Missing supporters

• Please log in to reply
63 replies to this topic

#41 Blind side johnny

Blind side johnny
  • Coach
  • 9,275 posts

Posted 15 April 2014 - 01:54 PM

What would it cost to have a free game for everyone? Perhaps target one of the Cumbrian games and just open the gates (after bombarding the local are with leaflets and handouts at Tesco's and local press etc)

A nice sunny afternoon, bouncy castle for the kids. The extra food and beer sales would ofset some of the loss. I appreciate the season ticket holders wouldn't be happy but they would be helping their club. You could also have a donation gate where you can pay what you want to help .

I reckon on a poor crowd vs a cumbrian team we would get 600. knock off 250 season ticket holders that's 350. If they are a mix of consessions & adults that's around £4000K

Why not start a fund to raise money for a free open day and see what happens?

Good idea PM, although I think £4M is just a bit more than a couple of year's turnover.

What's to lose by giving it a go?

Believe what you see, don't see what you believe.

John Ray (1627 - 1705)

#42 Gary Coyle

Gary Coyle
  • Coach
  • 7,120 posts

Posted 15 April 2014 - 02:25 PM

:lol: Sadly the real world is seeing a decent product being watched by fewer and fewer people Gary

Thats sorta what i was getting at, nothing can change that, times move on and so do peoples priorities.

#43 fredm

fredm
  • Coach
  • 1,497 posts

Posted 15 April 2014 - 02:51 PM

Umm.  Drastic but very thought provoking PM, especially with having a donation gate for those who want the club to survive.

#44 M Hopkins

M Hopkins
  • 643 posts

Posted 15 April 2014 - 09:45 PM

You really think 1 free game will gain new fans? I think not.

I think my point was totally missed. It would seem there is no point trying anything to gain new supporters. On one hand people complain that locals don't come to the games. On the other you need to get them to at least half a season before they will begin to feel like it's their club. From then on you may gain some long term paying fans. It took 2 seasons before I started attending every game in a season and bought my first season ticket. But I guess we shouldn't try anything like that as those same fans who moan about the locals not coming to games would moan more if they were there.

#45 M Hopkins

M Hopkins
  • 643 posts

Posted 15 April 2014 - 09:53 PM

Thats sorta what i was getting at, nothing can change that, times move on and so do peoples priorities.

Other sports (who charge more than double and triple the cost of a trip to the mount) don't seem to struggle getting the crowds in. There's always an excuse. It's easier to do nothing and make excuses or just complain about it.

#46 Gary Coyle

Gary Coyle
  • Coach
  • 7,120 posts

Posted 16 April 2014 - 05:44 AM

Other sports (who charge more than double and triple the cost of a trip to the mount) don't seem to struggle getting the crowds in. There's always an excuse. It's easier to do nothing and make excuses or just complain about it.

And i wasn't even talking about cost yet you turn it into a cost thing, well done.

Other people have different priorities wether that includes going to watch the Giants or Rhinos, going to the coast, a day in the Lakes or a day at the dog track, it doesnt matter, what does matter is people choose to do something different with their time, end of.

Youre seriously not telling anybody anything which hasn't been discussed a thousand times before (and acted upon)

Spending up to £80 to take the wife and kids out to watch the Bulldogs isn't very high on many peoples list of priorities be they English born or of Asian background (Cricket is free)

#47 cally

cally
  • Players
  • 64 posts

Posted 16 April 2014 - 09:18 AM

why not put a sale sign up at the turnstyles that might attract the locals it works at tescos

#48 Gary Coyle

Gary Coyle
  • Coach
  • 7,120 posts

Posted 16 April 2014 - 11:15 AM

Run a free bus from Tescos

#49 EQUALIZER

EQUALIZER
  • Coach
  • 1,500 posts

Posted 16 April 2014 - 02:15 PM

Run a free bus from Tescos

or William Hills.

#50 DEWSBURY TIL I DIE

DEWSBURY TIL I DIE
  • Coach
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 17 April 2014 - 12:24 PM

People may not like this but my dad( rams fan)as said this for years now and iv only just started to sort of agree in away... Maybe in the long term dewsbury and batley may need to merge a club to survive??? No offence to batley but I can't see a good longterm future for you as opposed to the rams with the development and bigger crowds over the last few years despite relegation battles. You've been a top 5 club outside superleague for a while now and had some decent success yet you don't get the crowds you'd expect and deserve. If both clubs were merged or one sadly folded, they would be a bigger catchment area to attract supporters. Say one day in the future this did happen, do you think a combined successful club from the heavy woollen district would generate crowds of over 1k every week? I think it would easily. Rams have a hardcore 750, dogs around 550-600. If both merged that would give home crowds of 1300 every week minus away followings and this without been high flyers in the league as the 1300 would be loyal supporters. Put it this way, I reckon if both did merge and had ambitions of superleague maybe then wel start to see the crowds improve and gain them dewsbury and batley born giants bulls leeds fans to our matches. End of day it's a poor supported league and even likes of hull kr and wakey only got 1500 in our league before superleague.. Maybe the rugby league should look at poor crowds at our level instead of wasting thousands of pounds on other development clubs away from the rugby league corridor and help clubs to sort things out because you only have to look at crowds after fev Halifax and Leigh to see how poor the championship is supported. Hope this doesn't cause offence to any dews or batley fans but just an opinion on the long term future of both our clubs..

Edited by DEWSBURY TIL I DIE, 17 April 2014 - 01:23 PM.

#51 DEWSBURY TIL I DIE

DEWSBURY TIL I DIE
  • Coach
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 17 April 2014 - 01:25 PM

I think both clubs can do more to get the fans in though. Like people say, people won't just come to you, we've got to get into people's faces to show our product and club because both clubs deserve to be better supported

Edited by DEWSBURY TIL I DIE, 17 April 2014 - 01:26 PM.

