Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

haven reaction

• Please log in to reply
118 replies to this topic

#21 maripins

maripins
  • Players
  • 49 posts

Posted 18 April 2014 - 06:10 PM

Under Charlo we played basic but structured rugby off a powerful four man prop rotation . Everything was off that , and that masked some deficiencies . We've lost that , so need to change our game . The yards we used to make took some strain off the halves - now the onus is more on them . But we don't have the overall skill or sharpness there or elsewhere to get the job done a different way . And either way you look to play becomes irrelevant if you're error strewn anyway ! We either get that level of prop back and revert to type ... Or find a string puller to kick start a more expansive game . Those holes are glaring .

I think Charlo must  have been told we weren't going to replace three quality props we lost so he called it a day.Just my opinion, but it was strange to walk

after the first home match saying he'd took the team as far as he could.

#22 wonky

wonky
  • Coach
  • 4,623 posts

Posted 18 April 2014 - 06:15 PM

I think Charlo must have been told we weren't going to replace three quality props we lost so he called it a day.Just my opinion, but it was strange to walk
after the first home match saying he'd took the team as far as he could.

the fact is staying as we were would have been better than we are now. I think the recruitment team has a lot to answer for, letting the lads leave and replace them with nothing has made it an impossible job. With our side last year a top 8 finish would have been achievable, this year it's impossible. Haven are poor, sadly we are even worse.
the futures bright,the futures blue and white

#23 Aubrey Boyce

Aubrey Boyce
  • Players
  • 43 posts

Posted 18 April 2014 - 06:16 PM

As a view from the other side if your coach is saying your not fit enough what does it say about Matty Jono sure that isn't going to inspire him to get your team any fitter. Today's game the first 30 mins was a real humdinger of a game both teams getting stuck in then for the next 40 min it was pretty poor by both teams each looking for a leader in attack which hopefully haven have to come in. Don't think your DR players bring anything to your team carter is wasted on the wing not sure what position the other 2 are but surely you have town players that can play there.

#24 town4me

town4me
  • Workington
  • 2,020 posts

Posted 18 April 2014 - 06:56 PM

The players didn't look fit and looked like 13 strangers. Very poor going forward and with the exception of a couple of fine tries it was very basic one man rugby. I wouldn't have minded if the forwards were hitting the line with some speed, but taking the ball standing, then doing a little jiggle before driving the ball in was very very poor.
Whitehaven were the better outfit and deserved the win. I think it's fair to say that you will catch a better game of rugby locally on a Saturday afternoon, and with championship one rugby beckoning is where I'll be after this season.
Cumbrian rugby league staring into the abyss! Well not quite yet, but we are edging ever closer to the edge!

being the better outfit wasn't difficult for them really and they weren't much better. Anyone who is against the review of cumbrian RL needs to sit and watch the DVD of todays shambles

#25 Haven2010

Haven2010
  • Players
  • 39 posts

Posted 18 April 2014 - 07:34 PM

Let me get this right your players are too unfit, but last Thursday you had Paul Johnson and a fitness team up too put you threw your paces, outcome you were really fit and well conditioned so that's 1 excuse put too bed, you ridicule us for not hammering you today, so what we got the 3 points and you never, stop worrying about how bad we are and worry about yourselfs we had no dr and a player your club deemed finished you need to wake up Charlo left for a reason and you seen it today you are puppets for Wigan and you can't stand us beating you think you will find we will be in the championship next year and you will back too were you belong 1 good season last year and yer world beaters get a grip

#26 GeordieTownie

GeordieTownie
  • Coach
  • 1,353 posts

Posted 18 April 2014 - 07:45 PM

Both teams will be in Champ 1

#27 town blue

town blue
  • Players
  • 60 posts

Posted 18 April 2014 - 07:48 PM

We were the better, smarter team today for 60 minutes and then the rot set in with unforced errors. I agree with PV by this period we should have been further ahead on the scoreboard. People posting on here saying we are no better than last season must be watching a diffferent team. We are now attemping to play attacking rugby with structure and set moves, which is hell of a lot better than ploughing up the middle with one man rugby. With several additions to the squad I think we will turn the corner.

