TotalRL.com Shop Alert: Last Ordering Date for Free Pre-Xmas Delivery within UK: 2pm Thursday 18th December!!
Rugby League Yearbook 2014/15 The Forbidden Game League Express League Express Gift Card Rugby League World Rugby League World Gift Card
Buy Now £14.99 / Kindle Buy Now £14.99 / Kindle Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards

Photo
- - - - -

A view from the South Stand - By Ossy

• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

#41 Jason Basin

Jason Basin
  • Players
  • 85 posts

Posted 24 May 2014 - 10:15 AM

austins playing tomorrow.

#42 Official Rams Updates

Official Rams Updates
  • Coach
  • 255 posts

Posted 26 May 2014 - 03:55 PM

A VIEW FROM THE SOUTH STAND.

DEWSBURY RAMS 20 HALIFAX 18.

When we made the trip up to Barrow last week I was in an unusually optimistic frame of mind, and we won. This week however I made the journey to Rams Stadium in a rather less positive mood, yet we won again. Sometimes I think I’ll never understand this game we love so much.

To be honest the early moments weren’t the best for The Rams. They were under pressure for much of the time and it was no great surprise when Fax winger Tommy Saxton, on loan fron Featherstone, opened the scoring with a try in the corner. Though Steve Tyrer missed the conversion, a penalty followed a few minutes later edging the visitors further into the lead at 0 - 6.

Believe it or not I don’t usually make a habit of criticising referees, but it was around this time that The South Standers began to question some of the decisions we were seeing from Mr. Cobb, and to be honest I couldn’t really argue with them. The 40-20 that wasn’t, the blatant knock on that was simply waved away and an equally blatant kick not two yards in front of the touch judge that was simply ignored.

Yet The Rams continued to hold on and, despite Tyrer adding a further penalty around the half hour mark, they were also beginning to threaten. So it was no real surprise when Anthony Thackeray followed up a kick to touch down. With Jordan Grayston adding the conversion, the score was back at 6 – 8 with only a few minutes left of the first half. Neither side was able to add to their score before the hooter sounded, and that was still the situation when the first forty minutes came to an end.

Half Time :- Rams 6 Halifax 8.

I could be wrong of course, it has been known. But it was some three minutes into the second half before Austin Buchanan finally managed to get his hands on the ball, and a further sixty seconds before he crossed the line for the try that eased the Rams in front. Again Grayston added the conversion extending the lead to 12 – 8, though the game was always a close one.

Having criticised Mr. Cobb for some of his earlier decisions, I’m pleased to confirm that the second forty minutes saw a far more polished performance from him and, as a result, was almost trouble free. In my opinion that’s the way the men in the middle should perform, though credit to Fax, they didn’t adopt the tactics we’d seen from Leigh only two weeks ago and both sets of supporters got a cracking second half that could have gone either way right up to the final hooter.

The Rams were buzzing in these early moments, Shane Grady bursting through down the main stand side and handing on to Scott Hale who was finally hauled down well into the Fax half. Not only was he hauled down, but he was also held down by Saxton, an action that earned him a ten minute stay on the sidelines, but could well have prevented a further try for Dewsbury. It did result in a penalty however which was duly slotted over by Grayston edging The Rams a further two points ahead at 16 – 8.

It should have been more, and The South Stand was already erupting in delight as they watched Thackeray race over, only to lose the ball in the act of touching down. How often are games decided by such moments, and sure enough Fax came right back with Ryan Fieldhouse touching down a kick through from stand-off Scott Murrell. With Tyrer’s conversion managing to avoid the posts on this occasion they were right back in the game at 14 apiece.

Things were getting edgy. The drop goals simply wouldn’t go over and it was another try from Fax that broke the deadlock, Callum Casey forcing his way over for their third try with ten minutes left, Tyrer’s conversion attempt coming back off the post for the second time in the game.

But Morro’s efforts are certainly beginning to pay dividends, because The Rams weren’t ready to give up on this one, and with a couple of minutes left on the clock Shane Grady forced his way over for the try that levelled the scores again. Jordan Grayston’s conversion edged them into a two point lead, but even now the drama wasn’t over.

A late penalty to Fax had the fans of both sides holding their breath, though the cheer from The Rams fans when the kick went wide was possibly the loudest of the afternoon.

The hooter went, we’d won a cracking game and I could calm my frantically beating heart at last. See… I admit it… I do have one.

Dewsbury Rams:- Jobe Murphy; Dale Morton; Shane Grady; Callan Becket; Austin Buchanan; Kieran Hyde; Anthony Thackeray; Ryan Hepworth; Wayne Godwin; Makali Aizue; Ewan Dowes; Scott Hale; Jordan Grayston. Subs:- Tom Hemingway; Stephen Nash; Tommy Gallagher; Matthew Haggerty.

