Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

11/04/14 - Castleford Tigers v St Helens KO 8pm (Sky Sports)

• Please log in to reply
130 replies to this topic

Poll: Who will win? (13 member(s) have cast votes)

Who will win?

1. Castleford Tigers (3 votes [23.08%])

Percentage of vote: 23.08%

2. Draw (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

3. St Helens (10 votes [76.92%])

Percentage of vote: 76.92%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#121 yipyee

yipyee
  • Coach
  • 1,060 posts

Posted 12 April 2014 - 04:25 PM

I thought that the quota was scrapped and now you can only have so many non federation trained players or something along those lines? I'm pretty sure that all 3 count towards that but I'm not up to speed on it.

Would anyone be kind enough to help us out on this please? :)E

Sia was captain of Samoa at the World Cup, and a very fine job he did for them!

quite right! Ha wrong SS island!

#122 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 4,179 posts

Posted 12 April 2014 - 05:41 PM

I thought that the quota was scrapped and now you can only have so many non federation trained players or something along those lines? I'm pretty sure that all 3 count towards that but I'm not up to speed on it.

Would anyone be kind enough to help us out on this please? :)

Sia was captain of Samoa at the World Cup, and a very fine job he did for them!

Yeah, it's just fed trained and non fed trained now.  I think this season clubs are allowed 7 non fed trained players, up from 5 in recent seasons.  We have Soliola, Manu, Mosoe, Hohaia, Laffranchi and Walsh ( :giveheart: )

Edited by Saintslass, 12 April 2014 - 05:41 PM.

#123 yipyee

yipyee
  • Coach
  • 1,060 posts

Posted 12 April 2014 - 06:53 PM

Yeah, it's just fed trained and non fed trained now. I think this season clubs are allowed 7 non fed trained players, up from 5 in recent seasons. We have Soliola, Manu, Mosoe, Hohaia, Laffranchi and Walsh ( :giveheart: )

in that case saints had 7 last year?!?

Edited by yipyee, 12 April 2014 - 07:02 PM.

#124 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 4,179 posts

Posted 12 April 2014 - 08:12 PM

in that case saints had 7 last year?!?

Meli was exempt I know that as he signed with Saints prior to the previous change in rules.  I think Manu may have been exempt too but I'm not sure on that one.

#125 The Scott

The Scott
  • Banned
  • 36 posts

Posted 12 April 2014 - 09:24 PM

Really?  And what was so funny?  That we had a poor attitude in the first half?  Then you would be laughing at Nathan Brown too, who said the same thing.  He even said we lacked respect for Cas.  Or maybe it was my comment about Sneyd doing just fine in SL with opportunity and good coaching?  Was that funny to you?  Or perhaps it was my accurate observation that Walmsley had a poor night with ball (not) in hand and Masoe knocks on in every game?  You live a sad life if you think that was funny.

This would be the same Mose Masoe who didn't make an error in the game ? The same Walmsley with another 100m in the game with the ball ?

Did you enjoy the game you watched ? Castleford v St Helens was a cracker.

#126 yipyee

yipyee
  • Coach
  • 1,060 posts

Posted 12 April 2014 - 09:40 PM

This would be the same Mose Masoe who didn't make an error in the game ? The same Walmsley with another 100m in the game with the ball ?

there was a lot of dropped ball but I cannot remember the culprits....apart from wilkin

#127 MrFussy

MrFussy
  • Coach
  • 1,418 posts

Posted 12 April 2014 - 09:44 PM

Nobody is denying what an outstanding player Walmsley is and I'm sure we're all delighted to have him.

He does need to work on rectifying the issue he has with playing the ball though.

#128 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 4,179 posts

Posted 12 April 2014 - 10:18 PM

Masoe knocked on once and I lost count of Walmsley's errors.

I enjoyed the second half.  The first half was atrocious by Saints but wonderful by Cas. 

Speak to Nathan Brown.  He thought we brought a poor attitude to the game in the first half and didn't show Cas the respect they deserved (his words).  I've yet to read/hear any Saints fan - bar your good self of course - think any different to me so far as the first half was concerned.

We were lucky to win at all in fact bearing in mind Wello's try shouldn't have gotten past Turner's knock on in the build up.

#129 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 4,179 posts

Posted 12 April 2014 - 10:20 PM

there was a lot of dropped ball but I cannot remember the culprits....apart from wilkin

Wilkin started it all off in grand style! 

#130 Human Punk

Human Punk
  • Coach
  • 296 posts

Posted 14 April 2014 - 07:52 AM

What a great game that was. Reminded me of that Saints v Dragons match where Saints were miles ahead. In exactly the same way, some outrageous off the cuff play, a huge amount of luck and a bad refereeing decision turned the game on its head in the last minute.

Can't really blame the ref for missing the Turner knock on, as it looked like he was trying to offload the ball backwards, and from where the ref was, that's exactly what seemed to happen.

I do think that Saints, for reasons I can't imagine, underestimated Cas (if Wilkin's attitude at the start was in any way representative) and Brown's 'tinkerman' tendency was equally to blame for their woeful 1st half display. Cas certainly made the most of it, and didn't really deserve to lose. At the end of the day it was probably that tackle on Huby that made him lose the ball when diving under the sticks that gave Saints the chance to steal it at the end.

Small consolation to Cas fans, but the sport was the real winner there.

#131 Gates1

Gates1
  • Coach
  • 146 posts

Posted 14 April 2014 - 11:57 AM

Im sure it was a great spectacle for a neutral but horrifying as a Cas fan at the game!  Went into the game expecting to lose however I find it more frustrating that we threw the game away by plaing silly rugby and trying to score off every play instead of completing sets - our game management has been much better this year but was dire in the second half - whether this was the pressure or tiredness god knows but was crying out for someone to calm the Cas plays down and make it harder for saints who were always going to come on strong.

That said, were it not a TV game Cas would more than likely still have won despite the second half (I am sure 1 probably 2 of the 3 disallowed tries would have been given) and arguably should anyway (We got the disadvantages of having a video ref through the disallowed tries, but not the advantages as Thaler chose not to use it for the try with the Turner knock on). As a tool to ensure fairness it failed once again on Friday! That said I think overall Thaler was pretty good and let the game flow contributing to the spectacle it was. 

Ultimately though Cas created therir own demise, im sure DP will make this clear to them and Wakey will feel the brunt on Friday - but that is never going to be an easy game for us.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users