Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Dual Reg with Salford

• Please log in to reply
63 replies to this topic

#21 STW

STW
  • Coach
  • 1,463 posts

Posted 10 April 2014 - 04:16 PM

Just think of who we might see in the Barrow colours playing at Craven Park like it or not and it may also pull a few more supporters through the turnstiles.   The like of Morley, Chase, Hock, Hansen  etc. we have to survive.   

Jordan Davies also Gaz. Played 1 game for us in last seasons victory over 'Fax.

Edited by STW, 10 April 2014 - 04:21 PM.

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it!

Steve W

#22 bar red

bar red
  • Coach
  • 112 posts

Posted 10 April 2014 - 04:50 PM

I think Jordan Davies has been released and is now playing union, perhaps when we stay up we may be able to afford to sign him.

#23 JC3

JC3
  • Coach
  • 121 posts

Posted 10 April 2014 - 04:54 PM

Not really bothered if we have 5 in the squad every week if we stay up

#24 RSN

RSN
  • Coach
  • 3,849 posts

Posted 10 April 2014 - 05:20 PM

If you can't beat them join them I guess.

It's a shame because we really shouldn't be in this position. We get much higher crowds than a lot of teams in the division, have a set of quality amateurs to pick from and shouldnt be in the position where we are needing to lend Salford players to stay up.

We just didn't recruit well enough in the off season there is no two ways about it. Was this the fault of the BOD or the coach I'm really not sure. Goulding has realised this and at least action has been taken.

I base of Harrison, Campbell, Dawson, Toal, Mossop, Butler, Wiper and Lowe is a good enough base for a squad which we have at our disposal. They should then be improved on with quality out of town players. The out of town players we signed just dont have any experience. How many first team Championship level or above do Turner, Grant, Speakman, Morrison, Burke, and Lloyd all have between them? Is it more than 20? I'm not saying they're bad player but you cannot sign a quarter of your squad with so little experience, it's absolutely barking. Mort was the level of player we should of been signing. His experience shows up on the pitch massively.

So we go into pre season and the only players who have proven quality at the Championship IMO were Harrison, Haggerty, Mossop, Campbell and Mort. I feel Dawson, Jones, Lowe and Wiper are still improving and adapting to the league. So what do we go and do? Give Haggerty to Leigh for Joe Bullock, Craig Briscoe and whoever needs a run out. Why? They have no experience whatsoever. The problem our squad had was the lack of experience so we decided with 3 weeks before the season to give one of our proven players in return for MORE inexperience? That was crazy.

Our team has some quality in it don't get me wrong. But our problem is just no consistency due to experience. Apart from Leigh we have been competitive in most games at some periods. BG blames it on fitness but that's just a smokescreen. In pre season we were miles fitter than Keighley if I recall, we just don't have the experience to see games out. How many times this season have we had brilliant patches but then just drop off? It's happened in nearly every game.

I really didn't want to go down DR and I still don't. But if it's the only option I guess we have no choice. Even if we go down if we stay competitive in games (especially at home) hopefully the crowds will stay at what they are.

The thing I fear is we are relegated with 3 or 4 home games left and people just have no reason to attend. So we go into the next season on a real low streak and start getting crowds at 500/600.

Let's just hope for the best I suppose. The lads we need all the support they can get in the next two games.

#25 Sempur

Sempur
  • Coach
  • 556 posts

Posted 10 April 2014 - 05:32 PM

So in a nutshell, we don't want to do it, but needs must and we now have to do it or we play Hemel Hempstead next season!

Seems a no brainer to me?

Whoso sheds his blood with me on this field shall be my brother - Henry V

#26 JC3

JC3
  • Coach
  • 121 posts

Posted 10 April 2014 - 05:49 PM

They've already got 3 of their best young lads on loan at Sheffield!

#27 town blue

town blue
  • Players
  • 60 posts

Posted 10 April 2014 - 07:25 PM

Name one Championship team who has set the league alight through using DR players - answer none.

#28 Flying whinger

Flying whinger
  • Coach
  • 114 posts

Posted 10 April 2014 - 07:40 PM

Name one Championship team who has set the league alight through using DR players - answer none.

Looks like there is a gap in the market then!!

#29 STW

STW
  • Coach
  • 1,463 posts

Posted 10 April 2014 - 08:45 PM

Doncaster

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it!

Steve W

#30 Flaming balls

Flaming balls
  • Coach
  • 508 posts

Posted 10 April 2014 - 09:02 PM

May not of sett the league alight but it's certainly made a difference in certain games.....

#31 Deano44

Deano44
  • Coach
  • 182 posts

Posted 10 April 2014 - 09:12 PM

Just think of who we might see in the Barrow colours playing at Craven Park like it or not and it may also pull a few more supporters through the turnstiles.   The like of Morley, Chase, Hock, Hansen  etc. we have to survive.   

i doubt you would see any of the above quartet even returning after injury (maybe morley as he played a game for swinton - but he is past his best)

#32 raiders96

raiders96
  • Coach
  • 376 posts

Posted 10 April 2014 - 09:19 PM

May not of sett the league alight but it's certainly made a difference in certain games.....

For example Sam Hopkins scoring the winning try for worky vs us and half of Swinton team vs us

#33 Raider94

Raider94
  • Coach
  • 292 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 08:57 AM

But the game against swinton, was it not a warrington player that scored most of our points?

Tom Heighton

#34 raiders96

raiders96
  • Coach
  • 376 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 09:34 AM

But the game against swinton, was it not a warrington player that scored most of our points?

One player to there five players, Ryan Shaw scored 10 points that game whilst Wire players for Swinton scored 24

#35 mark richardson

mark richardson
  • Coach
  • 2,910 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 10:41 AM

HA HA HA HA HA

#36 marshy1

marshy1
  • Coach
  • 1,599 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 11:09 AM

Amazing how some on here's attitude has changed!!

#37 suzzy

suzzy
  • Coach
  • 1,484 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 11:48 AM

I don't know what to think of this yet, guess we will have to see how we use it. Hopefully not go down the same route as the likes of Swinton, Workington etc.

UNDOUBTABLY you will so you are like everyone else a feeder club
chappy

#38 mark richardson

mark richardson
  • Coach
  • 2,910 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 12:01 PM

I don't know what to think of this yet, guess we will have to see how we use it. Hopefully not go down the same route as the likes of Swinton, Workington etc.

That's what you're doing now pal!
And stop using your phone in class....naughty boy

#39 class of 63

class of 63
  • Coach
  • 234 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 01:12 PM

Can you please explain the difference between the route Swinton are on and the route Barrow are on - I think we are both on route DR

#40 Plan of Attack

Plan of Attack
  • Coach
  • 767 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 01:36 PM

Independence R.I.P  :shout:  :( 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users