haven reaction

• Please log in to reply
118 replies to this topic

#41 Death to the Rah Rah's

Death to the Rah Rah's
  • Coach
  • 468 posts

Posted 19 April 2014 - 11:36 AM

Plenty of talent playing amateur rl, but have you asked yourself why players would rather stay amateur than sign for town or haven? Lack of ambition on the players part or nothing to aim for in the pro game except the occasional winning pay?

#42 Aubrey Boyce

Aubrey Boyce
  • Players
  • 43 posts

Posted 19 April 2014 - 12:19 PM

Acton would have made all the difference yesterday,personally I don't think forber played that bad the problem he had was our forwards weren't making room for him..
Wasn't it nice though that coach woods got into the bank holiday spirit by dressing in a Demmis roussos dress..

Why the personnel attack on woods you don't see anyone calling Vievers a miserable so and so

#43 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 6,285 posts

Posted 19 April 2014 - 12:27 PM

Quite right ... It's a kaftan not a dress ...

#44 GeordieTownie

GeordieTownie
  • Coach
  • 1,415 posts

Posted 19 April 2014 - 12:37 PM

Plenty of talent playing amateur rl, but have you asked yourself why players would rather stay amateur than sign for town or haven? Lack of ambition on the players part or nothing to aim for in the pro game except the occasional winning pay?

Barring a few at Wath Brow there isn't much.

#45 town4me

town4me
  • Workington
  • 2,062 posts

Posted 19 April 2014 - 01:07 PM

I can't understand people saying our kicking game was poor , apart from one Forber chip through it was the best i've seen it in ages and our goal-line defence was much better. Their two props showed us what we're lacking ...some real go-forward. I don't like to give em praise but the big guy put in a massive stint , his hitup count must've been huge!

Too many handling errors cost us resulting in tiredness at the end. For me there were signs of improvement but we lack quality (where was Gelling?) and there's no bad teams in this league which makes wins hard to come by.

sorry i would have to disagree our kicking was poor IMO.we were caught twice with the ball on last tackle and once we let them close us down easily and get the charge down, On a dry day with not much wind we didn't try a single attempt at a 40/20 all the game something that would gave earned us the yards that the forwards simply couldn't make. That would have helped with the fatigue. Lupton forber and connor on the pitch and not one 40/20 attempt. Maybe thats them bad choices that keep getting mentioned.

Edited by town4me, 19 April 2014 - 01:11 PM.

#46 wonky

wonky
  • Coach
  • 4,665 posts

Posted 19 April 2014 - 01:17 PM

sorry i would have to disagree our kicking was poor IMO.we were caught twice with the ball on last tackle and once we let them close us down easily and get the charge down, On a dry day with not much wind we didn't try a single attempt at a 40/20 all the game something that would gave earned us the yards that the forwards simply couldn't make. That would have helped with the fatigue. Lupton forber and connor on the pitch and not one 40/20 attempt. Maybe thats them bad choices that keep getting mentioned.

i think we only got 1 repeat set off a kick and even our 1st try that was result of a kick only came about because of a clanger from haven. Our kicking was slightly better than normal, but that's not a positive to take as our kicking is generally dreadful.
the futures bright,the futures blue and white

#47 kiln7

kiln7
  • Coach
  • 845 posts

Posted 19 April 2014 - 01:25 PM

Most of our kicking is awfull, every  kick we seem to kick it flat where most teams give it has mutch height as possible then most times its a 50/50 ball in fact i think it gives the winger running in a big advantage, these flat kicks are going right down the fullbacks or wingers throat 

#48 town blue

town blue
  • Players
  • 60 posts

Posted 19 April 2014 - 02:07 PM

At the end of the day its down to opinions, my memories of last season were 3 or 4 drives down the middle (remember posts on here of the backs getting no service & starved of the ball) followed by a hopeful off-load or kick. We are by no means the finished product but I for one can see an improvement in moving the ball. Things will hopefully get better when our key players return to match fitness, Ellliot returns and hopefully we sign at least three players (like Barrow) of our own for the rest of the season as we can't rely on Wigan and DR.

#49 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 6,285 posts

Posted 19 April 2014 - 02:16 PM

But is there anything in the pipeline ? Are we close to , looking or even able to sign three , or any , players of our own on contract ? A few of us have heard before that it's all down to DR or loan , so let's see ?

#50 wonky

wonky
  • Coach
  • 4,665 posts

Posted 19 April 2014 - 02:21 PM

At the end of the day its down to opinions, my memories of last season were 3 or 4 drives down the middle (remember posts on here of the backs getting no service & starved of the ball) followed by a hopeful off-load or kick. We are by no means the finished product but I for one can see an improvement in moving the ball. Things will hopefully get better when our key players return to match fitness, Ellliot returns and hopefully we sign at least three players (like Barrow) of our own for the rest of the season as we can't rely on Wigan and DR.

i think it will be too late by the time ell returns. He's a good while off. Last year we weren't great but we won, this year were still poor but are losing. Give me last years performances anytime.
the futures bright,the futures blue and white

#51 gillmeister

gillmeister
  • Coach
  • 1,218 posts

Posted 19 April 2014 - 02:40 PM

Barring a few at Wath Brow there isn't much.

