Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

17/04/14 - London Broncos v Catalan Dragons KO 8pm

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

Poll: London V Catalan (10 member(s) have cast votes)

Who will win?

1. London Broncos (2 votes [20.00%])

Percentage of vote: 20.00%

2. Catalan Dragons (8 votes [80.00%])

Percentage of vote: 80.00%

3. Draw (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Joe Whitley

Joe Whitley
  • Admin
  • 307 posts

Posted 16 April 2014 - 02:27 PM

Discuss this game here...

TotalRL.com Editor
Email: joe.whitley@totalrl.com
Direct line: +44 (0) 1484 404 921

#2 Exiled Wiganer

Exiled Wiganer
  • Coach
  • 6,021 posts

Posted 16 April 2014 - 03:27 PM

London will win one soon. But not this one. Sacre bleu's all round.

#3 THE RED ROOSTER

THE RED ROOSTER
  • Coach
  • 2,266 posts

Posted 16 April 2014 - 05:56 PM

If your in the area there plenty of reasons to come to Canons Park and back the Broncos:

Firstly, in the grand tradition of RL messageboards, if there is a record low crowd you will be one of the loyal few who were there and will be able to post confident in the knowledge that you were actually at the game and not one of posers claiming to have been there.

Secondly, There will be a low print run on the Broncos Programme (all profits to  London Broncos) so you will have a collectors item.

Thirdly, Come on you really want to know the score don't you and what better way to find out than be there in person.

Fourth, This is probably the last season of professional rugby league south of Wakefield so make the most of it.

Finally, the Broncos are going to win.

Why the optimism, we know the problems the club has, we know on paper this is the weakest squad in all Super League, but games are not won on paper, and it's time for the players and what remains of the Loyal and Loud to aim up for what is a most winnable game. There a general conviction across both codes in rugby that the French do not travel well and its remains to be seen how they handle a chilly subbuteo style stadium on a spring evening in Harrow.

A win changes everything, from the players energy levels, gives the fans renewed hope and will change the general ambiece of the club and I for one would hate to see the club dissapear without a fight on the field. So putting whatever remains of my tattered credibility on this messageboard on the line I confidently predict - Broncos by 2.

Edited by THE RED ROOSTER, 16 April 2014 - 05:58 PM.

I am an oil trader and successful at that but, but marketing, finance, business management, human resources etc are not my strengths

David Hughes to Ian Lenagan Page 134 - A Pastel Revolution - Fletcher and Gordas - 2006

Being an outsider, it is easiest to see what is wrong with the sport. It's a fantastic sport that has been undersold and under-marketed  because people who run it probably want to keep it the way it is

Dr Marwan Koukash to Joanthan Lieu. Sunday Telegraph 9th March 2014

#4 gutterfax

gutterfax
  • Coach
  • 237 posts

Posted 16 April 2014 - 06:52 PM

If your in the area there plenty of reasons to come to Canons Park and back the Broncos:

Firstly, in the grand tradition of RL messageboards, if there is a record low crowd you will be one of the loyal few who were there and will be able to post confident in the knowledge that you were actually at the game and not one of posers claiming to have been there.

Secondly, There will be a low print run on the Broncos Programme (all profits to  London Broncos) so you will have a collectors item.

Thirdly, Come on you really want to know the score don't you and what better way to find out than be there in person.

Fourth, This is probably the last season of professional rugby league south of Wakefield so make the most of it.

Finally, the Broncos are going to win.

Why the optimism, we know the problems the club has, we know on paper this is the weakest squad in all Super League, but games are not won on paper, and it's time for the players and what remains of the Loyal and Loud to aim up for what is a most winnable game. There a general conviction across both codes in rugby that the French do not travel well and its remains to be seen how they handle a chilly subbuteo style stadium on a spring evening in Harrow.

A win changes everything, from the players energy levels, gives the fans renewed hope and will change the general ambiece of the club and I for one would hate to see the club dissapear without a fight on the field. So putting whatever remains of my tattered credibility on this messageboard on the line I confidently predict - Broncos by 2.

