Is a new power rising in the Championship

• Please log in to reply
87 replies to this topic

#1 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 5,221 posts

Posted 20 April 2014 - 11:52 PM

Doncaster, after an away win at Sheffield today are in third place. They have also beaten Featherstone and Batley amongst their wins and are still in the challenge cup. 

Following their two cup Championship 1 season two years ago and making the playoffs last season in their first season at that level flowing their promotion are we witnessing the rise of a new power in the Championship ?

Anyway good luck to the Dons, it's an impressive start.

#2 Railway End

Railway End
  • Coach
  • 492 posts

Posted 21 April 2014 - 07:42 AM

Not sure about them being "a new power" just yet Keighley.

One thing is for sure though, Paul Cooke is certainly continuing the forward momentum started by Tony Miller.

"Rugby League is rugby in the simplest form in the sense that it's about great defence, great tackling technique, good handling, good passing, catching and great kicking."

Stuart Lancaster - England Rugby Union Head Coach - October 2013

#3 Vikingstorm

Vikingstorm
  • Coach
  • 2,934 posts

Posted 21 April 2014 - 07:48 AM

As a Widnes Fan, I have always been in favour of promotion and relegation

The decision to re -introduce it brings a new life blood to fabulous teams like Doncaster, Featherstone, Halifax, Leigh and Sheffield

It means also that teams like Bradford cannot simply move from administration to administration- but have the opportunity also the "re build" elsewhere

The opportunity to re build will present itself to London- the rest is up to them

So back to the point about Doncaster= They have so much potential- they could be the next Huddersfield

[QUOTE]“THE enemy should be in no doubt that we are his Nemesis and that we are bringing about his rightful destruction. There are many regional commanders who have stains on their souls and they are stoking the fires of Hell for Saddam. As they die they will know their deeds have brought them to this place. Show them no pity. But those who do not wish to go on that journey, we will not send. As for the others, I expect you to rock their world.

#4 weighman

weighman
  • Coach
  • 194 posts

Posted 21 April 2014 - 08:58 AM

Early days at the Dons , we are building slowly but surely on the ground work started by Tony Miller.
PC leads by example !

#5 Wellsy4HullFC

Wellsy4HullFC
  • Coach
  • 9,734 posts

Posted 21 April 2014 - 09:17 AM

So back to the point

Indeed. I'm not sure what the rest had to do with the point!
Posted Image

#6 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 17,148 posts

Posted 21 April 2014 - 10:03 AM

Don't know if you could call them a "new power" but to me, it just shows that in many ways the lower leagues whether you call them the Second / Third division, NFP,  National League 1 & 2 or the Championships are in many ways more interesting than Super League.

Edited by Northern Sol, 21 April 2014 - 10:03 AM.

#7 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 19,929 posts

Posted 21 April 2014 - 10:38 AM

"more interesting than Super League"

Hmmm.... lets trust this Doncaster New Dawn is more sustainable that the many previous ones. What is different this time?

#8 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 17,148 posts

Posted 21 April 2014 - 10:41 AM

I think so. The Championships are never dominated by a super team. The sides are always rising and falling.

#9 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 5,221 posts

Posted 21 April 2014 - 10:50 AM

Hmmm.... lets trust this Doncaster New Dawn is more sustainable that the many previous ones. What is different this time?

There is always that shadow hovering over the club but they are not alone in that. Bradford, Wakefield, Keighley, Oldham and  Leigh are in the same boat. Doncaster need to sustain this success, improve their gates and find some more financing in the long term  but, as of now, things look promising

I don't know what is different this time but I live in hope.

#10 GeordieSaint

GeordieSaint
  • Coach
  • 4,757 posts

Posted 21 April 2014 - 10:53 AM

I think so. The Championships are never dominated by a super team. The sides are always rising and falling.

Is that actually the case? In recent times, I am sure Featherstone, Halifax and Sheffield have dominated the trophies with Leigh and Batley occasionally in the mix as well. Sounds not to dissimilar to SL. I've fired from the hip with that so happy to be proved wrong with some actually facts!

