Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Aussies at it again - wanting their cake and eating it!

• Please log in to reply
130 replies to this topic

#1 Scubby

Scubby
  • Coach
  • 3,798 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 01:22 PM

I knew this was going to happen but am getting slowly more and more angry at the Aussie's apparent ignorance towards the World Cup and International RL and their so called 'holy grail' of Origin etc. There have been numerous examples of this recently here are a couple:

During a Cowboys game a couple of weeks where Tariq Sims was outstanding the commentator said something like "If he carries on in this form he will be putting himself forward for international contention" - Tariq Sims has 5 caps for Fiji as recently as 5 months ago and must be down to play on May 2 against Fiji.

On the Footy Show last night they were putting odds on the board for Origin outsiders and they had Anthony Milford (Samoa International) and James Segerayo (PNG International) on display. Does this mean Milford will conveniently pull out of the Fiji/Samoa test and Segerayo will dump PNG?

During a St George game 2 weeks ago, the commentators were saying that Tyson Frizell looks every bit a future Kangaroo - Frizell has been a Wales international for 3 years.

Origin is weeks and weeks away yet people are still starting to bang on about it. I haven't heard a single discussion on the Anzac Test and who will be in or out etc. It cannot be a co-incidence that there hasn't been a glut of tests announces for Tonga, PNG, Cook Islands, Wales et al. If they do play these internationals then all these players get cup-tied from Origin and the Kangaroos.

#2 Bob8

Bob8
  • Coach
  • 9,496 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 01:23 PM

Would you have us all judged by the comments of Eddie and Stevo?

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

”I am all for expansion but not to start and string the teams all over the place” – stewpot01 – 11 July 2014

"2013 is on course to be one of the most disastrous in its history." - Creditwhereitsdews - 2nd January 2013

#3 Scubby

Scubby
  • Coach
  • 3,798 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 01:26 PM

Would you have us all judged by the comments of Eddie and Stevo?

It is quite different from the UK where commentators in Australia are influential people in the game like Darren Lockyer, Wally Lewis, Phil Gould, Andrew Johns, Peter Sterling, Brad Fittler etc.

#4 londonrlfan

londonrlfan
  • Coach
  • 842 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 01:40 PM

Milford was always going to play for Australia and Origin though. The problem is the switching, Milford would have never played for Samoa if you had one nation for life rule, same with Sims and Fiji and probably Frizell and Wales. I don't believe Segayaro has played for PNG, but he was going to play in the WC before withdrawing. That new Big Three + one other country rule is embarrassing and it won't surprise me if say Jarryd Hayne plays for Fiji in the 4 Nations qualifier and then plays for Australia in the Four Nations!

#5 Scubby

Scubby
  • Coach
  • 3,798 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 01:45 PM

Milford was always going to play for Australia and Origin though. The problem is the switching, Milford would have never played for Samoa if you had one nation for life rule, same with Sims and Fiji and probably Frizell and Wales. I don't believe Segayaro has played for PNG, but he was going to play in the WC before withdrawing. That new Big Three + one other country rule is embarrassing and it won't surprise me if say Jarryd Hayne plays for Fiji in the 4 Nations qualifier and then plays for Australia in the Four Nations!

Segerayo has played for PNG against the Aussie PM XIII. They even refuse to call the team that goes to PNG the Kangaroos so it won't be a full international. That stinks, of course lots of the big guns are missing but this happens in every sport where weakened teams (Eng RU in Argentine, Eng cricket T20, England football friendlies) play international games.

#6 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 10,076 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 02:27 PM

We need dual-nationality for World Cups; otherwise it will always be a three-team competition.

You can bet your life that the South Sea Islanders being discussed were turned into the finished article at ANZAC expense.

Same goes for Craig Kopzak, Iestyn Harris etc in England.

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

#7 thirteenthman

thirteenthman
  • Coach
  • 2,648 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 03:00 PM

The problem is that of the players the OP quotes, Anthony Milford, Tariq Sims and Tyson Frizell are all born and bred Aussies. They're only playing for Samoa, Fiji and Wales because of where their parents were born. I'm pretty sure if you asked any of those guys if they'd like to play for Australia, or in an Origin series, they'd say yes. In that respect, it's no different from English born Irish, Welsh or Scottish qualified lads being called up by England.

