Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Dual Reg with Salford

• Please log in to reply
63 replies to this topic

#1 raiders96

raiders96
  • Coach
  • 377 posts

Posted 10 April 2014 - 11:39 AM

Barrow Raiders are pleased to announce that they have entered a Dual Registration Partnership with Salford Reds.

As a Club we need to use every means available to us to secure our place in the top nine this season.

We cannot afford to buy the quality of player we need to secure a top nine finish and Dual Registration allows us to do this. We have also suffered a high level of injuries to key players and Dual Registration will allow us to field a strong competitive team.

We are an ambitious Club and have done incredibly well to come through a very difficult time off the field. As we have to be very conscious of our budgets Dual Registration allows us to move forward and compete at a higher level without damaging our budget restraints.

We look forward to a close and successful relationship with Salford that will allow the Club the best opportunity to remain in the Championship next year under the guidance of ouor Coach, Bobby Goulding.

David Sharpe
On Behalf of the BOD

#2 raiders96

raiders96
  • Coach
  • 377 posts

Posted 10 April 2014 - 11:42 AM

I don't know what to think of this yet, guess we will have to see how we use it. Hopefully not go down the same route as the likes of Swinton, Workington etc.

#3 Keith T

Keith T
  • Coach
  • 8,707 posts

Posted 10 April 2014 - 11:52 AM

I don't know what to think of this yet, guess we will have to see how we use it. Hopefully not go down the same route as the likes of Swinton, Workington etc.

Explain what route you think Workington have gone down, please? Last season under the DR system Town played it by the book and only took players from Widnes when they were short of players in certain positions. It caught us out at the end of the season when we needed more players but they weren't forthcoming.

This season we are partnered with Wigan and we have had 3 young players - Murphy, Tierney and Lever - playing for us, all of whom are not first team regulars. One match we had 6 players out injured or suspended and we had released 2 others from a squad of 23 and we played 5 Wigan players in order to put out a team on the field. There wont be 5 this week and there hasn't been as many as 5 any other weeks.

I remember when .............................

"It is impossible not to feel a twinge of sympathy for Workington Town, the fall guys this season for the Super League's determination to retain it's European dimension, in the shape of Paris. While the French have had every assistance to survive, the importance of having a flagship in a heartland area like West Cumbria has been conveniently forgotten." - Dave Hadfield - Independent 25th August 1996.

#4 DemonUK

DemonUK
  • Coach
  • 293 posts

Posted 10 April 2014 - 12:02 PM

You can only have a total of 5 players on Loan or DR can't you.  You already have 4 on loan from Leigh so how is this going to benefit you?

Sorry folks, no forecast comp this year

#5 topchef

topchef
  • Coach
  • 373 posts

Posted 10 April 2014 - 12:03 PM

The dreaded day has arrived!

Many will welcome it, I'm sure.  Not me, though.  

We are where we are.  

Mr Johnston buying the Championship in 2009 seems an age ago now and here we are now with a begging bowl as his legacy.  We done Des, I hope you are very pleased with yourself.

Moff
Go Cumbria!

#6 raiders4sl

raiders4sl
  • Coach
  • 651 posts

Posted 10 April 2014 - 12:04 PM

Thought they were called Salford Red Devils now?

#7 raiders96

raiders96
  • Coach
  • 377 posts

Posted 10 April 2014 - 12:10 PM

Explain what route you think Workington have gone down, please? Last season under the DR system Town played it by the book and only took players from Widnes when they were short of players in certain positions. It caught us out at the end of the season when we needed more players but they weren't forthcoming.

This season we are partnered with Wigan and we have had 3 young players - Murphy, Tierney and Lever - playing for us, all of whom are not first team regulars. One match we had 6 players out injured or suspended and we had released 2 others from a squad of 23 and we played 5 Wigan players in order to put out a team on the field. There wont be 5 this week and there hasn't been as many as 5 any other weeks.

Jack Hughes, Paddy Flynn, Gil Dudson, Jordan James, Danny Craven, Macgraff Leuluai, Declan Hulme all super league first team players making appearances for Workington. What I mean is I hope we don't abuse the DR system getting all the first team players that don't get picked for them.

#8 Keith T

Keith T
  • Coach
  • 8,707 posts

Posted 10 April 2014 - 01:38 PM

Jack Hughes, Paddy Flynn, Gil Dudson, Jordan James, Danny Craven, Macgraff Leuluai, Declan Hulme all super league first team players making appearances for Workington. What I mean is I hope we don't abuse the DR system getting all the first team players that don't get picked for them.

Macgraff Leuluai played 1 game for us last year, Danny Craven played 1 and a half games for us last year. Declan Hulme and Paddy Flynn weren't first team players at Widnes last year. This year Jack Hughes played 1 game for us and 3 for Wigan, Dudson 2 games for us, James 2 games for us. Out of the players you name only Dudson and James could be said to be anywhere near regular first team players. The other lads we have had from Wigan are all non-first team players, I think Tierney has played 1 game for Wigan and the same for Murphy but Lever hasn't played any first team games. So I don't think you can say that Town are abusing the system.

There are lots of other clubs "abusing" the system if that is the criteria. Latest is Ben Crooks going out to play for Doncaster from Hull for 2 or 3 games to get his confidence back. Young player of the year last season in SL wasn't he?

"It is impossible not to feel a twinge of sympathy for Workington Town, the fall guys this season for the Super League's determination to retain it's European dimension, in the shape of Paris. While the French have had every assistance to survive, the importance of having a flagship in a heartland area like West Cumbria has been conveniently forgotten." - Dave Hadfield - Independent 25th August 1996.

