RFL want Great Britain tour in 2015

• Please log in to reply
74 replies to this topic

#61 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 20,366 posts

Posted 14 April 2014 - 09:41 AM

I simply pointed out that "their" tours were not outdated as claimed....even a loon like me can see that the comparison between the codes in this case is pointless.

Yeah it wasn't a pop at you but some people just think the fact that it is successful in RU is reason in itself. They are successful in RU for quite a few reasons, hardly any of which apply to RL.

#62 RugbyLeagueGeek

RugbyLeagueGeek
  • Coach
  • 698 posts

Posted 14 April 2014 - 09:47 AM

Yeah it wasn't a pop at you but some people just think the fact that it is successful in RU is reason in itself. They are successful in RU for quite a few reasons, hardly any of which apply to RL.

But the same argument can be made for tournaments. I think the solution for RL is a combination of both, given the limited number of competitive nations currently playing the sport.

#63 redjonn

redjonn
  • Coach
  • 1,016 posts

Posted 14 April 2014 - 09:58 AM

It's my understanding that the Pacific Island teams have had a limited number of games against each other due to the financial constraints involved.  None of them have much cash to throw about.  Remember the proposed Samoan tour to this country the other year that was scrapped due to funding issues.

Running a Pacific Nations Cup alongside a Lions tour would kill 2 birds with one stone.  It would reduce costs if double (or even triple) header events are scheduled in the same stadium.  Stadiums are more likely to be full if 4 (or 6) sets of fans attend the same event.

The island teams provided some of the best rugby and best memories from last years World Cup.  Are we going to do the usual trick of saying "Thanks for coming, see you again in 4 years time!"

Just with regards to the cancelled Samoan tour, which was disappointing for it to be cancelled.   Where was the funding issue as a matter of interest. If its up to the RFL to invite touring teams isn't the cost and hopeful recovery of those costs up to the RFL in ensuring a success or not as the case may be. Thus I'm assuming lack of interest here with sponsors and media was the reason it was cancelled rather than Samoa funding issues.

#64 redjonn

redjonn
  • Coach
  • 1,016 posts

Posted 14 April 2014 - 10:01 AM

Well yep but sometimes we can learn from other sports whilst still considering those aspects which may not apply to RL.  I don't think anyone thinks just because it was a success in RU is reason enough but it should be a indicator and not just dismissed.

#65 Lesmets

Lesmets
  • Coach
  • 115 posts

Posted 14 April 2014 - 10:22 AM

When will RL in England lose it's Union angst???

If having a tour would be a success then have a tour
If having a World Cup would be a success then have a World Cup
If having a tournament would be a success then have a tournament

RL is a great game in its own right ,weather Union or any other sport does or doesn't do something is no way to decide if it's a good Idea for RL or not.

If RL don't want to do something simply because Union does it you might as well give up and apply to the RFU For Re-unification!!

#66 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 20,366 posts

Posted 14 April 2014 - 11:56 AM

Well yep but sometimes we can learn from other sports whilst still considering those aspects which may not apply to RL. I don't think anyone thinks just because it was a success in RU is reason enough but it should be a indicator and not just dismissed.

Yes there's nothing wrong with learning from others but it's not like we have never had tours is it? They could announce a GB tour tomorrow but it doesn't mean that it will be well attended or sponsored. (Unfortunately)

Edited by Johnoco, 14 April 2014 - 11:58 AM.

#67 GeordieSaint

GeordieSaint
  • Coach
  • 5,048 posts

Posted 14 April 2014 - 11:58 AM

I think the solution for RL is a combination of both, given the limited number of competitive nations currently playing the sport.

I'd agree with that but instead of re-fabricating GB, let Wales, Scotland, Ireland et al "tour" as well as England; that would be a real incentive for players to play for their heritage nations rather than them simply turning out for a World Cup. It would also reward players who have turned out for their 'nations' continuously.

Kings Lynn Black Knights Rugby League Club - http://www.pitchero....nnblackknights/

#68 thirteenthman

thirteenthman
  • Coach
  • 2,685 posts

Posted 14 April 2014 - 12:10 PM

Just with regards to the cancelled Samoan tour, which was disappointing for it to be cancelled.   Where was the funding issue as a matter of interest. If its up to the RFL to invite touring teams isn't the cost and hopeful recovery of those costs up to the RFL in ensuring a success or not as the case may be. Thus I'm assuming lack of interest here with sponsors and media was the reason it was cancelled rather than Samoa funding issues.

http://www.radionz.c...ur-fall-through

The squad were due to be funded by the Samoan government. Sifa is the Samoan governments offshore finance body, and its through them that they fund Samoan sport (Sifa.ws is usually the shirt sponsor). Apparently, the money that was due to be used for the RL tour was diverted to help out the RU side. The above story confirms it was the government funding that led to the tour being cancelled, but, not surprisingly, doesn't mention where the government money went instead. 

