Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

11/04/14 - Bradford Bulls v Salford Red Devils KO 8pm

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

Poll: Who will win? (4 member(s) have cast votes)

Who will win?

1. Bradford Bulls (3 votes [75.00%])

Percentage of vote: 75.00%

2. Draw (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

3. Salford Red Devils (1 votes [25.00%])

Percentage of vote: 25.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#21 Pottsy

Pottsy
  • Coach
  • 3,533 posts

Posted 12 April 2014 - 02:31 PM

The Bulls fans seem to have created their own parable: "The boy who cried FOOOOORWAAARD!"

Absolutely risible whenever you visit Odsal. Give it a rest!

As for the game, Bradford not great, Salford not significantly better and still a long way off the top teams.

#22 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 20,004 posts

Posted 12 April 2014 - 03:38 PM

Thing is, there was a pathetic policing of forward passes last night. It's no wonder people get wound up.

No I don't care if you're if you're into different bands

No cause for so much hatred, I'm just a different man

Pull off that cover, I will too, and learn to understand

With music deep inside we'll make world unity our plan

7 Seconds -Walk Together, Rock Together

#23 Pottsy

Pottsy
  • Coach
  • 3,533 posts

Posted 12 April 2014 - 07:40 PM

Bradford fans have been doing it for years. It's bizarre!

#24 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 20,004 posts

Posted 12 April 2014 - 08:33 PM

Bradford fans have been doing it for years. It's bizarre!

What is bizzare about complaining about forward passes? They are against the rules and the linesmen aren't going to mention it. There are too many in the game.

#25 R J Wagsmith

R J Wagsmith
  • Coach
  • 179 posts

Posted 13 April 2014 - 12:20 AM

They are called touch judges, not linesmen. What is bizarre (or perhaps ridiculous) is that a large number of Bradford fans seem to shout "forward" almost every time the opposition pass the ball. Almost always the ball is clearly not forward. I have yet to hear them suggest that their own team might pass the ball forward from time to time.

#26 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 20,004 posts

Posted 13 April 2014 - 08:09 AM

While you are correct about fans mainly only seeing forward passes from the opposition, it's hardly unique to Bradford like some try to claim.

And it doesn't change the fact that there were lots of forward passes in the game.

#27 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,147 posts

Posted 13 April 2014 - 08:24 AM

While you are correct about fans mainly only seeing forward passes from the opposition, it's hardly unique to Bradford like some try to claim.

And it doesn't change the fact that there were lots of forward passes in the game.

Nonsense, every other team's fans get really quite ticked off when the referee fails to adjudge against them following an act of obvious nefariousness.

In fact, I think it's well known that several teams' own supporters discount many of their team's official titles because they were awarded following matches at which their players had disgraced themselves by gaining illegal advantage.

Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#28 Pottsy

Pottsy
  • Coach
  • 3,533 posts

Posted 13 April 2014 - 08:48 AM

They are called touch judges, not linesmen. What is bizarre (or perhaps ridiculous) is that a large number of Bradford fans seem to shout "forward" almost every time the opposition pass the ball. Almost always the ball is clearly not forward. I have yet to hear them suggest that their own team might pass the ball forward from time to time.

^^ This ^^

#29 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 20,004 posts

Posted 13 April 2014 - 09:02 AM

Yes, god forbid that people actually attending games should feel strongly enough about something to voice an opinion (however inaccurate).
The linesmen are a waste of time.

#30 terrywebbisgod

terrywebbisgod
  • Coach
  • 8,294 posts

Posted 13 April 2014 - 09:31 AM

Yes, god forbid that people actually attending games should feel strongly enough about something to voice an opinion (however inaccurate).
The linesmen are a waste of time.

TOUCH JUDGES :ph34r:

Once you have tasted excellence,you cannot go back to mediocrity.

#31 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 20,004 posts

Posted 13 April 2014 - 09:44 AM

Pater-ta....Patar-to

#32 redjonn

redjonn
  • Coach
  • 884 posts

Posted 13 April 2014 - 10:41 AM

Yes sometimes a forward pass is not given by ref/touch touch but when I attend some game it is highly amusing to listen to some fans consistent shouting of forward pass by the opposition.  Sometimes it just goes on and on and I must admit whilst finding it amusing it is a pain in the butt to have to listen too. Fine when it isn't just knee jerk at every pass but otherwise it is daft. I like it when the opposition fans pick up on it and start shouting at every pass by the other team too, as it highlights the ridiculous nature of it and normally soon shuts the shouting up.

Of course the other option is to constantly shout off-side. I assume its done to try and influence ref but I've not known refs be so easily influenced.    The quiet word from the captain is more influential.

But as I say it does add a degree of amusement, especial when both sets of fans are shouting forward for prolonged spells... with the one set highlighting the daftness of it.... 

Edited by redjonn, 13 April 2014 - 10:42 AM.

#33 Bulliac

Bulliac
  • Coach
  • 2,687 posts

Posted 13 April 2014 - 11:36 AM

All teams make forward passes; all crowds shout "forward", [even when it's not]; all referees miss them, don't bother or have been told not to pull them up.

Thought Salford deserved the win on the night. They were quicker out of the blocks and looked far more lively than the Bulls for the entire game.

I'm not too despondent, to be fair - we had a number of players making returns after longish-term injury who weren't really match fit. We need get them up to speed and hope we don't gert too many more injuries in future, then we may be OK.