#9 raiders96

raiders96
  • Coach
  • 377 posts

Posted 10 April 2014 - 01:50 PM

So I don't think you can say that Town are abusing the system.

Cant remember saying that

#10 Dave W

Dave W
  • Coach
  • 1,174 posts

Posted 10 April 2014 - 01:55 PM

It's quite clear the DR system has changed since it was originally mooted. To accuse teams of 'abusing' the system, when clubs are merely operating to best advantage within the rules laid out by the RFL, sounds like sour grapes.

The trick is to make sure it works to mutual advantage and not have the junior team dictated to as regards who plays.

As for us, it's clear that we're very quickly losing ground in this division and that the current policy of effectively being a rest home for fringe Leigh players doesn't seem to be working.

#11 Keith T

Keith T
  • Coach
  • 8,707 posts

Posted 10 April 2014 - 01:57 PM

Sounds very much like it to me, after naming all the players that played for Town last year and this!!!!!

#12 raiders96

raiders96
  • Coach
  • 377 posts

Posted 10 April 2014 - 01:59 PM

Sounds very much like it to me, after naming all the players that played for Town last year and this!!!!!

Knew there would be someone that snaps

#13 morty

morty
  • Coach
  • 2,134 posts

Posted 10 April 2014 - 02:22 PM

Workington are doing nothing wrong just the same as Swinton et al. We should use available Salford players when and if necessary if they are of a higher quality than we already have to help us stay up its as simple as that. Love it or hate it the DR system has helped some clubs others it hasnt. Now we are in it lets hope Salford help us make it work !!

Lee Morton

Raiders have risen from the ashes

#14 alba

alba
  • Coach
  • 206 posts

Posted 10 April 2014 - 02:37 PM

It's quite clear the DR system has changed since it was originally mooted. To accuse teams of 'abusing' the system, when clubs are merely operating to best advantage within the rules laid out by the RFL, sounds like sour grapes.

The trick is to make sure it works to mutual advantage and not have the junior team dictated to as regards who plays.

As for us, it's clear that we're very quickly losing ground in this division and that the current policy of effectively being a rest home for fringe Leigh players doesn't seem to be working.

If the Leigh players were returned what would the position be with Haggerty

#15 morty

morty
  • Coach
  • 2,134 posts

Posted 10 April 2014 - 02:54 PM

I think we can write Haggerty off ... now that was a bum deal for the club

Lee Morton

Raiders have risen from the ashes

#16 Dave W

Dave W
  • Coach
  • 1,174 posts

Posted 10 April 2014 - 03:04 PM

If the Leigh players were returned what would the position be with Haggerty

That's a very good question!

#17 Keith T

Keith T
  • Coach
  • 8,707 posts

Posted 10 April 2014 - 03:08 PM

Knew there would be someone that snaps

I hate the DR system as much as anybody but I can't see the sense in burying your head under the sand and hoping that it will go away. The system is there until it is abolished or amended and teams either use it to their advantage or they suffer the consequences, unless of course you are one of the strong two, Leigh and Fev who can manage without it. Griping and moaning on here and elsewhere about the DR system doesn't alter it one little bit and more clubs are using it to it's fullest each week. I believe next year it is being reduced to 3 players in a matchday 17 players instead of the current 5 that can be either DR or loans.

#18 alba

alba
  • Coach
  • 206 posts

Posted 10 April 2014 - 03:24 PM

I hate the DR system as much as anybody but I can't see the sense in burying your head under the sand and hoping that it will go away. The system is there until it is abolished or amended and teams either use it to their advantage or they suffer the consequences, unless of course you are one of the strong two, Leigh and Fev who can manage without it. Griping and moaning on here and elsewhere about the DR system doesn't alter it one little bit and more clubs are using it to it's fullest each week. I believe next year it is being reduced to 3 players in a matchday 17 players instead of the current 5 that can be either DR or loans.

I don't like DR either but, I agree Keith it is silly to have a go at each other, we have to stick together, especially with the uncertain future all the clubs in Cumbria have 

#19 gary high

gary high
  • Coach
  • 1,515 posts

Posted 10 April 2014 - 04:00 PM

This isn't amateur rugby. Barrow RLFC is a business and if DR suits the business then so be it. If Barrow are relegated (which is currently looking likely) then there will be no chance of bringing in top signings. Why wouldn't you want to see the likes of Adrian Morley playing in a Barrow shirt? I just don't get it. It seems clear that the current squad just isn't cutting the mustard so tough decisions need to be made and this is one of them. Why fight out a relegation battle to simply stand by some mis guided morals when others around you are exploiting a loophole?

Maybe a winning side will attract more people through the gates, bringing in more money to the BUSINESS and resulting in funds to purchase top quality players. If Workington can attract decent DR players then you should all be looking forward to watching some SL standard players - there has been enough bitching about the current crop. I just hope that some stability can be obtained by the appointment of Goulding and that Barrow can once again become a force in the Championship. Relegation will be a disaster and if Goulding keeps Barrow up he will IMO have pulled of a miracle and likely have achieved the goal he has been set as part of his contract of employment.

If Barrow start winning, relegation is avoided and the company makes money then everyone is a winner. Carry on losing, get relegated then loses of playing staff,  supporters, a full time coach and revenue is the only scenario - An that's not very good is it?

Edited by gary high, 10 April 2014 - 04:04 PM.

#20 Gaz Lad

Gaz Lad
  • Coach
  • 415 posts

Posted 10 April 2014 - 04:04 PM

Just think of who we might see in the Barrow colours playing at Craven Park like it or not and it may also pull a few more supporters through the turnstiles.   The like of Morley, Chase, Hock, Hansen  etc. we have to survive.   

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users