Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Aussies at it again - wanting their cake and eating it!

• Please log in to reply
130 replies to this topic

#81 londonrlfan

londonrlfan
  • Coach
  • 869 posts

Posted 23 April 2014 - 06:40 PM

I'm not sure they see international RL as being as important as it is in the way we view it.

Regardless of whether they are right or wrong, the NRL views itself in an Australian way and what happens elsewhere being of secondary importance.

Rugby Union is not that important, certainly not as big as British media would have you believe.

The A League is still struggling to find it's place, but it is definitely in third place behind NRL and AFL.

The AFL would love international expansion, but that isn't going to happen. They don't see rugger has their major competition and probably never have.

My guess is the NRL would like to see international expansion, but that competing with the AFL is their number one priority.

I don't disagree with you and I think it's obvious that they want to rival with AFL rather than grow the game worldwide, but if they believe they can run RL all by themselves, they are wrong. Australia has a pop. of 22 million and NZ has a pop of 4 million, they realistically aren't anywhere near big enough to support the game by themselves. They need to look to the Far East coin to grow bigger, both through sponsors and taking games there. I'd say it's criminal that AFL have taken games there before but not the NRL. 

#82 CGD

CGD
  • Coach
  • 901 posts

Posted 24 April 2014 - 12:50 AM

I can't say Milford "seriously outplayed" Slater last weekend, and I'm a huge Milford and Raiders fan. He may have just edged him after pulling out some influential plays in the second half, but Slater definitely had the more consistent game.

Milford is not ready for Origin this year, and certainly not Australia. Although I would love to see what he could do playing off Cronk, Smith and Thurston.

EDIT: He's still only 19. That's scary.

Edited by CGD, 24 April 2014 - 12:52 AM.

#83 Mushy

Mushy
  • Coach
  • 299 posts

Posted 26 April 2014 - 06:23 PM

Milford looked fairly good in the World Cup but still a fair way off world beater. Ryan Hampshire is our equivalent I reckon as he looks all class.

Interesting which NRL stars looked merely fine over here last year but continue to carve up the NRL - Daniel Tupou being another who didn't stand out a lot, and neither did Wallace, whereas Masoe looked great value was did pretty much the whole NZ team most of the time. Different comps, different styles, different players.

#84 Scubby

Scubby
  • Coach
  • 3,912 posts

Posted 27 April 2014 - 12:14 AM

This just gets better. Apparently Anthony Milford is not injured but he is going to be playing for Queensland U20s in a curtain raiser - yes curtain raiser - to the Fiji v Samoa test. Talk about rubbing a country's nose in it. Geez, this SOO at all costs rubbish really cheeses me off!

http://www.smh.com.a...0426-zqzv7.html

Also according to this article, Stuart appears to have completely back-tracked on the bull he was coming out with regarding Milford needing to rest and not play for Samoa. He now appears all for him playing in the Queensland U20 game.

Edited by Scubby, 27 April 2014 - 12:19 AM.

#85 mt smart

mt smart
  • Coach
  • 620 posts

Posted 27 April 2014 - 04:42 AM

The Aussies ( and this may be taken offensively by some excellent Australian posters here ...it's not meant to cause offence...more a dry look at the world from an Australian world view ) have a strange habit of colonising anything within their sphere.

Kiwis will tell you about how the 2011 and Warriors team were adopted as an ' Australasian ' alternative for neutral Aussies who can't stand Manly in that grand final...pretty funny Aussie Media articles were written about their conquests and hypnotism of NZ citizens and NZ achievements.

The NZ Soccer teams david and Goliath no losses WC round robin form was hailed in the Aussie media as an ' Australasian success "

Russell Crowe is the sort of egghead who feeds into that illusion by trying to sell his Kiwi birthright for more fashionable Australian recognition ( Peter Jackson will never use you in a movie Russ ).

Phar Lap was a Kiwi Horse made Australian Icon....we invented Pavlova they claimed it......they're a pack of crooks and we are trying to catch up to match em.

Why do they do this Origin thing ?

In Rugby league the Aussies are the Down Under Yanks

It is their World series of Baseball , their dream teams all Australian Myth.

Good on ya Digger , why not...if it works emulate it....

Accordingly the Kiwis prepare for this AnZac farce to pick the cream of the Pacific Island nations to rip their players off.

Sad state of affairs in the southern hemisphere......aus / NZ as bad as each other.

Edited by mt smart, 27 April 2014 - 04:43 AM.

