League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

England's potential hookers - what is the pecking order?

lots of quality at no.9

• Please log in to reply
52 replies to this topic

#1 Scubby

Scubby
  • Coach
  • 3,720 posts

Posted 19 April 2014 - 03:46 PM

Fantastic depth at no.9 for England but what order would you put them in?

We have Danny Houghton, Shaun Lunt, James Roby, Daryl Clark, Michael McIlorum, Josh Hodgson and arguably Luke Robinson and Rob Burrow who can all do a fantastic job at 9.

England will probably not take any more than 2/3 on tour. My top 5 in the pecking order would be:

1. James Roby

2. Shaun Lunt

3. Michael McIlorum

4. Daryl Clark

5. Danny Houghton

Roby is still class. Lunt is a try scorer and McIlorum is an enforcer. The real talent emerging is Daryl Clark - probably the nearest to Roby of 6/7 years ago. This lad is lightning quick.

Tough call but great problem to have. How would you call it at this stage?

Edited by Scubby, 19 April 2014 - 08:24 PM.

#2 Scubby

Scubby
  • Coach
  • 3,720 posts

Posted 19 April 2014 - 04:06 PM

Oops forgot Mickey Higham too. Not in the form he was last year so maybe not in the top 5 at the minute. Still a great player though.

#3 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 5,221 posts

Posted 19 April 2014 - 05:20 PM

If you are talking about going on tour, Burrow becomes invaluable because he can play scrum half as well.

#4 MrPosh

MrPosh
  • Coach
  • 3,085 posts

Posted 19 April 2014 - 07:21 PM

I wouldn't have McIlorum in the class of the others.
People called Romans they go the house

#5 Wellsy4HullFC

Wellsy4HullFC
  • Coach
  • 9,734 posts

Posted 19 April 2014 - 07:33 PM

As a Hull fan, I'm a bit disappointed Houghton hasn't kicked on. His distribution really needs to improve if he's to get to the next level.
Posted Image

#6 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,027 posts

Posted 19 April 2014 - 07:57 PM

Fantastic depth at no.9 for England but what order would you put them in?

We have Danny Houghton, Shaun Lunt, James Roby, Daryl Clark, James Roby, Michael McIlorum, Josh Hodgson and arguably Luke Robinson and Rob Burrow who can all do a fantastic job at 9.

England will probably not take any more than 2/3 on tour. My top 5 in the pecking order would be:

1. James Roby

2. Shaun Lunt

3. Michael McIlorum

4. Daryl Clark

5. Danny Houghton

Roby is still class. Lunt is a try scorer and McIlorum is an enforcer. The real talent emerging is Daryl Clark - probably the nearest to Roby of 6/7 years ago. This lad is lightning quick.

Tough call but great problem to have. How would you call it at this stage?

So good you named him twice! :biggrin:

Are you Saintslass in disguise?!

On experience I'd probably agree with McIlorum in bronze, but to me it seems he's a bit of a liability with penalties at playing the enforcer too much. Houghton is forever on the outer, Clark could be splendid. Josh Hodgson could be knocking on the door.

Never rule out Diskin...

*giggles* pfft.

2826856.jpg?type=articleLandscape

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#7 Exiled Wiganer

Exiled Wiganer
  • Coach
  • 5,968 posts

Posted 19 April 2014 - 08:21 PM

McIllorum is perfect for us. The best of the lot if you have play makers at 6, 7 and 13. Yesterday perfectly illustrated the point. If you re watch the 4 big games at the end of last season, you will see how he fared opposite Houghton, Lunt, Burrow and Higham. I'll give you a clue - he did very well.
My England 9 would be Roby. With Clark in reserve on tour as the next big thing. We won't have enough quality elsewhere in the spine for Mc.

#8 roughyedspud

roughyedspud
  • Coach
  • 3,610 posts

Posted 20 April 2014 - 08:56 AM

yep now's the time to start blooding clark as roby's replacement imo

OLDHAM RLFC
the 8TH most successful team in british RL

#9 The Big Gun

The Big Gun
  • Coach
  • 391 posts

Posted 20 April 2014 - 09:04 AM

1. Roby
2. Clark
3. Lunt

Although I think it's a tough shout between Clark and Lunt. Don't think anyone else should be in the frame.

#10 Kenilworth Tiger

Kenilworth Tiger
  • Coach
  • 8,901 posts

Posted 20 April 2014 - 09:42 AM

Daz Clark is as good as any players have seen at Can in years. Definitely the next England hooked in my opinion
Now then, it's a race between Sandie....and Fairburn....and the little man is in........yeees he's in.

I, just like those Castleford supporters felt that the ball should have gone to David Plange but he put the bit betwen his teeth...and it was a try

Kevin Ward - best player I have ever seen

Posted Image

The real Mick Gledhill is what you see on here, a Bradford fan ........, but deep down knows that Bradford are just not good enough to challenge the likes of Leeds & St Helens.