#28 town4me

town4me
  • Workington
  • 2,020 posts

Posted 18 April 2014 - 07:50 PM

Let me get this right your players are too unfit, but last Thursday you had Paul Johnson and a fitness team up too put you threw your paces, outcome you were really fit and well conditioned so that's 1 excuse put too bed, you ridicule us for not hammering you today, so what we got the 3 points and you never, stop worrying about how bad we are and worry about yourselfs we had no dr and a player your club deemed finished you need to wake up Charlo left for a reason and you seen it today you are puppets for Wigan and you can't stand us beating you think you will find we will be in the championship next year and you will back too were you belong 1 good season last year and yer world beaters get a grip

enjoy your win marra but we had a stinker. in all honesty you weren't much better. You were there for the taking really but with persistent errors it was handed on a plate. given the field position and ball you had you did nothing with it really. A decent championship team would have beaten you comfortably today.

#29 wonky

wonky
  • Coach
  • 4,623 posts

Posted 18 April 2014 - 08:18 PM

We were the better, smarter team today for 60 minutes and then the rot set in with unforced errors. I agree with PV by this period we should have been further ahead on the scoreboard. People posting on here saying we are no better than last season must be watching a diffferent team. We are now attemping to play attacking rugby with structure and set moves, which is hell of a lot better than ploughing up the middle with one man rugby. With several additions to the squad I think we will turn the corner.

im sorry but were nowhere near to being as good as we were last year, results confirm this. Yes we might be trying things out, but we're not pulling them off.

#30 town4me

town4me
  • Workington
  • 2,020 posts

Posted 18 April 2014 - 08:27 PM

im sorry but were nowhere near to being as good as we were last year, results confirm this. Yes we might be trying things out, but we're not pulling them off.

we have a significantly weaker pack than last year.

#31 wonky

wonky
  • Coach
  • 4,623 posts

Posted 18 April 2014 - 09:09 PM

exactly, which makes a worse side this year. Anyone saying were a better team than last years is crazy I'm afraid

#32 unicorn106

unicorn106
  • Coach
  • 1,232 posts

Posted 19 April 2014 - 06:50 AM

Unlike your deluded lot we have never thought we were world beaters, and if you think we belong in the championship then on that performance you will be there with us. the only difference between us today was the unforced errors we made and the hoss of a game your prop had, we had no one to give us the go forward that he did. If we can get a fully fit team on the park I'm very confident of winning the return fixture at DP. .

Let's hope you don't get carried away and spend what you haven't got again, you might be changing your name to haven2015. 

#33 The Voodooguru

The Voodooguru
  • Coach
  • 1,082 posts

Posted 19 April 2014 - 07:38 AM

Fair play to Haven they were down to their bones with no DR and they still beat us. They had a prop that put a massive effort in for them, and their PNG guy had a good game.
But I think it shows where we are when we couldn't beat them. In dry conditions our ball retention in that second half was awful. Ok Doran may have helped at least one out but that's no excuse.
Both teams badly lacked any direction on the field, the plus for haven is that they have addressed it and as yet we haven't.
Until McAvoy and Stack came on we weren't really getting our noses through their defence, and we created very little to break their defence. At one point in the first half we had a couple of repeat sets and didn't look like scoring.
The big prop was out on his feet for the last 15 mins and we didn't set any move to target him with quick lads running at him.
I'm not sure what Haven fans think of Doran but IMO he is a horrible @@@@ of a player. He will do anything to try and gain an advantage. Always in the refs ear, always messing about at the PTB doing sly stuff. Then to cap it all when we had a player injured he was shouting at the ref complaining. He has done a good job for them for a few seasons but he doesn't need all the bad sportsman stuff.
The race is not always to the swift nor the battle to the strong, but thats the way to bet!