#86 londonrlfan

londonrlfan
  • Coach
  • 869 posts

Posted 27 April 2014 - 07:47 PM

This just gets better. Apparently Anthony Milford is not injured but he is going to be playing for Queensland U20s in a curtain raiser - yes curtain raiser - to the Fiji v Samoa test. Talk about rubbing a country's nose in it. Geez, this SOO at all costs rubbish really cheeses me off!

http://www.smh.com.a...0426-zqzv7.html

Also according to this article, Stuart appears to have completely back-tracked on the bull he was coming out with regarding Milford needing to rest and not play for Samoa. He now appears all for him playing in the Queensland U20 game.

This is why I'm in favour of one nation for life. Milford clearly wasn't interested in playing for Samoa, just using them for a WC place and with one nation for life, a more loyal player would have got a chance instead. 

#87 hutch

hutch
  • Coach
  • 377 posts

Posted 27 April 2014 - 10:39 PM

This is why I'm in favour of one nation for life. Milford clearly wasn't interested in playing for Samoa, just using them for a WC place and with one nation for life, a more loyal player would have got a chance instead.

That's the real issue here!

#88 hutch

hutch
  • Coach
  • 377 posts

Posted 27 April 2014 - 10:42 PM

Also interesting that nz have picked a Cook Islands WC player in Isaac John, Samoa picked another Cook Islands player in Dominic peyroux, Samoa picked nz player krisnan inu, tariq sims has brushed Fiji to play for country origin. It's all one big mess!

#89 thirteenthman

thirteenthman
  • Coach
  • 2,677 posts

Posted 28 April 2014 - 06:10 AM

http://www.nrl.com/q...02/default.aspx

“We’re delighted to have Anthony in the Queensland team,” Walters said.

“We understand there is going to be a lot of discussion around eligibility, but this is a pretty simple one – Anthony is eligible for Queensland, he wants to play for the Maroons and he’s been selected.

I've got no problem with Milford wanting to play for Queensland - he is a born and bred Aussie. What is annoying is Canberra and Ricky Stuart coming out with a load of BS about him needing to rest his injured knee. They presumably knew he was going to be picked for Queensland Under 20s, so why come out with the knee injury nonsense? It's even more bizarre when you consider that the Samoa coach works for Canberra. 

#90 EastLondonMike

EastLondonMike
  • Coach
  • 4,228 posts

Posted 28 April 2014 - 07:30 AM

Deep down no one seems to care about the pride playing for your country.. or that clearly players put their hand up to represent Samoa or Fiji but really don't consider them to be 'their' country. What annoys me is that the powers within the game, in administration and the personalities within the game (ex-players, commentators etc) don't seem too fussed about pulling people up on such things.

No one has questioned the loyalty of these players. It would be the first thing i'd be doing as a journalist or commentator on the game..

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

#91 londonrlfan

londonrlfan
  • Coach
  • 869 posts

Posted 28 April 2014 - 12:53 PM

The main reason for this switching is because teams like Samoa and Tonga don't develop their own players and fill their squads with ex-Kiwi/future-Kangaroo players in the squads. Basically every year they will have a different squad to the one before, how is that supposed to develop the team! Personally, I can't see why you'd want to represent two different nations anyway. All that signing in the National anthem must be a charade. 

#92 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 5,628 posts

Posted 28 April 2014 - 12:59 PM

The main reason for this switching is because teams like Samoa and Tonga don't develop their own players and fill their squads with ex-Kiwi/future-Kangaroo players in the squads. Basically every year they will have a different squad to the one before, how is that supposed to develop the team! Personally, I can't see why you'd want to represent two different nations anyway. All that signing in the National anthem must be a charade. 

I guess you were against Jarod Hayne playing for Aus in the WC then seeing as how he played for Fiji in the 2008 version.

#93 londonrlfan

londonrlfan
  • Coach
  • 869 posts

Posted 28 April 2014 - 01:03 PM

He played for Australia first, so yes. He hasn't played for them since, so I don't see how that helps Fiji excatly?

#94 Scubby

Scubby
  • Coach
  • 3,912 posts

Posted 28 April 2014 - 01:42 PM

The representative weekend needs to be replaced by the International weekend. Having City v Country and Queensland U20s v NSW U20s on at the same time as these tests has just muddied the water and cost Fiji and Samoa some key players.

The rule says you can play for a tier 2 (hate that term) and still opt for Origin etc. but if Mal Menniga and Laurie Daley are hell bent on twisting the arms of people like Tariq Sims and Anthony Milford to play in these nothing "trials" (which conveniently clash with tests) then we will never get anywhere.

