Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

A view from the South Stand - By Ossy

• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

#1 Official Rams Updates

Official Rams Updates
  • Coach
  • 255 posts

Posted 14 April 2014 - 07:33 PM

The last thread went a little off track. But here is a View from the South Stand by Ossy - Does he connect with how you feel as a supporter?

SWINTON LIONS 37  DEWSBURY RAMS 31.

I know it’s still early doors, but it’s clearly going to be quite a season, and I can’t help wondering how much we might come to regret the points we lost at the Leigh Sports Village today. As a game it was fine; for the neutrals that is; only there weren’t too many of them in what proved to be a disappointing crowd yesterday.

Right from the kick off the Lions were throwing the ball around, though it was Dewsbury who opened the scoring with a try from Shane Grady out on the right. It was a good start, but unfortunately Dale Morton’s knock on at the restart gave the Lions the chance to hit back straight away which they did with Danny Halliwell going over for their first try. Gareth O’Brien added the conversion to edge them into a short lived lead.

This was proving to be an end to end game. Pressure from the Rams forced Swinton to kick out from under their posts and Wayne Godwin went over on the left. Tom Hemingway’s conversion edged them into the lead at 6 – 10 and five minutes later Shane Grady extended that lead, going over for his second try wide on the right. Hemingway’s excellent conversion extended the lead still further and I began to relax. Of course I should have known better because the Lions hit back right away with their own try, James Brown going over to the left of the posts and 0’Brien’s conversion narrowing the gap to 12 – 16.

There then followed a questionable decision from the referee when Rams second row Scott Hale appeared to race over and score by the posts only for Mr. Sweet to rule that Lion Richie Hawkyard had got his hand under the ball at the last. It was probably a game changing decision. The result was a twenty metre drop out and right away Swinton were back on the attack, Kevin Penney crossing for the try and O’Brien adding the conversion to edge them back into the lead at 18 – 16 as the half time whistle sounded.

It was still an end to end game, and Rams were back in front early in the second half with a try from Tom Hemingway who also added the conversion. Once again the lead was short lived though, O’Brien chasing down Brown’s kick to score the try before adding the conversion.

We were behind again and the play from both sides was getting a little desperate, though Tommy Gallagher’s try converted by Hemingway edged the Rams back in front at 24 – 28 with some twenty minutes left on the clock. Some of the tackling was a bit questionable around this period, both Tommy Gallagher and Stephen Nash being forced to leave the field, while Wayne Grady also had to receive treatment.

Swinton were lasting the pace better though, and hooker Andy Ackers went over under the posts and O’Brien edged them back into a two point lead with the conversion that followed. Even now the Rams hit back, a 68th minute penalty from Hemingway levelling the scores at 31 apiece.

And so it went on, Kieran Hyde’s drop goal edged the Rams in front with some eight minutes left, only for O’Brien to level matters again a short while later. By this time the crowd had pretty much chewed their fingernails to the bone and the game could still have gone either way. Unfortunately, (for the Rams that is), it went to the Lions with ex Ram Luke Menzies, (a prop I might add), bursting through and outpacing the Dewsbury defence to score the decisive try. With O’Brien adding the conversion the game was almost over, though the restart was collected by Lions hooker Ackers who raced down the touchline before being hauled down by Greg Scott as the final hooter sounded.

Final score :-  Swinton Lions 37  Dewsbury Rams 31.

To be honest I was disappointed. We seemed to lack spirit at times and played with a naivete which doesn’t bode well for the tough games we have to come over the next few weeks. The injury situation doesn’t look good either with Aaron Brown getting around on crutches and several others not faring too well.

Ah well, it’s The Bulldogs next, all we can do is hope that it really is a ‘Good’ Friday for Dewsbury Rams

Teams :-  Swinton :- Richie Hawkyard; Kevin Penney; Jacque Peet; Danny Helliwell; Ben Warrilow; Gareth O’Brien; Ian Watson; Mike Morrison; Andy Ackers; Luke Menzies; Kash Watkins; Darren Hawkyard; James Brown.  Subs :-  Lewis Hulme; Zach Johnson; Glenn Riley; Josh Barlow.

Dewsbury :- Kieran Hyde; Dale Morton; Karl Pryce; Shane Grady; Greg Scott; Tom Hemingway; Anthony Thackeray; Makali Aizue; Wayne Godwin; Ewan Dowes; Ryan Hepworth; Scott Hale; Rob Spicer.  Subs :- Tommy Gallagher; Ryan Wright; Stephen Nash; Matthew Haggerty.

Attendance  :-  412

Referee  :- Andy Sweet. 

Edited by Official Rams Updates, 14 April 2014 - 07:33 PM.