Halifax:- Ryan Fieldhouse; Tommy Saxton; Steve Tyrer; Ross Divorty; Wayne Reittie; Scott Murrell; Paul Mennell; Tony Tonks; Luke Ambler; Dane Manning; Ben Johnson; Sam Brooks; Luke Adamson. Subs:- Jack Spencer; Andy Bracek; Keith Holden; Callum Casey.

Referee :- Joe Cobb.

Attendance :- 1,213

Man of the Match :- Anthony Thackeray

Follow us on twitter @DewsburyRams

Facebook: https://www.facebook...buryrams?ref=hl

Our website: http://www.dewsburyrams.co.uk/

Email: info@dewsburyrams.co.uk

#43 Blind side johnny

Blind side johnny
  • Coach
  • 9,758 posts

Posted 26 May 2014 - 05:20 PM

Good report Chris, as always.

Believe what you see, don't see what you believe.

John Ray (1627 - 1705)

#44 Crown Flatter

Crown Flatter
  • Coach
  • 1,710 posts

Posted 27 May 2014 - 10:35 PM

Great stuff Ossy. Your change of heart about the second half performance of He Who Shall Be Obeyed was in line with the thoughts of some of your South Stand brethren, who had an idea that someone from on a higher plane than he had suggested he should well, mend his ways somewhat!
Legs, Dews, Legs.

#45 Official Rams Updates

Official Rams Updates
  • Coach
  • 255 posts

Posted 23 June 2014 - 06:55 PM

After a deserved break, Chris is back with another excellent match report:

DEWSBURY RAMS 24 DONCASTER 8.

Referee :- Gareth Hewer.

Teams :- Dewsbury :- Karl Pryce; Dale Morton; Callan Beckett; Shane Grady; Austin Buchanan; Tom Hemingway; Anthony Thackeray; Ewan Dowes; Kyle Briggs; Makali Aizue; Scott Hale; Ryan Hepworth; Jobe Murphy. Subs :- Stephen Nash; Matthew Haggerty; Kieran Hyde; Rob Spicer.

Doncaster :- David Scott; Nev Morrison; Liam Cunningham; Liam Welham; Stewart Sanderson; Paul Cooke; Jacob Miller; Matt Carbutt; Kyle Kesik; Liam Watts; Liam Colbon; Alex Starling; Steve Snitch. Subs :- Russell Spiers; Scott Spaven; Ryan Wilson; Michael Kelly.

Having missed the last three games due to holiday commitments (two sunny weeks with the family in Port des Torrent, Ibiza by the way), it was good to get back to one of the true joys of my life, a Rams home game, this one being against a Doncaster side who’ve been having a pretty good season so far. It always promised to be a good and close run game and, for most of the afternoon, that’s exactly what we got.

Both sides had their chances in those early moments, and it seemed as though Donny were over, only to be called back for a forward pass. From the start it was a competitive game, and though both sides had spells on attack, it was generally the defences who ruled the first half. As a result it was around the half hour mark before the deadlock was broken with a penalty from the visitors, slotted over by David Scott following an incident which saw their prop Russ Spiers stretchered from the field.

Their lead was a short lived one however, some two minutes to be exact, and it was Rams half back Anthony Thackeray who burst through and raced half the length of the pitch before touching down in the corner. Dewsbury were buzzing now, and increased their lead when Kyle Briggs touched down as the hooter sounded. Though Rams failed to convert either of these tries, they turned round 8 – 2 in the lead.

It was still anybody’s game though. Dewsbury had played well but there was still 40 minutes left, and the question in my mind was whether they could keep things going for the whole game?

Dale Morton’s superb break tore the Donny defence to shreds, and though he was pulled down short of the line, Callan Beckett was quick to follow up, driving over the line for The Rams third try. This time Tom Hemingway added the conversion and, when Karl Pryce’s perfectly timed pass sent Shane Grady over for their fourth try. This time it was Kieran Hyde who missed the conversion, but at 18 – 2 in front, it seemed The Rams were home and hosed though of course I should have known better than to allow such thoughts into my mind. Around the hour mark Rob Spicer was given ten minutes in the bin, and Donny took advantage Liam Watts going over for their first, and only try of the game, David Scott adding the conversion to narrow the gap.

Suddenly 18 – 8 didn’t seem such an insurmountable target, but Dewsbury not only settled my nerves when Rob returned to the fray, but they finished off the game in some style. This time it was Makali Aizue who laid the foundations; he’d proved to be a handful all afternoon, and with four or five minutes left on the clock it seemed he was going to bulldoze his way over. He was finally hauled down short, though Thackeray was quick to take advantage, driving over from short range for his second try of the game. Hemingway added the conversion and The Rams had secured some important points.
Dewsbury Rams 24 - Doncaster 8.

Man of the match :- Anthony Thackeray.

Follow us on twitter @DewsburyRams

Facebook: https://www.facebook...buryrams?ref=hl

Our website: http://www.dewsburyrams.co.uk/

Email: info@dewsburyrams.co.uk

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users