Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Hull v Hull KR @Magic Weekend - Clash

• Please log in to reply
182 replies to this topic

#1 Scubby

Scubby
  • Coach
  • 3,597 posts

Posted 14 April 2014 - 01:33 PM

I see that the Hull v Hull KR game at the magic weekend kicks off at the same time that Hull City play Arsenal in the FA Cup final at Wembley. You would think common sense could prevail here and a slight adjustment of the fixtures could be had. If not it could, understandably, be a poor showing from both sets of fans. 

Everyone is not necessarily a football fan but when a one-city club gets to its first FA Cup final in over 100 years then it will be of curious interest to a large majority of Hull folk.

#2 brooza

brooza
  • 4,238 posts

Posted 14 April 2014 - 02:05 PM

How slight an adjustment are you suggesting? And what of the impact for fans of other clubs?

St Albans Centurions 1st Team Manager. Former Medway Dragons Wheelchair RL player.

Leeds Rhinos, St Albans Centurions y Griffons Madrid fan. Also follow (to a lesser extent) Catalans Dragons, London Broncos, South Sydney Rabbitohs, Jacksonville Axemen, Vrchlabi Mad Squirrels, KĂžbenhavn Black Swans, Red Star Belgrade and North Hertfordshire Crusaders.

Moderator of the International board

#3 londonrlfan

londonrlfan
  • Coach
  • 803 posts

Posted 14 April 2014 - 02:08 PM

It was a bit silly to have MW on the same day as the FA Cup Final, one of the biggest sporting events on the calendar, meaning there won't be any coverage in the newspapers or TV. Should have kept it on a Bank Holiday weekend.  

#4 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 20,967 posts

Posted 14 April 2014 - 02:13 PM

It was a bit silly to have MW on the same day as the FA Cup Final, one of the biggest sporting events on the calendar, meaning there won't be any coverage in the newspapers or TV. Should have kept it on a Bank Holiday weekend.  

Bank Holiday weekend was unavailable, there's a gig at the stadium.

Although I don't know about the weekend before, the 24th/25th.

2826856.jpg?type=articleLandscape

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#5 roughyed8

roughyed8
  • Coach
  • 130 posts

Posted 14 April 2014 - 02:36 PM

Bank Holiday weekend was unavailable, there's a gig at the stadium.

Although I don't know about the weekend before, the 24th/25th.

24th/25th is the bank holiday weekend!

#6 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 20,967 posts

Posted 14 April 2014 - 03:24 PM

24th/25th is the bank holiday weekend!

I was on about the Irish bank holiday...

:unsure:

*runs away*

2826856.jpg?type=articleLandscape

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#7 Scubby

Scubby
  • Coach
  • 3,597 posts

Posted 14 April 2014 - 03:38 PM

How slight an adjustment are you suggesting? And what of the impact for fans of other clubs?

I would suggest switching Widnes and Salford (2.45pm) with Hull and Hull KR (5pm). Not so much of an impact on Salford and Widnes fans as they are much closer to Manchester.

#8 stevereed100

stevereed100
  • Coach
  • 555 posts

Posted 14 April 2014 - 03:41 PM

Play hull v rovers first or last please.

You are absolutely right many Hull and Rovers fans follow the Tigers, and it is once in 100 years.

I for one would love to watch both games "live".

No chance of common sense being applied.

#9 stevereed100

stevereed100
  • Coach
  • 555 posts

Posted 14 April 2014 - 03:55 PM

The RFL have already announced no changes to be made. Their explanation includes the fact that Catalans are flying in on Sat morning for the 12.30 game.....that seems like they would welcome a later kick off....god help us if their flight is delayed!

The argument that fans have made travel arrangements that might be difficult to change hardly applies to widnes v salford.

But the RFL have ruled ....30 odd days in advance of game day, no common sense being applied....what do we expect we are only fans after all.

