Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Bradford Appeal..

• Please log in to reply
71 replies to this topic

#61 John Drake

John Drake
  • Admin
  • 7,627 posts

Posted 21 April 2014 - 09:43 AM

Couple of posts removed.

Please stay on topic and leave personal insults out of it.

Thank you.

John Drake
Site Admin: TotalRL.com
TotalRL.com
Email: john.drake@totalrl.com

#62 Vikingstorm

Vikingstorm
  • Coach
  • 2,934 posts

Posted 21 April 2014 - 10:18 AM

No other club has ever had a deduction of monies due to insolvency, so maybe you could supply a list?  - every other club has had a points deduction, if anything.

The 'logic' of taking money from clubs in financial difficulties still has me scratching my head.

Well if its a new company the debts of that company would surely not be held by the new one- So I disagree that money should be taken from the Bulls

However in the spirit of fair play,,,I guess a few clubs want their money back.

In effect Bradford did not exist, and the points deduction is fair,,,,Any challenges to that will receive a total back lash from people like me

[QUOTE]“THE enemy should be in no doubt that we are his Nemesis and that we are bringing about his rightful destruction. There are many regional commanders who have stains on their souls and they are stoking the fires of Hell for Saddam. As they die they will know their deeds have brought them to this place. Show them no pity. But those who do not wish to go on that journey, we will not send. As for the others, I expect you to rock their world.

#63 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 17,159 posts

Posted 21 April 2014 - 11:23 AM

Bradford fans should accept the deduction, as other clubs have done....they should go away and re-build in the lower division and allow better managed teams to take their place....then perhaps in two or three years they will be back, well managed and competent

So did Halifax "re-build" and get back in "two or three years" then? It's over 10 years and counting now.

Did Widnes "Re-build" in the Championship or HKR or Fartown or Cas "re-build"?? Or Did Messrs O'Connor, Davey, Hudgell and Fulton reach into their own pockets to get these clubs back into Superleague.

Nobody has "built" their way out of the Championship, those who have got out have all been gifted money to get out. How do you "build" a professional team, in a semi pro league? or how do you "build" a crowd offering second tier fare and semi pro wages? Building in the championship is a myth.

Have you also considered the difference between "managing" a club in a division where the turnover is under a £Million across the board, against "managing" a club where the turnover runs into millions often over £6M at the top clubs.

There's no comparison. Do you think swapping the Leigh management for the Bradford management just before the problems began would have seen Bradford thrive and Leigh in the third tier??

Top CC teams are "well managed" and bottom SL clubs are "badly managed" is another myth.

Bradford's relegation may see the top players leave and the crowds drop further. What a great plan that would be? Sorry for taking a strong opposite view but these myths are bandied about when there is absolutely no evidence for them.

#64 OMEGA

OMEGA
  • Coach
  • 1,258 posts

Posted 21 April 2014 - 11:32 AM

I'd argue that Wakefield built their way out of the NFP or Championship in 1998, they did it with a lot of home produced players and a home produced Coach and no sugar daddy so very little money

#65 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 17,159 posts

Posted 21 April 2014 - 11:55 AM

I'd argue that Wakefield built their way out of the NFP or Championship in 1998, they did it with a lot of home produced players and a home produced Coach and no sugar daddy so very little money

Wakefield came top of division 2 in 1998 in front of HKR, Fev and Dewsbury who also did not have a sugar daddy or much money, they got promoted on a two point grand final win.

They had "built" their 1,952 fanbase up to only 2,018 by having a good season at semi pro level. Three other clubs had better crowds. As we know Wakefield did OK first season in SL then spent five SL seasons in a row in the bottom four escaping relegation.

They were promoted not because they had built up much bigger crowds or put together a quality side, but because they were the best of a number of strugglers in the days when if you came top of a bad bunch you could get promotion.

Do you believe if Wakefield go down it will be a good thing? I don't think Mr. Carter thinks so, as if they go down because of any points deduction on Bradford being reinstated, he has threatened to resign rather than take the mythical opportunity to "re-build" and come back stronger than ever.