Follow us on twitter @DewsburyRams

Facebook: https://www.facebook...buryrams?ref=hl

Our website: http://www.dewsburyrams.co.uk/

Email: info@dewsburyrams.co.uk

#2 mark richardson

mark richardson
  • Coach
  • 2,980 posts

Posted 14 April 2014 - 07:41 PM

Slightly one eyed . I don't think any injuries were due to foul play but keep up the good workt.
It was Penny who chased down Hale...and the pull back on Kain was a Suarez style dive...watch the highlights!

#3 Tom Coates

Tom Coates
  • 1,014 posts

Posted 14 April 2014 - 07:50 PM

Kain?

#4 mark richardson

mark richardson
  • Coach
  • 2,980 posts

Posted 15 April 2014 - 05:39 AM

Thacks!

#5 Tom Coates

Tom Coates
  • 1,014 posts

Posted 15 April 2014 - 07:19 AM

Yeah, I think he probably did milk it a bit, but Hawkyard did grab his shoulder. Which is enough. Not that I'm biased.......!

#6 mark richardson

mark richardson
  • Coach
  • 2,980 posts

Posted 15 April 2014 - 07:36 AM

Ive always got andy kain and thackeray mixed up-one of those mental blocks...he did lightly brush him...I'll have it

Hale looks a different player for you. He was hopeless
for us

#7 Tom Coates

Tom Coates
  • 1,014 posts

Posted 15 April 2014 - 08:15 AM

Yeah, Hale's been great this season, particularly in defence. Disappointingly, he didn't appreciate the speed of Kevin Penny when he had a clear run to the try-line!! One of the best tackles I've ever seen! Up there with Wayne English's effort against Sheffield in the NL2 play-off final in 2006. Do you remember that?

#8 EQUALIZER

EQUALIZER
  • Coach
  • 1,540 posts

Posted 15 April 2014 - 11:54 AM

To be fair had we taken the 2 to go six up.T. g wouldnt have been injured and they wouldnt have come back and scored.

#9 mark richardson

mark richardson
  • Coach
  • 2,980 posts

Posted 15 April 2014 - 05:11 PM

Yeah, Hale's been great this season, particularly in defence. Disappointingly, he didn't appreciate the speed of Kevin Penny when he had a clear run to the try-line!! One of the best tackles I've ever seen! Up there with Wayne English's effort against Sheffield in the NL2 play-off final in 2006. Do you remember that?

oh yes a rubbish day out otherwise
we've been blessed with great fullbacks even when we've been rubbish....which is most of the years I've been going

Do you lot still say "laking"for playing?

#10 il cattivo

il cattivo
  • Coach
  • 562 posts

Posted 15 April 2014 - 06:34 PM

Do you lot still say "laking"for playing?

laiking.

it comes from the old Norse (as do most of the yorkshire slang words) meaning 'playing' or 'not working'.

a left over from when the Vikings and Danes invaded and settled in the Yorkshire area.

"you never win a game unless you beat the guy in front of you. The score on the board doesn’t mean a thing. That’s for the fans. You’ve got to win the war with the man in front of you. You’ve got to get your man." - Vince Lombardi.

#11 mark richardson

mark richardson
  • Coach
  • 2,980 posts

Posted 15 April 2014 - 10:41 PM

That's mental! Ha ha.
cheers mate...very interesting explanation.

#12 Tom Coates

Tom Coates
  • 1,014 posts

Posted 15 April 2014 - 10:54 PM

In my days as a youth of hanging Heaton, it had become: "lecking".

Ya lecking?

#13 guest from down under

guest from down under
  • 2,414 posts

Posted 16 April 2014 - 09:52 AM

I thought you still were a youth , well compared to some of us old gimmers you are .

Turning 58 on friday and i was long odds on not to get past 50.

Edited by guest from down under, 16 April 2014 - 09:53 AM.

#14 Blue Monkey

Blue Monkey
  • Coach
  • 1,720 posts

Posted 17 April 2014 - 07:45 PM

I'm a big fan of your ground, a nice medium sized stadium just right for the game in general.

However, I'm just a bit curious. According to Wikipedia the capacity is approximately 3,500.

But within the last few months new terracing has been put in place behind the goals at the scoreboard end which surely adds quite a bit to the limit.

Watching the match highlights for the Wigan cup match (attendance 3.054) you could clearly see there was easily room for many more. Maybe it's about 5,000 now. What do you think?

#15 Ramite

Ramite
  • Coach
  • 866 posts

Posted 18 April 2014 - 07:48 AM

The capacity has stopped as it was before. I think it's because there is no roof on the new stand and no way of stopping people in bad weather moving to the south stand. I also believe partly because it doesn't have turnstiles , toilets etc.
Homer: How is education supposed to make me feel smarter? Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain. Remember when I took that home winemaking course, and I forgot how to drive?