Take the heritage players out, and you make the smaller nations squads weaker - particularly noticeable during a World Cup. Conversely, when you let heritage players in, you end up with the nation hopping we get now. A 'one country for life' rule would simply see an end to the likes of Milford, Sims and Frizell even considering turning out for one of the smaller nations. Would that really help international RL?

#8 Grollo

Grollo
  • Banned
  • 310 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 03:12 PM

Good call. Our fans talk as if RL is the only sport which does this. I don't blame Milford or any other player who takes this chance.

Once British RL can preach to the Aussies, this scenario will continue. Unfortunately, we have the so-called leaders who seem to have no interest in advancing the British game.

What you are aware of you are in control of; what you are not aware of is in control of you.

#9 Southstander13

Southstander13
  • Coach
  • 1,271 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 03:46 PM

I've decided after the recent world cup that, whilst frustrating for all the reasons mentioned above, its the only way it will work given the strengths of each nation.

I will just ignore the swapping and judge each tournament on its own merits, knowing that an international team turning up one year may be very different to the same international team the year after. That way, you just watch the country and whichever squad they turn up with that year!

#10 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 10,076 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 04:05 PM

Rangi Chase, anyone?

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

#11 londonrlfan

londonrlfan
  • Coach
  • 842 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 04:16 PM

Take the heritage players out, and you make the smaller nations squads weaker - particularly noticeable during a World Cup. Conversely, when you let heritage players in, you end up with the nation hopping we get now. A 'one country for life' rule would simply see an end to the likes of Milford, Sims and Frizell even considering turning out for one of the smaller nations. Would that really help international RL?

I suppose that's the problem, the quick fix example. I guess you have to question how a country can develop when they are full of heritage players who will switch at the next available opportunity? Milford playing for Samoa for example. As soon as he's 'good enough' to play origin and for Australia, he will. He's only playing for Samoa, because he isn't ready yet for Australia and how will Samoa improve when their best players are elsewhere? The same thing will happen with Italy, Tedesco will be switching to Australia too and what will happen to their WC squad? None of them will want to play outside of the WC and you have to question how they're supposed to develop the sport and the national team. IMO, you need to have at least 5 home grown developed players in your WC squad, it doesn't matter what league they play in, as long as they came through the system in that country. That will be the only way to develop and grow the national squad and also it benefits the countries who are working hard to develop the sport in the country, rather than filling the squads with Australians. I know Wales, France and PNG struggled at this WC due to having a homegrown squad, but they are the ones who will benefit in the long run, as will Fiji. 

#12 Grollo

Grollo
  • Banned
  • 310 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 04:27 PM

OK, let NSW and QLD choose who they like for Origin, but limit the number each state can supply to The Kangaroos.

What you are aware of you are in control of; what you are not aware of is in control of you.

#13 londonrlfan

londonrlfan
  • Coach
  • 842 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 04:36 PM

OK, let NSW and QLD choose who they like for Origin, but limit the number each state can supply to The Kangaroos.

But that still doesn't stop the problem of switching and you can't force an Australian born player to play for another country. At some point, the likes of Italy, Samoa, Tonga, Ireland etc will have to start producing their own players if they want to compete in WCs, especially when countries like Jamaica are missing out. 

#14 Grollo

Grollo
  • Banned
  • 310 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 04:57 PM

But that still doesn't stop the problem of switching and you can't force an Australian born player to play for another country. At some point, the likes of Italy, Samoa, Tonga, Ireland etc will have to start producing their own players if they want to compete in WCs, especially when countries like Jamaica are missing out. 

It would stop switching if only a certain number of places were available. But that would require the ARL to abide by such laws.

#15 Paddsy

Paddsy
  • Players
  • 55 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 06:06 PM

Gus sais no no no no no  no no all the time. do i care no no no no no

#16 MrFussy

MrFussy
  • Coach
  • 1,489 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 06:25 PM

I don't really know what to think about this to be honest. I don't like the idea of players swapping nations as and when it suits them to do so. The problem is that many do seem to consider Origin to be 'The Holy Grail' of Rugby League, and representing Australia the greatest international honour. If we take the four excellent players in question, Tariq Sims, Anthony Millford, James Segerayo and Tyson Frizell, and tell them that these lines of opportunity are now forever cut off to them as they've already represented other nations then would this not be a massive blow to their motivation to progress within the game? It may even tempt them to explore opportunities in rival codes.

