Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

NRL or Super League? Which has the best standard of play?

• Please log in to reply
75 replies to this topic

#41 Blind side johnny

Blind side johnny
  • Coach
  • 9,440 posts

Posted 15 April 2014 - 09:49 AM

But how come players are switching from the NRL to Super League?

Because they aren't being offered contracts in NRL, maybe?

Believe what you see, don't see what you believe.

John Ray (1627 - 1705)

#42 Paddsy

Paddsy
  • Players
  • 55 posts

Posted 15 April 2014 - 12:18 PM

Just watched the raiders vs newcastle game. 

Wasn't too impressed. 

#43 Tonka

Tonka
  • Coach
  • 693 posts

Posted 15 April 2014 - 12:51 PM

Indeed. If I'm waiting to watch MotD on a Saturday I avoid going on the internet at all costs, nevermind would I go on a designated football forum.

Sorry if I ruined the result for you but my comment was on topic, as it being about current day NRL & SL, and was also relevant to your comment in which you mentioned you wouldn't get a finish like Cas v St Helens (where you also bring up a match from this weekend).

Totally off topic but I totally agree.

You can ban people from talking about something just because you happen not to have watched it yet! 

#44 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,727 posts

Posted 15 April 2014 - 02:06 PM

I must admit, I am finding that the NRL is lacking intensity in many of the games I am watching, and I often find myself turning off as I have no real emotional attachment.

I agree about the atmosphere at a lot of the NRL games can leave it all seeming a bit flat tbh. 

I sort of feel that televising every game is highlighting some pretty average Rugby League. Previously it would often be the best games being televised, but now the lesser games are not being hidden away, and tbh they are often far less exciting than games like Scotland v Italy or Tonga v Cook Islands in the RLWC, so tbh I think 'quality' is often over-rated.

#45 Eldujo

Eldujo
  • Coach
  • 368 posts

Posted 15 April 2014 - 02:08 PM

Totally off topic but I totally agree.

You can ban people from talking about something just because you happen not to have watched it yet! 

Just to cover myself on this, I asked if he wouldn't post spoilers, I didn't say ban doing this. Posters are free to do what they want.

#46 tuutaisrambo

tuutaisrambo
  • Coach
  • 221 posts

Posted 15 April 2014 - 02:25 PM

NRL is miles better........it's like comparing Australian A league soccer with the English Premier League.

TEAMROVERS_small.jpg

#47 thirteenthman

thirteenthman
  • Coach
  • 2,648 posts

Posted 15 April 2014 - 03:56 PM

I must admit, I am finding that the NRL is lacking intensity in many of the games I am watching, and I often find myself turning off as I have no real emotional attachment.

I agree about the atmosphere at a lot of the NRL games can leave it all seeming a bit flat tbh. 

I sort of feel that televising every game is highlighting some pretty average Rugby League. Previously it would often be the best games being televised, but now the lesser games are not being hidden away, and tbh they are often far less exciting than games like Scotland v Italy or Tonga v Cook Islands in the RLWC, so tbh I think 'quality' is often over-rated.

Some people on here have quoted specific matches as not being good quality. But its easy to pick out a bad match when you have all 8 games shown over the course of a weekend. Most of the games in SL never get shown, so its difficult to properly compare. The point on emotional attachment is an excellent one - I know plenty of people who struggle to show interest in anything outside the club they follow, never mind in a different competition.

There have been some really close games in the NRL so far this year, but I don't think there's been a really great game yet. Perhaps it's the rule changes to speed the game up that's having an affect.

Not sure I'd agree fully on the point about atmosphere. I've always felt this is over stated by many people. Don't get me wrong, a good atmosphere can obviously lift a game, but a good match is still a good match for me regardless of whether there's perceived to be a fantastic atmosphere. You mention Tonga v Cook Islands in the WC. I was at that game, and a fantastic game it was, but the atmosphere was exceptionally flat. But I think that brings us back to the point on emotional attachment. 

#48 Eldujo

Eldujo
  • Coach
  • 368 posts

Posted 15 April 2014 - 04:21 PM

I agree with what you say about Tonga v Cooks. I was there too and there were plenty of times where all you could hear was the islanders band playing away. As you say, nobody really had a dog in the fight so the crowd wasn't partisan either way. Big cheer for the poor lad playing the ball the wrong way around though. What I find is, if I watch NRL on my own, I often can lose interest but if I watch with someone else, I pay more interest as we're more likely to moan about the refs or how jammy one team is which fills the lulls in the action. 

Disagree with you on the lack of a classic though so far in NRL. I'd go with Broncos-Eels, Eagles-Storm, Wests-Eagles, Eels-Roosters, Broncos-Roosters, Broncos-Titans just off the top of my head. I'm probably just easily pleased though.

