Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Leigh match

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 steve wild

steve wild
  • Coach
  • 573 posts

Posted 18 April 2014 - 02:37 PM

Plenty of honest endeavour, but mistakes on first tackle and a penalty count (which was about 0-12 at one point I think??) didn't help. A few injuries especially in centres is a bit if a worry also. Leigh by far best team we've faced all season, but can't help but feel we contributed to our own downfall. Dust down and prepare now for Keighley.

#2 RIGGY

RIGGY
  • Coach
  • 1,757 posts

Posted 18 April 2014 - 02:46 PM

10-7 Penalties .  6-0 at half time most of them justified too.

#3 LOYALION

LOYALION
  • Coach
  • 886 posts

Posted 18 April 2014 - 02:54 PM

Definitely a weaker side than we usually put out plus the loss of Halliwell after 5 mins (seems like every game) but once again they played for the full 80 mins. Think we're now seeing who our weaker players are.
I wonder if it is a Leigh tactic to constantly pat players on the head when they make a mistake to wind them up? Judging by the number up in disciplinary next week it is! No wonder it kicked off!

"no-one knows what it's like to be the bad man.........behind blue eyes"

#4 steve wild

steve wild
  • Coach
  • 573 posts

Posted 18 April 2014 - 02:55 PM

In that case it was 9-0 early in 2nd half.

#5 steve wild

steve wild
  • Coach
  • 573 posts

Posted 18 April 2014 - 02:58 PM

We understand Halliwell badly injured an arm muscle & Hulme lost a tooth. Not good news.

#6 Westernmancunia

Westernmancunia
  • Players
  • 20 posts

Posted 18 April 2014 - 03:18 PM

Hard to draw too many conclusions from this one. Daft penalties and knock on's just fed the beast that Leigh are . They were always going to win this one. Lions need to win two or three away games somewhere to stand any chance of survival and Rochdale are up soon. By way of comparison Hornets came within 6 points of Leigh in the Cup and 12 in the League recently .I would have had them down as a possible away win but that looks pretty unlikely on current form. I just hope today they got all the mistakes out of the system for the next couple of games . 

#7 duffymoon

duffymoon
  • Coach
  • 2,566 posts

Posted 18 April 2014 - 03:29 PM

Rochdale have smashed North Wales today!

#8 TIM THE LION

TIM THE LION
  • Coach
  • 365 posts

Posted 18 April 2014 - 03:35 PM

Did we deliberately play a weakened team or do we really have that many injuries? We must be the unluckiest team in the league with injuries.

Nobody made a greater mistake than he who did nothing because he could only do a little.

Edmund Burke

#9 Blue Monkey

Blue Monkey
  • Coach
  • 1,708 posts

Posted 18 April 2014 - 04:15 PM

...but once again they played for the full 80 mins. 

At least I'd give them full marks for effort. Another gutsy performance albeit not very fruitful in the long run.

Once more they played as their nickname implies, lions, all of them.

Even a bonus point was never really on the cards today against easily the strongest side in our division.

Come on lads! Let's murder Keighley next Saturday.

#10 MiBoy

MiBoy
  • Players
  • 88 posts

Posted 18 April 2014 - 04:52 PM

Leigh are a very good side but we gifted them field position with penalties and coughing up the ball then all we are doing for most of the game is defending!!! We need to tighten up on the fringes and cut out the silly penalties. Roll on keighley!!!

#11 wberry2013

wberry2013
  • Coach
  • 108 posts

Posted 18 April 2014 - 05:09 PM

The best team definitely won today, .however our unforced errors and stupid penalties will be the reason we go down if we don't fix it soon, I think Watson could cut his own out and maybe the team will follow suit and I'm sorry to name a player but Watkins is simply not good enough, his defence is awful. He should never play centre

Cut the errors out and we can win on Saturday

Wayne

#12 RIGGY

RIGGY
  • Coach
  • 1,757 posts

Posted 18 April 2014 - 05:48 PM

Liam Hulme was top tackler and when I left the ground they were trying to find an emergency dentist to replace his two missing front teeth which he had in a glass !!

