Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

10/04/14 - Hull FC v Huddersfield Giants KO 8pm (Sky Sports)

• Please log in to reply
55 replies to this topic

Poll: Who will win? (8 member(s) have cast votes)

Who will win?

1. Hull FC (3 votes [37.50%])

Percentage of vote: 37.50%

2. Draw (1 votes [12.50%])

Percentage of vote: 12.50%

3. Huddersfield Giants (4 votes [50.00%])

Percentage of vote: 50.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#41 bamfordsbeans

bamfordsbeans
  • Coach
  • 172 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 06:37 AM

Hull looked good last night but they need to improve away from home and find a goal kicker.

#42 Swansea Jack

Swansea Jack
  • Coach
  • 240 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 08:25 AM

My man of the match was Gareth Ellis. His tackling contribution was immense. I like a good workhorse going about his business sometimes unnoticed.

#43 7723

• Coach
  • 600 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 08:47 AM

I thought it was a very professional performance from Hull and a very unprofessional performance from Huddersfield. Huddersfield came across as a very dirty side and a few players appeared to want to square up every 2 minutes. I think we will see more teams winding Danny Brough up as clearly he cannot keep his head and completely loses the plot ruining any structure Huddersfield have.

#44 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 20,071 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 08:49 AM

Who gave them that opportunity.....not Salford, they objected.

Not Hull City. Sunday was available.

The RL who stated Cup games were to be played on the weekend, specifically Fri Sat and Sunday.

Nobody can blame Hull its those fools at the RFL.

Spoilt what could have been a good game tonight.

soapbox.gif the-exterior.jpg

#45 brooza

brooza
  • 4,360 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 09:25 AM

Very enjoyable game that for me. Nice to see a dominant Hull pack and some very good support play at times.  Very difficult for Huddersfield due to the short turnaround. Brough was at his petulant worst - once again you don't need to be an expert lip reader to work out his feelings for the referee. And how on earth does Richard Whiting get binned for being kicked and punched?

Did he punch back?

St Albans Centurions 1st Team Manager. Former Medway Dragons Wheelchair RL player.

Leeds Rhinos, St Albans Centurions y Griffons Madrid fan. Also follow (to a lesser extent) Catalans Dragons, London Broncos, South Sydney Rabbitohs, Jacksonville Axemen, Vrchlabi Mad Squirrels, København Black Swans, Red Star Belgrade and North Hertfordshire Crusaders.

Moderator of the International board

#46 Saint Toppy

Saint Toppy
  • Coach
  • 2,647 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 09:55 AM

Huddersfield are very much like Cas were with Rangi Chase (just more structured) - everything is planned around him and when Brough doesn't play well (or loses the plot) the whole team doesn't function properly.

They're lucky that they do at least have a few other players who can come up with some individual pieces of brilliance which will win them a few close games, but overall its the Brough show, and they need a plan B when he's not performing.

Brough has always had an attitude problem, but last year he looked to have improved that side of his game. However this year he's back to how he was and the team is suffering.

The opposition will be relentless now in trying to wind Brough up in every game and it may come to a point where Anderson has to drop him for a few games for the betterment of the whole team.

#47 TBC

TBC
  • Coach
  • 752 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 10:31 AM

Huddersfield are very much like Cas were with Rangi Chase (just more structured) - everything is planned around him and when Brough doesn't play well (or loses the plot) the whole team doesn't function properly.
They're lucky that they do at least have a few other players who can come up with some individual pieces of brilliance which will win them a few close games, but overall its the Brough show, and they need a plan B when he's not performing.

Brough has always had an attitude problem, but last year he looked to have improved that side of his game. However this year he's back to how he was and the team is suffering.
The opposition will be relentless now in trying to wind Brough up in every game and it may come to a point where Anderson has to drop him for a few games for the betterment of the whole team.

I'd still play him but give the captaincy to one of the other senior players for a few games. It would have been Faiumu of Ferres but both are unavailable for a few weeks. Maybe Luke Robinson should take the mantle for a few games.