No team is an island.........................................

http://www.flickr.co...s/31337109@N03/

#34 Red John

Red John
  • Coach
  • 214 posts

Posted 13 April 2014 - 12:55 PM

The Bulls fans seem to have created their own parable: "The boy who cried FOOOOORWAAARD!"

Absolutely risible whenever you visit Odsal. Give it a rest!

As for the game, Bradford not great, Salford not significantly better and still a long way off the top teams.

Oddly enough, I thought we were significantly better. I spent the game experiencing a strange and unfamiliar feeling: that we weren't in any danger of losing. Our attack seemed, for the most part, to be far more fluent than Bradford's, while they often attacked in ones and played like thirteen individuals in search of a team. It's a style of play I thought Salford might have patented over the past few years, and it's good to see we've managed to pass that particular baton on to someone else.

The forward pass stuff was silly but harmless, although I'm relieved the Bradford fans didn't extend that silliness to shouting for a double move on the Adam Sidlow try, or for obstruction on the Elliot Kear one. They managed to summon up some iron discipline for those.

#35 Konkrete

Konkrete
  • Coach
  • 2,005 posts

Posted 13 April 2014 - 04:41 PM

On the forward pass 'silliness', I'm definitely seeing more of it, no question - forward passes that is, not silliness. The thing is most teams/players might throw the odd forward pass in the course of the game and they may or may not have it picked up. Other teams and players do it as a matter of intent, and Rangi Chase is one of those players.

The other thing about forward passes is that if the crowd shout in uncoordinated unison a couple of times and the ref ignores the forward pass, then the players just do it even more. So the crowd shout more. And on it goes. It's easy to see the line of the ball at Odsal from the steep bank, but not so easy for the touch judge and ref as often these passes are probably less than a metre long and in traffic. Also hard to see for the away fans stood at the Rooley lane end as they're end on rather than side on.
Integrity is shown when no-one is looking.

#36 Bulliac

Bulliac
  • Coach
  • 2,687 posts

Posted 16 April 2014 - 09:15 AM

There are more 'forward' passes today then there were in days gone by, simply because of the way the modern game is played.

Players are coached to play the 'flat' pass nowadays, whereas in days gone by there was no real emphasis on this aspect of the game. It doesn't take the 'brain of Britain' to work out that, if you're deliberately trying to play flat then you are much more likely to stray the wrong side of the line than if you're putting in a 'backwards' pass.

From the elevated stands, on the sideline, it's pretty obvious, though I guess it may not be quite so easy for the officials to spot - that said, I have to pinch myself sometimes at some of the really obvious stuff which the touchies miss.

I should say, even though there is no need, that we get away with as many 'forwards' as anybody else..

#37 Red John

Red John
  • Coach
  • 214 posts

Posted 16 April 2014 - 09:44 AM

There are more 'forward' passes today then there were in days gone by, simply because of the way the modern game is played.

Players are coached to play the 'flat' pass nowadays, whereas in days gone by there was no real emphasis on this aspect of the game. It doesn't take the 'brain of Britain' to work out that, if you're deliberately trying to play flat then you are much more likely to stray the wrong side of the line than if you're putting in a 'backwards' pass.

From the elevated stands, on the sideline, it's pretty obvious, though I guess it may not be quite so easy for the officials to spot - that said, I have to pinch myself sometimes at some of the really obvious stuff which the touchies miss.

I should say, even though there is no need, that we get away with as many 'forwards' as anybody else..

I think the speed of the game nowadays makes it appear there are more forward passes, but you have to bear in mind the rule about forward passes:

The direction of a pass is relative to the player making it and not to the actual path relative to the ground. A player running towards his opponents’ goal line may throw the ball towards a colleague who is behind him but because of the thrower’s own momentum the ball travels forward relative to the ground. This is not a forward pass as the thrower has not passed the ball forward in relation to himself. This is particularly noticeable when a running player makes a high, lobbed pass.

The first sentence is the relevant one here. I believe that when checking for a forward pass, referees are advised to look at the direction of the player's hands when he releases the ball. The direction relative to the ground - what you see from the terraces, unless you're blessed with six million dollar man telescopic vision - isn't the determining factor, which is why this shouting from the terraces is just daft.

#38 Bulliac

Bulliac
  • Coach
  • 2,687 posts

Posted 20 April 2014 - 09:37 AM

I think the speed of the game nowadays makes it appear there are more forward passes, but you have to bear in mind the rule about forward passes:

The direction of a pass is relative to the player making it and not to the actual path relative to the ground. A player running towards his opponents’ goal line may throw the ball towards a colleague who is behind him but because of the thrower’s own momentum the ball travels forward relative to the ground. This is not a forward pass as the thrower has not passed the ball forward in relation to himself. This is particularly noticeable when a running player makes a high, lobbed pass.

The first sentence is the relevant one here. I believe that when checking for a forward pass, referees are advised to look at the direction of the player's hands when he releases the ball. The direction relative to the ground - what you see from the terraces, unless you're blessed with six million dollar man telescopic vision - isn't the determining factor, which is why this shouting from the terraces is just daft.

Thanks for the lesson in egg sucking - I'll try to not be so patronising in my response....

The gist of my point was, that in the modern game where players are attempting to throw far more line balls than in the past when they were generally coached to pass backwards, it is a totally inevitable fact that more are going to be mistimed and go forward. It's like trying to drive at exacly 70 mph, you do occasionally drift over...whereas if you kept at ['say 60] you most likely wouldn't. At the end of the day 'backwards' is a much bigger target than straight across.

I'll go back to my books on newton's laws of motion now.....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users