#34 shaun mc

shaun mc
  • Coach
  • 1,717 posts

Posted 19 April 2014 - 08:10 AM

To only beat a side that had a 40% completion rate at home by 6 points is a telling statistic
Teams that have a 70% completion should be beaten easily
That shows there was nothing between them really and one team isn't a dvision better than the other
Probably both to go down now

#35 town4me

town4me
  • Workington
  • 2,020 posts

Posted 19 April 2014 - 08:56 AM

To only beat a side that had a 40% completion rate at home by 6 points is a telling statistic
Teams that have a 70% completion should be beaten easily
That shows there was nothing between them really and one team isn't a dvision better than the other
Probably both to go down now

well said shaun.

#36 maripins

maripins
  • Players
  • 49 posts

Posted 19 April 2014 - 09:27 AM

I  think we are  as fit as last season.The reason we are running out of steam early is that Thacks and  Acton could make 20-30 mtrs in two drives.We are lucky to make 30mtrs in four drives now. Twice the effort for the same yardage. We don't have any player who can kick us down the field with any purpose. Result- fatigue.

#37 anok4u

anok4u
  • Coach
  • 1,572 posts

Posted 19 April 2014 - 10:46 AM

I think we are as fit as last season.The reason we are running out of steam early is that Thacks and Acton could make 20-30 mtrs in two drives.We are lucky to make 30mtrs in four drives now. Twice the effort for the same yardage. We don't have any player who can kick us down the field with any purpose. Result- fatigue.

Acton would have made all the difference yesterday,personally I don't think forber played that bad the problem he had was our forwards weren't making room for him..
Wasn't it nice though that coach woods got into the bank holiday spirit by dressing in a Demmis roussos dress..
go **** yasell ya little **** gain NL1 then take ya **** out ya dads **** then speak proper rugby talk. you jameating little spotty ****...itchy waa waa 2008...

#38 homeandawayer

homeandawayer
  • Coach
  • 1,154 posts

Posted 19 April 2014 - 10:50 AM

I can't understand people saying our kicking game was poor , apart from one Forber chip through it was the best i've seen it in ages and our goal-line defence was much better. Their two props showed us what we're lacking ...some real go-forward. I don't like to give em praise but the big guy put in a massive stint , his hitup count must've been huge!

Too many handling errors cost us resulting in tiredness at the end. For me there were signs of improvement but we lack quality (where was Gelling?) and there's no bad teams in this league which makes wins hard to come by.

#39 Death to the Rah Rah's

Death to the Rah Rah's
  • Coach
  • 468 posts

Posted 19 April 2014 - 10:52 AM

The result aside, what a disappointing crowd there was. Glorious spring day, no footie on TV yet less than 1500 at the game. What does that say about the general apathy about the pro game. It would be better if both clubs flooded the local area with free tickets for under 16s, at least it would have put a few more bodies on the terraces.
That was my first visit to the Recreation for about 4 seasons and I had forgotten how bad the ground is. It must be one of the worst grounds in the professional game. I know Towns isn't much better, but it is a huge improvement on whitehavens. How both clubs must be kicking themselves at the loss of the opportunity to have new grounds built. If the much lauded consultation comes back and says super league is the only way forward in west Cumbria, what would you do about the ground as neither is suitable for the needs of speccies in the modern game

#40 GeordieTownie

GeordieTownie
  • Coach
  • 1,353 posts

Posted 19 April 2014 - 11:30 AM

The big problem is there's no decent talent to step up from the amateur game and the standard of union is so poor there aren't any players there to step in either.

Both derby games in Championship 1 a few years ago drew over 2k because of the simple fact that both teams were winning most of their games and were competing to be promoted rather than to not be relegated which both probably will anyway.

I also think that town playing in the league below and winning regularly would attract bigger crowds than playing in this league and losing.

There are enough quality players to compete if the 2 sides joined together but unfortunately not enough to stay up as 2 separate teams.