Photo
- - - - -

Refs thread - How bad are the Refs in NRL?

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 G Las D

G Las D
  • 15,010 posts

Posted 20 April 2014 - 06:08 PM

It looks like I've deleted a thread by Lounge Room Lizard on the incompetence of NRL refs/officias. If so it was an accident on my mobile device while I was trying to add my view. I entered the post twice and in an attempt at deleting my own duplicate post, it looks like I've mistakenly deleted the whole thread. If I have, I apologise. It is a shame too as it was a good thread addressing an important issue of the moment. Eeh what a numpty I am! Sorry LRL, BR and others eho have contributed.

Edited by G Las D, 20 April 2014 - 06:15 PM.

ARLForumstrap2014_zps302d9d20.jpg   

*************** Disciple of Experience **************

#2 G Las D

G Las D
  • 15,010 posts

Posted 20 April 2014 - 06:13 PM

Your views on the poor refs decisions and the way results have been affected are of course welcome.
LRL made a good point. If possible it would be great if you would get it going again, and other contributers. Soz.

Edited by G Las D, 20 April 2014 - 06:16 PM.

#3 Lounge Room Lizard

Lounge Room Lizard
  • Coach
  • 6,518 posts

Posted 20 April 2014 - 08:07 PM

Not a problem mate. I cant remember what I exactly put but will attempt to start a thread again. Been away the past 3 days so didnt even notice to be honest!

How can we have 2 refs, 2 Linesmen plus a ex Player and Official in the video box making so many mistakes that are affecting results? I feel the Storm v Dragons ending was unfortunate and not the fault of the officials as it was split second timing. But the Reffing in other games has been poor. Missing offsides, obstructions and making calls that are clearly wrong like the alleged strip that wasnt. Its not easy being a Ref or Touchie, but at that level you need to be sure and accountable if you are making too many mistakes. On the other hand is the NRL so fast now and the officials under too much pressure that the mistake rate will be high no matter who is out there?  As for the video Refs its even worse. They have the time and technology to make the correct decision. So why are they failing to see obstructions, clear offside and call no tries when the ball has touched the line? I know that they have an Ex Player alongside a Ref making the Video decisions. So thats 2 people who for some reason are missing the obvious. 

I think we have a  game now that has seen too many rule changes every year and one that has so many grey areas that Players, Coaches, Match officials, Fans etc are not sure what the actual rules are. Add to the pressure the match officials are under to make split second decisions on something they are unsure of and often are afraid to make a decision on. Its no wonder we are seeing so many mistakes. I think personally the Refs need to take more responsibility in making a decision. I would get rid of the Video Ref as we now use them and have them only used when a Captain challenges a refs decision. One Captains challenge per Half. I also think the game as a whole - NRL, SL, Internationals, amateur need to get together and have one set of rules for all except the odd ones like 40-20 at amateur level. I think also we need to make the game more simple and possibly slow it down and we must reduce the grey areas. We need an explanation of what obstruction is and how it will be policed for example. Would be good to go for a couple of years without any rule changes after the changes are made. I do feel that changes need to be made but in the right way at the right time and maybe its best at the end of the season. It would be good to hear what others think why we are having so many problems and if they are frustrated as me as why we have so many different rules for different comps etc

Edited by Lounge Room Lizard, 20 April 2014 - 08:44 PM.

#4 Davo5

Davo5
  • Coach
  • 488 posts

Posted 21 April 2014 - 08:15 AM

Does anybody actually know what the obstruction rule is ? It seems it's just a toss of a coin at the minute,the Manly equalising try this weekend was a shocker.

#5 Lounge Room Lizard

Lounge Room Lizard
  • Coach
  • 6,518 posts

Posted 21 April 2014 - 08:45 AM

There was a black and white situation regarding obstruction last year in the NRL. But I think Tony Archer changed it, so that match officiials could use discretion and if a match officiial felt a player had obstructed a defender, but not actually caused any problems in the defensive line, then he could choose to ignore it. I think thats the situation as it stands.

#6 Bourbon Rat

Bourbon Rat
  • Coach
  • 1,835 posts

Posted 21 April 2014 - 09:31 AM

What the 2014 NRL ladder would look like with refereeing blunders taken into account

Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite

and furthermore always carry a small snake - W C Fields

#7 Bourbon Rat

Bourbon Rat
  • Coach
  • 1,835 posts

Posted 21 April 2014 - 11:18 AM

The calm professional

A media interview with Cooper Cronk

At the back end of it he's asked about 'the ref problems'

I like his answers ;)

#8 G Las D

G Las D
  • 15,010 posts

Posted 21 April 2014 - 12:49 PM

Interesting stuff BR.

Refs are versed in the rules, are briefed by a team leader and are backed up by other experienced professional with the benefit of technology and the chance to review action before decisions are final.

Whilst we know they are human, there should be mimimum room for error and yet as LRL and others say these errors not only happen but they have had a clear and unfair effect on the way the ladder looks.

It's not OK to say that these things have a habit of evening out over time.

These officials, and LRL reminds us there's two on the field plus all their back up in Oz, are letting the game down currently.

I don't think it's just that they keep changing the rules.

It's just lack of consistency in both the application of the rules and the interpretation of them.

Now we are over a quarter of the season gone we've seen how so many clubs have taken steps forward on the field. It's wrong that their efforts are thwarted by incompetence from the officials and their employers.