It's a difficult one but I think I'm with Southstander, I'll simply ignore it. I want these guys to have the opportunity to play at the highest level (or at least what they consider to be the highest level), and if they can strengthen the other nations in the meantime then so be it.

#17 EastLondonMike

EastLondonMike
  • Coach
  • 4,186 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 06:55 PM

To be perfectly honest, the commentators of the game in Aus mentioned are probably just completely ignorant to the facts of what International footballers aside from the players who have played consistently for Australia and NZ. They're ignorant, quite simply.

We're always going to have players swap nations until two things happen. Firstly, they (International fed.) produce a consistent, varied and long term fixture list for the likes of PNG, Fiji, Tonga, Samoa etc, and not just playing the hastily arranged token game between each other. Full tests against the likes of Aus, NZ, England and France.

And secondly, tighten the eligibility rules and enforce them. Don't look to bend them to suit certain countries whenever they want.

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

#18 londonrlfan

londonrlfan
  • Coach
  • 842 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 09:59 PM

I don't really know what to think about this to be honest. I don't like the idea of players swapping nations as and when it suits them to do so. The problem is that many do seem to consider Origin to be 'The Holy Grail' of Rugby League, and representing Australia the greatest international honour. If we take the four excellent players in question, Tariq Sims, Anthony Millford, James Segerayo and Tyson Frizell, and tell them that these lines of opportunity are now forever cut off to them as they've already represented other nations then would this not be a massive blow to their motivation to progress within the game? It may even tempt them to explore opportunities in rival codes.

It's a difficult one but I think I'm with Southstander, I'll simply ignore it. I want these guys to have the opportunity to play at the highest level (or at least what they consider to be the highest level), and if they can strengthen the other nations in the meantime then so be it.

Well, at the end of the day they're going to have to make that choice. It will either be: Choose to play for your heritage nation and miss out the chance of potentially playing Origin and for Australia or choose to play only for Australia/Origin and spend your whole career waiting for a chance and miss out on big tournaments in doing so. Just look at the Evans twins missing out on the Four Nations for Wales because they were hoping to play for England or Feleti Mateo missing the WC for a small chance of playing for NSW. Not everyone is going to be able to play Origin or for Australia, so they will have to make a decision. 

#19 Copa

Copa
  • Coach
  • 6,272 posts

Posted 12 April 2014 - 01:05 AM

We need dual-nationality for World Cups; otherwise it will always be a three-team competition.

You can bet your life that the South Sea Islanders being discussed were turned into the finished article at ANZAC expense.

Same goes for Craig Kopzak, Iestyn Harris etc in England.

a friendly FYI .

South Sea Islanders are a specific group of people of pacific islander descent. http://en.wikipedia....th_Sea_Islander

Many pacific islanders and those who are of pacific island descent are not south sea islanders.

#20 MrFussy

MrFussy
  • Coach
  • 1,489 posts

Posted 12 April 2014 - 08:20 AM

Well, at the end of the day they're going to have to make that choice. It will either be: Choose to play for your heritage nation and miss out the chance of potentially playing Origin and for Australia or choose to play only for Australia/Origin and spend your whole career waiting for a chance and miss out on big tournaments in doing so. Just look at the Evans twins missing out on the Four Nations for Wales because they were hoping to play for England or Feleti Mateo missing the WC for a small chance of playing for NSW. Not everyone is going to be able to play Origin or for Australia, so they will have to make a decision. 

I do kind of agree. But the issue then of course is that a lot of players will inevitably make the choice to risk reaching Origin level, and that in turn will weaken the other nations and reduce the chance of us having future international tournaments of the same excellent standard as last year's World Cup. There's no easy solution to this.

I guess it also works the other way with older players no longer in contention for Australia and Origin playing for their heritage / birth nations. It was great to see Civoniceva captaining Fiji. I was also very glad to see Minichello play live again in Cardiff, in what will surely be his last UK appearance before retirement (though I hoped we'd beat Italy of course).   

Edited by MrFussy, 12 April 2014 - 08:28 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users