Sam Forrester
Troy Armstrong
Karl Dixon
Lewis Beckwith
Scott Akehurst
Ross Ainley
Fran King
Danny Morrow

That's a list of players who could do a job for Town without me even switching my brain on
Forget Chuck and Chad I am the real legend killer

#52 The Voodooguru

The Voodooguru
  • Coach
  • 1,097 posts

Posted 19 April 2014 - 03:24 PM

Why the personnel attack on woods you don't see anyone calling Vievers a miserable so and so

Have a look on your own deluded fans forum and you will find you are wrong Boycie. H4E/ BKM among others with his all things Town obsession does call Vievers something along those lines.
The race is not always to the swift nor the battle to the strong, but thats the way to bet!

#53 GeordieTownie

GeordieTownie
  • Coach
  • 1,415 posts

Posted 19 April 2014 - 03:28 PM

Do you seriously think they could step up and play Championship Rugby? Because other than a couple of them the majority of coaches I've spoken to in West Cumbria don't.

#54 GeordieTownie

GeordieTownie
  • Coach
  • 1,415 posts

Posted 19 April 2014 - 03:29 PM

But is there anything in the pipeline ? Are we close to , looking or even able to sign three , or any , players of our own on contract ? A few of us have heard before that it's all down to DR or loan , so let's see ?

Did you buy a programme and read the coaches notes at the Sheffield game? If so the answer to that question was in it

#55 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 6,285 posts

Posted 19 April 2014 - 03:36 PM

If he explained all those points and confusions we've done to death here I wish I had

Edited by DavidM, 19 April 2014 - 03:37 PM.

#56 The Voodooguru

The Voodooguru
  • Coach
  • 1,097 posts

Posted 19 April 2014 - 03:41 PM

Most of our kicking is awfull, every kick we seem to kick it flat where most teams give it has mutch height as possible then most times its a 50/50 ball in fact i think it gives the winger running in a big advantage, these flat kicks are going right down the fullbacks or wingers throat

Agree with you Abu, I think it would be worthwhile for the likes of Buffer and Kayle to either spend a bit of time at Wigan going through some kicking training with their lads or invite somebody like Briers or Holty up to do a couple of sessions so they can pick a few tips up.
The race is not always to the swift nor the battle to the strong, but thats the way to bet!

#57 Keith T

Keith T
  • Coach
  • 8,976 posts

Posted 19 April 2014 - 03:56 PM

I wouldn't say that the coach answered all the questions but here's what he said, "Obviously the number of injuries (which tend to occur where fitness isn't up to the required standard) we've had to key players hasn't helped, but defensive errors have cost us in the last few games. That said, we are looking at home and abroad and are in the market for an experienced half back to bring a bit more creativity, but until then it's up to the players we have to prove they're worthy of a place in the side regardless of who arrives in the future. Unfortunately, there aren't a huge number of options at this stage of the season in terms of who's available, but we are trying hard to address the situation"

Of course there are good amateurs around but it just depends if they are ambitious or not. Some are quite content to play in the local leagues and have Saturday nights in the pub with their mates rather than take a chance at semi-professional level. From what is said, others seem to be legends in their own heads and want silly money to sign.

I remember when .............................

"It is impossible not to feel a twinge of sympathy for Workington Town, the fall guys this season for the Super League's determination to retain it's European dimension, in the shape of Paris. While the French have had every assistance to survive, the importance of having a flagship in a heartland area like West Cumbria has been conveniently forgotten." - Dave Hadfield - Independent 25th August 1996.

#58 GeordieTownie

GeordieTownie
  • Coach
  • 1,415 posts

Posted 19 April 2014 - 04:16 PM

I would say there'll be plenty of the latter from what I've heard but i suppose some prefer to be a big fish in a small pond.

BARLA have obviously arranged more appealing tours also to keep players from the pro game which is the ridiculous situation you get when the game has more than one governing body. I don't know the history of how it started but it's not the case in soccer or rugby union so they don't have that problem.

Edited by GeordieTownie, 19 April 2014 - 04:17 PM.

#59 kiln7

kiln7
  • Coach
  • 845 posts

Posted 19 April 2014 - 04:55 PM

the lad Cullean think that,s his name, that worked out of haven and is now back at Kells would do a good job for us worth having a look at???

#60 kiln7

kiln7
  • Coach
  • 845 posts

Posted 19 April 2014 - 04:57 PM

I ment WALKED out of Haven.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users