Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

A view from the South Stand - By Ossy

• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

#21 Ossy

Ossy
  • Coach
  • 1,402 posts

Posted 20 April 2014 - 09:51 AM

:rtfm:  Thank you... I apologise profusely... :thankyou:

#22 Blue Monkey

Blue Monkey
  • Coach
  • 1,720 posts

Posted 20 April 2014 - 05:20 PM

5,100 is capacity now mate

Thanks pal, that sounds more like it.

#23 andyram

andyram
  • Coach
  • 971 posts

Posted 21 April 2014 - 09:36 AM

Friday was definitely a Good Friday to remember for us Rams.Hope Hyde is ok after coming off, thought Grayston wasn't as good when he replaced him, dropping two high kicks.All the players deserve a week off to recover.One last thing hope Aaron Brown has a speedy recovery and he's the first name to sign on for 2015.

Edited by andyram, 21 April 2014 - 09:41 AM.

#24 Official Rams Updates

Official Rams Updates
  • Coach
  • 255 posts

Posted 05 May 2014 - 12:55 PM

This is Ossys view of yesterday's game. Do you agree?

Keighley Cougars 40 – Dewsbury Rams 20.

Let’s be honest about it, this was never going to be an easy game, but I certainly wasn’t expecting The Rams to fold the way they did this afternoon. We weren’t simply outplayed, we were also outthought and outfought from the moment the game kicked off, and suddenly I find myself wondering exactly where this vital season is going to take us. Credit has to be given to The Cougars though. Not only did their tactics highlight our defensive weakness out wide, but they also stuck to them when we briefly threatened a second half comeback.

The opening moments were fairly equal, but the game was only some eight minutes old when winger Richie Barnett opened the scoring, racing over in the corner and with Danny Jones adding the touch line conversion, we were already 6 – 0 down. We were making far too many mistakes, and Keighley were quick to take advantage, doubling their score when ex Ram Luke Haigh went over by the posts a few minutes later and Jones added the conversion.

Cougars were playing with confidence now, but Dewsbury certainly didn’t help matters. They were making far too many mistakes and it was no great surprise when Paul March broke through a poor defence and, going right, he sent Barnett over for his second try. Around the half hour mark it was Ross Peltier’s turn to brush aside a poor Rams defence to add his name to the try scoring list. Jones’s conversion stretched Keighley’s lead to 22 points, and was followed a few minutes later by a penalty.

It was around this point that I added a couple of comments to my notepad – ‘This is abysmal’ and ‘Only one side in it,’ which pretty much summed up the game at that point. But as the half drew to an end The Rams finally turned up, winger Greg Scott crossing for their first try wide out, and Tom Hemingway adding the touchline conversion.

Half Time :- Cougars 24 Rams 6.

Dewsbury needed a more positive approach if they were going to get anything out of this game, and in those early moments they looked up for it, only for Barnett’s interception some ten minutes into the half to spoil the illusion. Gathering the ball well in his own half he then outpaced the defence to go over for his hat trick try.

Still, to their credit The Rams kept on coming, Tommy Gallagher driving over from short range, and Kieran Hyde repeating the score only a couple of minutes later. Cougars were clearly rattled, and a bonus point certainly looked to be on at this point. Unfortunately Hemingway missed both conversions, and Keighley were far from finished.

Yet again it was the defence that let us down with Cougars moving the ball wide and sending winger Paul White over for their sixth try and, though Jones missed the conversion, he landed a penalty only a few minutes later, stretching their lead to 34 – 14.

Time was running out and though prop Stephen Nash drove over for a late try, again direct from the play the ball, and Hemingway added the conversion, it was Keighley who had the last word Luke Haigh crossing for his second try and Jones adding the conversion as the hooter sounded.

Final Score :- Keighley Cougars 40 Dewsbury Rams 20.

Okay, so it was a good performance from The Cougars, but Dewsbury will need to play better than that to keep our place in the Kingstone Press Championship.

Teams :- Cougars :- James Craven; Richie Barnett; Danny Lawton; Daley Williams; Paul White; Danny Jones; Paul Handforth; Jode Sheriffe; Luke Haigh; Sean Hesketh; Josh Lynam; Subs :- Scott Law; Neil Cherryholme; Jack Lee; Ross Peltier.

