League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Aussies at it again - wanting their cake and eating it!

• Please log in to reply
130 replies to this topic

#101 Scubby

Scubby
  • Coach
  • 3,834 posts

Posted 29 April 2014 - 10:45 PM

NSW have now persuaded David Maed to chuck in 5 years of playing for PNG and declare for Australia - so he can play in a City-Country park fixture. Jesus would indeed have wept!!

http://www.foxsports...u-1226900064511

#102 RugbyLeagueGeek

RugbyLeagueGeek
  • Coach
  • 630 posts

Posted 29 April 2014 - 11:50 PM

NSW have now persuaded David Maed to chuck in 5 years of playing for PNG and declare for Australia - so he can play in a City-Country park fixture. Jesus would indeed have wept!!

That makes depressing reading. So much for the world cup 'legacy'. It pains me to say it, but the structure and credibility of the international game are complete ######.

#103 Scubby

Scubby
  • Coach
  • 3,834 posts

Posted 29 April 2014 - 11:59 PM

That makes depressing reading. So much for the world cup 'legacy'. It pains me to say it, but the structure and credibility of the international game are complete ######.

I have started another thread on LU where I asked the question whether preventing Mead from playing SOO if he refused to give up his nationality (RL wise) could actually ever stand up legally? SOO is an interstate series - it precludes players from WA and Victoria etc. Could someone like Jack Reed who has only played his RL in Queensland despite being born in England successfully win a restraint of trade case - allowing him to keep his RL allegiance to his birth country.

SOO eligibility is based on where you played your first RL not where you were born.

Edited by Scubby, 30 April 2014 - 12:00 AM.

#104 RugbyLeagueGeek

RugbyLeagueGeek
  • Coach
  • 630 posts

Posted 30 April 2014 - 12:21 AM

SOO eligibility is based on where you played your first RL not where you were born.

This is what I don't understand. It could be quite easy for the ARL to say that players from other nations could represent NSW or Queensland without compromising their international eligibility for other nations. This ruling would go a long way to stopping the ridiculous nation swapping that goes on.

#105 welshmagpie

welshmagpie
  • Coach
  • 421 posts

Posted 30 April 2014 - 01:22 AM

“I’m definitely stoked to be able to put on a rep jersey. It’s a dream come true.”

This quote has ###### me right off! What bigger accolade should there be than playing for your country!! Is that not a 'rep' jersey David? He clearly cares little for QLD or NSW aS he's tried to get his feet into both camps clearly with eyes on the money and personal accolade.

Joke, an absolute joke.

Edited by welshmagpie, 30 April 2014 - 01:31 AM.

#106 Scubby

Scubby
  • Coach
  • 3,834 posts

Posted 30 April 2014 - 07:28 AM

“I’m definitely stoked to be able to put on a rep jersey. It’s a dream come true.”

This quote has ###### me right off! What bigger accolade should there be than playing for your country!! Is that not a 'rep' jersey David? He clearly cares little for QLD or NSW aS he's tried to get his feet into both camps clearly with eyes on the money and personal accolade.

Joke, an absolute joke.

None of these players talk about it being a dream to play for Australia - because for many it isn't. It is just a consequence of being able to play origin.

#107 RugbyLeagueGeek

RugbyLeagueGeek
  • Coach
  • 630 posts

Posted 30 April 2014 - 09:23 AM

IMO, if the Aussies genuinely cared about international RL, they could make the international game stronger in an instant by removing the rule that players must be eligible for Australia in order to play origin. But they don't.

#108 Scubby

Scubby
  • Coach
  • 3,834 posts

Posted 30 April 2014 - 09:32 AM

IMO, if the Aussies genuinely cared about international RL, they could make the international game stronger in an instant by removing the rule that players must be eligible for Australia in order to play origin. But they don't.

The more multi-cultural the NRL gets the more fear-factor will kick in and, if allowed, this behaviour will only escalate. Imagine if Origin didn't exist and it was a straight fight for eligibility between players like James Taumou, Akil Uate, Tariq Sims, Anthony Milford etc?

