Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Missing supporters

• Please log in to reply
63 replies to this topic

#1 greavesy

greavesy
  • Coach
  • 503 posts

Posted 09 April 2014 - 07:26 PM

This season the crowds so far in the league games have been poor and the question i would open to debate is what has happened since we reached the Grand Final last season Batley had in the region of 2500 supporters at the game it was a magnificent turnout and i along with other people in our supporters group thaught we may increase our gates by 150-200 instead our support seems to be in decline. Are we entertaining enough, is the cost of admission too high ?.   

#2 Mark B

Mark B
  • Coach
  • 2,212 posts

Posted 09 April 2014 - 08:39 PM

This season the crowds so far in the league games have been poor and the question i would open to debate is what has happened since we reached the Grand Final last season Batley had in the region of 2500 supporters at the game it was a magnificent turnout and i along with other people in our supporters group thaught we may increase our gates by 150-200 instead our support seems to be in decline. Are we entertaining enough, is the cost of admission too high ?.

Great post ! Million dollar question !

Edited by Mark B, 09 April 2014 - 09:05 PM.

Posted Image

#3 phildog

phildog
  • 310 posts

Posted 10 April 2014 - 09:44 AM

I realise that the club's expenses will always continue to rise, nothing comes down these days except rain, so they have to cover those rises in 1 of 2 ways; either get in a lot more well backed sponsorship or put gate prices up. Where I think the club might experiment a little is in the 'concessions' area. There are a lot of people out of work in Batley and 17 quid is a lot out of their benefit, so why not introduce a cut rate admission to people who turn up with a current proof of benefit. The club would be gaining say a 10er a person. Also as I've mentioned before, there are a lot of asian neighbours, many of whom are on the all-weather pitch during games who do enquire about the result as supporters are leaving. Get round the schools and give tickets away, again the club isn't losing except ink for printing. This could help in 3 ways; get more vocal support in the ground, attract asian kids maybe to play the game with Batley Boys and maybe bring in parents or older family members with them who will be paying. If I could help at all with the last point, someone only has to ask!!

#4 Gary Coyle

Gary Coyle
  • Coach
  • 7,139 posts

Posted 10 April 2014 - 10:31 AM

Few lads i know now dont go to Mount purely based on prices, they take up all the £8 for 2 people offers for Entrance, Beer and a burger offers on Wowcher.com, this week its a night at the dogs at Belle Vue in Manchester, next week it is the Speedway at Sheffield, week after its Kinsey track for the Dog racing and so on and so on 

http://www.wowcher.c...ramme/deal.html

at £17 into the Mount per person before beer and a burger you simply cant compete against £8 for 2 people incl entrance, burger and a beer.

Edited by Gary Coyle, 10 April 2014 - 10:34 AM.

#5 colinb

colinb
  • Coach
  • 921 posts

Posted 10 April 2014 - 12:49 PM

Few lads i know now dont go to Mount purely based on prices, they take up all the £8 for 2 people offers for Entrance, Beer and a burger offers on Wowcher.com, this week its a night at the dogs at Belle Vue in Manchester, next week it is the Speedway at Sheffield, week after its Kinsey track for the Dog racing and so on and so on 

http://www.wowcher.c...ramme/deal.html

at £17 into the Mount per person before beer and a burger you simply cant compete against £8 for 2 people incl entrance, burger and a beer.

Sorry Gary and Phildog it's £15 in at the Mount, still high though for the current product being offered, early days for the ''new'' team though.

WHERE DO YOU WANT ME TO SWIPE THIS?

#6 cally

cally
  • Players
  • 70 posts

Posted 10 April 2014 - 12:53 PM

This season the crowds so far in the league games have been poor and the question i would open to debate is what has happened since we reached the Grand Final last season Batley had in the region of 2500 supporters at the game it was a magnificent turnout and i along with other people in our supporters group thaught we may increase our gates by 150-200 instead our support seems to be in decline. Are we entertaining enough, is the cost of admission too high ?.   

think it mainly amounts to apathy among the people of batley graham. at least 10 people ask me the score after each match back in the pub or club. all day opening on a sunday to me has had the most detrimental effect on attendances, people are more likely to sit in the pub and watch sky sports than trail up the hill to watch a bit of live sport involving their local team.