[

i]Mr. Burns: Woah, slow down there maestro. There's a *New* Mexico?[/i]

#16 Official Rams Updates

Official Rams Updates
  • Coach
  • 255 posts

Posted 19 April 2014 - 04:57 PM

Dewsbury Rams  43  Batley Bulldogs 10:

Written By Ossy

If I’m being honest I wasn’t really expecting yesterday’s performance – from either team. For several years now the Bulldogs have had the upper hand in our local derbies and, after The Rams lacklustre performance against Swinton last week, I was fearing the worst. Thankfully I was wrong… and how!

Batley might have kicked off, but it was The Rams who struck first, the final play of the first set being a high, cross field kick from Tom Hemingway which was gathered in and touched down by centre Shane Grady wide on the left. These early moments were end to end, but The Bulldogs took full advantage of back to back penalties awarded by Mr. Thomason, second row John Davies going over for their first try some eight minutes later. Both conversions were missed, though Hemingway soon made amends for his miss, slotting over a penalty a couple of minutes later to edge them back in front at 6 - 4.

It was a pretty even game at this point, and though Batley were making more mistakes than I’d expected, I wasn’t expecting it to last and it didn’t, though it was a further ten minutes before the scorers were troubled again. For a few seconds it looked as though Dewsbury were going to extend their lead, but the final pass went astray and The Bulldogs winger Alex Brown outpaced the defence to race the length of the South Stand to score. With Lee Patterson adding the conversion we were 10 – 6 in arrears, though the situation didn’t last for long… five minutes at the most.

That’s how long it took Dewsbury to hit back, Greg Scott going over for their second try and Hemingway adding the conversion to edge them into a lead they were never to lose. A few minutes later it was Shane Grady who made the next telling break, handing on for Wayne Godwin to touch down by the posts. Hemingway duly slotted over the conversion as he did when Tommy Gallagher added to The Rams total with a further try some three minutes later.

Even now Dewsbury weren’t done, Kieran Hyde dropping a goal as the half came to an end.

Half time  :-  Rams 25  Bulldogs 10.

A lead of fifteen points at the halfway mark should probably have left me feeling more positive than it did but, over the years I’ve been following this game of ours, I’ve learned to take nothing for granted. Batley might have taken a bit of a thumping in the latter stages of the first half and, as a result, they were always going to come out fighting for the points in the second.

Unlike last week however Dewsbury’s defence remained solid. An early penalty from Hemingway edged them further in front before Scotty’s second try around the fifty minute mark suggested that there was to be no ‘second half nerves’ this week. Batley might still have been making too many mistakes, but The Rams were moving the ball around nicely, stretching The Bulldogs defence to the limit… and beyond.

Karl Pryce added to their try tally around the seventy minute mark, and with five minutes left on the clock, prop Ryan Hepworth sealed an impressive performance, going over for their seventh try. Tom Hemingway converted both, stretching the lead to 43 – 10 and, though The Rams came back yet again they couldn’t add to their tally.

The South Stand was at full voice by this time, and both Glenn Morrison and his squad responded by coming over to express their appreciation. Cougars away on May 4, so come along if you can and support your team; they certainly deserve it after yesterday’s performance.   

Rams :- Kieran Hyde; Dale Morton; Karl Pryce; Shane Grady; Greg Scott; Tom Hemingway; Anthony Thackeray; Ryan Hepworth; Wayne Godwin; Ewan Dowes; Rob Spicer; Scott Hale, Josh Tonks.  Subs :-  Stephen Nash; Tommy Gallagher; Matthew Haggerty; Jordan Grayston.

Bulldogs :-  Miles Greenwood; Vinny Finnigan; Lee Patterson; Josh Griffin; Alex Brown; Simon Brown; Scott Leatherbarrow; Byron Smith; Luke Blake; Adam Gledhill; John Davies; Sam Scott; Kyle Trout.  Subs  :-  Chris Rowe; Alister Leek; Brad Brennan; Joe Chandler.

Attendance :-  1,999 

Referee :-  M. Thomason

Edited by Official Rams Updates, 19 April 2014 - 06:27 PM.

#17 DEWSBURY TIL I DIE

DEWSBURY TIL I DIE
  • Coach
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 19 April 2014 - 05:32 PM

I'm a big fan of your ground, a nice medium sized stadium just right for the game in general.
However, I'm just a bit curious. According to Wikipedia the capacity is approximately 3,500.
But within the last few months new terracing has been put in place behind the goals at the scoreboard end which surely adds quite a bit to the limit.
Watching the match highlights for the Wigan cup match (attendance 3.054) you could clearly see there was easily room for many more. Maybe it's about 5,000 now. What do you think?

