League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

NRL or Super League? Which has the best standard of play?

• Please log in to reply
75 replies to this topic

#1 DeeValleyDragons

DeeValleyDragons
  • Players
  • 3 posts

Posted 14 April 2014 - 12:45 PM

Just a general wonder what people think, is the nrl better or super league? Has Sam Tomkins' move shown which is more attractive? is State of Origin a factor? 

#2 Harrigan

Harrigan
  • Coach
  • 970 posts

Posted 14 April 2014 - 12:48 PM

Really?! :lol:

Is it even a question?

rhinosbulldogs_zps04cf7e0a.jpg

#3 DeeValleyDragons

DeeValleyDragons
  • Players
  • 3 posts

Posted 14 April 2014 - 12:50 PM

Some consider Super League to have more derbies and therefore more competitive

#4 Lesmets

Lesmets
  • Coach
  • 115 posts

Posted 14 April 2014 - 12:52 PM

It's not even a question , the NRL is the Worlds #1 comp ,with the NSW/QLD cups #2 and Super League just barely above the standard of the Holden Cup but that's only in Physicality not skill.

#5 Scubby

Scubby
  • Coach
  • 3,730 posts

Posted 14 April 2014 - 12:53 PM

I think 'standard' of play could be replaced by 'style' of play for this thread. The standard is not worth discussing but the styles are quite different. It could be argued that the UK has a more open fast flowing style to the NRL. Whether this is an ethos thing or just a measure of the strength of defences is another matter.

#6 DeeValleyDragons

DeeValleyDragons
  • Players
  • 3 posts

Posted 14 April 2014 - 12:55 PM

But how come players are switching from the NRL to Super League?

#7 7723

• Coach
  • 565 posts

Posted 14 April 2014 - 01:06 PM

It depends which team you are watching, the standard is different for them all. If it's NZ Warriors vs Cronulla or Wigan vs Saints, then Wigan vs Saints is a much higher standard.

#8 londonrlfan

londonrlfan
  • Coach
  • 842 posts

Posted 14 April 2014 - 01:25 PM

Couldn't care less about 'physicality' or 'intensity', I prefer to watch SL because is it more free flowing and the atmosphere is a million times better. 

#9 brooza

brooza
  • 4,302 posts

Posted 14 April 2014 - 02:06 PM

I like the SL style more than NRL

St Albans Centurions 1st Team Manager. Former Medway Dragons Wheelchair RL player.

Leeds Rhinos, St Albans Centurions y Griffons Madrid fan. Also follow (to a lesser extent) Catalans Dragons, London Broncos, South Sydney Rabbitohs, Jacksonville Axemen, Vrchlabi Mad Squirrels, KĂžbenhavn Black Swans, Red Star Belgrade and North Hertfordshire Crusaders.

Moderator of the International board

#10 Mushy

Mushy
  • Coach
  • 289 posts

Posted 14 April 2014 - 02:11 PM

It's not even a question , the NRL is the Worlds #1 comp ,with the NSW/QLD cups #2 and Super League just barely above the standard of the Holden Cup but that's only in Physicality not skill.

You're having a laugh surely about the NSW/QLD cup? Interesting that the World Cup showed how some UK Championship players were not bad either.

NRL is better quality than super league and can be more exciting/entertaining but not all the time. Wigan vs Saints over anything the NRL can provide any day of the week.

#11 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 17,148 posts

Posted 14 April 2014 - 03:09 PM

When English clubs were winning the World Club Challenge fairly regularly, it was possible to argue that even if the NRL was generally a higher standard, the top SL clubs were among the elite. These days the Aussies win the WCC and it is hard to pretend that the NRL isn't a higher standard.

#12 Paddsy

Paddsy
  • Players
  • 54 posts

Posted 14 April 2014 - 03:09 PM

The weather has a heap to do with how the games are played, the last round of NRL i watched, play'd in the wet didn't look that crash hot.

#13 Lounge Room Lizard

Lounge Room Lizard
  • Coach
  • 6,413 posts

Posted 14 April 2014 - 03:28 PM

Better standard is obviously the NRL. Its not so much the players are so much better than Sl, but its the fact that the NRL clubs have far better training facilities and state of the art enviroments that make players better. Maybe if SL clubs had spent the money of Melbourne, Brisbane, Souths, Bulldogs, Manly etc have on training facilities etc then the standard of SL would improve. Sadly SL is a comp that has to accept that 6 or 7 clubs are in a constant battle to survive and the rest are struggling to get anywhere near the worst NRL clubs spending 

#14 stevereed100

stevereed100
  • Coach
  • 560 posts

Posted 14 April 2014 - 03:35 PM

SL is far better entertainment. Too many NRL games lack real excitement....just watched warriors v bulldogs, far more entertainment in cats v widnes on Sat.