#7 buford t justice

buford t justice
  • Coach
  • 1,807 posts

Posted 10 April 2014 - 01:24 PM

This season the crowds so far in the league games have been poor and the question i would open to debate is what has happened since we reached the Grand Final last season Batley had in the region of 2500 supporters at the game it was a magnificent turnout and i along with other people in our supporters group thaught we may increase our gates by 150-200 instead our support seems to be in decline. Are we entertaining enough, is the cost of admission too high ?.

Said it before and will say it again - every club in the whole game has a marketing / commercial manager - its the one thing a club cant do without in this climate. We dont have one and instead rely on one guy to do it all helped by a few volunteers.

And we wonder why crowds dwindle and theres no advertising.
What we're dealing with here is a complete lack of respect for the law

#8 silverback

silverback
  • Coach
  • 939 posts

Posted 10 April 2014 - 03:33 PM

so much for folks to do now on a weekend, i doubt we would get many more fans if it were £2 in,them that want to support the dogs do so in all weathers if were winning or getting tonked week after week. would love to see the mount packed like for cas game but it wont happen again for a while. garys link shows just how much there is to take part in of a weekend for peanuts. i always try get a few car shows/toy fairs and also a few race meets in a season but its tighten the belt time for a lot a folks and that £50 in petrol for a day out just dont seem to last that long nowadays. :(  maybe do the bring a buddy for free again but that aint a long term fix. plenty of other clubs with low turnouts too, i really think crowds come to see the names in this game who are skillfull so if i win lotto this weekend am just going to buy fevs squad and mount will be packed.

#9 Keep The Faith

Keep The Faith
  • Coach
  • 795 posts

Posted 10 April 2014 - 04:23 PM

so much for folks to do now on a weekend, i doubt we would get many more fans if it were £2 in,them that want to support the dogs do so in all weathers if were winning or getting tonked week after week. would love to see the mount packed like for cas game but it wont happen again for a while. garys link shows just how much there is to take part in of a weekend for peanuts. i always try get a few car shows/toy fairs and also a few race meets in a season but its tighten the belt time for a lot a folks and that £50 in petrol for a day out just dont seem to last that long nowadays. :( maybe do the bring a buddy for free again but that aint a long term fix. plenty of other clubs with low turnouts too, i really think crowds come to see the names in this game who are skillfull so if i win lotto this weekend am just going to buy fevs squad and mount will be packed.

wouldn't waste my money on fevs team

#10 silverback

silverback
  • Coach
  • 939 posts

Posted 10 April 2014 - 04:59 PM

wouldn't waste my money on fevs team

?why not,they get decent crowds thats for sure. i would still keep baz n rowie. :bb:

#11 Keep The Faith

Keep The Faith
  • Coach
  • 795 posts

Posted 10 April 2014 - 05:28 PM

?why not,they get decent crowds thats for sure. i would still keep baz n rowie. :bb:

because they always have due to there ambition e.g aim for super league and there squad isn't that good

#12 silverback

silverback
  • Coach
  • 939 posts

Posted 10 April 2014 - 06:59 PM

because they always have due to there ambition e.g aim for super league and there squad isn't that good

nowt wrong with ambition, plenty of quality players in the fev side,all are playing for a shirt week in week out and if they do get a chance at getting a crack at sl they will only be an handfull a signings of taking part i reckon. their fan base for a little town and sl clubs on their doorstep makes our 400 fan base a joke.

onwards and upwards lets see crowd sunday for keighley game.750 tops/ less if its lashing it down.

#13 greavesy

greavesy
  • Coach
  • 503 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 08:53 AM

nowt wrong with ambition, plenty of quality players in the fev side,all are playing for a shirt week in week out and if they do get a chance at getting a crack at sl they will only be an handfull a signings of taking part i reckon. their fan base for a little town and sl clubs on their doorstep makes our 400 fan base a joke.

onwards and upwards lets see crowd sunday for keighley game.750 tops/ less if its lashing it down.

They dont have 1000,s of people who have no intention of attending a match

#14 beestondog

beestondog
  • Players
  • 50 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 07:05 PM

I've missed odd games due to ill health, having to work and holidays etc but I gutted to say this week is the first I've had to miss due to lack of funds. (and it hurts).

