely stadium but strange choice really,england union played there in their world cup..iirc nobody could kick goals in there..

Who cares, after moving to Dunedin in 2005 from Leeds I finally get to see England again! Sweet as bro. 

#30 Doghead

Doghead
  • Coach
  • 1,047 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 12:21 PM

Ian Ramsdale ‏@ianramsdale · 47m
It was a terrific World Cup QF, now @PremierSportsTV pick up Four Nations 'play-off': Samoa v Fiji, Sat 3rd May http://fb.me/15LdMK54j

#31 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,665 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 12:43 PM

It was a terrific World Cup QF, now @PremierSportsTV pick up Four Nations 'play-off': Samoa v Fiji, Sat 3rd May http://fb.me/15LdMK54j

good stuff!

#32 brooza

brooza
  • 4,341 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 12:45 PM

Excellent!

I can't watch it, but I'm glad they've picked it up
St Albans Centurions 1st Team Manager. Former Medway Dragons Wheelchair RL player.

Leeds Rhinos, St Albans Centurions y Griffons Madrid fan. Also follow (to a lesser extent) Catalans Dragons, London Broncos, South Sydney Rabbitohs, Jacksonville Axemen, Vrchlabi Mad Squirrels, København Black Swans, Red Star Belgrade and North Hertfordshire Crusaders.

Moderator of the International board

#33 JonNgog

JonNgog
  • Coach
  • 486 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 01:04 PM

Why have Fiji been made to 'qualify' - surely they did that by getting to the semi's in the World Cup???

#34 Just Browny

Just Browny
  • Coach
  • 11,717 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 01:27 PM

Why have Fiji been made to 'qualify' - surely they did that by getting to the semi's in the World Cup???

I know what you mean, but we shouldn't be wasting any opportunities for meaningful competitive fixtures, especially between Pacific Island countries. The victor will be the stronger for it when it comes to the autumn.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

#35 londonrlfan

londonrlfan
  • Coach
  • 842 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 02:00 PM

I agree, it will be a shame if Fiji fail to qualify whilst a Samoan side packed with Aussies and Kiwis do. At least Fiji are developing their own players and having success with it. 

#36 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 10,003 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 02:18 PM

Who cares, after moving to Dunedin in 2005 from Leeds I finally get to see England again! Sweet as bro. 

Bad luck comes in threes. Check your tyres.

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

#37 Paddsy

Paddsy
  • Players
  • 55 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 06:09 PM

There should be a game at Gosford

Edited by Paddsy, 11 April 2014 - 06:10 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users