Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Barrow Dual Registration

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#21 Keith T

Keith T
  • Coach
  • 8,676 posts

Posted 12 April 2014 - 08:01 PM

Yes, but those that get left out under this system are ones that have committed themselves to the club, possibly when they've had offers elsewhere. Tommy Haughey's article in the YEP a while ago made it clear that it has a big effect on squad morale, with team spirit/bonding being knocked for 6 when outsiders were brought in, usually at short notice, to replace players who had performed well in the previous game.

And the coach of which team are you referring to?

Does that not also occur when clubs take players on loan for a month at a time? Some teams have 3 and 4 loan players taking the place of the clubs own players so that argument isn't solely down to DR. The latest DR team Barrow have been playing with 3 or 4 loanees from Leigh and 1 from Warrington. I suppose it just depends on what your views on DR are for the answer you give.

I remember when .............................

"It is impossible not to feel a twinge of sympathy for Workington Town, the fall guys this season for the Super League's determination to retain it's European dimension, in the shape of Paris. While the French have had every assistance to survive, the importance of having a flagship in a heartland area like West Cumbria has been conveniently forgotten." - Dave Hadfield - Independent 25th August 1996.

#22 jt

jt
  • Coach
  • 1,615 posts

Posted 12 April 2014 - 09:29 PM

It will be interesting to see if it exists next season with the 3 division split

#23 firebasher

firebasher
  • Coach
  • 125 posts

Posted 13 April 2014 - 08:02 AM

DR is like borrowing a Derby hoss to race in a selling plater at Ponty races

#24 oldrover

oldrover
  • Coach
  • 5,950 posts

Posted 13 April 2014 - 08:33 AM

what's the position regarding playoffs. i think DR players (if we have to have them) should have to play a minimum number of league games to qualify for playoff games. at least 10 in my opinion.

joe mullaney is a god
the only good tiger is a stuffed tiger

Posted Image

#25 old big red

old big red
  • Facebook
  • 51 posts

Posted 13 April 2014 - 10:06 AM

I would like to know how many dual Reg are playing in all the championship clubs
to day

Edited by old big red, 13 April 2014 - 10:14 AM.

#26 Steve Slater

Steve Slater
  • Coach
  • 1,769 posts

Posted 13 April 2014 - 11:22 AM

It will be interesting to see if it exists next season with the 3 division split

I was thinking that too, if a cub uses DR to get into the middle group of 8, and the SL club they are getting their DR clubs from also ends in that middle group, what will happen with the Dual Reg players? Would the Super League club recall them all, or just prohibit them from playing against themselves in order to gain an advantage over their rivals?

#27 oldrover

oldrover
  • Coach
  • 5,950 posts

Posted 13 April 2014 - 06:14 PM

I was thinking that too, if a cub uses DR to get into the middle group of 8, and the SL club they are getting their DR clubs from also ends in that middle group, what will happen with the Dual Reg players? Would the Super League club recall them all, or just prohibit them from playing against themselves in order to gain an advantage over their rivals?

would it be ethical for them to play against the club that has them under contract

joe mullaney is a god
the only good tiger is a stuffed tiger

Posted Image

#28 saddleworth

saddleworth
  • Coach
  • 180 posts

Posted 13 April 2014 - 06:43 PM

Another fine mess, Stanley

#29 RSN

RSN
  • Coach
  • 3,846 posts

Posted 14 April 2014 - 01:08 PM

I think we've been forced down this route rather than chose it. Obviously we didn't want too but I think the way results have gone this season we need to do everything we can to stay up.

For example the Workington game we lost 6 - 8. They scored 1 try which was directly from a Lewis Tierney break finished off by Andy Hopkins - both Wigan players. We got beat by Swinton and I think it was Brad Dwyer, Kevin Penny, Rhys Evans, Paul Wood and Ben Currie with a hatrick all crossing over for tries - all Warrington players. That's 5 points lost against those sides.