Huge grounds over in the NRL really don't help with the atmosphere. Not sure what it's like in the ground but it sure doesn't come across well on TV. I think we get the same over in the UK though, just not to same the degree. Imagine half of SL being played at Wembley, it'd be just the same more than likely. There's supposed to be big investment on building new grounds down under so maybe they'll fix this in the next few years.

What do you think of the new rule changes? Are they likely to be introduced over here next year as it appears they are there to stay in the NRL. Quite like the 7 tackle rule for the ball going dead myself.

#49 londonrlfan

londonrlfan
  • Coach
  • 842 posts

Posted 15 April 2014 - 05:20 PM

NRL is miles better........it's like comparing Australian A league soccer with the English Premier League.

Yes, that explains the large number of A League players that the Premier League clubs are signing

#50 thirteenthman

thirteenthman
  • Coach
  • 2,648 posts

Posted 15 April 2014 - 05:34 PM

I agree with what you say about Tonga v Cooks. I was there too and there were plenty of times where all you could hear was the islanders band playing away. As you say, nobody really had a dog in the fight so the crowd wasn't partisan either way. Big cheer for the poor lad playing the ball the wrong way around though. What I find is, if I watch NRL on my own, I often can lose interest but if I watch with someone else, I pay more interest as we're more likely to moan about the refs or how jammy one team is which fills the lulls in the action. 

Disagree with you on the lack of a classic though so far in NRL. I'd go with Broncos-Eels, Eagles-Storm, Wests-Eagles, Eels-Roosters, Broncos-Roosters, Broncos-Titans just off the top of my head. I'm probably just easily pleased though.

Huge grounds over in the NRL really don't help with the atmosphere. Not sure what it's like in the ground but it sure doesn't come across well on TV. I think we get the same over in the UK though, just not to same the degree. Imagine half of SL being played at Wembley, it'd be just the same more than likely. There's supposed to be big investment on building new grounds down under so maybe they'll fix this in the next few years.

What do you think of the new rule changes? Are they likely to be introduced over here next year as it appears they are there to stay in the NRL. Quite like the 7 tackle rule for the ball going dead myself.

There has been some really good games - plenty of close games - but I just don't think there's been any really high quality games yet. There aren't many like that over the course of the season anyway, but I just think that there's been a lot of games that have been unduly affected by mistakes, injuries, penalties and even the weather. 

I've been to a few NRL games, and I've never had a problem with the atmosphere. It's not the same kind of atmosphere you get in this country with the chanting and so on, but you still get a good atmosphere. Even the games I've seen at the ANZ were pretty good, especially the one where we were sat in with the Bulldogs fans. In fact the games I've been to with the worst atmosphere have probably been Internationals in this country (NZ v Aus at Warrington a couple of years back was one that springs to mind). 

I quite like the rule changes in most respects - the 7 tackle rule seems a good one. It'll be interesting to see how teams adapt to it. No doubt coaches are working on ways to work the changes to their advantage. The only problem I have with speeding the game up is the possibility of teams putting too much emphasis on runs from dummy half, although this doesn't appear to happening as yet.

No idea on whether the rules will be adopted worldwide. Whatever happens, we could do with getting back to having one set of rules - not 3 as we appear to have now. 

#51 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,727 posts

Posted 15 April 2014 - 05:51 PM

There has been some really good games - plenty of close games - but I just don't think there's been any really high quality games yet. There aren't many like that over the course of the season anyway, but I just think that there's been a lot of games that have been unduly affected by mistakes, injuries, penalties and even the weather.

I've been to a few NRL games, and I've never had a problem with the atmosphere. It's not the same kind of atmosphere you get in this country with the chanting and so on, but you still get a good atmosphere. Even the games I've seen at the ANZ were pretty good, especially the one where we were sat in with the Bulldogs fans. In fact the games I've been to with the worst atmosphere have probably been Internationals in this country (NZ v Aus at Warrington a couple of years back was one that springs to mind).

the problem there tho is that they are games at neutral venues. It is normal to get an exhibition feel at games with neutral crowds.

Ive only been to a couple of NRL games, but the atmosphere was flat as anything, although the Eels v Bulldogs game at anz wasnt helped by the massive stadium.

I find the atmosphere at some of the nrl games on tv comes across like the early magic weekend games.

#52 yipyee

yipyee
  • Coach
  • 1,203 posts

Posted 15 April 2014 - 07:45 PM

NRL is the better standard without any doubt but some will say this professionalism leads to duller games. You're not likely to see a finish like Cas-Saints down under with the ball being tossed around from wing to wing, not that that you see anything like that often in SL either. Some might say that's down to SL teams being more entertaining whereas I'd lean towards NRL defences being a fair bit better so you wouldn't get away with it.