Origin is the big carrot to keep Australia dominant over the next 10 years. They cry foul about not being challenged then do everything in their power to twist the rules to weaken the challenge.

I am amazed how some of the current Kiwis declined origin (and cash) to play test football (Isaac Luke, Keiron Froan, Jason Nightingale, Josh Hoffman, JWH, Roger Tuavasa Shek). Imagine if it was a straight decision on who you would play for?

In some ways it is like the original origin decision, when all the Queenslanders were forced to play for NSW because they were at Sydney clubs. Queensland kept getting wacked every year until the rules got straightened.

#109 EastLondonMike

EastLondonMike
  • Coach
  • 4,191 posts

Posted 30 April 2014 - 11:17 AM

Regardless of this world cup cycle rule, you should not be allowed to represent another country (even if you are eligible) for two years after your last game, as it used to be. If Nene Macdonald or David Mead played for PNG last year, they should not be allowed to play for any other nation they qualify for, for another two years, and if you have to qualify for Australia to play state football, then you'll have to wait two years.

I fully expect Mead, Macdonald and Milford etc to switch back to PNG/Samoa once they've played their city/country/QLD 20's games, as the rules allow them to do so as they won't have played for Australia.. which makes this whole mess even more of a mockery.

As recently stated in one of Mascord's articles, the International federation don't recognise SOO eligibility rules, and vice versa..

We need one or two players to stand up for their heritage, or at least be honest and say they'd rather not play for their country of heritage anymore. And if thats the case these countries should have enough about them to draw a line under it and not entertain the idea of picking those players again. But sadly it seems they don't.

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

#110 thirteenthman

thirteenthman
  • Coach
  • 2,658 posts

Posted 30 April 2014 - 12:18 PM

Removing the need for Origin players to declare Australia as their country of election would only lessen the impact of nation hopping. You could still get someone like Anthony Milford turning out for Samoa one year and Australia the next. 

Look at the NZ squad for this weeks Anzac test - there's a Tongan and a Cook Islands player from last year in there. Samoa have got Inu who was in last years NZ WC squad and they've got a 2013 Cook Islander as well. If there's going to be a 2 year cycle, in needs to be a fixed 2 year cycle - not one to be completely ignored simply because a World Cup has just took place. 

#111 londonrlfan

londonrlfan
  • Coach
  • 842 posts

Posted 30 April 2014 - 12:41 PM

http://www.smh.com.a...l#ixzz30LbQmi00

Such an arrogant article! They really do think they're Americans, don't they? Why not just get rid of international rugby league and call Origin the 'World Series' and have a royal rumble to decide who plays for which team? 

#112 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 5,478 posts

Posted 30 April 2014 - 12:55 PM

Such an arrogant article! They really do think they're Americans, don't they? Why not just get rid of international rugby league and call Origin the 'World Series' and have a royal rumble to decide who plays for which team? 

The World Series is a club competition and got it's name from the first one being played as part of a World's Fair exposition in, I think, St Louis.

When Baseball, late in the game, decided to promote international competition, and founded a World Cup, known as the World Baseball Classic, all the many foreign players in the American leagues, suited up for their national teams. that's probably why the first three winners have been Japan twice and the Dominican Republic. despite  the USA  entering a team of American born players.

That scenario is the exact opposite of what is occurring with the players in Australia and international allegiances.

if we went the way of Baseball, maybe Samoa. Fiji et al would retain their stars and upset the pecking order of international RL.

#113 RugbyLeagueGeek

RugbyLeagueGeek
  • Coach
  • 630 posts

Posted 30 April 2014 - 01:28 PM

Reading that makes me wish we could tell Australia to sod off and organise an international schedule without them. But we can't because we need their cooperation. And they know it.

