Missing supporters

• Please log in to reply
63 replies to this topic

#61 bulldogtrev

bulldogtrev
  • Coach
  • 416 posts

Posted 19 April 2014 - 06:50 AM

People may not like this but my dad( rams fan)as said this for years now and iv only just started to sort of agree in away... Maybe in the long term dewsbury and batley may need to merge a club to survive??? No offence to batley but I can't see a good longterm future for you as opposed to the rams with the development and bigger crowds over the last few years despite relegation battles. You've been a top 5 club outside superleague for a while now and had some decent success yet you don't get the crowds you'd expect and deserve. If both clubs were merged or one sadly folded, they would be a bigger catchment area to attract supporters. Say one day in the future this did happen, do you think a combined successful club from the heavy woollen district would generate crowds of over 1k every week? I think it would easily. Rams have a hardcore 750, dogs around 550-600. If both merged that would give home crowds of 1300 every week minus away followings and this without been high flyers in the league as the 1300 would be loyal supporters. Put it this way, I reckon if both did merge and had ambitions of superleague maybe then wel start to see the crowds improve and gain them dewsbury and batley born giants bulls leeds fans to our matches. End of day it's a poor supported league and even likes of hull kr and wakey only got 1500 in our league before superleague.. Maybe the rugby league should look at poor crowds at our level instead of wasting thousands of pounds on other development clubs away from the rugby league corridor and help clubs to sort things out because you only have to look at crowds after fev Halifax and Leigh to see how poor the championship is supported. Hope this doesn't cause offence to any dews or batley fans but just an opinion on the long term future of both our clubs..

No chance. A merger would not make any difference to crowds in the long run. Dewsbury and Batley have the same problems when attracting support. The only reason Dewsbury have bigger crowds is because it is a town with a larger population. 

"Anyone who does not watch rugby league is not a real person."

-John Singleton,

#62 silverback

silverback
  • Coach
  • 1,008 posts

Posted 19 April 2014 - 10:36 AM

well i doubt last nights game will have inspired anyone,any new folks who made the game will be up at rams buying a new jumper.i think by sounds of a lot a fans last night our crowds will dwindle even more now as we look at other teams who have built on last years squads and brought in players to build on what they already had while we lost our main stay and ended up with a dozen players who most of em simply aint up to it, i can see why other clubs get a decent turn out from fans by the quality on show on the pitch. as a fan of 35+ years i feel like am been sold well short. :(

#63 Blind side johnny

Blind side johnny
  • Coach
  • 9,759 posts

Posted 19 April 2014 - 11:20 AM

Last night's game was intriguing though because of the attendance that it drew. as far as I am aware there was no real special promotion of the game yet 2000 people turned up to watch - far more than the total of regular Batley and Dewsbury fans put together. Viewed simplistically this can be seen as 700 floating fans who could conceivably be attracted to attend more regularly if the right conditions were created to attract them.

Undoubtedly the day, weather, kick-off time, lack of sport on TV etc will have played a part, but there should be something there to inspire a degree of optimism for those trying to promote Championship RL in our area. All is not lost, surely?

Believe what you see, don't see what you believe.

John Ray (1627 - 1705)

#64 vile rodders

vile rodders
  • Coach
  • 179 posts

Posted 19 April 2014 - 04:16 PM

No chance of us attracting bigger crowds with the dross we're serving up this season.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users