What impact will it have on Sky viewing figures, surely Catalans v Broncos would have been a better game to show against the FA Cup Final......and that could have been decided by the Big Boys at the RFL last November.

#10 Southstander13

Southstander13
  • Coach
  • 1,249 posts

Posted 14 April 2014 - 04:16 PM

Yes it may affect attendance figures, but quite frankly, the idea of swapping and changing fixtures at this late stage is ridiculous.

If anyone is desperate to see the FA Cup final then they will likely be going, which means an earlier or later kick off makes no difference to the attendance at the ground. The TV figures for one game of the weekend is not going to really bother anyone surely!

#11 terrywebbisgod

terrywebbisgod
  • Coach
  • 8,047 posts

Posted 14 April 2014 - 04:20 PM

To be fair,who would have thought Hull city would get to the fa cup final.Surprised the RFL haven't moved the Hull magic weekend game to the Thursday before the fa cup final.

Founder of the convent pontoon team.

#12 westhuller

westhuller
  • Coach
  • 3,029 posts

Posted 14 April 2014 - 04:30 PM

I agree with Steve

#13 stevereed100

stevereed100
  • Coach
  • 555 posts

Posted 14 April 2014 - 04:33 PM

Thats not a bad idea.....Hull like Thursdays and it will give them an advantage the following week.

The FA might be letting the FA Cup slip but the RFL should have realised the possibilities in Jan when choosing to go head to head with the Wembley game.

After all Leeds, Wigan,Hull,Huddersfield? Bradford...Liverpool were still in it to win it at that time.....there were plenty of other options for the direct clash at 5pm.

Its not a question of being desperate it is a question of being able to enjoy both games....live.

Typical disrespect for Hull folk!

#14 Old Frightful

Old Frightful
  • Coach
  • 12,647 posts

Posted 14 April 2014 - 05:07 PM

Typical RFL incompetence.

(Sits back and waits for a nibble from Griff.... B) )

NO BUTS IT'S GOT TO BE BUTTER......                                 Z1N2MybzplQR6XBrwB9egniMH8xqYQ5s.jpg                                                                                                                     

#15 stevereed100

stevereed100
  • Coach
  • 555 posts

Posted 14 April 2014 - 05:21 PM

Tell that to Griff!

Perhaps he is Steve Ganson......would explain a lot. On that subject please keep Ganson away from the Magic Weekend .....

#16 Rascal Bongo Stork

Rascal Bongo Stork
  • Coach
  • 438 posts

Posted 14 April 2014 - 05:44 PM

bit of a nightmare for the RFL this. Bet they were screaming on Sheff U yesterday. Why on earth is the Cup Final at 5pm? I must admit I dont pay as much attention as I used to but shouldn't it be 3?

#17 yipyee

yipyee
  • Coach
  • 1,060 posts

Posted 14 April 2014 - 05:53 PM

bit of a nightmare for the RFL this. Bet they were screaming on Sheff U yesterday. Why on earth is the Cup Final at 5pm? I must admit I dont pay as much attention as I used to but shouldn't it be 3?

good shout, the FA could change KO to 12.15, its not as if the arsenal fans will have to change travel arrangements. ....

good job wigan never made it the FA would have to reschedule for another weekend as Wembley would be even emptier without all the RL fans swelling the numbers!

#18 stevereed100

stevereed100
  • Coach
  • 555 posts

Posted 14 April 2014 - 06:01 PM

No, the RFL made sure there was no clash with Wigan. Wonder why that was?

#19 terrywebbisgod

terrywebbisgod
  • Coach
  • 8,047 posts

Posted 14 April 2014 - 06:15 PM

Could it be that the RFL favour Leeds,Wigan and Saints?

Founder of the convent pontoon team.

#20 bobbruce

bobbruce
  • Coach
  • 5,974 posts

Posted 14 April 2014 - 06:31 PM

The RFL should really be looking at inventing an eighth day that only RL clubs can play on.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users