Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

21/4/14 - Widnes Vikings v St Helens KO 3pm

• Please log in to reply
87 replies to this topic

Poll: WID v STH (10 member(s) have cast votes)

Who will win?

1. Widnes Vikings (7 votes [70.00%])

Percentage of vote: 70.00%

2. St Helens (3 votes [30.00%])

Percentage of vote: 30.00%

3. Draw (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Joe Whitley

Joe Whitley
  • Admin
  • 303 posts

Posted 18 April 2014 - 10:29 AM

Discuss this game here...

TotalRL.com Editor
Email: joe.whitley@totalrl.com
Direct line: +44 (0) 1484 404 921

#2 MrFussy

MrFussy
  • Coach
  • 1,420 posts

Posted 18 April 2014 - 03:06 PM

We should be fresh enough for this one given the lack of fight that we put into our performance today... Might be harsh as it's not like I'm out there playing, but I can't help but feel disappointed with them right now.

Hopefully we'll be embarassed and use it as motivation to bounce back strong, although Widnes might well be feeling the same way about themselves.

Saints to win it. We need to pick ourselves up and respond immediately ahead of the cup tie. Again, Widnes might feel the same way.

Edited by MrFussy, 18 April 2014 - 03:07 PM.

#3 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 4,189 posts

Posted 18 April 2014 - 03:16 PM

I didn't care about the result at Widnes and still don't.  If they beat them I won't be impressed given the state of Widnes at the moment.  Today and next Saturday were the important games and today we were shown up as spineless.  I'm in London for our cup tie but nothing I saw today gives me hope for it.

#4 chuffer

chuffer
  • Coach
  • 3,345 posts

Posted 18 April 2014 - 07:37 PM

I fear we're in for another dicking.....the last couple of weeks the wheels have been falling off and saints are bound to on the bounce back after losing to Wigan

#5 Padge

Padge
  • Coach
  • 17,921 posts

Posted 18 April 2014 - 09:40 PM

Heads down both teams, Saints will have to try hard to lose though.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com
Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007
Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

#6 fieldofclothofgold

fieldofclothofgold
  • Coach
  • 5,562 posts

Posted 19 April 2014 - 01:44 AM

Saints will come back and win easily by 30 at least

but you and I weve been through that and this is not our fate.
So let us so let us not talk falsely now.
The hour is getting late
FROM 2004,TO DO WHAT THIS CLUB HAS DONE,IF THATS NOT GREATNESSTHEN i DONT KNOW WHAT IS.

JAMIE PEACOCK

#7 Bomb Jack

Bomb Jack
  • Coach
  • 2,002 posts

Posted 19 April 2014 - 09:30 AM

Saints will come back and win easily by 30 at least

That's what I'm afraid of..........

Widnes - Super League's newest Club, and Cheshire's Original Glamour Club. Watch out Warrington, we're back !

#8 MrFussy

MrFussy
  • Coach
  • 1,420 posts

Posted 19 April 2014 - 09:33 AM

I don't think it's going to be as easy as that. It sounds as though Brown has got no idea what team he's going to go with at present.

I can see this game being a tight scrap for the most part.

#9 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 4,189 posts

Posted 19 April 2014 - 11:04 AM

I don't think it's going to be as easy as that. It sounds as though Brown has got no idea what team he's going to go with at present.

Either that or he just wants to give that impression!

I don't think it will be plain sailing either.  Widnes fancy themselves on their I pitch whereas away teams generally struggle on it.  Some of our players won't have experienced it before and that may be a factor, along with the question of whether the team has learned this lesson it was supposed to be learning after the Hudds game but apparently didn't.

#10 Bod

Bod
  • Players
  • 15 posts

Posted 19 April 2014 - 12:38 PM

Very hard to predict this one as after yesterday both teams seem to be in the same position, bad defeats and important cup ties later in the week. If Widnes play anything like a full team I wouldn't be surprised to see them win .

#11 MrFussy

MrFussy
  • Coach
  • 1,420 posts

Posted 19 April 2014 - 01:12 PM

Brown will choose from:

2. Tommy Makinson, 3. Jordan Turner, 4. Josh Jones, 6. Lance Hohaia, 8. Mose Masoe, 10. Louie McCarthy-Scarsbrook, 12. Jon Wilkin, 15. Mark Flanagan, 23. Joe Greenwood, 24. Gary Wheeler, 25. Anthony Walker, 26. Matty Dawson, 28. Luke Thompson, 29. Jordan Hand, 30. Carl Forster, 32. Lewis Charnock, 33. Andre Savelio, 36. Matty Fozard, 37. Lewis Galbraith.