1. There will be more than the 500 who bothered in Paris in 1997.......and it's hardly a reason in itself.

2. The "miniature" programmes never sell out...and again, not a reason in itself.

3. I will fight for NZ bandwidth for radio commentary thanks. 

4. Hmmm....anything that gives Hughes an inkling he's done the right thing is, in my eyes, a waste of time. If I lived in London I'd probably be there though, but as a RL fan I'd have no issue with championship RL next year.

Finally. You keep on saying it sunshine.....maybe one day you'll get lucky,

Catalans by the bookies 20...attendance 873

#5 back to the future

back to the future
  • Coach
  • 689 posts

Posted 16 April 2014 - 08:49 PM

London will win one soon.

Dont think so unless there is another London Bronco team

#6 jus de couchon

jus de couchon
  • Players
  • 94 posts

Posted 17 April 2014 - 12:16 AM

I wont be there , got a job to do. Don't really care now if they win or loose. Broncos never really tapped into the potential support here in London. The M62 jokes will abound. What is wrong with this great game that makes the ESL  whims of Idiots make it look foolish?

#7 fieldofclothofgold

fieldofclothofgold
  • Coach
  • 5,706 posts

Posted 17 April 2014 - 01:55 AM

Cats by 16

but you and I weve been through that and this is not our fate.
So let us so let us not talk falsely now.
The hour is getting late
FROM 2004,TO DO WHAT THIS CLUB HAS DONE,IF THATS NOT GREATNESSTHEN i DONT KNOW WHAT IS.

JAMIE PEACOCK

#8 Chronicler of Chiswick

Chronicler of Chiswick
  • Coach
  • 2,482 posts

Posted 17 April 2014 - 09:42 AM

What's going to interest me isn't the margin of the Catalans' victory, but whether the gate's higher than Crusaders- Rochdale on Friday. Incidentally, Red Rooster, don't you mean full-time RL in London? Forgotten the Skolars?

#9 Spicer

Spicer
  • Coach
  • 1,699 posts

Posted 17 April 2014 - 12:33 PM

Reckon this will be pretty close.

Catalan by 6.

#10 brooza

brooza
  • 4,360 posts

Posted 17 April 2014 - 03:08 PM

Might pop along. Not sure though. I would like to see them at some point this season

St Albans Centurions 1st Team Manager. Former Medway Dragons Wheelchair RL player.

Leeds Rhinos, St Albans Centurions y Griffons Madrid fan. Also follow (to a lesser extent) Catalans Dragons, London Broncos, South Sydney Rabbitohs, Jacksonville Axemen, Vrchlabi Mad Squirrels, København Black Swans, Red Star Belgrade and North Hertfordshire Crusaders.

Moderator of the International board

#11 westlondonfan

westlondonfan
  • Coach
  • 508 posts

Posted 17 April 2014 - 08:05 PM

Anyone at the match?
What's occurring?

#12 Cake Tiger

Cake Tiger
  • Coach
  • 724 posts

Posted 17 April 2014 - 08:53 PM

Reckon this will be pretty close.

Catalan by 6.

Hoped you popped a tenner on.

#13 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 17,176 posts

Posted 17 April 2014 - 09:01 PM

Attendance 1,002 - dreadful but seeing as it is at home vs Catalans it's better than might have been feared.

A close game tonight. Didn't watch it. Was listening to the Hull derby. Does anyone who went to the game care to comment? Are Broncos getting better? They weren't all that bad against Wigan last week.

#14 flyingking

flyingking
  • Coach
  • 720 posts

Posted 17 April 2014 - 10:29 PM

It's not often you walk away from a Broncos game to hear fans saying how enjoyable the game was. However they showed a lot of resilience to be in a position with ball in hand inside the 10m to almost snatch a 28 28 draw with the last play of the game. Lots of positives to take away from the game. If they can learn how to defend their line resolutely, then they will win some games this season. The fans though low in numbers were outstanding in vocal support and wit. Sample songs were "the (league) table's upside down" and "We all want a team of Atelea Vears, Atelea Vears, Number 1 Atelea Vear, Number 2 Atelea Vear, Number 3 Atalea Vear" etc
www.twitter.com/flyingking2

