Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Another Good Win

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 The King Of Leon

The King Of Leon
  • 4,445 posts

Posted 14 April 2014 - 12:04 AM

Great performance once again against a team who played some decent football. Defensively we were superb conceding only one try and taking virtually every chance that came our way.M O M must go to  James Houston who got a hat trick, but once again it was a fine team display with everyone playing well, a special mention to Casey Canterbury who came on for his 1st league debut at half time and gave some real quality passes from dummy half, weve 3 really good no 9,s now with Tebb,y and Liam Hood and I can never remember Hunslet having an embarrassment of riches like this before at hooker ! Gloucester were no mugs and in scrum half Danny Thomas had a really good playmaker who I thought was outstanding for them. A good day and to make it better Oxford beat York...

Posted Image

#2 Lapu Lapu Hun

Lapu Lapu Hun
  • Players
  • 23 posts

Posted 14 April 2014 - 05:55 AM

Definitely a great result with Oxford beating York AT York. Considering we put 114 points against them in consecutive weeks we couldn't have asked for better from Oxford. The good thing from Hawks point of view is that we kept up our averages of scoring over 40 points a game and only conceding 11. Both defensively and attacking it seems we have a healthy squad as a whole. Next weeks game against Oldham should give a truer picture of how good we really are. Well done to the team for yesterdays performance. 

#3 Lapu Lapu Hun

Lapu Lapu Hun
  • Players
  • 23 posts

Posted 14 April 2014 - 06:09 AM

Forgot to mention a special well done to James Houston in scoring a hat trick, there can't be too many props that score hat tricks.  

#4 Neverumind3

Neverumind3
  • Players
  • 48 posts

Posted 14 April 2014 - 07:28 AM

A very good win against a tough all golds side with some good players, thought there big second row forward was there best player heard he has broke his leg which will be a massive loss for them. You could the tactics th all golds had and they was very niggily the tackles ripping the ball at every opportunity

Are forwards stepped up again and set the platform for our backs to work on, nice to see james coyle back and well done to Houston on his hat trick.

KOL I think youve been drinking again I make it 4 great hookers that we have at this club

#5 The King Of Leon

The King Of Leon
  • 4,445 posts

Posted 14 April 2014 - 07:48 AM

Your bang right we do have 4 great hookers though id class Marchy more than an hooker, an inspirational leader who can play either loose forward hooker or even half back.

Posted Image

#6 pudsey hawk

pudsey hawk
  • Coach
  • 1,010 posts

Posted 14 April 2014 - 09:07 AM

Good in defence and attack. the amount of possession all golds had mainly off little kicks that got them another set showed they were no mugs but maybe inexperienced.Friday is the tester for us having already lost at home to York.

#7 gabby

gabby
  • Coach
  • 750 posts

Posted 14 April 2014 - 01:53 PM

Says in one of the papers, Ansell scored a really brilliant individual try with a jinking solo run. He showed a beautiful combination of quick feet and several changes of direction. As I remember it, he took a pass 10 yards from the line and ran over. Do these reporters attend the games?
It is far better to remain silent and be thought a fool
than to open your mouth and prove that you are.

#8 MikeFletchersBarmyArmy

MikeFletchersBarmyArmy
  • Coach
  • 434 posts

Posted 14 April 2014 - 02:44 PM

I was thoroughly disappointed to travel all that way to discover all golds don't actually play in gold!

#9 Progman

Progman
  • Coach
  • 326 posts

Posted 14 April 2014 - 03:16 PM

Next you will be saying you wanted a brass band to welcome you. Wait a minute they did that didn't they

#10 MikeFletchersBarmyArmy

MikeFletchersBarmyArmy
  • Coach
  • 434 posts

Posted 14 April 2014 - 03:40 PM

Next you will be saying you wanted a brass band to welcome you. Wait a minute they did that didn't they

Yes they know how to make Yorkshire folk feel welcomed.

#11 pudsey hawk

pudsey hawk
  • Coach
  • 1,010 posts

Posted 14 April 2014 - 05:31 PM

They didnt seem to have many fans,certainly need to get more people in if they want to spread the game

#12 Styx

Styx
  • Players
  • 44 posts

Posted 14 April 2014 - 07:07 PM

Give us chance - only been going less than 18 months.  At the moment also competing with rugby union, which in Glos is bigger than football.  It is something we are working on, and a supporters club is in the process of being formed at the moment.  In terms of % game, the number of season tickets sold has risen 50% this year, in reality from about 10 to 15, but you got to start somewhere.  As I said to one of your fans at the game, the added problem we have is the name in my opinion.  The club is owned and run by the uni, but it is an open semi pro team, not full of students.  When you speak to people locally there is the opinion that it is a student team.  Also we do not have the 100 plus years of history in the area to help sell the sport.

Thanks for creating an atmosphere at the game, and hope you had good journey back up.  Looking forward to my trip up later in the season.  Thanks also for the words of encouragement and support for what we are trying to do down here that I had from many of you, it's appreciated.

University of Gloucestershire All Golds

#13 pudsey hawk

pudsey hawk
  • Coach
  • 1,010 posts

Posted 14 April 2014 - 09:14 PM

Yeah I understand that but what realistically long term chance have you of getting a decent following

#14 Styx

Styx
  • Players
  • 44 posts

Posted 15 April 2014 - 09:26 AM

We are hopeful, but we need a stronger pr presence in the local media too.  Gloucester rugby is the big thing here followed by Cheltenham Town.  Last year after the football and union season ended, we picked up few more casual supporters.  If we can get a winning team on the pitch it will help too, glory hunters are always welcome!  It will take time and will not happen overnight. The uni are in it for the long haul, and unlike some non league football clubs are not looking to be best in the land in two years or anything stupid.  My honest answer to your question would be, I don't know, but I am hopeful that over time we can build a half decent fan base. We need more people like me. Not blowing my own trumpet in saying that.  What I mean is apart from watching it on Grandstand as a kid, I have no rugby league background. I found out about the new team at start of last season, and decided to give it a go.  Now am helping out a bit behind the scenes, and helping get the supporters club off the ground. We need to get casual sports fan in the ground and get them hooked.

Sorry to have gone on a bit on your thread! Hopefully in ten years time Hunslet Hawks and the All Golds will both still be thriving and doing well on the pitch. Your support deserves a good team at a decent level.

Edited by Styx, 15 April 2014 - 09:28 AM.

University of Gloucestershire All Golds

#15 pudsey hawk

pudsey hawk
  • Coach
  • 1,010 posts

Posted 15 April 2014 - 11:39 AM

Good luck Styx hope you succeed 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users