#13 TIM THE LION

TIM THE LION
  • Coach
  • 365 posts

Posted 18 April 2014 - 05:52 PM

I agree we were exposed far too much down that side agree that Watkins gets exposed at centre and is of more use at SR but I don't think the positioning of Walker helped very much. Penny was having to constantly come across from his wing to cover and Leigh scored most of their points down that side by simply slinging it out fast nothing special and they bore fruit nearly every time. Not good enough I'm afraid

Nobody made a greater mistake than he who did nothing because he could only do a little.

Edmund Burke

#14 wayne_r

wayne_r
  • Coach
  • 374 posts

Posted 18 April 2014 - 06:25 PM

I do think we are struggling for centres and today our weakness down the right was exposed time and time again - to the point where Darren Hawkyard was switched from 2nd row to right centre. The team never gave up which is a testament to the team spirit and fitness.

Johnson sadly lost his temper after being antagonised throughout - so now I assume he will be banned for several matches as I counted him launching at least 6 punches......

Penny was again outstanding and I think the pack competed well.

I hope we can strengthen the centres for  Keighley - but with Halliwell definitely out as it looked like he has torn a muscle and I do not know of Nanyn is near fitness.........I think we will be struggling. 

#15 LOYALION

LOYALION
  • Coach
  • 886 posts

Posted 18 April 2014 - 06:42 PM

Another one of the negative aspects of dr Im afraid. Apparently O'brien (who had a blinder today and was my M.O.M) and Riley were called into the Wire side this morning otherwise they may have turned out for us again plus Dwyer was sat twiddling his thumbs in the crowd. That means players who haven't played recently had to step up today against an unbeaten side. How many changes from last week?
In the end we had a bad day at the office but that doesn't mean we will next Saturday, after all, we are the Lions!!!!!

#16 budgiezilla

budgiezilla
  • Coach
  • 183 posts

Posted 19 April 2014 - 12:15 PM

That Luke Menzies is a BIG beggar, would hate him running at me !

again impressed with Hawkyard (the one in second row no 12?) always gives 110%.

#17 Bryce

Bryce
  • Coach
  • 911 posts

Posted 19 April 2014 - 01:20 PM

The defence wasn't up to it yesterday. Leigh are the best team in the league, but they didn't have to get out of third gear to beat us. The mistakes and silly penalties just gifted them easy field position.

kev Penny's tries were the best in the match IMO. Great kicks through from Ormsby and Ackers. Ormsby looked a far better player than he was last season, great to see some progression with him. Again, how is Kev not in the wire squad every week? I make it ten consecutive league matches that he's scored in now. 12 tries in 10 games is unreal. Does anyone know the current Lions record for tries in consecutive league games?

Barrow and Whitehaven at the end of 2013. Halifax, Sheffield, NW Crusaders, Featherstone, Leigh, Barrow, Workington and Dewsbury so far this season.

#18 wayne_r

wayne_r
  • Coach
  • 374 posts

Posted 19 April 2014 - 04:05 PM

We all think the same about Penny - not only is he by far the best winger in this division he is so committed to playing for the Lions, so while he deserves a place in the Warrington side it would be a real shame to lose him - I guess he will get his chance against Doncaster in the cup ( I think Warrington play Doncaster in the next round don't they ?).

He motivates the whole team - must be good to play along side him.........

#19 LOYALION

LOYALION
  • Coach
  • 886 posts

Posted 19 April 2014 - 04:21 PM

His chance may have arrived!

#20 Peewagg

Peewagg
  • Players
  • 59 posts

Posted 20 April 2014 - 10:10 AM

Leigh played simple, flowing rugby - at a pace! They used the ball and plenty of width, rather than trying to batter their way up the middle. Makes good sense to me!
Bags of effort from our boys, but too many daft penalties and errors handed Leigh plenty of cheap yardage.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users