#15 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 17,176 posts

Posted 18 April 2014 - 08:34 AM

It's not often you walk away from a Broncos game to hear fans saying how enjoyable the game was. However they showed a lot of resilience to be in a position with ball in hand inside the 10m to almost snatch a 28 28 draw with the last play of the game. Lots of positives to take away from the game. If they can learn how to defend their line resolutely, then they will win some games this season. The fans though low in numbers were outstanding in vocal support and wit. Sample songs were "the (league) table's upside down" and "We all want a team of Atelea Vears, Atelea Vears, Number 1 Atelea Vear, Number 2 Atelea Vear, Number 3 Atalea Vear" etc

Good to hear. Broncos are probably doomed to relegation but they aren't necessarily doomed to the scrapheap. The manner in which they go down will probably determine their fortunes in the Championship. Some good, battling performances with local players (and Dixon hasn't played for them yet this season) will do them a power of good.

#16 Spicer

Spicer
  • Coach
  • 1,699 posts

Posted 18 April 2014 - 08:55 AM

Hoped you popped a tenner on.

Unfortunately not. I sometimes take the handicap bet which was plus 20 last night,but havent done so since

the Castleford fixture..If its plus 40 against Hull monday I may have a punt.

#17 Spicer

Spicer
  • Coach
  • 1,699 posts

Posted 18 April 2014 - 09:05 AM

What a strange game that turned out to be. Catalan were totally in control for 70 mins until putting the cue on the rack,

or imploding,call it what you will. They were far more dominant making plenty of yardage per set of six, invariably busting the

first tackle and even in contact the forwards were gaining a few more yards.

It was all looking pretty straight forward for them easily seeing off our 5 drives and a kick option.

As ever the Broncos were not taking a backward step but simply arent to the level of the opposition despite all there heart.

For the first 30 mins of the second half as my pal was saying it appeared more akin to a friendly.

Still credit to Broncos for keeping on going and taking the chances following late Catalan errors.

As regards the crowd announced as 1002, Who are they trying to kid.

One other thing,really thought the ref Mr Leatherbarrow whatever his name is had a good game.

Edited by Spicer, 18 April 2014 - 09:07 AM.

#18 londonrlfan

londonrlfan
  • Coach
  • 842 posts

Posted 18 April 2014 - 09:27 AM

I'm disappointed given how close it was and how poor we were for 70 odd minutes. The first half was dreadful, simply couldn't complete a set and dropping balls near the line. After Vea had a bit of biff, it seemed to lift the team and Vea was definitely feeding off the crowd. Just a shame we couldn't get over on the last play. If we play like we did in the last 10, I don't see why we can't spring a surprise at the KC, but only if we play like that. 

The fans though low in numbers were outstanding in vocal support and wit. Sample songs were "the (league) table's upside down" and "We all want a team of Atelea Vears, Atelea Vears, Number 1 Atelea Vear, Number 2 Atelea Vear, Number 3 Atalea Vear" etc

Yeah, it was good to see fans in other sections singing. Vea was the man yesterday, he got the crowd going by himself. "Atelea Vea, he does what he wants"

#19 THE RED ROOSTER

THE RED ROOSTER
  • Coach
  • 2,266 posts

Posted 18 April 2014 - 09:27 AM

First off let's deal with attendance sceptics, the figure announced is correct for it is AK and Barnet FC's money. "The Rugby League calculator" went into the skip along with most other things Bronco in September. All the regular "faces" from the Stoop (even gutterfax's pal in his Harlequins Trilby) were there last night.

The game I have to view as two points lost. if someone takes the OPTA stats from the game then in terms of possession the Broncos had plenty and were able to turn the ball over from Catalans before either knocking on themselves or getting pushed into touch. We looked like a championship side in the last 10 metres from the opposition try line where we seemed devoid of any ideas save a short pass to an oncoming forward and some aimless kicking on the last tackle early in the second half. The Third and Fourth Catalan tries conceded were very soft indeed and as Bosc brought his kicking boots with him this time, including two touchline efforts which proved decisive. Broncos composure was lacking and TBH for about 65 minutes I would have gien them B+ for effort and E for execution.

The atmosphere was flat even amongst the loyal and loud at that point 4-28 down until someone at last showed some composure after one of the interceptions were had been trying for all evening came off and the forward had the nous to hold on and passd to Mason-Caton Brown. 10-28 and this started off a mock conga at the bottom of the West Stand a conga that grew more serious being joined by Mr Rammond & company as the Broncos got a roll on and what Castleford had done to London in the last match London were doing to Catalans, but this was a revival just a little too late with the Hooter going with us inside their 10 metre line.

