Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

SUPERB

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#21 The Collector

The Collector
  • Players
  • 88 posts

Posted 23 April 2014 - 06:44 AM

I think Clive was concentrating on chastising our performance; I'm not sure there was any sour grapes regarding how Rochdale performed. You won at a canter and 'outplayed us in every department' - and that is on the NWC website for all to read.

I doubt very much that Clive Griffiths will complain about Saints players when we have loan Widnes players on the books at Crusaders. Plus that would just be making excuses for what was a dreadful performance from our players.

I was at the ground and heard scores being announced all the way through the game - whichever side scored - perhaps you guys were celebrating so loudly you just missed the announcements. They definitely were made and you could hear them quite clearly in the library-quiet section of the Cru support!! We definitely don't go in for bad manners at Crusaders and are rightly proud of our friendly welcome to all opposition supporters.

My original post was not clear for which I apologise.

You are correct that your announcer did give the score on each occasion, but my gripe was that he never once announced the names of Hornets individual scorers, which in my opinion was extremely poor.
It's the first time I can ever remember that happening!!!

Regarding my comment about Mr Griffith, it was tongue in cheek after all the whinging he did last season about DL, only to find that this season he has joined the DL brigade.

We look forward to welcome in you all tomSpotland later in the year.

#22 gogledd

gogledd
  • Coach
  • 709 posts

Posted 23 April 2014 - 05:08 PM

I will certainly pass on your comments to the guy who does the announcements. I would think the only explanation I can think of is that he didn't have a team sheet but that's a poor show from our pitchside announcer, if that is true. I know the scores were definitely announced and normally the scorers are announced as they happen.

I am sure there was no intent to upset anyone and can only assure you your comments will be passed on to ensure this doesn't happen again.

#23 gogledd

gogledd
  • Coach
  • 709 posts

Posted 23 April 2014 - 07:26 PM

OK.  As promised I have been in touch with the club and here the reply I have received from the pitch side announcer:

I do my level best to make sure the scorers are announced for both sides and did announce a good few at the start - but a combination of factors cocked this up!

The main one being my team sheet blew away at the start of the second half and no one had a replacement! It wasn't intentional and I did do my best with the score updates etc.

I also hate it when announcers get it wrong so I'd rather not guess.

So it right there was no scorers for the second half where they scored most of their tries.

Hopefully this explains why there were no scorers announced. I hope you don't think there was any poor sportsmanship or bad manners extended toward Rochdale Hornets.

Edited by gogledd, 23 April 2014 - 07:28 PM.

#24 The Collector

The Collector
  • Players
  • 88 posts

Posted 24 April 2014 - 08:00 AM

OK.  As promised I have been in touch with the club and here the reply I have received from the pitch side announcer:

I do my level best to make sure the scorers are announced for both sides and did announce a good few at the start - but a combination of factors cocked this up!
The main one being my team sheet blew away at the start of the second half and no one had a replacement! It wasn't intentional and I did do my best with the score updates etc.
I also hate it when announcers get it wrong so I'd rather not guess.
So it right there was no scorers for the second half where they scored most of their tries.

Hopefully this explains why there were no scorers announced. I hope you don't think there was any poor sportsmanship or bad manners extended toward Rochdale Hornets.

Hi Gogledd,

Many thanks for clarifying the situation for me.

It's good to know that Crusaders care about these type of comments and importantly have give a proper reason.

No hard feelings whatsoever and I look forward to seeing you later in the year.

#25 Hornetto

Hornetto
  • Coach
  • 3,147 posts

Posted 24 April 2014 - 05:25 PM

I was at the ground and heard scores being announced all the way through the game - whichever side scored...

Sorry - I was there too and didn't hear any announcements on any Hornets' scorers, because it took us a while to work out that it was Chris Baines who scored early doors.

Edited by Hornetto, 24 April 2014 - 05:27 PM.

Posted Image
These Lads Can Run for 80 Minutes - the infamous Hornets fanzine is back from the dead: and just as biased as ever!
Match reports, previews and other stuff that comes into our heads at
http://theseladscanr...ns.blogspot.com

#26 gogledd

gogledd
  • Coach
  • 709 posts

Posted 25 April 2014 - 07:58 PM

Sorry - I was there too and didn't hear any announcements on any Hornets' scorers, because it took us a while to work out that it was Chris Baines who scored early doors.

I have done what I can and actually contacted the bloke who made the announcements on the day. His reply is posted. If you don't believe what he said that's your prerogative but I know him well enough to believe his statement and that he's been genuinely contrite about his lack of announcements on the day in the second half.