#15 silverback

silverback
  • Coach
  • 939 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 10:41 PM

They dont have 1000,s of people who have no intention of attending a match

they must do.not everyone in fev gets up sunday morning thinking a game over bacon and eggs. their fans come from all over area like hemsworth.normanton.cas.wakefield.barnsley.kippax.garforth. i understand what you mean slightly but we have fans from mirfield,cleckheaton.dewsbury.ossett,hecky. but dont get the 2 or 3 thousand fans fev get,so is it the product on the pitch or the fact they have a lot a people on board wanting to be top a the tree not fighting to stay in top 9. i aint too fussed about sl myself as our game is better to me but we should have at least a thousand fans every game for home games. how we get them am not sure as even been the champions we still had 900 at first game at home....... :(

#16 Morleydog

Morleydog
  • Coach
  • 397 posts

Posted 12 April 2014 - 06:56 AM

And Morley:)

#17 bulldogtrev

bulldogtrev
  • Coach
  • 416 posts

Posted 12 April 2014 - 11:31 AM

Having junior games at half time, linking up with a Dance Academy to promote classes/ courses and events including allowing the dancers to dance at half time of a Batley match and looking for ways to keep Batley Bulldogs in the thoughts of the general Batley/ Heavy woollen public.

Last night Birstall Vic had a kids team playing at halftime during the Leeds v Wakefield game and Leeds also have a junior Dance Academy which runs courses throughout the year and the kids dance at events including a Leeds Rhinos game . At one game there was an estimated 400 dancers which attracted the parents, Grandparents etc...probably adding 1,500 to the normal crowd.

In May it will be the 90th anniversary of Batley's 1924 Championship win why don't the club contact the Batley News/Press to do a piece in the Nostalgia section and the Batley Library to do an exhibition showing the events of the final through the Newspapers of the time. 

Edited by bulldogtrev, 12 April 2014 - 11:34 AM.

"Anyone who does not watch rugby league is not a real person."

-John Singleton,

#18 greavesy

greavesy
  • Coach
  • 503 posts

Posted 12 April 2014 - 12:33 PM

they must do.not everyone in fev gets up sunday morning thinking a game over bacon and eggs. their fans come from all over area like hemsworth.normanton.cas.wakefield.barnsley.kippax.garforth. i understand what you mean slightly but we have fans from mirfield,cleckheaton.dewsbury.ossett,hecky. but dont get the 2 or 3 thousand fans fev get,so is it the product on the pitch or the fact they have a lot a people on board wanting to be top a the tree not fighting to stay in top 9. i aint too fussed about sl myself as our game is better to me but we should have at least a thousand fans every game for home games. how we get them am not sure as even been the champions we still had 900 at first game at home....... :(

I totally agree with you that we should not be playing to crowds less than 1000 it is a damning endictment on the Batley sporting public. You missed my point on the people who will never attend They surround our stadium. I think at the last count we had 1  asian supporter who does not even live in Batley. Theirs is the growing population of Batley and if we cannot entice them to attend the mount attendances will only go one way. 

#19 silverback

silverback
  • Coach
  • 939 posts

Posted 12 April 2014 - 01:14 PM

I totally agree with you that we should not be playing to crowds less than 1000 it is a damning endictment on the Batley sporting public. You missed my point on the people who will never attend They surround our stadium. I think at the last count we had 1  asian supporter who does not even live in Batley. Theirs is the growing population of Batley and if we cannot entice them to attend the mount attendances will only go one way. 

yep, i did get your point about fans local thast why i mentioned i understand without getting into a debate about local folks who love the cricket more than rugby,that wont change unless we attract a few youth players from the asian youngsters. when you think about the support for us when we were playing some real great rugby and had a few more characters to bring in the crowds i dont think it was a great deal more,i know lots a folks who rather have a rhino or giants season ticket and they are the ones we need to get back to the mount,how we do that i aint a clue. a lot a clubs dont even give crowds out now as there so pi** poor.

Edited by silverback, 12 April 2014 - 01:15 PM.

#20 grumpyoldram

grumpyoldram
  • Coach
  • 2,691 posts

Posted 12 April 2014 - 04:01 PM

Problem is silverback, the Asian population tend to be football fans - you see them kicking a football about, but never a rugby ball. Pakistan actually has an international RL team, but have you ever seen coverage of their games in any of the sports media ? Asia, like Africa is by and large a football stronghold and that seems to be the preferred sport of British Asians. Sadly most championship clubs - and a few SL clubs are losing their support base to other distractions. Having said that, given the dog's achievements in the last few years, there should have been a  a continuing support, if not a growing one. I do also believe that clubs like Batley and Dewsbury, who have chairmen with realistic ambitions, have suffered for their refusal to chase the dream.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users