RFL want Great Britain tour in 2015

• Please log in to reply
74 replies to this topic

#1 Joe Whitley

Joe Whitley
  • Admin
  • 307 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 12:36 PM

An exclusive courtesy of Rugby League World magazine: http://www.totalrl.c...-tour-go-ahead/

Nigel Wood: “We can’t invite ourselves to somebody else’s party - they have to decide that they’re having a party. We are hopeful that an invitation will be extended to tour as Great Britain in 2015.”

TotalRL.com Editor
Email: joe.whitley@totalrl.com
Direct line: +44 (0) 1484 404 921

#2 Padge

Padge
  • Coach
  • 18,117 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 12:40 PM

Stupid idea.

Wood's continual wanting to turn the clock back will have us playing with 15 players and having rucks and mauls next.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com
Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007
Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

#3 GeordieSaint

GeordieSaint
  • Coach
  • 4,826 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 12:44 PM

Stupid idea.

Wood's continual wanting to turn the clock back will have us playing with 15 players and having rucks and mauls next.

What worries me about the article is this quote:

"It’s fine playing as England, Scotland, Ireland and Wales separately – that’s the right thing to do to respect those individual nations and we certainly need to do that for World Cups."

Whilst he does mention about playing as GB once a cycle, that quote seems to point towards the old 'individual nations' concept of being rolled out in World Cup years only... hence your comment about turning the clock back is very apt!

I wonder if the WRL, SRL and IRL have been included in the decision making process of this GB idea considering the RFL washed their hands of funding them?

Kings Lynn Black Knights Rugby League Club - http://www.pitchero....nnblackknights/

#4 Joe Whitley

Joe Whitley
  • Admin
  • 307 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 12:46 PM

Stupid idea.

I disagree. I think it can only be a good thing to bring back the GB tour. As long as nothing else suffers as a result of course.

TotalRL.com Editor

#5 brooza

brooza
  • 4,366 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 12:47 PM

What worries me about the article is this quote:

"It’s fine playing as England, Scotland, Ireland and Wales separately – that’s the right thing to do to respect those individual nations and we certainly need to do that for World Cups."

Whilst he does mention about playing as GB once a cycle, that quote seems to point towards the old 'individual nations' concept of being rolled out in World Cup years only... hence your comment about turning the clock back is very apt!

Hmmm, that does seem ominous.

I'm generally against the GB concept as I want the individual nations to develop. I can live with it being once a cycle though

St Albans Centurions 1st Team Manager. Former Medway Dragons Wheelchair RL player.

Leeds Rhinos, St Albans Centurions y Griffons Madrid fan. Also follow (to a lesser extent) Catalans Dragons, London Broncos, South Sydney Rabbitohs, Jacksonville Axemen, Vrchlabi Mad Squirrels, København Black Swans, Red Star Belgrade and North Hertfordshire Crusaders.

Moderator of the International board

#6 Mushy

Mushy
  • Coach
  • 298 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 12:55 PM

I'm pretty sure you can have both GB for some tournaments and Eng etc for others. I think having no GB is wrong and might have actually weakened some of the other UK nations. But just playing as GB at least every 4 years (and maybe a little more often) is a great chance to celebrate our heritage, do something different, and unite against a common enemy!

Slightly more controversially though, I'd consider a mid-season GB tour to Oz. I think it would be amazing but would need serious planning mostly in the UK to make it work perhaps with split rounds or a break perhaps.

#7 GeordieSaint

GeordieSaint
  • Coach
  • 4,826 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 12:56 PM

I'm generally against the GB concept as I want the individual nations to develop. I can live with it being once a cycle though

That is exactly my viewpoint. I can live with it once a cycle but it fundamentally must not undermine the individual nation's competing regular as separate entities. This isn't 1990 anymore with Scotland potentially becoming independent in 2016 and Wales pushing for greater autonomy. It is backward thinking as ever from the RFL when the reality of modern day thinking is going in the opposite direction.

Kings Lynn Black Knights Rugby League Club - http://www.pitchero....nnblackknights/

#8 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,167 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 12:58 PM

No problem at all with a GB tour.  I think it's a nice concept and every few years is about right.

I have a big problem with it being April 2014 and there being nothing in place for next year and the RFL seemingly having to resort to pleading with the NRL to find some space in their diary to fit us in.

Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#9 GeordieSaint

GeordieSaint
  • Coach
  • 4,826 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 01:14 PM

I have a big problem with it being April 2014 and there being nothing in place for next year and the RFL seemingly having to resort to pleading with the NRL to find some space in their diary to fit us in.

