Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

haven reaction

• Please log in to reply
118 replies to this topic

#1 town4me

town4me
  • Workington
  • 1,803 posts

Posted 18 April 2014 - 04:08 PM

I have never seen so many unforced errors by a team. I dont know how we were in it as long as we were. Its just a good job we were playing whitehaven as a good side would have put a cricket score on us today. We handed them so much ball and field position it was unbelievable.

#2 Derwent

Derwent
  • Coach
  • 7,809 posts

Posted 18 April 2014 - 04:19 PM

You're not going to beat anyone with a set completion rate of only 40%, that's a shocking statistic at any level of the game.

Workington Town. Then. Now. Always.

#3 town4me

town4me
  • Workington
  • 1,803 posts

Posted 18 April 2014 - 04:25 PM

Yes 40% is shocking and its very frustrating as they were there for the taking but we handed them it on a plate.

#4 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 5,420 posts

Posted 18 April 2014 - 04:30 PM

It always seems like Groundhog Day ? We have seen it before , over and over . Even games we've won have been an effort due to errors and bluntness . So many teams are there to be beaten - the fact we can't nail them tells it's own tale . And we can go back a long way before this season . A town shirt seems to have an effect on the people in them ? A bloke today said to me that both teams were championship one teams .

Edited by DavidM, 18 April 2014 - 04:32 PM.

#5 town4me

town4me
  • Workington
  • 1,803 posts

Posted 18 April 2014 - 04:36 PM

It always seems like Groundhog Day ? We have seen it before , over and over . Even games we've won have been an effort due to errors and bluntness . So many teams are there to be beaten - the fact we can't nail them tells it's own tale . And we can go back a long way before this season . A town shirt seems to have an effect on the people in them ? A bloke today said to me that both teams were championship one teams .

I would agree with your last sentence david.It was far from championship standard it was down right poor. I have seen better amateur games.

Edited by town4me, 18 April 2014 - 04:41 PM.

#6 Mc1

Mc1
  • Players
  • 4 posts

Posted 18 April 2014 - 04:45 PM

As a Haven fan at today's game got to agree with the above, neither teams are good enough to play competative rugby at this level - I worry about the future of professional RL in this area.
However I'm maybe forgetting about the RFLP master plan !!!!.

#7 Keith T

Keith T
  • Coach
  • 8,705 posts

Posted 18 April 2014 - 04:51 PM

Do we do any ball work in training or is it simply going over and over certain routines? Our ball handling is not even amateur standard, some Under 16 teams can handle it better than we are at present!!

I remember when .............................

"It is impossible not to feel a twinge of sympathy for Workington Town, the fall guys this season for the Super League's determination to retain it's European dimension, in the shape of Paris. While the French have had every assistance to survive, the importance of having a flagship in a heartland area like West Cumbria has been conveniently forgotten." - Dave Hadfield - Independent 25th August 1996.

#8 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 5,420 posts

Posted 18 April 2014 - 04:57 PM

How many halves and huge swathes of games have we not scored a single point ? From leading positions we hit a brick wall and can't manage a single thing . Every try is like getting blood from a stone. . It's painful

#9 Oneday

Oneday
  • Coach
  • 1,058 posts

Posted 18 April 2014 - 04:58 PM

I'm almost too depressed to post......

#10 unicorn106

unicorn106
  • Coach
  • 1,150 posts

Posted 18 April 2014 - 05:03 PM

Have to agree with Town4me an half decent side would have butched us today, I've never seen so many unforced errors. It's a good job Haven didn't know what to do with the field position and posession we were giving them, You couldn't fault our lad's effort, some of the tackling was heroic, I thought we were going to hang on for the win at one point but tiredness took it's toll. We need a leader on the pitch ASAP we look rudderless  when we have good attacking position.

haven deserved to win but we handed it to them on a plate.