Rams :- Kieran Hyde; Dale Morton; Karl Pryce; Shane Grady; Greg Scott; Tom Hemingway; Anthony Thackeray; Ewan Dowes; Wayne Godwin; Ryan Hepworth; Rob Spicer; Scott Hale, Josh Tonks. Subs :- Stephen Nash; Tommy Gallagher; Matt Haggerty; Jordan Grayston.

Referee :- Tom Crashley.

Attendance :- 817

Follow us on twitter @DewsburyRams

Facebook: https://www.facebook...buryrams?ref=hl

Our website: http://www.dewsburyrams.co.uk/

Email: info@dewsburyrams.co.uk

#25 Blind side johnny

Blind side johnny
  • Coach
  • 9,440 posts

Posted 05 May 2014 - 01:18 PM

That sums up a dire performance pretty well Ossy, although I hadn't realised that we played against only 11 men, which makes it a whole lot worse.

:angel:

Believe what you see, don't see what you believe.

John Ray (1627 - 1705)

#26 Ossy

Ossy
  • Coach
  • 1,402 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 10:50 AM

" Teams :- Cougars :- James Craven; Richie Barnett; Danny Lawton; Daley Williams; Paul White; Danny Jones; Paul Handforth; Jode Sheriffe; Luke Haigh; Sean Hesketh; Josh Lynam; Subs :- Scott Law; Neil Cherryholme; Jack Lee; Ross Peltier. "

With apologies... how could I have missed Brendon Rawlins and Paul March?

#27 Official Rams Updates

Official Rams Updates
  • Coach
  • 255 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 07:28 PM

As he does every week, long time supporter Chris Osbaldeston gives his view of the game. Ossys match reports are published across Social media each week as he is a supporter writing for supporters. It should be pointed out that like all his reports they are not endorsed, supported by or necessarily the views of the club.

A VIEW FROM THE SOUTH STAND - By Chris Osbaldeston

DEWSBURY RAMS 12  LEIGH CENTURIONS 28.

This was a bad day all round for Dewsbury Rams.

I usually try to avoid mentioning match officials in my postings, after all it isn’t the easiest job in the world. On the other hand however, the performance we saw from Dave Merrick yesterday simply can’t be ignored. Even during the warm up he made a point of showing off his power with a series of press ups on the fencing right in the middle of The South Stand whilst exchanging banter with The Leythers. Not the wisest of moves perhaps given what was to follow…

The Rams kicked off downwind towards the Owl Lane end and took full advantage of the conditions, opening the scoring with Kieran Hyde intercepting and racing some 60 yards for the first try, Jordan Grayston adding the conversion.

It wasn’t all one way though, and The Rams defence had to be at their best to deny Leigh before fighting back, extending their lead with a Grayston penalty shortly after the half hour mark. This was a different side to the one we watched at Cougar Park last week though, having awarded a further try to The Rams over on the Main Stand side, Mr. Merrick then changed his mind on the intervention of a touch judge who was some 40 yards away. Don’t ask me why because I still don’t know.

This was the moment when things started to go wrong though. Leigh substitute Jamie Acton got away with a couple of high tackles before Rams forward Matt Haggerty responded in kind and was immediately given a red card. It was an unnecessary move in my opinion, one that totally ruined what promised to be a good second half when ten minutes in the bin for both Haggerty and Acton at that point might have avoided some of the problems we saw later.

Half time :- Rams  8  Centurions 0.

Just how much that decision affected the game became clear in a matter of minutes with tries from Liam Kay and Ryan Brierley, the latter being converted by Martyn Ridyard saw the Centurions take the lead.  

I don’t know what was said at half time, but Dave Merrick then proceeded to add to his blunders by giving The Rams several dubious decisions as if that would make things right. Of course it didn’t, and though they defended manfully, Leigh added further tries from Tom Spencer (55 mins), Kurt Haggerty (60 mins), and a second for Ryan Brierley with some ten minutes left on the clock. All were converted by Ridyard, extending their lead to 8 – 28, but it was at this point that Mr. Merrick began to pay the price for his earlier decisions.

Kurt Haggerty was the first to go to the bin, exactly why I’m not sure, though it seemed the referee simply lost patience with his every decision seeming to be questioned. The total was 12 apiece – players on the pitch that is – and The Rams struck back, Dale Morton scoring in the corner and narrowing the gap to 12 – 28. It was far too late to affect the final score of course, but it seemed that Mr. Merrick still wanted to leave his stamp on the game, dismissing Jamie Acton to the bin – a move he should have made in the first half.

