TotalRL.com Shop Alert: Last Ordering Date for Free Pre-Xmas Delivery within UK: 2pm Thursday 18th December!!
Rugby League Yearbook 2014/15 The Forbidden Game League Express League Express Gift Card Rugby League World Rugby League World Gift Card
Buy Now £14.99 / Kindle Buy Now £14.99 / Kindle Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards

Photo
- - - - -

Rethinking the Game

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Bob8

Bob8
  • Coach
  • 9,617 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 07:18 PM

Number 16 mentioned in passing "we lost out to an American Football team that attracts crowds of 500-750 a game."

We have to look at what american football and roller derby do and beat them at it.

Why can they get the crowds?

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

”I am all for expansion but not to start and string the teams all over the place” – stewpot01 – 11 July 2014

"2013 is on course to be one of the most disastrous in its history." - Creditwhereitsdews - 2nd January 2013

#2 Wilber

Wilber
  • Coach
  • 131 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 08:11 PM

You have lost me Bob8 ??

#3 Bob8

Bob8
  • Coach
  • 9,617 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 09:04 PM

If they can get large crowds at what is not very special level of play, should we not do the same?

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

”I am all for expansion but not to start and string the teams all over the place” – stewpot01 – 11 July 2014

"2013 is on course to be one of the most disastrous in its history." - Creditwhereitsdews - 2nd January 2013

#4 RugbyLeagueGeek

RugbyLeagueGeek
  • Coach
  • 726 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 11:54 PM

If they can get large crowds at what is not very special level of play, should we not do the same?

I suspect the American Football crowds that were mentioned are for the highest level of domestic competition in the UK, so the figures aren't really comparable.

#5 bbfaz

bbfaz
  • Coach
  • 232 posts

Posted 12 April 2014 - 09:06 PM

Yeah, London Warriors (now at Streatham-Croydon) have been to the Britbowl each of the last three years against London Blitz, finally beating them in 2013. They're one of the top two in the country right now.

Beckenham Bears RL - Rugby League in South East London

#6 EdinburghExile

EdinburghExile
  • Coach
  • 614 posts

Posted 14 April 2014 - 12:09 PM

You mention Roller Derby - they seem to get a disproportionate amount of coverage - I suppose it helps that it identifies with alternative culture to an extent, I've even seen it on the Extreme TV channel, whatever that's called. I think we could learn some marketing lessons from them. I'm not saying we should copy them exactly, but they're doing something right.

#7 Number 16

Number 16
  • Coach
  • 6,324 posts

Posted 14 April 2014 - 01:15 PM

Yes, the London Warriors are the biggest domestic draw for American Football fans. Still, the crowds they get aren't huge, but are beyond anything Storm can get.  

Some positive is that we may get the chance to play a couple of games at S-C whilst training at the Hurricanes base.

SOUTH LONDON STORM - 1997-2014

#8 Mister C

Mister C
  • Coach
  • 648 posts

Posted 14 April 2014 - 02:08 PM

Yes, the London Warriors are the biggest domestic draw for American Football fans. Still, the crowds they get aren't huge, but are beyond anything Storm can get.  

Some positive is that we may get the chance to play a couple of games at S-C whilst training at the Hurricanes base.

what happened to the RFL funded ground at a school? Is that solely in use by the school now?

#9 bbfaz

bbfaz
  • Coach
  • 232 posts

Posted 14 April 2014 - 02:35 PM

Still being used by Croydon Hurricanes.

Beckenham Bears RL - Rugby League in South East London

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users