Photo
- - - - -

NRL or Super League? Which has the best standard of play?

• Please log in to reply
75 replies to this topic

#61 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 21,897 posts

Posted 16 April 2014 - 06:21 PM

I like both.

Sorry...

But I do agree that there are too many NRL matches where the crowd rattles around in that huge stadium and not enough clubs making their home ground a feared fortress.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#62 Railway End

Railway End
  • Coach
  • 668 posts

Posted 16 April 2014 - 09:19 PM

I like both.

Sorry...

But I do agree that there are too many NRL matches where the crowd rattles around in that huge stadium and not enough clubs making their home ground a feared fortress.

Both ANZ and Allianz look awful on TV with banks of empty seats. I'd love to see more games at the old suburban grounds like Leichardt, Belmore, Redfearn etc.

Sadly I doubt this will return as clubs are more concerned with chasing the dollar. They prefer the guaranteed money (regardless of crowd size) received for playing the games in these stadiums.

This leads to the crazy situation whereby the Western Sydney derby this weekend between Parramatta and Wests will be played at ANZ with all the inconvenience that causes the fans, and the crowd will probably be less than the capacity of Parramatta stadium.

Back on topic, I enjoy both leagues but would probably edge towards the NRL. Both leagues provide brilliant games but the teams are far more evenly matched in the NRL. People say that SL has a more attacking ethos but I'd disagree with that. The difference is the Aussies put a big emphasis on defence as well.

"Rugby League is rugby in the simplest form in the sense that it's about great defence, great tackling technique, good handling, good passing, catching and great kicking."

Stuart Lancaster - England Rugby Union Head Coach - October 2013

#63 back to the future

back to the future
  • Coach
  • 854 posts

Posted 16 April 2014 - 09:25 PM

Sadly I doubt this will return as clubs are more concerned with chasing the dollar. They prefer the guaranteed money (regardless of crowd size) received for playing the games in these stadiums.

Can you explain this please.
Who pays?

#64 shaun mc

shaun mc
  • Coach
  • 1,888 posts

Posted 16 April 2014 - 10:01 PM

Both ANZ and Allianz look awful on TV with banks of empty seats. I'd love to see more games at the old suburban grounds like Leichardt, Belmore, Redfearn etc.

This leads to the crazy situation whereby the Western Sydney derby this weekend between Parramatta and Wests will be played at ANZ with all the inconvenience that causes the fans, and the crowd will probably be less than the capacity of Parramatta stadium.

Back on topic, I enjoy both leagues but would probably edge towards the NRL. Both leagues provide brilliant games but the teams are far more evenly matched in the NRL. People say that SL has a more attacking ethos but I'd disagree with that. The difference is the Aussies put a big emphasis on defence as well.

Agree with this
Having just returned from Australia, the eperience of a game at a traditional ground was way better then a game at the Olympic stadium
Went to Wests v souths first of all - 20k in an 80k stadium gave little atmosphere. Chose that game in order to see how the Burgesses were going - not too well in that one. Wests had lots of banners about makng it a fortress, but how can they when they play at 2 other grounds in the year as home games, and then 2 weeks later Souths were at home at the Olympic stadium.
It all felt a bit sterile and forced. However, cheap tickets.

2 days later went to Manly v Parramatta at Brookvale. Even though the attendance was only 2/3rds of the previous game, the atmosphere and experience was great. More expensive but more than worth it.

Why do the clubs have to play at Olympic and Allianz stadium when there is no chance of filling it (and have to reduce ticket prices) instead of Leichardt, Wollongong, etc all the time?

#65 thirteenthman

thirteenthman
  • Coach
  • 2,686 posts

Posted 17 April 2014 - 06:30 AM

Can you explain this please.
Who pays?

The owners of ANZ Stadium pay clubs to play matches there. This article from 2005 when the Bunnies shifted to the ANZ explains how the got a guaranteed $70,000 per game just for turning up:-

http://www.smh.com.a...9180167664.html

#66 thirteenthman

thirteenthman
  • Coach
  • 2,686 posts

Posted 17 April 2014 - 06:44 AM

I remember reading an article about Lee Briers' visit to Sydney earlier this year where he trotted out the old line about the NRL being all about completions, five drives and a kick, whereas in SL the ball gets thrown about a lot more. It's become a bit of a cliche really, and doesn't really reflect reality, As you say, there's more of an emphasis on defence in the NRL, but it doesn't mean its simply 'five drives and a kick'. Both competitions have their good points and bad points. 

#67 Hornetto

Hornetto
  • Coach
  • 3,161 posts

Posted 17 April 2014 - 09:31 AM

Having watched an awful lot of NRL up close this last couple of weeks, its general intensity, speed and and baseline skill level come across as greater than Super League. The lack of atmosphere isn't helped by playing games in vastly over-sized arenas. Was at the SCG for a humdinger between Souths and the Dragons and, at 20 thousand+, was the biggest crowd I was in during my time there - but the ground was half full and the fans were a very long way from the action (we were sat on half-way on the back row of the bottom tier and struggled to see the far side of the pitch).

If you want 'atmosphere' at the big stadia, you have to get a ticket in the Burrow, the Kennel or the Chook Pen.