#52 Piggy's mate

Piggy's mate
  • Coach
  • 3,105 posts

Posted 17 April 2014 - 01:41 PM

I think which ever club in effect closed (thinking of Shuddersfield) most people would drift away from the sport or like myself probably switch to Wakey of Fev

Now where did I leave that pointy thing that bloke Damocles gave me, I've work to do!

BATLEY BULLDOGS RLFC :bb:

#53 RPH

RPH
  • Coach
  • 637 posts

Posted 17 April 2014 - 03:22 PM

imo...i cant see Batley supporters going up to the Tip Rat to support a joint club...the ground is in Dewsbury...maybe you could pull the tip rat down.....and then your welcome to come up to the mount ?.....

now if we could find a spot for a ground that overlapped the boundary.....???

#54 greavesy

greavesy
  • Coach
  • 476 posts

Posted 17 April 2014 - 09:31 PM

imo...i cant see Batley supporters going up to the Tip Rat to support a joint club...the ground is in Dewsbury...maybe you could pull the tip rat down.....and then your welcome to come up to the mount ?.....

now if we could find a spot for a ground that overlapped the boundary.....???

As long as Kevin Nicholas is in charge of the Bulldogs there will be no merger That suits me fine. "WE ARE BATLEY BULLDOGS " see you all tommorow.

#55 Ramite

Ramite
  • Coach
  • 834 posts

Posted 18 April 2014 - 07:57 AM

I would like to see the idea of a merged A team looked at. A merger of the clubs completely is a non runner however there maybe some good to a combined A team. I would rather see a combined A team that not have one at all.
Homer: How is education supposed to make me feel smarter? Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain. Remember when I took that home winemaking course, and I forgot how to drive?

[

i]Mr. Burns: Woah, slow down there maestro. There's a *New* Mexico?[/i]

#56 silverback

silverback
  • Coach
  • 885 posts

Posted 18 April 2014 - 12:37 PM

I would like to see the idea of a merged A team looked at. A merger of the clubs completely is a non runner however there maybe some good to a combined A team. I would rather see a combined A team that not have one at all.

we had a dews/batley mixed second team at one point years ago.not sure why it dident work but there was plenty training from both camps.

#57 DEWSBURY TIL I DIE

DEWSBURY TIL I DIE
  • Coach
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 18 April 2014 - 01:23 PM

That would be a decent idea, a combined rams dogs a team..atleest then both clubs can give runs ours to fringe players and local amatuers with huge potential. Although rumour as it the rams will have a second team next season for fringe players like the 3 lads at Gloucester and Shaun Robinson who's now joined Rochdale on loan

Edited by DEWSBURY TIL I DIE, 18 April 2014 - 01:24 PM.

#58 silverback

silverback
  • Coach
  • 885 posts

Posted 18 April 2014 - 01:51 PM

we used to get decent crowds for second team games too and acadamy games so not sure if it would bring in revenue to offset against the costs of said extra team. hard work getting crowds for first team games, i note dtid mentioned dewsburys hardcore of 750 fans higher up this page, if they were hardcor then why is there only maybe 300 at our games and 100 at the most in the crowd of only 278 for swinton game last week. some real bad crowds that need sorting before any club as a chance of a second team that am told costs at least £25.000 a season nowadays. anyways suns shining, beers getting cold, lets see 2.000 fans up at teabag stadium tonight for a classic old biff n bang game.all the best.  humptie dumpies barmy army. :bb:

#59 Blind side johnny

Blind side johnny
  • Coach
  • 9,275 posts

Posted 18 April 2014 - 01:55 PM

we used to get decent crowds for second team games too and acadamy games so not sure if it would bring in revenue to offset against the costs of said extra team. hard work getting crowds for first team games, i note dtid mentioned dewsburys hardcore of 750 fans higher up this page, if they were hardcor then why is there only maybe 300 at our games and 100 at the most in the crowd of only 278 for swinton game last week. some real bad crowds that need sorting before any club as a chance of a second team that am told costs at least £25.000 a season nowadays. anyways suns shining, beers getting cold, lets see 2.000 fans up at teabag stadium tonight for a classic old biff n bang game.all the best.  humptie dumpies barmy army. :bb:

Clearly he meant home support, and the gate at Swinton was 412 - nothing to boast about but let's be accurate.

Championship clubs are all struggling, with a very few exceptions, and the solution isn't obvious to anyone, least of all me.

Believe what you see, don't see what you believe.

John Ray (1627 - 1705)

#60 silverback

silverback
  • Coach
  • 885 posts

Posted 18 April 2014 - 02:09 PM

Clearly he meant home support, and the gate at Swinton was 412 - nothing to boast about but let's be accurate.

Championship clubs are all struggling, with a very few exceptions, and the solution isn't obvious to anyone, least of all me.

yep you must be right bsj,

i had seen the post a few days back were the swinton fella mentions his last 4 home games been poor and yours looked like last figure.

Peewagg, on 14 Apr 2014 - 5:18 PM, said:snapback.png

Just noticed that we had the second-lowest attendance yesterday, of ALL games in ALL leagues! The only game with fewer speccies was at Gloucester 'Old' Spots! Disgraceful :-(

. The corresponding fixture against Dewsbury last season at the same time of year attracted 567 .Indeed the last four home attendances have been 412 427 403 and 249.What happened to all those fans who used to turn up at the Willows? Attendances in C1 don't bare thinking about!

Edited by duffymoon, 14 April 2014 - 05:39 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users