Half the problem... they've only just released dates for this year's Four Nations so there isn't a cat-in-hells-chance anything for 2015 would be organised by now. We DESPERATELY need a real World Governing Body to grab hold of the game and start planning for the long term including International fixtures, eligiblity, rules etc etc. However, self interest at national club level rules...

#10 londonrlfan

londonrlfan
  • Coach
  • 842 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 01:17 PM

If they're that desperate to have GB, then fine whatever but only quadrennial. What I can't stand is tours, GB should be competing in Four Nations type competitions as well. 

#11 Scubby

Scubby
  • Coach
  • 3,833 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 01:31 PM

We should be at home in 2015 full stop. To hide away from the other code's WC is ridiculous! The RUWC will be finished by October 31 - we have the whole of November without ANY international rugby.

Three Ashes tests versus Australia (Wembley Old Trafford plus 1) on November 7, 14 and 21 is an absolute no-brainer!

#12 londonrlfan

londonrlfan
  • Coach
  • 842 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 01:43 PM

We should be at home in 2015 full stop. To hide away from the other code's WC is ridiculous! The RUWC will be finished by October 31 - we have the whole of November without ANY international rugby.

Three Ashes tests versus Australia (Wembley Old Trafford plus 1) on November 7, 14 and 21 is an absolute no-brainer!

The whole '3 years without a home test' is interesting. Will we see the likes of OT and Wembley used in the 2016 Four Nations or will it be back to Huddersfield, Hull and Wigan (no offense to those grounds)? If it's the latter, then it shows how they've killed the supposed legacy from the WC. 

#13 BBR

BBR
  • Coach
  • 609 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 02:44 PM

The legacy has already been killed. Had to announce a year of fixtures and ride on the coat tails of that Wembley game. People will have forgotten about it in a years let alone three

#14 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 20,078 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 02:50 PM

I disagree. I think it can only be a good thing to bring back the GB tour. As long as nothing else suffers as a result of course.

But IMO other things will suffer.
For Cliffs sake, stop trying to turn back the clock and *pretending*and just try to go forward for a change.
I look forward to seeing the non English players getting a game. But I won't be betting any money on it.

No I don't care if you're if you're into different bands

No cause for so much hatred, I'm just a different man

Pull off that cover, I will too, and learn to understand

With music deep inside we'll make world unity our plan

7 Seconds -Walk Together, Rock Together

#15 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 4,503 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 03:14 PM

Of course the one thing to suffer will be the wonderful progress made in international rugby league in this country thanks to the marvellous world cup because we wont have another bloody international on these shores for three more years.

Ridiculous idea by Nigel Wood.  I hope the Aussies turn him down flat.

#16 Joe Whitley

Joe Whitley
  • Admin
  • 307 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 03:17 PM

Some very interesting points here. I've argued the toss with another of our writers, if anyone wants to have a look: http://www.totalrl.c...tain-tour-2015/

TotalRL.com Editor

#17 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 4,503 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 03:20 PM

I can safely say that I totally disagree with you and totally agree with AB!

#18 GeordieSaint

GeordieSaint
  • Coach
  • 4,826 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 03:31 PM

JW, galvanise the sport? I am guessing you didn't see England playing in front of sell out crowds last year and the passion on show at Wembley from both traditional and non-traditional fans? The passion for GB is a nostalgic trip into the past when people believe times were grand and captured everyone's imagination (it wasn't and didn't!). Last year proved we've moved on and AB is right stating the Aussies couldn't care less. It's about time we moved forwards, not backwards.

#19 a j cougar

a j cougar
  • Coach
  • 1,650 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 03:35 PM

That is exactly my viewpoint. I can live with it once a cycle but it fundamentally must not undermine the individual nation's competing regular as separate entities. This isn't 1990 anymore with Scotland potentially becoming independent in 2016 and Wales pushing for greater autonomy. It is backward thinking as ever from the RFL when the reality of modern day thinking is going in the opposite direction.

Its a Great Britain team, not the United Kingdom.

Irelands not part of the UK but they join forces for the British Lions tours

#20 GeordieSaint

GeordieSaint
  • Coach
  • 4,826 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 03:51 PM

Lets not be pedantic about GB or UK definitions as you may wish to look up what countries actually constitute GB... My point in the previous post that last year's WC already galvanised the international game and showed the way forward to develop it; being nostalgic about the past is not it!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users