Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Roughyeds vs Thunder Sunday 13th April

• Please log in to reply
52 replies to this topic

#21 HARRYRUBY

HARRYRUBY
  • Coach
  • 188 posts

Posted 10 April 2014 - 10:04 PM

Roughyed 34 To say if you don't go to matches you cant be a fan  or supporter  / supporter but a follower and unless you go to matches you have no right whatsoever to voice an opinion is one of the most ill thought out and ridiculous statements I have ever read on this forum.

How many of these followers are there who don't go to matches now because they are old or disabled or can no longer afford  to go to matches but who may have seen more Oldham rugby games than those who go to matches now.

Many of these may be in the clubs by lottery therefore supporting the club that way.

If your logic is right the the total sum of Manchester United and Manchester City supporters is around 140.000 being the number who can watch the game from the confines of their home grounds.

Support can be given to a club in many ways without going to a match.

#22 ThunderArmy

ThunderArmy
  • Coach
  • 197 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 07:37 AM

See you guys sunday, always enjoy trip to play you guys, great set of fans.

#23 roughyed34

roughyed34
  • Coach
  • 190 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 07:44 AM

Correct the amount of City and Utd supporters is around 140,000. The rest are followers of a club. Its not difficult to make the distinction. Just get behind the team and stop you making excuses about the ground/chairman/club. Wether you like it or not, we play at Whitebank, with a chairman who splits opinion. Get over it. When people dont go it is just restricting the money that could be put to good use in helping with the ground etc, i take the point about lottery but we need more gate money to improve things. The club must lose money every home game, are you seriously telling me that if there is a change of chairman crowds will rocket at Whitebank? I think not because people will move on to the next thing to criticise! Without people actively supporting the club it may die and never return, i for sure never want to see that happen, do you??

#24 lalar

lalar
  • Players
  • 43 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 08:54 AM

If we had a new chairman, who, from the start told us of his plans, told us of the plans for whitebank should we be promoted, a chairman who actively seeks dialogue with fans and potential investors, then yes, imo the crowds would increase dramatically. I believe this is the main forum for fans of orlfc and yet it has been said on more than one occasion that CH never visits this site, to me this says he couldn't give a toss about fans opinions or concerns.

#25 lalar

lalar
  • Players
  • 43 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 08:57 AM

My father spent most of his life following Oldham home and away, now due to his age he is no longer able to go, so does he no longer support orlfc?

#26 oldham13

oldham13
  • Coach
  • 686 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 09:02 AM

See You Sunday, Thunder Army

If you get chance to come and say hello to the lads behind the sticks, they will make you and your family feel very welcome.

The club bar is open from about non ish.

Thanks for posting on our forum.

Regards

Oldham13

We Are Oldham Roughyeds

#27 OutOfTownRoughyed

OutOfTownRoughyed
  • Coach
  • 316 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 09:45 AM

Its ok oldham13 i already know thunderarmy

#28 oldham13

oldham13
  • Coach
  • 686 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 11:40 AM

Thanks

We Are Oldham Roughyeds

#29 clifford

clifford
  • Coach
  • 207 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 01:10 PM

Lalar my dads 83 and is going on Sunday for the first time in 2014
He may only attend 2 games but he has been supporting oldham since the late 30's
Under the present theme he cant call himself a fan
My ####

Im with you

#30 oldham13

oldham13
  • Coach
  • 686 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 02:44 PM

Stanley Gene hopes his side get back to winning ways this Sunday when they travel to Oldham for their Kingstone Press Championship One 5th Round clash. 

Speaking to ThunderRugby.com, Gene said: "Sunday is going to be a tough game - Oldham are third in the league. As a team, we need to do the little things right."

The Kumuls legend added: "We've not been far off in the last two games. I've been very critical of the boys, but I know that when you put new structure into a team, it takes a while to get used to it.

"A couple of our boys come from an amateur background and they're improving with every game which is a positive, but now we need to kick on and challenge Oldham and see where we're at.

"We're going to miss our experienced men Paul Stamp, Matty Barron and Rhys Clarke in the middle, but the players who are coming in can take that chance and cement their spot in the team."

Thunder will select their matchday squad from the following players, with the starting XIII to be announced later this weekend:

1. GREG EDEN

2. TOM LYNCH

3. CHRIS HEIL

4. JOE BROWN 

5. JACOB BLADES

6. MATTY BEHARRELL

7. CARL PUCKERING

8. LEE FEWLASS

9. RICKY HOUGH

10. SONNY ESSLEMONT

11. JASON PAYNE

12. AARON OLLETT

13. SAM BOWRING

14. JOSH STOKER

15. ALEX RUFF

16. CALLUM COCKBURN

17. CONOR CONDRON

18. JOE HODGSON

19. BRADLEY KREBS

We Are Oldham Roughyeds

#31 cluedo

cluedo
  • Coach
  • 415 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 09:35 PM

Roughyed 34 if the wonderful CH hadn't managed to upset two very good sponsors the club would be approx 15k a year better off, in 17 years the club has managed to lose around 3500 supporters or followers now I doubt if CH left we would get 4000 gates straight away but we would get some back, the problem is CH will not leave a nicely paid job without a pay day! the club has no assets so who is going to give him his payday! the debts will be made up of directors loans I would imagine in the way of deferred salary payments. The club is going nowhere CH is quite happy collecting his salary and will carry on doing so.