Positives , Defensively it was a better effort . Atelea Vear who adorned the front cover of the programme is a becoming a fan favourite and is Super League quality another wise recruitment choice from Sniffer who is a good judge of talent and has the contacts. We did demonstrate at the end we can play a bit.

Negatives, if you look at the side Catalans put out and the match stats I still think this is two points that went begging.

1. There will be more than the 500 who bothered in Paris in 1997.......and it's hardly a reason in itself.

2. The "miniature" programmes never sell out...and again, not a reason in itself.

3. I will fight for NZ bandwidth for radio commentary thanks. 

4. Hmmm....anything that gives Hughes an inkling he's done the right thing is, in my eyes, a waste of time. If I lived in London I'd probably be there though, but as a RL fan I'd have no issue with championship RL next year.

Finally. You keep on saying it sunshine.....maybe one day you'll get lucky,

Catalans by the bookies 20...attendance 873

There must have been some great team talks going on in the dressing room when you were with London Irish.

I think the fans know  we are the worst team on paper in Super League. We are the underdogs in each game but

It's not the size of the dog

It's the size of the fight in the dog

We need a positive attitude on and off the field. Now I agree with you about Hughes and Kleanthous and the deal for the Hive. However the coaching and playing staff wearing the old horses head deserve our support. As long as they are having a dig each game that will do for me. 

What's going to interest me isn't the margin of the Catalans' victory, but whether the gate's higher than Crusaders- Rochdale on Friday. Incidentally, Red Rooster, don't you mean full-time RL in London? Forgotten the Skolars?

While I have the greatest respect for the off field management at the Skolars. On the field they are the classic example of why organic growth will never work but that would be a separate thread.

Good to hear. Broncos are probably doomed to relegation but they aren't necessarily doomed to the scrapheap. The manner in which they go down will probably determine their fortunes in the Championship. Some good, battling performances with local players (and Dixon hasn't played for them yet this season) will do them a power of good.

I think we are going to win a few games this year whether it's enough to avoid relegation is another matter but the way in which the club performs from now on is crucial because the big question for next year is finding another Owner. If the RFL are serous about wanting a presence south of Sheffield then they should be approaching potential owners such as Bradford's; rejected suitor from London and saying "if you want to get into RL ownership then this is the club for you. As IFL has shown if your club has a vacancy at chairman you can go for it but you will have the experience of running a RL club beforehand."

Quiet moves are already underway following the restructure to build a club - and a proper supporters club - once the last vestige of the ancient regieme departs at the end of this season. Investing in London gives you two massive pluses.

• First off you have the whole junior production line in the south
  • Secondly last nigt proved there is a core fanbase in the south that will increase once the Club shows signs of lie on the field. Truly "it's the only game in Town"

SKY would prefer, not demand, prefer that their Rugby League competition is more geographically spread so even in the Championship for a limited time you will get TV exposure greater than that of the other clubs for a winning team.

Its not conventional P&R that's on offer and IMO the club will have a maximum of two seasons to get back into the elite before it degrades to the extent that the club will never come back. But there is the opportunity for the right investor to come in and bulid a club that might not just be the saving of the game south of Sheffield but long term the game itself in the northern hemisphere.

The stakes are that high . Let us hope the RFL is looking and that someone or group is interested.

Edited by THE RED ROOSTER, 18 April 2014 - 09:31 AM.

I am an oil trader and successful at that but, but marketing, finance, business management, human resources etc are not my strengths

David Hughes to Ian Lenagan Page 134 - A Pastel Revolution - Fletcher and Gordas - 2006

Being an outsider, it is easiest to see what is wrong with the sport. It's a fantastic sport that has been undersold and under-marketed  because people who run it probably want to keep it the way it is

Dr Marwan Koukash to Joanthan Lieu. Sunday Telegraph 9th March 2014

#20 Spicer

Spicer
  • Coach
  • 1,699 posts

Posted 18 April 2014 - 10:16 AM

The hilarity that met the announcement of the crowd size spoke volumes Red Rooster.
Then again the announcer struggled all night when it came to figures.

Edited by Spicer, 18 April 2014 - 10:22 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users