When all SL & NRL + Championship were on last year, I'd quite often enjoy the Championship game more than any of the other offerings so quality doesn't necessarily equal the best game. I'd still say I enjoy NRL the most though. I'd say this is down to it being more competitive than the other leagues with any team capable of beating anyone, particularly this year. There are still routs but they're not guaranteed, see Wigan-London or Leeds-Wakefield this week and compare to say Manly-Wests last week (2nd vs 2nd bottom last year) for NRL's unpredictability.

One of my pet hates from back when I had Sky and I presume they still do this. Whenever someone does something spectacular in a SL game, Eddie will start going on about how everybody would be raving about this play if it was an Aussie doing this. Not sure which people he was on about. I think we all know both leagues have hugely talented players capable of something special, it's just the NRL has more of them unfortunately.

ha I like the way you pretend not to have sky, let me guess a 'mate' watches it and fills you in lol

#53 Eldujo

Eldujo
  • Coach
  • 368 posts

Posted 15 April 2014 - 10:15 PM

ha I like the way you pretend not to have sky, let me guess a 'mate' watches it and fills you in lol

I don't have sky, ditched it about 18 months ago for premier sports and a season ticket at salford. Why would I pretend to not have Sky?? Am I missing something here?

#54 back to the future

back to the future
  • Coach
  • 683 posts

Posted 15 April 2014 - 10:19 PM

The OP Question was Which has the best standard of play?Not who has the best atmosphere.

I'm English born and bred,never been to Aus in my life and have no wish to in the future,but i've been loving ALL the games on Premier,even the so called dour games.
Remember the televised Wakey v Bradford earlier this season or any London game good god poor in talent and excitement.
What i will say though is that the NRL competition are lucky to have such a strong and long pool of players of Fiji/Samoan/Tonga etc islands to their Comp.Take thse away and Maybe the quality/entertainment value of the NRL would be greatly reduced.

#55 The Big Gun

The Big Gun
  • Coach
  • 391 posts

Posted 15 April 2014 - 10:32 PM

The OP Question was Which has the best standard of play?Not who has the best atmosphere.

I'm English born and bred,never been to Aus in my life and have no wish to in the future,but i've been loving ALL the games on Premier,even the so called dour games.
Remember the televised Wakey v Bradford earlier this season or any London game good god poor in talent and excitement.
What i will say though is that the NRL competition are lucky to have such a strong and long pool of players of Fiji/Samoan/Tonga etc islands to their Comp.Take thse away and Maybe the quality/entertainment value of the NRL would be greatly reduced.

Most of those islanders were born in Oz or NZ, so I don't see why you'd single them out. The strength of the NRL is due to rugby league's popularity in Australia which gives it a big player pool, lots of money etc.

#56 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,727 posts

Posted 15 April 2014 - 10:54 PM

conversations develop. If we have to stick to threads so rigidly, perhaps this should just have been a poll with no comments allowed.

#57 CGD

CGD
  • Coach
  • 853 posts

Posted 16 April 2014 - 10:58 AM

Ive only been to a couple of NRL games, but the atmosphere was flat as anything, although the Eels v Bulldogs game at anz wasnt helped by the massive stadium.

You're not talking about the 2009 Prelim Final then. What an atmosphere that was, helped massively by the size of ANZ.

#58 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,727 posts

Posted 16 April 2014 - 11:21 AM

You're not talking about the 2009 Prelim Final then. What an atmosphere that was, helped massively by the size of ANZ.

No it was a regular league game. There was still around 30k there and the fans were making a fair bit of noise, it was very enjoyable in person, but unfortunately it was completely lost in the stadium and when I saw some of it back on tv it looked poor.

It was far more enjoyable than the next day when I went to Manly to be honest, but I do think the challenge around stadium sizes is a difficult one in Australia.

#59 londonrlfan

londonrlfan
  • Coach
  • 842 posts

Posted 16 April 2014 - 11:55 AM

Because it adds to the spectacle of when I'm watching the sport. The NRL may be more physical, but I find it more boring and prefer to watch SL, the style of play and the atmosphere/chanting being two of the main reasons. 

#60 CiderWire

CiderWire
  • Players
  • 77 posts

Posted 16 April 2014 - 01:10 PM

I haven't  watched any NRL games for years but recently decided to take the plunge into Premier Sports. I'm glad I did. Whilst watching so many NRL games highlights the fact that the Aussies are only human, and so, prone to the odd howler and 'unforced error', it also highlights the areas in which their game is so much superior to ours. This doesn't make our own Superleague any less of a spectacle though, just different! ............................................................................................and life without it would be unbearable.

PS. My missus prefers the NRL "Coz the blokes are hunkier". nuff said..................... :(

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users