#11 GeordieTownie

GeordieTownie
  • Coach
  • 1,144 posts

Posted 18 April 2014 - 05:07 PM

The worry is how do we go from playing so well against Sheffield to being so poor today? If we'd played like we did on Sunday we'd have won by the sound of it

#12 wonky

wonky
  • Coach
  • 4,214 posts

Posted 18 April 2014 - 05:14 PM

Everyone surely has to see now that since charlo has gone and vievers has come in we haven't improved in the slightest, in fact i would say we've gone backwards. Champ 1 bound I'm afraid.
the futures bright,the futures blue and white

#13 town4me

town4me
  • Workington
  • 1,803 posts

Posted 18 April 2014 - 05:17 PM

Do we do any ball work in training or is it simply going over and over certain routines? Our ball handling is not even amateur standard, some Under 16 teams can handle it better than we are at present!!

what they do in training is getting questionable. I am getting a little sick of hearing this "we made bad choices" crack. Shouldn't these bad choices be addressed in training. Coz as long as these bad choices persist we aren't going to improve.

Edited by town4me, 18 April 2014 - 05:19 PM.

#14 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 5,420 posts

Posted 18 April 2014 - 05:18 PM

Under Charlo we played basic but structured rugby off a powerful four man prop rotation . Everything was off that , and that masked some deficiencies . We've lost that , so need to change our game . The yards we used to make took some strain off the halves - now the onus is more on them . But we don't have the overall skill or sharpness there or elsewhere to get the job done a different way . And either way you look to play becomes irrelevant if you're error strewn anyway ! We either get that level of prop back and revert to type ... Or find a string puller to kick start a more expansive game . Those holes are glaring .

Edited by DavidM, 18 April 2014 - 05:20 PM.

#15 GeordieTownie

GeordieTownie
  • Coach
  • 1,144 posts

Posted 18 April 2014 - 05:25 PM

what they do in training is getting questionable. I am getting a little sick of hearing this "we made bad choices" crack. Shouldn't these bad choices be addressed in training. Coz as long as these bad choices persist we aren't going to improve.

You can't replicate the pressure of a game in training it's impossible however you set it up.

#16 wonky

wonky
  • Coach
  • 4,214 posts

Posted 18 April 2014 - 05:36 PM

Can someone please explain what Lupton does on the field, because today he was non existent. We don't have a half back who can kick the ball and that includes Callum. Forbers kicking today was dreadful, and again vievers moves Murphy to full back over carter. Dreadful today I'm afraid.
the futures bright,the futures blue and white

#17 Derwent

Derwent
  • Coach
  • 7,809 posts

Posted 18 April 2014 - 05:38 PM

Vievers reckons a lot of our players have poor fitness levels and that they're making these mistakes through fatigue.

Workington Town. Then. Now. Always.

#18 Keith T

Keith T
  • Coach
  • 8,705 posts

Posted 18 April 2014 - 05:49 PM

They were fatigued today from their own errors and having to defend a lot more than they would have liked.

I tell you what, I would like a tenner for every post that has been repeated over and over again on here since last year and we are no further forward.

I remember when .............................

"It is impossible not to feel a twinge of sympathy for Workington Town, the fall guys this season for the Super League's determination to retain it's European dimension, in the shape of Paris. While the French have had every assistance to survive, the importance of having a flagship in a heartland area like West Cumbria has been conveniently forgotten." - Dave Hadfield - Independent 25th August 1996.

#19 Death to the Rah Rah's

Death to the Rah Rah's
  • Coach
  • 466 posts

Posted 18 April 2014 - 05:54 PM

The players didn't look fit and looked like 13 strangers. Very poor going forward and with the exception of a couple of fine tries it was very basic one man rugby. I wouldn't have minded if the forwards were hitting the line with some speed, but taking the ball standing, then doing a little jiggle before driving the ball in was very very poor.
Whitehaven were the better outfit and deserved the win. I think it's fair to say that you will catch a better game of rugby locally on a Saturday afternoon, and with championship one rugby beckoning is where I'll be after this season.
Cumbrian rugby league staring into the abyss! Well not quite yet, but we are edging ever closer to the edge!

#20 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 5,420 posts

Posted 18 April 2014 - 05:54 PM

We're getting fatigued by halftime a lot then . Total red herring . We have shocking basic skill levels - minute one or minute 80 . We used to boast about our conditioning but still dropped the ball didn't we ? Poor if we're coming out with that level of guff . For to long we struggle to execute out on the pitch , or show the required level of sharpness and skill . It's quality Im afraid . Running round a thousand times isn't gonna help you catch a simple pass . Strength and stamina to compete - yes , but not level one skills .The point about what we do from Sunday to Sunday is an intriguing one, because it often looks like either not much or it's not sinking in

Edited by DavidM, 18 April 2014 - 06:02 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users