#11 walter sobchak

walter sobchak
  • Coach
  • 1,820 posts

Posted 20 April 2014 - 09:56 AM

If it's 2 hookers then it's Roby and Clark with Lunt if it's 3 going down under for the 4nations. The time has come for the likes of Clark, lomax and walmsley to be blooded.

Edited by walter sobchak, 20 April 2014 - 10:04 AM.

#12 MrFussy

MrFussy
  • Coach
  • 1,441 posts

Posted 20 April 2014 - 10:04 AM

I'd be tempted to start with Lunt and have Roby as an interhcnage player, a bit like the system we used to use at Saints when Cunningham was playing. I wouldn't view that as a demotion for Roby, I just think it might be the most effective use of his excellent running game. I like the thought of him injecting some pace at a time when legs might be tiring.

We really need another hooker at Saints who can interchange with Roby. He's been outstanding this year but is looking completely knackered at the moment.

#13 GIANTSTRIDES

GIANTSTRIDES
  • Coach
  • 1,571 posts

Posted 20 April 2014 - 10:06 AM

1. Roby
2. Clark
3. Lunt

Although I think it's a tough shout between Clark and Lunt. Don't think anyone else should be in the frame.

This for me,  There are others . MM is good but tries to much of the hard man stuff, very much in the Newton mould. DH is a tackling machine, who has played in a very average team for a few years , At Wigan or Leeds he would have been Excellent, Neither one is in Roby's class for me. Higham is a bit too old now but has always been underated , Clark is definitely the future.

Dont expect anything from a pig but a grunt

#14 RSN

RSN
  • Coach
  • 3,974 posts

Posted 20 April 2014 - 10:53 AM

I don't rate MM. His ball distribution is not on the same level as Lunt, Roby, Clarke and Houghton which is vital at the highest level. He doesn't make as many metres as the other 4 when running from dummy half and isn't as intelligent as the other 4. His only plus side is his aggression in his defence but does he average more tackles than the rest? I'm not 100% sure he does.

I'd go Lunt starting with Roby on the bench. Lunt was at the top of his game for the last 18 months (albeit a slight dip at the start of this season) and was IMO the best hooker in the comp. Only didn't get selected for England because the spine was picked in 2011 and Lunt was not on form then and Roby, Burrow and MM were. If Lunts form doesn't improve this year I'd go Roby starting with Clarke on the bench.

I wouldn't haven't Burrow in the squad. He is different but he runs more sideways than forwards. He is also a bit of a liability in defence due to not being able to dominate the collision.

One thing that I think we should do is make sure Houghton, Lunt, Roby and Clarke all play against either NZ or Aus in the 4N to show who really is the best player.

#15 Exiled Wiganer

Exiled Wiganer
  • Coach
  • 5,968 posts

Posted 20 April 2014 - 11:01 AM

No one rates Mickey and yet who out plays him? When was the last time Roby got the better of him? He made more breaks and tackles in the CC Final and GF than his opposite numbers. He's not the man to beat the Aussies or Kiwis but if you want to win 6 trophies in 4 years he's ideal. In tight, big club games he has the runs on the board.

#16 OMEGA

OMEGA
  • Coach
  • 1,221 posts

Posted 20 April 2014 - 11:25 AM

I wouldn't take three out and out hookers so I'd go for
Roby
Clarke
Burrow/Robinson

Lots of depth in this position

#17 GIANTSTRIDES

GIANTSTRIDES
  • Coach
  • 1,571 posts

Posted 20 April 2014 - 01:20 PM

No one rates Mickey and yet who out plays him? When was the last time Roby got the better of him? He made more breaks and tackles in the CC Final and GF than his opposite numbers. He's not the man to beat the Aussies or Kiwis but if you want to win 6 trophies in 4 years he's ideal. In tight, big club games he has the runs on the board.

With all due respect, I do rate MM but i would suggest Roby has more centuries, also he has played in a somewhat average team by Saints standards for a year or two, and is far more versatile IMHO.

Dont expect anything from a pig but a grunt

#18 terrywebbisgod

terrywebbisgod
  • Coach
  • 8,146 posts

Posted 20 April 2014 - 01:55 PM

Isn't Mickey Mac Irish?
Once you have tasted excellence,you cannot go back to mediocrity.

#19 Scubby

Scubby
  • Coach
  • 3,720 posts

Posted 20 April 2014 - 01:59 PM

Isn't Mickey Mac Irish?

I think Daryl Clark has played for Scotland if you want to go down that route.

#20 terrywebbisgod

terrywebbisgod
  • Coach
  • 8,146 posts

Posted 20 April 2014 - 02:05 PM

Just brings up the whole eligibility debate (again)
Once you have tasted excellence,you cannot go back to mediocrity.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users