Edited by G Las D, 22 April 2014 - 10:01 AM.

#9 Bourbon Rat

Bourbon Rat
  • Coach
  • 1,835 posts

Posted 22 April 2014 - 08:52 AM

YES WELL ?

Someone has thrown up an unsubtle dig at the 'Archer & officials'

#10 G Las D

G Las D
  • 15,010 posts

Posted 22 April 2014 - 10:40 AM

That person wasn't a Storm fan by any chance was he/she? :jester:

#11 G Las D

G Las D
  • 15,010 posts

Posted 25 April 2014 - 01:15 PM

I don't like having a go at refs. I know they want to do a good job and often.

However the last few weeks has seen a string of poor decisions that have cost suffering teams the game.

Today the officials at Suncorp for the game between Broncos and Souths were abysmal.

There was again a massive blunder at the end which in effect gave Rabbitohs the game via a penalty goal when the scores were tied with just a handful of minutes left.

Kirisome Auva’a's try was given despite a concern by onfield ref about obstruction.

Despite the commentary team  on TV it was for me an obstruction as the defender was prevented from getting to the ball carrier.

Worse still though was to come when Sam Burgess charged down Ben Hunt’s field goal attempt in the 78th minute. Ref Badger then awarded Souths a penalty for a strip in the ensuing tackle.

Bryson Goodwin inexplicably took a quick tap inside his own half and Badger then penalised Parker for tackling him from an off-side position, when the Broncos captain jolted the ball free.

In real time the whole feel of that was wrong.

There goes another game settled by a bad decision. No wonder the Broncos fans and some of the team felt robbed.

Fox Sports NRL web site:

AN extraordinary game ruined by some extraordinary officiating.

The NRL is officially in the midst of a referee crisis after the Brisbane Broncos were robbed blind.

Sportal Web Site:

Another week, another refereeing stuff up. How will the NRL spin this one?

Edited by G Las D, 25 April 2014 - 01:21 PM.

#12 Lounge Room Lizard

Lounge Room Lizard
  • Coach
  • 6,518 posts

Posted 25 April 2014 - 03:50 PM

I have no faith in the Officials or The NRL as they seem more interested in thinking there is no real problem instead of sorting things. I know how hard Reffing and Touch Judging can be and you will make mistakes. But after all that thzey are full time officials who are payed good money to get the decision right with the help of technology. How the hell can Video refs get it Wrong? Why do we have so many Grey area in the game that for example nobody seems to have a clear idea what is obstruction and what is not. I think the use of Video Ref is actually making things worse and the way a Ref says Try or No try but not giving a reason why he thinks so. It just all comes across as poor and nobody at the NRL seems to be admitting things need to be sorted and made clearer so that we all know whats accepted and what not.

#13 Bourbon Rat

Bourbon Rat
  • Coach
  • 1,835 posts

Posted 27 April 2014 - 05:12 AM

I guess we'll have the 'sound of silence' from Archer's rabble in the coming weekend ?

REALLY wouldn't want deliberate mistakes deciding an international would we

:onthequiet:

#14 mcattz62

mcattz62
  • Players
  • 1 posts

Posted 24 May 2014 - 09:47 AM

I have spoken directly to officials in the NRL and it is amazing how they attempt to justify or support the mistakes referees continue to make. Explaining that the referees have "apologised" on occasion for their mistakes, wouldn't it be simpler not to make mistakes. Unfortunately often these mistakes are game changing, so much so that they appear to be favouring one team over another. A case in point is Gavin Badger who undoubtedly favours the Broncos, but also has other "favourites".

The only consistency in the refereeing these days is just how inconsistent they are. why don't they make life easier by making players pass the ball back and make "flat" passes forward, too many forward passes go unchecked, Get rid of the waste of time scrum, explanation for the scrum is to take the forwards out of the game, how many forwards pack into a scrum.

We should either start using the technology available or slow the game down so the officials can keep up. We have a professional league with amateur officials.

I wonder how many more apologies we have to endure?

Edited by mcattz62, 24 May 2014 - 11:26 AM.

#15 mt smart

mt smart
  • Coach
  • 642 posts

Posted 25 May 2014 - 08:20 AM

They are auwful.

No one stands out as a talented Ref you'd prefer for a big game. I think if their is a positive it is that their incompetence gives the air of neutrality.

#16 iglard

iglard
  • Players
  • 16 posts

Posted 26 May 2014 - 07:06 AM

So someone say's Gavin Badger is a cheat.

If a ref is talented, he shouldn't stand out.

#17 G Las D

G Las D
  • 15,010 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 10:09 AM

Eery week there's some displeasure at the refs - on field or in the video box.

Granted the refs are a soft target for disappointed fans.

All the same when the complaints are also against video refs then surely there's a problem.

Here's Noddy's thoughts on the R13 game Knights vs Tigers:

There were some horrible decisions in this game, and as I pointed out in commentary, we’ve got to come up with a way to ensure the video ref is used more consistently. At the moment they interfere with the game for some decisions and not for others. It’s a joke how inconsistent it is and the fans are fed up. People are unsure why they jump in on some occasions and don’t bother overruling on others. The Tyrone Roberts try when Braith Anasta grounded the football while being concussed as he came down with a high ball was also an interesting decision.

It's that word again.

Consistency.

We look for it in refs.

We look for it in the judiciary.

We don't always get it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users