Ahead of last years World Cup, it was the Samoan government that threatened to stop all funding for the Samoan RL side if they "embarrass us again". 

http://samoaobserver...s-650000-on-toa

#69 londonrlfan

londonrlfan
  • Coach
  • 1,016 posts

Posted 14 April 2014 - 01:15 PM

The squad were due to be funded by the Samoan government. Sifa is the Samoan governments offshore finance body, and its through them that they fund Samoan sport (Sifa.ws is usually the shirt sponsor). Apparently, the money that was due to be used for the RL tour was diverted to help out the RU side. The above story confirms it was the government funding that led to the tour being cancelled, but, not surprisingly, doesn't mention where the government money went instead. 

Ahead of last years World Cup, it was the Samoan government that threatened to stop all funding for the Samoan RL side if they "embarrass us again". 

No surprise given their PM is also the Chairman of the Samoan Rugby Union.

What do they mean by 'embarrass us again'? Were they really expecting a nation like to Samoa to win the WC or something? 

"He said all rugby league players need to do is pick up the ball, run hard at the opponent and sidestep." Lmao. What a clown this guy is. 

Edited by londonrlfan, 14 April 2014 - 01:19 PM.

#70 redjonn

redjonn
  • Coach
  • 1,016 posts

Posted 14 April 2014 - 02:46 PM

Thanks for the info, interesting.  I also note the comment after this with regards to Samoan PM.

#71 SouthernRLfan

SouthernRLfan
  • Players
  • 27 posts

Posted 14 April 2014 - 02:52 PM

If GB do tour Australasia in 2015, I guess this means no Four Nations, which would have been hosted in the NH? Ordinarily I would be in favour of a GB tour but it seems bizarre to squander the increased publicity of the sport from the WC by having two years of no home international games (not counting the game against the Exiles).

Also, in regards to a note about the Australians and SOO...is it a surprise that they consider it so highly? Looking at how uncompetitive most of their games were in the WC, and then how competitive SOO is, I don't blame them for ranking it so highly.

Btw, my first post so please be nice :-)

#72 thirteenthman

thirteenthman
  • Coach
  • 2,685 posts

Posted 14 April 2014 - 04:12 PM

No surprise given their PM is also the Chairman of the Samoan Rugby Union.

What do they mean by 'embarrass us again'? Were they really expecting a nation like to Samoa to win the WC or something? 

"He said all rugby league players need to do is pick up the ball, run hard at the opponent and sidestep." Lmao. What a clown this guy is. 

I think 'embarrass us again' is probably a reference to Samoas poor showing at the 2008 WC and the 2009 Pacific Cup, which they didn't even qualify for after losing to the Cooks. 

Edited by thirteenthman, 14 April 2014 - 04:12 PM.

#73 yipyee

yipyee
  • Coach
  • 1,355 posts

Posted 14 April 2014 - 06:01 PM

If GB do tour Australasia in 2015, I guess this means no Four Nations, which would have been hosted in the NH? Ordinarily I would be in favour of a GB tour but it seems bizarre to squander the increased publicity of the sport from the WC by having two years of no home international games (not counting the game against the Exiles).

Also, in regards to a note about the Australians and SOO...is it a surprise that they consider it so highly? Looking at how uncompetitive most of their games were in the WC, and then how competitive SOO is, I don't blame them for ranking it so highly.

Btw, my first post so please be nice :-)

tbf Australia have competitive games against England and NZ, in fact Australia had to win back the world cup, outside these three the competition is weaker but if Australia just fielded Australian's then other teams would be stronger and them weaker and thus making the international scene more competitive. ...and that goes for NZ as well!

I agree it would be pathetic not to play at home for the best part of 3 years!

A euro comp is needed!

Edited by yipyee, 14 April 2014 - 06:02 PM.

#74 dhw

dhw
  • Coach
  • 681 posts

Posted 15 April 2014 - 10:29 AM

tbf Australia have competitive games against England and NZ, in fact Australia had to win back the world cup, outside these three the competition is weaker but if Australia just fielded Australian's then other teams would be stronger and them weaker and thus making the international scene more competitive. ...and that goes for NZ as well!

I agree it would be pathetic not to play at home for the best part of 3 years!

A euro comp is needed!

How many of the Kangaroos World Cup Squad are not Australian ?

#75 thirteenthman

thirteenthman
  • Coach
  • 2,685 posts

Posted 15 April 2014 - 10:41 AM

How many of the Kangaroos World Cup Squad are not Australian ?

2, I think. Josh Papalii was born in NZ but his family moved to Aus when he was 6 years old. James Tamou is also a Kiwi and moved to Aus when he was 13. I was reading an interview with Tamou the other day where he said he has no regrets about playing for Aus, and said the World Cup was the highlight of his career.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users