TotalRL.com Shop Alert: Last Ordering Date for Free Pre-Xmas Delivery within UK: 2pm Thursday 18th December!!
Rugby League Yearbook 2014/15 The Forbidden Game League Express League Express Gift Card Rugby League World Rugby League World Gift Card
Buy Now £14.99 / Kindle Buy Now £14.99 / Kindle Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards

Photo
- - - - -

Aussies at it again - wanting their cake and eating it!

• Please log in to reply
130 replies to this topic

#121 thirteenthman

thirteenthman
  • Coach
  • 2,686 posts

Posted 01 May 2014 - 02:49 PM

The Kiwis are just as bad and England will continue to flout the rules as they are. The RLIF should insist that the full member nations have to commit to at least 3 full test internationals per year. They could apply for funding from the RLIF to put towards some of the costs etc.

If some of these countries played one full international a year it would be something. Regular, full internationals for all nations has got to be something the game moves towards now. 

#122 londonrlfan

londonrlfan
  • Coach
  • 1,031 posts

Posted 01 May 2014 - 09:15 PM

The Kiwis are just as bad and England will continue to flout the rules as they are. The RLIF should insist that the full member nations have to commit to at least 3 full test internationals per year. They could apply for funding from the RLIF to put towards some of the costs etc.

If I was Konrad Hurrell and Fui Fui I would be looking for someone else to play for because my country seems to have disappeared off the RL planet.

Kiwis picking born and bred Kiwis isn't really a problem, the problem is they're allowed to switch. I still think the Islander nations, particularly Tonga, Samoa and the CIs, need to be forced to start producing and developing their own players, rather than whinging when the Australian born players they pick want to play Origin. Hopefully more games will mean a settled squad for those nations, but I doubt it when you're allowed to switch as much as you want. 

#123 thirteenthman

thirteenthman
  • Coach
  • 2,686 posts

Posted 01 May 2014 - 10:14 PM

Kiwis picking born and bred Kiwis isn't really a problem, the problem is they're allowed to switch. I still think the Islander nations, particularly Tonga, Samoa and the CIs, need to be forced to start producing and developing their own players, rather than whinging when the Australian born players they pick want to play Origin. Hopefully more games will mean a settled squad for those nations, but I doubt it when you're allowed to switch as much as you want. 

It would be nice if the Pacific nations could produce more of their own players, but its worth remembering how small some of these places are. Tonga only has a population of just over 100,000, and apparently half of all the Tongans in the world live outside Tonga (NZ and the US have the biggest populations). Even when they do produce homegrown players, they'll doubtless leave for Aus or NZ because that's where the money is. As soon as they go to Australia or NZ, they become part of their systems and qualify to play for those nations. 

In fact, considering the competition from sports like Union, it's pretty amazing how many born and bred Tongans, Samoans and the like do actually go on to be Rugby League players. 

#124 londonrlfan

londonrlfan
  • Coach
  • 1,031 posts

Posted 01 May 2014 - 10:35 PM

It would be nice if the Pacific nations could produce more of their own players, but its worth remembering how small some of these places are. Tonga only has a population of just over 100,000, and apparently half of all the Tongans in the world live outside Tonga (NZ and the US have the biggest populations). Even when they do produce homegrown players, they'll doubtless leave for Aus or NZ because that's where the money is. As soon as they go to Australia or NZ, they become part of their systems and qualify to play for those nations. 

In fact, considering the competition from sports like Union, it's pretty amazing how many born and bred Tongans, Samoans and the like do actually go on to be Rugby League players. 

I know they're miniscule, but these countries are being given automatic entry to the WC, so I think it's unfair on other countries who don't qualify, if they're not doing any leg work. I think there's far too many Pacific teams in the WC if I'm honest and it should be cut down by two. 

#125 welshmagpie

welshmagpie
  • Coach
  • 440 posts

Posted 01 May 2014 - 11:12 PM

I know they're miniscule, but these countries are being given automatic entry to the WC, so I think it's unfair on other countries who don't qualify, if they're not doing any leg work. I think there's far too many Pacific teams in the WC if I'm honest and it should be cut down by two.

Whilst I agree that there are nations in the pacific that aren't pulling their weight, there is too much talent available for the half a dozen or so pacific nations to deny the majority of them a WC berth.

Would lessen the quality at a WC

#126 thirteenthman

thirteenthman
  • Coach
  • 2,686 posts

Posted 01 May 2014 - 11:17 PM

To be honest that argument could be used for a few non-Pacific nations as well - Ireland springs to mind. Not sure we need to cut down on teams from the Pacific yet, but I am hoping we get a proper qualification tournament for 2017. 

#127 londonrlfan

londonrlfan
  • Coach
  • 1,031 posts

Posted 02 May 2014 - 08:37 AM

To be honest that argument could be used for a few non-Pacific nations as well - Ireland springs to mind. Not sure we need to cut down on teams from the Pacific yet, but I am hoping we get a proper qualification tournament for 2017. 

Yeah, I agree about Ireland. I just think having half the teams from a 14 team WC from one area is a bit much, but yeah I'm hoping we see proper qualifying and regional qualifiers if possible. 

#128 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 6,059 posts

Posted 02 May 2014 - 12:34 PM

Whilst I agree that there are nations in the pacific that aren't pulling their weight, there is too much talent available for the half a dozen or so pacific nations to deny the majority of them a WC berth.

Would lessen the quality at a WC

Indeed, Fiji have made the semi finals in the last two World Cups. In each case a step too far, but still, we can hardly ban semi finalists.

#129 londonrlfan

londonrlfan
  • Coach
  • 1,031 posts

Posted 02 May 2014 - 03:03 PM

Indeed, Fiji have made the semi finals in the last two World Cups. In each case a step too far, but still, we can hardly ban semi finalists.

Fiji and the Cook Islands are not the same country you know.

#130 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 6,059 posts

Posted 02 May 2014 - 08:41 PM

Fiji and the Cook Islands are not the same country you know.

1. I think I know that. Captain Cook was a Yorkie after all

2. The post was talking about banning Pacific island Nations. Both the Cooks and Fiji come under that banner. The Cooks beat Wales so they are hardly underperforming seeing as how the total population is around 20,000.

3. I don't know exactly what point you are making here.

#131 londonrlfan

londonrlfan
  • Coach
  • 1,031 posts

Posted 02 May 2014 - 09:47 PM

I didn't say ban, I just said there's too many from one area in a 14 team competition. Yes, CIs beat Wales, but they were a team of Kiwis and Australians, not locals and they were the only nation not to pick any players born or developed in the country. It's nothing to do with the development work in the Cook Islands, which was my point to begin with. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users