Featherstone and Leigh ect will barely be affected by DR by the clubs with worse sides. You can't have the spine of a weak team and fill it with DR players and beat the best sides, it just doesn't happen as last season proves.

There is six teams scrapping for one place in Whitehaven, Workington, Barrow, Rochdale, Swinton and Keighley. The other 8 will no doubt finish in the top 9 IMO they have all recruited better than the 6 I named. We won't compete with the top sides consistently with DR Players, we may win the odd game but we will lose much more than we win.

#30 RSN

RSN
  • Coach
  • 3,846 posts

Posted 14 April 2014 - 01:24 PM

Does that not also occur when clubs take players on loan for a month at a time? Some teams have 3 and 4 loan players taking the place of the clubs own players so that argument isn't solely down to DR. The latest DR team Barrow have been playing with 3 or 4 loanees from Leigh and 1 from Warrington. I suppose it just depends on what your views on DR are for the answer you give.

It's a weird one with the Leigh loanees. We gave our second best player in Kurt Haggerty to Leigh in trade for Joe Bullock, Craig Briscoe and Chris Rowe all young fringe players. The latter two both got injured and got sent back to Leigh as they weren't exactly an asset when fit. So we are left with Joe Bullock who is okay but no where near in the same class as Kurt Haggerty. They've given us Mick Govin for a month but he will probably be gone soon as he is just being used for fitness. So in reality we've only got one player from them in trade for our second best one (the Leigh BOD are still probably laughing on how we agreed to that)

Ryan Shaw (Warrington Lad) is Barrow born and bred and he is not quite ready for the Warrington first team. He even played for us in the challenge cup which makes him cup tied which would be a shame if Wire got to the final and Warrington had many injuries and they needed him for Wembley. I think he will train just as much as the Barrow lads as he's local and will probably be accepted as a full squad member due to living in Barrow.

I don't know what the DR will do to squad spirit. BG is not afraid to make harsh decisions. We will see in the long run if ti pays off though.

#31 Keith T

Keith T
  • Coach
  • 8,676 posts

Posted 14 April 2014 - 01:34 PM

RSN, in your previous post you mention losing 5 points to Town and Swinton because their points were scored by Wigan and Warrington players. My point to you and others is what about any points scored for your team by loanees, is that not the same? Just as DR players are not the Championship clubs own players so are the loan players for those teams that don't go down the DR route. We played Sheffield yesterday and we had four Wigan players on DR whilst Eagles, I believe, have four players on loan from various clubs that could have been playing if they weren't. I see no difference in that argument.

I remember when .............................

"It is impossible not to feel a twinge of sympathy for Workington Town, the fall guys this season for the Super League's determination to retain it's European dimension, in the shape of Paris. While the French have had every assistance to survive, the importance of having a flagship in a heartland area like West Cumbria has been conveniently forgotten." - Dave Hadfield - Independent 25th August 1996.

#32 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,440 posts

Posted 14 April 2014 - 04:37 PM

Well, that's the risk you take, isn't it ?

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

#33 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,440 posts

Posted 14 April 2014 - 04:39 PM

RSN, in your previous post you mention losing 5 points to Town and Swinton because their points were scored by Wigan and Warrington players. My point to you and others is what about any points scored for your team by loanees, is that not the same? Just as DR players are not the Championship clubs own players so are the loan players for those teams that don't go down the DR route. We played Sheffield yesterday and we had four Wigan players on DR whilst Eagles, I believe, have four players on loan from various clubs that could have been playing if they weren't. I see no difference in that argument.

Neither do I, Keith.  I thought young Gelling had a particularly good game, btw.

#34 DemonUK

DemonUK
  • Coach
  • 291 posts

Posted 15 April 2014 - 12:08 PM

In reply to the post regarding DRs next season. I read it will still be around but the numbers allowed will be reduced to 3 

Sorry folks, no forecast comp this year

#35 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,440 posts

Posted 15 April 2014 - 12:10 PM

Oh - there's time for that to change yet, DemonUK. ;)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users