Anybody with legal expertise?

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 bbfaz

bbfaz
  • Coach
  • 218 posts

Posted 10 April 2014 - 01:02 AM

Yes, this probably belongs in the Community section but I thought it'd get more views here.  I've been speaking with one of the other amateur clubs in London and they've been hit with a "cease and desist" order from an after school sports class.  They were not a registered rugby club, although during this little spat they've suddenly registered themselves with the RFU.  The guy has put a lot of work in to launch in 2014 but will now have to put off until 2015 if at all and likely under a different name.  Anybody with any legal expertise in this area or know anybody who has?  He has no money to fight this, it's a shoestring amateur operation.

Beckenham Bears RL - Rugby League in South East London

#2 Bedford Roughyed

Bedford Roughyed
  • 5,291 posts

Posted 10 April 2014 - 05:19 AM

Someone tried to stop us using the 'Tigers' name when we started.  We told them to sod off.  Nothing more heard. 

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

#3 ckn

ckn
  • Admin
  • 16,873 posts

Posted 10 April 2014 - 06:41 AM

A cease and desist from doing what?  You'll need to be a bit more specific...

Arguing with the forum trolls is like playing chess with a pigeon.  No matter how good you are, the bird will **** on the board and strut around like it won anyway

#4 EastLondonMike

EastLondonMike
  • Coach
  • 4,192 posts

Posted 10 April 2014 - 07:59 AM

Why not just change the name?..

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

#5 brooza

brooza
  • 4,366 posts

Posted 10 April 2014 - 08:08 AM

Why not just change the name?..

But why should they if there's no legal reason to and they have an established brand (no idea who the club is)

St Albans Centurions 1st Team Manager. Former Medway Dragons Wheelchair RL player.

Leeds Rhinos, St Albans Centurions y Griffons Madrid fan. Also follow (to a lesser extent) Catalans Dragons, London Broncos, South Sydney Rabbitohs, Jacksonville Axemen, Vrchlabi Mad Squirrels, København Black Swans, Red Star Belgrade and North Hertfordshire Crusaders.

Moderator of the International board

#6 Bob8

Bob8
  • Coach
  • 9,498 posts

Posted 10 April 2014 - 08:15 AM

Normally, cease and desist letters are to make a point rather than to have any effect.  Clubs called "All Blacks" will occasionally have stiff letters from the  NZRU, but it is to protect their trademark and demonstrate that they claim with right to the term and prevent New Earswick All Blacks passing themselves off as the New Zealand national rugby union team.

Sometimes it is more serious and seeking expertise is the best option.

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

”I am all for expansion but not to start and string the teams all over the place” – stewpot01 – 11 July 2014

"2013 is on course to be one of the most disastrous in its history." - Creditwhereitsdews - 2nd January 2013

#7 zorquif

zorquif
  • Coach
  • 1,522 posts

Posted 10 April 2014 - 09:29 AM

What are they basis the cease and desist letter on? What rights are they trying to exercise?

#8 Tonka

Tonka
  • Coach
  • 698 posts

Posted 10 April 2014 - 09:49 AM

I am assuming that the after school sports club is saying that your mate's club must cease and desist from using the same or a similar name.

The name of the sports club may have IP protection.  It could be protected a number of ways: copyright, design rights, trade marks.

Here is a good note on the subject (slightly outdated but still holds good: http://www.out-law.com/page-5541)

I'd be surprised if an after school club has any of the above, but it is possible.  It isn't even clear that it is a recognised organisation that could lay claim to such rights.

I highly doubt (althoguh it's not impossible) that the after school sports club has any appetitie or the funds to actually seek a remedy from the Court - so your mate's club can probably press on.

To keep the peace though if it can be re-branded without to much additional cost then do that.  Or why not try a joint initiative e.g. joint fund-raising ? (don't know if the club is also rugby though)

THIS IS NOT LEGAL ADVICE!

#9 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,786 posts

Posted 10 April 2014 - 11:11 AM

If there's a dispute over the name, why does he need to cease operating ?

As EastLondonMike says, why not just change the name ?

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

#10 The 4 of Us

The 4 of Us
  • Coach
  • 1,684 posts

Posted 10 April 2014 - 11:24 AM

If there's a dispute over the name, why does he need to cease operating ?

As EastLondonMike says, why not just change the name ?

Brooza says why should they. Short answer is because they can't afford not to.

Lots of people have very good legal cases problem is the cost of pursuing them. May sound harsh but if he's worried about the principal of the matter, he needs to put his money where his mouth is or find another solution and move on.

#11 Wellsy4HullFC

Wellsy4HullFC
  • Coach
  • 9,867 posts

Posted 10 April 2014 - 11:32 AM

I don't quite understand the question. Legal advice to do with what?

What has he been asked to cease and desist from doing? You've not actually said.
Posted Image

#12 zorquif

zorquif
  • Coach
  • 1,522 posts

Posted 10 April 2014 - 12:15 PM

As with Tonka, this is just informal and is not to be taken to constitute advice...

However, copyright does not protect ideas, or such things as names or titles - UK IPO website

For the purposes of registration, a design is legally defined as being "the appearance of the whole or part of a product resulting from the features of, in particular, the lines, contours, colours, shape, texture or materials of the product or ornamentation." - so I can't see how a name could fall under design right

So we are left with trademarks or passing off...

#13 Tonka

Tonka
  • Coach
  • 698 posts

Posted 10 April 2014 - 01:29 PM

As with Tonka, this is just informal and is not to be taken to constitute advice...

However, copyright does not protect ideas, or such things as names or titles - UK IPO website

For the purposes of registration, a design is legally defined as being "the appearance of the whole or part of a product resulting from the features of, in particular, the lines, contours, colours, shape, texture or materials of the product or ornamentation." - so I can't see how a name could fall under design right

So we are left with trademarks or passing off...

I wondered if it was the particular logo that could be copyright protected or design registered... 

#14 Tonka

Tonka
  • Coach
  • 698 posts

Posted 10 April 2014 - 01:31 PM

Passing off it will be

#15 bbfaz

bbfaz
  • Coach
  • 218 posts

Posted 10 April 2014 - 02:25 PM

Finding out more info guys.

Beckenham Bears RL - Rugby League in South East London

#16 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,786 posts

Posted 10 April 2014 - 02:39 PM

Brooza says why should they. Short answer is because they can't afford not to.

Can't they ?  Well, that depends on how they perceive the risk.  We can't make such judgment calls on the basis of the scant information provided.

Either way - I wouldn't be closing down the club or postponing operations for a year.  Not necessary at all.  There are other options.

Edited by Griff, 10 April 2014 - 02:41 PM.

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

#17 zorquif

zorquif
  • Coach
  • 1,522 posts

Posted 10 April 2014 - 02:42 PM

I wondered if it was the particular logo that could be copyright protected or design registered... 

The logo could be copyright, I am not sure about design rights - only if it was part of a product (say a shirt). But in that case, change them!

Passing off would be a funny one to look into. The other club is a different sport - I suppose that as long as he says to every new comer 'look, we are RL NOT RU, they are down the road, and we have nowt to do with them' there could be no misrepresentation, so passing off would fail...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users