Edited by The Parksider, 21 April 2014 - 11:58 AM.

#66 John Drake

John Drake
  • Admin
  • 7,627 posts

Posted 21 April 2014 - 12:55 PM

Please stay on topic.

This thread is about Bradford's appeal against their points deduction.

The issue of whether or not a club can rebuild for Super League from relegation to the Championship is a separate subject. Start a new thread to discuss that if you wish. but do not continue it here.

Thank you.

John Drake
Site Admin: TotalRL.com
TotalRL.com
Email: john.drake@totalrl.com

#67 OMEGA

OMEGA
  • Coach
  • 1,258 posts

Posted 21 April 2014 - 06:46 PM

Wakefield came top of division 2 in 1998 in front of HKR, Fev and Dewsbury who also did not have a sugar daddy or much money, they got promoted on a two point grand final win.

They had "built" their 1,952 fanbase up to only 2,018 by having a good season at semi pro level. Three other clubs had better crowds. As we know Wakefield did OK first season in SL then spent five SL seasons in a row in the bottom four escaping relegation.

They were promoted not because they had built up much bigger crowds or put together a quality side, but because they were the best of a number of strugglers in the days when if you came top of a bad bunch you could get promotion.

Do you believe if Wakefield go down it will be a good thing? I don't think Mr. Carter thinks so, as if they go down because of any points deduction on Bradford being reinstated, he has threatened to resign rather than take the mythical opportunity to "re-build" and come back stronger than ever.

I think you do all of the clubs you just mentioned a huge injustice, most of the season you talk about was full of quality rugby and exciting games. Wakefield were promoted having finished League leaders and Grand a Final winners. The Division they won was the one immediately below the Super League, y'know just like the Championship is today.

I don't think it'll do any team any good whatsoever to get demoted, certainly not Wakefield or Bradford, the only possible club who might MIGHT come back and be better is London but that's based on them being Curlys dog at the moment. The strength of the amateur and community game in London might actually see them rise back up based on home grown players rather than a collection of overseas lads with no affinity to the area.

#68 Scubby

Scubby
  • Coach
  • 3,798 posts

Posted 21 April 2014 - 07:08 PM

Bradford and Wakefield must be thanking their lucky stars that they played Catalans when they were pants. Or they would be 2 and -4 and it would give London a great shout.

#69 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,071 posts

Posted 21 April 2014 - 08:11 PM

Bradford and Wakefield must be thanking their lucky stars that they played Catalans when they were pants. Or they would be 2 and -4 and it would give London a great shout.

Bulls play Catalan in the Cup for the first time this coming Sunday. We play them in the league 24th May. The internet was built for pedantry. ;)

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#70 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 19,982 posts

Posted 21 April 2014 - 08:24 PM

If an *independent* panel ruled that Bradford had been treated excessively harshly and gave them some points back, how does this entitle other clubs to complain about it?

If the appeal is unsuccessful and we go down, so be it. And if it is successful...ditto

It's pretty academic anyway because I can't see them escaping with or without the points

No I don't care if you're if you're into different bands

No cause for so much hatred, I'm just a different man

Pull off that cover, I will too, and learn to understand

With music deep inside we'll make world unity our plan

7 Seconds -Walk Together, Rock Together

#71 Scubby

Scubby
  • Coach
  • 3,798 posts

Posted 21 April 2014 - 08:29 PM

Bulls play Catalan in the Cup for the first time this coming Sunday. We play them in the league 24th May. The internet was built for pedantry. ;)

Sorry meant to say Bradford played London in the first few rounds and Wakefield played Catalans. My mistake.

I do think the Bulls have another 8-10 points in them. But will that be enough?

Edited by Scubby, 21 April 2014 - 08:30 PM.

#72 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,071 posts

Posted 21 April 2014 - 08:46 PM

Sorry meant to say Bradford played London in the first few rounds and Wakefield played Catalans. My mistake.

I do think the Bulls have another 8-10 points in them. But will that be enough?

We don't. It won't.

I should add a smiley but I don't have it in me!

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users