#48 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 10,079 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 10:39 AM

Grix should have walked for that tackle on Whiting. It was a disgrace.

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

#49 Gerri Monside

Gerri Monside
  • Coach
  • 317 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 11:17 AM

Did he punch back?

Don't think so. He certainly ran after Brough, but who wouldn't after being kicked in the face? Pretty sure that when he was carded, Whiting said to Silverwood "so your giving me yellow for NOT throwing a punch". I'd have had Brough in the bin before that for his outburst having had the ball stripped in the first half which led to Miller's try. I'm no lipreading expert, but it looked very like he told Silverwood to "put a fork in a basket" or something like that......

It's an easy kick for the lad but, as we say in Rugby League, there's no easy kicks.

@IanLancaster65

#50 brooza

brooza
  • 4,360 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 11:45 AM

Don't think so. He certainly ran after Brough, but who wouldn't after being kicked in the face? Pretty sure that when he was carded, Whiting said to Silverwood "so your giving me yellow for NOT throwing a punch". I'd have had Brough in the bin before that for his outburst having had the ball stripped in the first half which led to Miller's try. I'm no lipreading expert, but it looked very like he told Silverwood to "put a fork in a basket" or something like that......

It does seem particularly harsh then.

One of the reasons I like Ablett at Leeds is his ability to wind an opposition player up to the point of throwing a punch but having the restraint to not retaliate and just take the blows to the head (was it Huddersfield in the cup last year that he did that?). Maybe the running in could have been seen as provocation or something, I can't really say as i've not seen it yet.

St Albans Centurions 1st Team Manager. Former Medway Dragons Wheelchair RL player.

Leeds Rhinos, St Albans Centurions y Griffons Madrid fan. Also follow (to a lesser extent) Catalans Dragons, London Broncos, South Sydney Rabbitohs, Jacksonville Axemen, Vrchlabi Mad Squirrels, København Black Swans, Red Star Belgrade and North Hertfordshire Crusaders.

#51 brooza

brooza
  • 4,360 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 11:47 AM

Just on the Brough/Whiting incident, am I right in thinking that the chain of events was -

Brough kick out a Whiting

Brough walks away

Whiting chases Brough

Brough punches Whiting

Both players binned?

#52 7723

• Coach
  • 600 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 11:51 AM

Just on the Brough/Whiting incident, am I right in thinking that the chain of events was -

Brough kick out a Whiting

Brough walks away

Whiting chases Brough

Brough punches Whiting

Both players binned?

That was how it looked on TV.

#53 TBC

TBC
  • Coach
  • 752 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 12:58 PM

It does seem particularly harsh then.

One of the reasons I like Ablett at Leeds is his ability to wind an opposition player up to the point of throwing a punch but having the restraint to not retaliate and just take the blows to the head (was it Huddersfield in the cup last year that he did that?). Maybe the running in could have been seen as provocation or something, I can't really say as i've not seen it yet.

It was Wardle who threw the punches at Ablett - got a ban for it if I remember correctly. The only thing Whiting did was chase after Brough so it was harsh being binned. As you say the only thing that could have been for is provocation.

Edited by TBC, 11 April 2014 - 01:48 PM.

#54 brooza

brooza
  • 4,360 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 01:00 PM

That was how it looked on TV.

In which case it does seem harsh. Should have just been a bin for Brough, but I can understand the decision to do both

#55 7723

• Coach
  • 600 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 01:05 PM

In which case it does seem harsh. Should have just been a bin for Brough, but I can understand the decision to do both

Would have been hard for the refs to see with just one look at it due to the amount of players that ran in.

#56 Ullman

Ullman
  • Coach
  • 7,464 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 02:21 PM

My man of the match was Gareth Ellis. His tackling contribution was immense. I like a good workhorse going about his business sometimes unnoticed.

He's having a very good season. He looks in very good shape this time round. The way he's been breaking the ball carrier in half is like the Ellis of old.

"I own up. I am a serial risk taker. I live in a flood zone, cycle without a helmet, drink alcohol and on Sunday I had bacon for breakfast."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users