No Lomax, Walsh, Roby or Walmsley. I think Brown has probably played this one right. We'll have a hard time winning unless Widnes hold players back too, but we can't risk fatigue ahead of the cup tie. It'll be a chance for some of the youngsters to show what they can do anyway.

#12 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 4,189 posts

Posted 19 April 2014 - 01:13 PM

I can see this game being a tight scrap for the most part.

I think he had a pretty good idea.  Squad just announced:

2. Tommy Makinson, 3. Jordan Turner, 4. Josh Jones, 6. Lance Hohaia, 8. Mose Masoe, 10. Louie McCarthy-Scarsbrook, 12. Jon Wilkin, 15. Mark Flanagan, 23. Joe Greenwood, 24. Gary Wheeler, 25. Anthony Walker, 26. Matty Dawson, 28. Luke Thompson, 29. Jordan Hand, 30. Carl Forster, 32. Lewis Charnock, 33. Andre Savelio, 36. Matty Fozard, 37. Lewis Galbraith.

http://www.saintsrlf.../news/page/3971

Crossed post with Mr Fussy!

Edited by Saintslass, 19 April 2014 - 01:14 PM.

#13 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 4,189 posts

Posted 19 April 2014 - 01:15 PM

Brown will choose from:

No Lomax, Walsh, Roby or Walmsley. I think Brown has probably played this one right. We'll have a hard time winning unless Widnes hold players back too, but we can't risk fatigue ahead of the cup tie. It'll be a chance for some of the youngsters to show what they can do anyway.

I don't think Brown ever had any intention of playing our key players at Widnes.  I was of the view that Widnes would be the expendable game.  We could now go through the Easter period without a win which is a shame.  While the young guys will no doubt give it their best shot, there is some serious inexperience in there and so I can imagine them coming unstuck, especially if Brown is on form for Widnes and their fullback gets a run.

#14 MrFussy

MrFussy
  • Coach
  • 1,420 posts

Posted 19 April 2014 - 01:15 PM

I think he had a pretty good idea.  Squad just announced:

Crossed post with Mr Fussy!

:)

What do you think? This puts pressure on a few of our under performers to step up. If any of the young lads put in a better display than LMS in this one then I think he should be dropped for a while.

Edited by MrFussy, 19 April 2014 - 01:16 PM.

#15 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 4,189 posts

Posted 19 April 2014 - 01:17 PM

:)

What do you think? This puts pressure on a few of our under performers to step up. If any of the young lads put in a better display than LMS in this one then I think he should be dropped for a while.!

I agree with you.  He doesn't deserve a place at present.

#16 Chronicler of Chiswick

Chronicler of Chiswick
  • Coach
  • 2,368 posts

Posted 20 April 2014 - 09:31 AM

Saints by 12.

#17 GIANTSTRIDES

GIANTSTRIDES
  • Coach
  • 1,561 posts

Posted 20 April 2014 - 09:39 AM

Saints will win this easilly enough, although Widnes do have a habit of surprising teams, Things not going their way at the moment , Saint just too strong.

Dont expect anything from a pig but a grunt

#18 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 4,189 posts

Posted 20 April 2014 - 12:28 PM

Nathan Brown has amended the squad.  Interesting. 

#19 giwildgo

giwildgo
  • Coach
  • 4,048 posts

Posted 21 April 2014 - 07:25 AM

Saints look vulnerable in this one being under strength, but difficult to back Widnes given how poor they looked on Friday.

Posted Image

oderint dum metuant

#20 GeordieSaint

GeordieSaint
  • Coach
  • 4,687 posts

Posted 21 April 2014 - 08:22 AM

Might be harsh as it's not like I'm out there playing, but I can't help but feel disappointed with them right now.

You aren't the only one and it's now Easter Monday... Absolutely gutted at the spineless second half performance by some on Friday. They need a big improvement today or Widnes will give us a thumping on their iPitch. I want to see some passion and commitment which was not evident on Friday.

Kings Lynn Black Knights Rugby League Club - http://www.pitchero....nnblackknights/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users