5,100 is capacity now mate

#18 Blind side johnny

Blind side johnny
  • Coach
  • 9,469 posts

Posted 19 April 2014 - 06:03 PM

Dewsbury Rams  43  Batley Bulldogs 10:

Written By Ossy

If I’m being honest I wasn’t really expecting yesterday’s performance – from either team. For several years now the Bulldogs have had the upper hand in our local derbies and, after The Rams lacklustre performance against Swinton last week, I was fearing the worst. Thankfully I was wrong… and how!

Batley might have kicked off, but it was The Rams who struck first, the final play of the first set being a high, cross field kick from Tom Hemingway which was gathered in and touched down by centre Shane Grady wide on the left. These early moments were end to end, but The Bulldogs took full advantage of back to back penalties awarded by Mr. Thomason, second row John Davies going over for their first try some eight minutes later. Both conversions were missed, though Hemingway soon made amends for his miss, slotting over a penalty a couple of minutes later to edge them back in front at 6 - 4.

It was a pretty even game at this point, and though Batley were making more mistakes than I’d expected, I wasn’t expecting it to last and it didn’t, though it was a further ten minutes before the scorers were troubled again. For a few seconds it looked as though Dewsbury were going to extend their lead, but the final pass went astray and The Bulldogs winger Alex Brown outpaced the defence to race the length of the South Stand to score. With Lee Patterson adding the conversion we were 10 – 6 in arrears, though the situation didn’t last for long… five minutes at the most.

That’s how long it took Dewsbury to hit back, Greg Scott going over for their second try and Hemingway adding the conversion to edge them into a lead they were never to lose. A few minutes later it was Shane Grady who made the next telling break, handing on for Wayne Godwin to touch down by the posts. Hemingway duly slotted over the conversion as he did when Tommy Gallagher added to The Rams total with a further try some three minutes later.

Even now Dewsbury weren’t done, Kieran Hyde dropping a goal as the half came to an end.

Half time  :-  Rams 25  Bulldogs 10.

A lead of fifteen points at the halfway mark should probably have left me feeling more positive than it did but, over the years I’ve been following this game of ours, I’ve learned to take nothing for granted. Batley might have taken a bit of a thumping in the latter stages of the first half and, as a result, they were always going to come out fighting for the points in the second.

Unlike last week however Dewsbury’s defence remained solid. An early penalty from Hemingway edged them further in front before Scotty’s second try around the fifty minute mark suggested that there was to be no ‘second half nerves’ this week. Batley might still have been making too many mistakes, but The Rams were moving the ball around nicely, stretching The Bulldogs defence to the limit… and beyond.

Karl Pryce added to their try tally around the seventy minute mark, and with five minutes left on the clock, prop Ryan Hepworth sealed an impressive performance, going over for their seventh try. Tom Hemingway converted both, stretching the lead to 43 – 10 and, though The Rams came back yet again they couldn’t add to their tally.

The South Stand was at full voice by this time, and both Glenn Morrison and his squad responded by coming over to express their appreciation. Cougars away on May 4, so come along if you can and support your team; they certainly deserve it after yesterday’s performance.   

Rams :- Kieran Hyde; Dale Morton; Karl Pryce; Shane Grady; Greg Scott; Tom Hemingway; Anthony Thackeray; Ryan Hepworth; Wayne Godwin; Ewan Dowes; Rob Spicer; Scott Hale, Josh Tonks.  Subs :-  Stephen Nash; Tommy Gallagher; Matthew Haggerty; Jordan Grayston.

Bulldogs :-  Miles Greenwood; Vinny Finnigan; Lee Patterson; Josh Griffin; Alex Brown; Simon Brown; Scott Leatherbarrow; Byron Smith; Luke Blake; Adam Gledhill; John Davies; Sam Scott; Kyle Trout.  Subs  :-  Chris Rowe; Alister Leek; Brad Brennan; Joe Chandler.

Attendance :-  1,199 

Referee :-  M. Thomason

Errm, there were more than that there Ossy!

Believe what you see, don't see what you believe.

John Ray (1627 - 1705)

#19 Blind side johnny

Blind side johnny
  • Coach
  • 9,469 posts

Posted 19 April 2014 - 06:04 PM

5,100 is capacity now mate

Are you sure DTID?

I think that it's still around 3600.

Believe what you see, don't see what you believe.

John Ray (1627 - 1705)

#20 Official Rams Updates

Official Rams Updates
  • Coach
  • 255 posts

Posted 19 April 2014 - 06:28 PM

Errm, there were more than that there Ossy!

Ive corrected the finger slip.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users