#114 RugbyLeagueGeek

RugbyLeagueGeek
  • Coach
  • 630 posts

Posted 30 April 2014 - 01:31 PM

And this might sound like sour grapes but I honestly don't find Origin as entertaining as it used to be. It's become a bit sanitised in recent years and is nowhere near as brutal. Don't get me wrong - I'll still watch it, but it does a lot less for me these days. Give me an international anyday.

#115 londonrlfan

londonrlfan
  • Coach
  • 842 posts

Posted 30 April 2014 - 01:35 PM

That's thing though, isn't it? Origin is the 'pinnacle' because it's so 'intense' and 'competitive', despite Queensland dominating for 10 years. Yet IRL is a one way train, despite NZ winning the Tri Nations, 4 Nations and a WC in the last decade, when NSW have won nothing. 

#116 GeordieSaint

GeordieSaint
  • Coach
  • 4,826 posts

Posted 01 May 2014 - 08:13 AM

That's thing though, isn't it? Origin is the 'pinnacle' because it's so 'intense' and 'competitive', despite Queensland dominating for 10 years. Yet IRL is a one way train, despite NZ winning the Tri Nations, 4 Nations and a WC in the last decade, when NSW have won nothing. 

SOO is the 'pinnacle' due to the money it generates for both the game and players. If International RL were to generate more money, it would soon become the pinnacle rather than SOO.

Kings Lynn Black Knights Rugby League Club - http://www.pitchero....nnblackknights/

#117 hutch

hutch
  • Coach
  • 366 posts

Posted 01 May 2014 - 11:31 AM

The author of that article is Steve mascord, perhaps the biggest fan of international rugby league of all journos. He is just calling it how many Aussies look at things.

Edited by hutch, 01 May 2014 - 11:33 AM.

#118 Scubby

Scubby
  • Coach
  • 3,834 posts

Posted 01 May 2014 - 12:09 PM

There is no doubt in my mind that there is a correlation between all these Origin shenanigans and the RLIF dragging its feet over putting together an international calendar. 

There is no co-incidence that Tonga and PNG do not have a fixture on "rep weekend" - why not have PNG v Tonga followed by Fiji v Samoa (instead of a NSW U20)? It would have been pretty simply to organise. Why? Because James Segeyaro, Sika Manu, David Mead, Konrad Hurrell, Daniel Tupou etc. would all have wanted to turn out.

Stick your fingers in your ears about International RL (and sing la la la) and these 'potential problems' for getting the best origin teams out there go away! 

Edited by Scubby, 01 May 2014 - 12:11 PM.

#119 thirteenthman

thirteenthman
  • Coach
  • 2,658 posts

Posted 01 May 2014 - 01:12 PM

I don't quite see what the Origin series has go to do with Konrad Hurell turning out for Tonga. And for all we know the PNGRFL might not have wanted an international right now. I read that the post World Cup funding was the big issue in not sorting out the international calendar.

I get your point to a degree, but changing Origin won't stop Kiwis, Tongans, Samoans and Cook Islanders swopping nations like we're seeing this week. But at least the Aussies will get to see some mid season internationals this year, which is more than we will. 

#120 Scubby

Scubby
  • Coach
  • 3,834 posts

Posted 01 May 2014 - 01:20 PM

I don't quite see what the Origin series has go to do with Konrad Hurell turning out for Tonga. And for all we know the PNGRFL might not have wanted an international right now. I read that the post World Cup funding was the big issue in not sorting out the international calendar.

I get your point to a degree, but changing Origin won't stop Kiwis, Tongans, Samoans and Cook Islanders swopping nations like we're seeing this week. But at least the Aussies will get to see some mid season internationals this year, which is more than we will. 

The Kiwis are just as bad and England will continue to flout the rules as they are. The RLIF should insist that the full member nations have to commit to at least 3 full test internationals per year. They could apply for funding from the RLIF to put towards some of the costs etc.

If I was Konrad Hurrell and Fui Fui I would be looking for someone else to play for because my country seems to have disappeared off the RL planet.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users