Final score :- Dewsbury Rams 12  Leigh Centurions 28.

TEAMS:- Rams :- Louis Sherrif; Dale Morton; Kieran Hyde; Shane Grady; Greg Scott; Jordan Grayston; Anthony Thackeray; Makali Aizue; Wayne Godwin; Ewan Dowes; Rob Spicer; Scott Hale; Josh Tonks.  Subs :-  Ryan Hepworth; Tommy Gallagher; Matthew Haggerty; Callan Becket.
Centurions :- Tom Armstrong; Cameron Pitman; Jake Emmitt; Robert Beswick; Sam Hopkins; Martyn Ridyard; Ryan Brierley; Tom Spencer; Kurt Haggerty; Tommy Goulden; Greg McNally; Liam Kay; Adam Higson.  Subs :- Sam Barlow; Oliver Wilkes; Sean Penkywicz; Jamie Acton.
Referee :- Dave Merrick.

Attendance :- 1,193

Rams Man of the Match :- Jordan Grayston.

#28 sweaty craiq

sweaty craiq
  • Coach
  • 1,573 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 05:01 PM

Comedy genius, keep it up

#29 Wakefield Ram

Wakefield Ram
  • 1,588 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 05:50 PM

Comedy genius, keep it up

Presumably you will be off to your next opponents board to wind them up. Only a few more days to go.....

#30 JimbobRam

JimbobRam
  • Coach
  • 405 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 05:55 PM

He's probably got nothing better to do :)

#31 DEWSBURY TIL I DIE

DEWSBURY TIL I DIE
  • Coach
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 08:00 PM

Penkywicz 1 match ban for incident v fev!... Higson will get 3, hegarty sending off sufficient

#32 Wakefield Ram

Wakefield Ram
  • 1,588 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 08:17 PM

He's probably got nothing better to do :)

What do you mean by that? Did you not read the post that Elton John is to play Leigh?

Can you imagine the conversation

Elton "where I am playing next ? O2 or NEC or Wembley?"

"Er no........Leigh"

Elton " where''s that?"

"Get me the postcode and I'll have a look on the sat nav.......Jesus!"

#33 Official Rams Updates

Official Rams Updates
  • Coach
  • 255 posts

Posted 19 May 2014 - 03:37 PM

The latest instalment from Ossy:

A VIEW FROM THE SOUTH STAND.

BARROW RAIDERS 30 DEWSBURY RAMS 42.

Perhaps it has something to do with my own playing career, (mostly football and the 15 man game I’m afraid), but for some reason I always feel nervous and uncertain before every game. Today however I made the mistake of telling my companions on ‘The Barmy Army’ bus that I felt confident we’d come out on top, so I suppose you can blame me for the poor start The Rams made to today’s game.

For some reason we simply couldn’t hang on to the ball, and with only ten minutes on the clock we already found ourselves 12 – 0 in arrears. The first try went to Daniel Toal, a kick through bouncing perfectly for him to gather and cross for the try and Ryan Shaw adding the conversion.

Okay I was thinking, these things can happen sometimes, only I wasn’t expecting it to happen again when winger Dalton Grant collecting a kick through to race over for Raiders second try. With Shaw adding the conversion again Rams were twelve point down and it might have been worse. Another fumble saw Barrow over again only for the try to be disallowed and thankfully The Rams were able to hit back right away. It was Wayne Grady who made making the initial break before sending Anthony Thackeray racing over under the posts for their first try. With Jordan Grayston adding the conversion I felt confident that we were back in the game only to be proved wrong.

Raiders second row Liam Harrison was proving to be a handful in these early stages, with the rest of his pack charging in behind him The Raiders half backs were dictating the game and it was no great surprise when Liam Campbell carved his way through The Rams defence for their third try. With Shaw adding the conversion again they were 18 – 6 in front and fully deserved to be there.

Slowly though The Rams pack, well led by Tommy Gallagher, were starting to exert some real pressure, and behind them Anthony Thackeray began to dismantle the Barrow defence with a couple of quick tries around the half hour mark. Both of these were converted by Grayston to level the score, and it was Jordan’s penalty in the final seconds of the half which eased them into the narrowest of leads as the whistle went.

Half time :- Raiders 18 Rams 20.