The ? was ambiguous. Yes NRL teams will always be favourites to beat our clubs but they are less watchable.

#15 Wiltshire Rhino

Wiltshire Rhino
  • Coach
  • 2,299 posts

Posted 14 April 2014 - 07:02 PM

I watch Rugby League! I can enjoy both, also amateur games and every level in between because I like Rugby League.

Edited by Wiltshire Rhino, 14 April 2014 - 07:04 PM.

2014 Challenged Cup Winner

#16 THE RED ROOSTER

THE RED ROOSTER
  • Coach
  • 2,262 posts

Posted 14 April 2014 - 07:33 PM

Close - NSW / QLD Cup teams are competitive with the lower half of super league (not just London Broncos) IMO having watched both

I would love it if a Queensland Cup XIII took on the cream of the Championship. Mind you at the current rate that might well be the "World Club Challenge" of the future.

But how come players are switching from the NRL to Super League?

Money and the chance to top up their retirement fund. No good player in their prime comes to Super League from the NRL unless there are "off field problems" which puts them off limit for other NRL sides.

Edited by THE RED ROOSTER, 14 April 2014 - 07:34 PM.

I am an oil trader and successful at that but, but marketing, finance, business management, human resources etc are not my strengths

David Hughes to Ian Lenagan Page 134 - A Pastel Revolution - Fletcher and Gordas - 2006

Being an outsider, it is easiest to see what is wrong with the sport. It's a fantastic sport that has been undersold and under-marketed  because people who run it probably want to keep it the way it is

Dr Marwan Koukash to Joanthan Lieu. Sunday Telegraph 9th March 2014

#17 MrPosh

MrPosh
  • Coach
  • 3,089 posts

Posted 14 April 2014 - 08:17 PM

The NRL is clearly a higher standard, but not by the amount that the average Aussie would have you believe.
People called Romans they go the house

#18 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 4,376 posts

Posted 14 April 2014 - 08:19 PM

Money and the chance to top up their retirement fund. No good player in their prime comes to Super League from the NRL unless there are "off field problems" which puts them off limit for other NRL sides.

Luke Walsh not considered a good player in the NRL then?  That's not what the pundits said when I watched every Penrith game last season.

As for the first of the OP's questions: having watched NRL and SL weekly for the last two seasons I think the competitions are the same overall standard except that the poorer clubs in Superleague are poorer than the poorer clubs in the NRL (although the poorer clubs in the NRL look demonstrably poorer than the good clubs in the Superleague and NRL).  What differs between the two comps is the style rather than the skill level.  The NRL is more structured whereas the SL is more open.  When SL style is played to a high standard I much prefer it.  I prefer it even when it isn't played to an especially high standard.  It is relatively rare to find an open style of NRL game.  Thankfully, these days, we are less likely to see an NRL style game in the Superleague than a couple of seasons back.

Edited by Saintslass, 14 April 2014 - 08:20 PM.

#19 Eldujo

Eldujo
  • Coach
  • 362 posts

Posted 14 April 2014 - 08:26 PM

NRL is the better standard without any doubt but some will say this professionalism leads to duller games. You're not likely to see a finish like Cas-Saints down under with the ball being tossed around from wing to wing, not that that you see anything like that often in SL either. Some might say that's down to SL teams being more entertaining whereas I'd lean towards NRL defences being a fair bit better so you wouldn't get away with it.

When all SL & NRL + Championship were on last year, I'd quite often enjoy the Championship game more than any of the other offerings so quality doesn't necessarily equal the best game. I'd still say I enjoy NRL the most though. I'd say this is down to it being more competitive than the other leagues with any team capable of beating anyone, particularly this year. There are still routs but they're not guaranteed, see Wigan-London or Leeds-Wakefield this week and compare to say Manly-Wests last week (2nd vs 2nd bottom last year) for NRL's unpredictability.

One of my pet hates from back when I had Sky and I presume they still do this. Whenever someone does something spectacular in a SL game, Eddie will start going on about how everybody would be raving about this play if it was an Aussie doing this. Not sure which people he was on about. I think we all know both leagues have hugely talented players capable of something special, it's just the NRL has more of them unfortunately.

#20 londonrlfan

londonrlfan
  • Coach
  • 842 posts

Posted 14 April 2014 - 08:29 PM

Of course if the NRL is truly lightyears ahead, that would explain the number of SL players going over there and standing out. Even players like Luke Burgess and Mike Cooper are regulars in the NRL, but weren't in SL. No doubt the NRL fanboys will claim that the NRL made James Graham, Gareth Ellis and Adrian Morley the players they are today. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users