#32 HARRYRUBY

HARRYRUBY
  • Coach
  • 188 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 10:50 PM

As I have often said on this forum no one is going to invest in the club without having first hand knowledge of the details of the debts and seeing the books.

What is puzzling is how the club has managed to avoid liquidation with the amount of debt shown and no assets.

If the debts are directors loans then the directors should be applauded for keeping the club going.

However  I doubt if the debts which were over £200,000 in the last accounts are all directors loans. If we owe HMRC very little in past debts as was quoted in the press not long ago then what are they and how have they accrued.

CH said when he took over that he would be open with the fans and keep them informed about the club.

I think that information is long overdue.

#33 TOSH1960

TOSH1960
  • Coach
  • 342 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 11:18 PM

Haha! we again end up being so negative.

Well i'm celebrating having two fantastic teams to support this weekend. I'm gutted i can't be at the u20s game because of work. But will be there on Sunday enjoying every minute, win or God forbid lose. Why because We are Oldham Rugby! And we are so blessed to have such a great team. Past is past, Sunday is the present! And say what you want, we have a fantastic opportunity to go up! But guess what? even if we don't, we are still Oldham Rugby.

#34 oldham13

oldham13
  • Coach
  • 686 posts

Posted 12 April 2014 - 07:34 AM

Here Here Tosh,

No matter what positive rugby post people put on the forum, the same negative nellies drag it back to the same subject. le Tosh1960, your post is marked Oldham v Thunder, clearly a post about the match but we arrived about at negativesvilles.

The same people who have financially supported in the past but now support the club spirit continue to post negative opinions and they infiltrate all rugby posts about OUR current team and other rugby matters.

Lets have one topic banner for "negative, anti CH, I am not going ever again whilst CH is in charge, I don't like Whitebank, and lets talk about starting a new club", then the rest of us use the forum for rugby matters, and we don't have to plough mountains of negativity everyday.

Look forward because that is way we are going.

Two great games to watch this weekend

Come on Boys

We Are Oldham Roughyeds

#35 lalar

lalar
  • Players
  • 43 posts

Posted 12 April 2014 - 11:15 AM

Thanks for that Chris!

#36 lalar

lalar
  • Players
  • 43 posts

Posted 12 April 2014 - 11:25 AM

If we get promoted this season, will we be able to play in the higher division? Are plans laid down for whitebank upgrades to allow us to go up? Simple questions and yet the club continues to keep fans in the dark as to future plans. What is the team playing for? And what are we paying for?

#37 roughyed34

roughyed34
  • Coach
  • 190 posts

Posted 12 April 2014 - 12:19 PM

Ok the point is that people are complaining of attendances,the ground etc, the point is the club has not been well supported way before CH took over, for example in the SL the average attendance at BP was only 3832! That was for the premier division of RL, now we are languishing in the bottom tier the attendances at games compares pretty favourably to other clubs in Champ 1 and most in the Championship. 4000 crowds probably wont be seen for a long time if ever again. If everyone went in the super league days and we only got 3800 or so, how even with the people who stay away now, in the lower tiers of rugby will it improve? The level for ORLFC looks to be around 4000 ish. So the decline in fans has not just been since CH/Nomads/Whitebank, it was also BP and Jim Quinn days. The figures dont lie

#38 OutOfTownRoughyed

OutOfTownRoughyed
  • Coach
  • 316 posts

Posted 12 April 2014 - 12:54 PM

For anyone thats wants a beer pre match tmoro we are meeting the Gateshead lot at king George around half twelve all welcome up the Yeds

#39 john in oz

john in oz
  • Players
  • 88 posts

Posted 12 April 2014 - 10:35 PM

As I have often said on this forum no one is going to invest in the club without having first hand knowledge of the details of the debts and seeing the books.

What is puzzling is how the club has managed to avoid liquidation with the amount of debt shown and no assets.

If the debts are directors loans then the directors should be applauded for keeping the club going.

However  I doubt if the debts which were over £200,000 in the last accounts are all directors loans. If we owe HMRC very little in past debts as was quoted in the press not long ago then what are they and how have they accrued.

CH said when he took over that he would be open with the fans and keep them informed about the club.

I think that information is long overdue.

#40 john in oz

john in oz
  • Players
  • 88 posts

Posted 12 April 2014 - 10:38 PM

As ever Harry, you are absolutely spot on in your comments and the first paragraph of your post in particular.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users