It certainly wasn’t a decisive lead, though the opening moments of the half seemed to suggest different, Scott Hale collecting a cross kick to plunge over the line some five minutes in and Grayston adding another conversion to stretch the lead a little further. Barrow certainly weren’t folding, not even when Tommy Gallagher’s break was taken on by Tom Hemingway who sent Thackeray in for his 4th try of the game. Grayston’s kicking was also first class, the conversion being quickly followed by a comfortable penalty that stretched The Rams lead to 30 - 40

With the score at 18 – 32 in favour of The Rams, the game seemed done and dusted, only Barrow clearly hadn’t read the script and came storming back with a couple of quick tries from Andrew Dawson and Niall Evalds around the hour mark. With Ryan Shaw adding both conversions we were back down to a two point lead and my nerves were getting totally shredded. To be honest the uncertainty is normally one of the things I love most about our game, but I felt it was vital that we came away with a win today.

Thankfully it seemed that Anthony Thackeray felt the same way because a couple of minutes later he was racing over for his fifth try of the game, an amazing feat that had me wondering how long it had been since we saw a Rams player notch up five tries in a single game? With Grayston adding yet another conversion and following that up with a penalty we were eight points up and the time was ticking away inexorably.

There was just long enough for winger Dale Morton to go over for another try, and though Grayston missed the conversion, the hooter sounded to confirm the fact that Dewsbury had notched up another important victory.

FINAL SCORE :- BARROW RAIDERS 30 - DEWSBURY RAMS 42.

TEAMS:- Raiders :- Ian Mort; Niall Evalds; Ryan Shaw; Mal Wiper; Dalton Grant; Dom Speakman; Liam Campbell; Joe Burke; Nathan Mossop; Liam Harrison; Daniel Toal; Danny Jones; Andrew Dawson. Subs :- Joe Bullock; Mick Govin; Aaron Low; Jamie Butler.

Rams :- Louis Sherrif; Dale Morton; Kieran Hyde; Shane Grady; Greg Scott; Jordan Grayston; Anthony Thackeray; Makali Aizue; Wayne Godwin; Ewan Dowes; Scott Hale; Ryan Hepworth; Callan Beckett. Subs :- Stephen Nash; Tom Hemingway; Tommy Gallagher; Matthew Haggerty.

Referee :- Joe Cobb.

Attendance :- 917.

Rams Man of the Match :- Anthony Thackeray… that’s purely my selection by the way, but given his superb five try haul I don’t think there’ll be too much argument with it.

#34 Blind side johnny

Blind side johnny
  • Coach
  • 9,440 posts

Posted 19 May 2014 - 07:19 PM

Was Hyde in the three quarters and Grayston at stand off Ossy?
Believe what you see, don't see what you believe.

John Ray (1627 - 1705)

#35 Tom Coates

Tom Coates
  • 1,014 posts

Posted 19 May 2014 - 08:13 PM

Grayston was FB, Hyde at SO and Sheriff at LF.

#36 evertrinatonian

evertrinatonian
  • Players
  • 12 posts

Posted 21 May 2014 - 05:20 PM

Jordan went to wing when greg went off and lois reverted to full back

#37 Jason Basin

Jason Basin
  • Players
  • 85 posts

Posted 22 May 2014 - 12:56 PM

what do you think are these players best positions?

i'd put sheriff at full-back and give him a decent run. he had a couple of poor games but i think he's better than what we've seen.

hyde i like as an impact player who can come at hooker or in the halves. not a full-back though.

grayston could be a good one for the future and it looks like he can cover centre or full-back.

#38 Wakefield Ram

Wakefield Ram
  • 1,588 posts

Posted 22 May 2014 - 04:52 PM

Sherriff at Full Back, Wright on bench with Hyde. And unfortunately not Josh Tonks he's not big enough taking the ball up. Tackling is very good but need to be good at both.

#39 Eddie_Rombo

Eddie_Rombo
  • Coach
  • 1,937 posts

Posted 23 May 2014 - 03:25 PM

Sherriff at Full Back, Wright on bench with Hyde. And unfortunately not Josh Tonks he's not big enough taking the ball up. Tackling is very good but need to be good at both.

Joel Farrell needs to be given a chance.

Edited by Eddie_Rombo, 23 May 2014 - 03:29 PM.

#40 grumpyoldram

grumpyoldram
  • Coach
  • 2,688 posts

Posted 23 May 2014 - 06:57 PM

Joel Farrell needs to be given a chance.

Agreed - and bring back Austin.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users