Conversely, I was at Leichhardt to watch Wests Tigers batter Manly in the rain and the place was bouncing with 16,000 on. In terms of emphasis on defence, I was at Easts two weeks running (0-8 v Manly and 8-9 v Bulldogs) and both contests were compelling.

My view is that NRL only looks like 'five drives and a big kick' because of the regularity with which they actually get to the kick.

On a footnote, the new laws in the NRL ('7th tackle' from kicks gone dead/taps from 40/20s) have speeded the game up noticeably I think.

Edited by Hornetto, 17 April 2014 - 09:33 AM.

Posted Image
These Lads Can Run for 80 Minutes - the infamous Hornets fanzine is back from the dead: and just as biased as ever!
Match reports, previews and other stuff that comes into our heads at
http://theseladscanr...ns.blogspot.com

#68 Hornetto

Hornetto
  • Coach
  • 3,161 posts

Posted 17 April 2014 - 09:36 AM

Why do the clubs have to play at Olympic and Allianz stadium when there is no chance of filling it (and have to reduce ticket prices) instead of Leichardt, Wollongong, etc all the time?

I was told by an ANZ Stadium member that the ANZ stadium pays each club  $1m dollars to play their games there (£550,000). The incentive is so attractive to clubs that even Parra are taking a couple of games there this time! But - as you say - give me Leichhardt or Brooky bursting at the seams any day.

Posted Image
These Lads Can Run for 80 Minutes - the infamous Hornets fanzine is back from the dead: and just as biased as ever!

#69 Eldujo

Eldujo
  • Coach
  • 424 posts

Posted 17 April 2014 - 09:59 AM

In terms of emphasis on defence, I was at Easts two weeks running (0-8 v Manly and 8-9 v Bulldogs) and both contests were compelling.

Yet it sounds like you didn't enjoy the defensive grit of Whitehaven after reading your last blog post  ;)

Good luck over the border tomorrow, could be on the verge of the top 9 with a win at NWC.

#70 Godzilla

Godzilla
  • Players
  • 56 posts

Posted 17 April 2014 - 10:42 AM

I was told by an ANZ Stadium member that the ANZ stadium pays each club  $1m dollars to play their games there (£550,000). The incentive is so attractive to clubs that even Parra are taking a couple of games there this time! But - as you say - give me Leichhardt or Brooky bursting at the seams any day.

Hmmm, I may have found Oldham a new ground :)

#71 dkw

dkw
  • Workington
  • 4,883 posts

Posted 17 April 2014 - 10:51 AM

PS. My missus prefers the NRL "Coz the blokes are hunkier". nuff said..................... :(

Yeah, the "wife".......

;)

#72 CGD

CGD
  • Coach
  • 1,080 posts

Posted 17 April 2014 - 01:06 PM

This isn't really crazy. Homebush is Western Sydney, and actually geographically about halfway between Parramatta and Balmain/Ashfield. Both teams have a huge number of fans spread throughout all of Western Sydney. It's not really the great inconvenience you make out. All public transport to the game that day will be free due to the Easter Show. There'll be many fans who'd rather make their way to Homebush than Leichhardt.

I agree with your overall point that it's a shame to see huge stadiums mostly empty, but you probably picked a bad example to make that point. There should be a pretty good crowd there on Monday.

EDIT: Ticket sales indicate this game should pass 40k fairly easily. If no rain, this could be very big.

Edited by CGD, 17 April 2014 - 01:11 PM.

#73 Hornetto

Hornetto
  • Coach
  • 3,161 posts

Posted 17 April 2014 - 04:23 PM

Hmmm, I may have found Oldham a new ground :)

Change at Lidcombe...

Posted Image

#74 Hornetto

Hornetto
  • Coach
  • 3,161 posts

Posted 17 April 2014 - 04:25 PM

Yet it sounds like you didn't enjoy the defensive grit of Whitehaven after reading your last blog post  ;)

Good luck over the border tomorrow, could be on the verge of the top 9 with a win at NWC.

It wasn't so much their defensive grit, rather their slow-motion cluelessness that drove me nuts ha ha.

Cheers for the good wishes - should be a close one tomorrow: game on!

Posted Image

#75 CGD

CGD
  • Coach
  • 1,080 posts

Posted 21 April 2014 - 08:13 AM

EDIT: Ticket sales indicate this game should pass 40k fairly easily. If no rain, this could be very big.

50,688. Just a tad more than Parra's capacity B)

#76 ChrisGS

ChrisGS
  • Coach
  • 359 posts

Posted 22 April 2014 - 12:59 AM

NRL is clearly superior, as most of you concede without realising it.

All this talk about NRL being more "structured" effectively translates to being superior. If SL lacks structure then that is an argument against the competition. Tomkins said it himself the other day, there are no teams in NRL with ###### defence, everyone has structure and holds their line, hence why he's struggled to make the same impression he did in SL - paraphrasing him.

James Graham has said the same thing. Sam Burgess has said the same thing. Most English players who've been asked say the same thing. Intensity, structure, professionalism, no easy games, etc. Are they all just sucking up to the Aussies? Nah. NRL is years ahead of SL, simple as that. It's like comparing the Premiership with the Championship in football. Argue all you want about which is more entertaining but there's no question which comp is a class above.

This notion that the NRL signing SL players somehow undoes the point is a strange one. Does anybody doubt that the NBA is the best basketball competition in the world because there's a few Europeans running about in it?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users