Edited by Scubby, 28 April 2014 - 01:43 PM.

#95 EastLondonMike

EastLondonMike
  • Coach
  • 4,228 posts

Posted 28 April 2014 - 03:28 PM

Their are even plagarising this thread title now!

http://www.smh.com.a...0428-zr0u9.html

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

#96 Scubby

Scubby
  • Coach
  • 3,912 posts

Posted 28 April 2014 - 03:47 PM

I want a citation from the smh (or at least stop blocking me after I've read 10 articles)! :sleep: 

Edited by Scubby, 28 April 2014 - 03:52 PM.

#97 thirteenthman

thirteenthman
  • Coach
  • 2,677 posts

Posted 28 April 2014 - 03:52 PM

Queensland and Australia selector Des Morris says the Anthony Milford tug-of-war between the Maroons and Samoa has exposed flaws that need tweaking in rugby league's representative eligibility laws.

But he insisted the Canberra Raiders star ''can't have his cake and eat it too'', and backed Milford's decision to choose the Queensland under-20s over Samoa this weekend. 

Milford was on Monday named at five-eighth in the junior Maroons team to play NSW at Penrith on Saturday, the curtain-raiser to Samoa's clash with Fiji. 

The 19-year-old is reportedly in line to be Queensland's 18th man for State of Origin I. Canberra teammate Josh Papalii filled that role for the Maroons in last year's series opener before being blooded for the final two games.

Morris didn't rule out Milford following the same path, and it is likely it will happen provided Queensland coach Mal Meninga is happy with his form in coming weeks. 

''We all know he's a great talent and it [18th man duties] could happen, whether or not time will tell,'' Morris said. 

''Obviously we've got an ageing roster and we are conscious we have to bring the young fellas through, and have them as well prepared as we can before their Origin debut.''

Morris said juggling the interests of the states and emerging nations would always be an imperfect practice, but believed Milford's decision was in his best long-term interests. 

''I think they [eligibility rules] all need tweaking. The NRL is doing a good job of sorting it out and I'm pretty sure in a year or so, they'll have it down pat,'' he said. 

''Sometimes you can't have your cake and eat it too; sometimes you can't say I want to be a Samoan one week and a Queenslander the next.

''We have to be as providing as we can of the emerging nations though and work our way through it. 

''It's great to see when they can play for the smaller nations, but he's a Queenslander and learnt his footy here. Sometimes the young fellas have to make a difficult decision. 

''We can be all nostalgic and try and do the right thing by where your family comes from, but if you want to play on the big stage, they need to recognise what Queensland has done for them as well.''

Morris also admitted it was a tough call to drop Papalii from Friday's Test against New Zealand, after the back-rower starred for Australia in last year's World Cup final win. 

The 23-year-old has been below his best since returning from an ankle injury three weeks ago, but Morris said he remains in contention to retain his Queensland jumper. 

''We've got another two games to go [before selection]. No doubt he'll get a bit fitter and he's every chance,'' Morris said. 

''This weekend [against Manly] he didn't have a good game and his teammates didn't, but he'll bounce back I'm sure. 

''He's not far away but you don't hand out Australian jerseys on a whim, you have to earn them.''

Three others Raiders – Luke Bateman, Patrick Mago and Brenko Lee – were also named in the junior Maroons team.

#98 Scubby

Scubby
  • Coach
  • 3,912 posts

Posted 28 April 2014 - 03:53 PM

At least we all know what "The Big Stage" is now - and it's not International RL

#99 EastLondonMike

EastLondonMike
  • Coach
  • 4,228 posts

Posted 28 April 2014 - 09:42 PM

Some of the quotes in that article just make you want to bang your head against a wall.

Someone please suggest to 'Des' that the Australian selection rules be changed.

To be eligible to play SOO you should also have to be eligible to play for Australia, but if your also eligible to play for Samoa, NZ, PNG or any other nation, you should have that choice to make, without having to forgo a chance to play SOO.

I actually think Aussie RL fans are starting to get fed up with the whole eligibility business. Looking online I've not seen so many comments saying how bad it is and with plenty of people taking digs at origin for fostering it.

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

#100 EastLondonMike

EastLondonMike
  • Coach
  • 4,228 posts

Posted 29 April 2014 - 07:06 PM

Just noticed Nene Macdonald is also in the QLD U20's squad.. Nene having played for PNG in last years world cup despite playing for QLD U20's last year also..

www.newhamdockers.co.uk