Kings Lynn Black Knights Rugby League Club - http://www.pitchero....nnblackknights/

#11 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 5,221 posts

Posted 21 April 2014 - 10:59 AM

Is that actually the case? In recent times, I am sure Featherstone, Halifax and Sheffield have dominated the trophies with Leigh and Batley occasionally in the mix as well. Sounds not to dissimilar to SL. I've fired from the hip with that so happy to be proved wrong with some actually facts!

Yeah, but that's my point. Doncaster have already beaten Featherstone, Sheffield and Batley so the question remains, are they crashing the party ?

#12 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 17,148 posts

Posted 21 April 2014 - 11:01 AM

You don't have to go back too far for Fev and Sheff to have been playing in the bottom division.

Fev promoted to NL1 in 2007

Sheff promoted to NL1 in 2006

Leigh survived relegation to Championship 1 on a technicality fairly recently

Barrow and Whitehaven also finished top of the pile (though Haven didn't win the grand final) both got relegated - Haven (2010) and Barrow (2011).

Edited by Northern Sol, 21 April 2014 - 11:07 AM.

#13 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 5,221 posts

Posted 21 April 2014 - 11:15 AM

You don't have to go back too far for Fev and Sheff to have been playing in the bottom division.

Fev promoted to NL1 in 2007

Sheff promoted to NL1 in 2006

Leigh survived relegation to Championship 1 on a technicality fairly recently

Doncaster, Rochdale, Keighley, Swinton, Whitehaven, Barrow, Crusaders and Workington are also in the upward mobility club so that's 10 out of 14. That;s quite a turnover and this season we will lose five so the division is quite different to the sustained dominance of Leeds, Saints, Wigan and Warrington in SL and the rest retaining their status quo year in year . The only drop outs from the top tier dominance have been Bradford.

#14 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 17,148 posts

Posted 21 April 2014 - 11:37 AM

Doncaster, Rochdale, Keighley, Swinton, Whitehaven, Barrow, Crusaders and Workington are also in the upward mobility club so that's 10 out of 14. That;s quite a turnover and this season we will lose five so the division is quite different to the sustained dominance of Leeds, Saints, Wigan and Warrington in SL and the rest retaining their status quo year in year . The only drop outs from the top tier dominance have been Bradford.

And the only new entrants are Huddersfield and Warrington. Go back to the 2000s or the late 90s and the names on the trophies are almost exactly the same as now (barring the odd Hull FC win). Go forward to the 2020s and probably won't be much different.

With the lower leagues in the same time frame you would see wins by sides like Keighley, Castleford, Salford, Hull, Hunslet, Dewsbury, Widnes and Huddersfield.

There may be four dominant sides at the moment in the Championship but it's unlikely that those four same sides will still be dominating in 10 years' time. Some will be SL sides and others will have been relegated.

Hence Doncaster as a rising power isn't quite a surprise as the rise of Giants and Wire.

#15 Wellsy4HullFC

Wellsy4HullFC
  • Coach
  • 9,734 posts

Posted 21 April 2014 - 12:14 PM

The dominating sides in the lower leagues in the P&R era were usually the varying relegated top tier sides, that's why it changed so often.

Since the abolition of P&R, the same few teams have dominated. I don't see his it is any different to SL? Featherstone, Sheffield, Halifax, Leigh and probably Batley. Any different to Leeds, Saints, Wigan and Warrington over the last few years?

It wasn't so long that Fev and Sheffield were in NL2, but then again it wasn't so long ago that Cas and Hudds were in NL1 and look at them recently.

I think "more interesting" is a very big stretch if it's for the reasons you said!
Posted Image

#16 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 5,221 posts

Posted 21 April 2014 - 12:17 PM

And the only new entrants are Huddersfield and Warrington. Go back to the 2000s or the late 90s and the names on the trophies are almost exactly the same as now (barring the odd Hull FC win). Go forward to the 2020s and probably won't be much different.

With the lower leagues in the same time frame you would see wins by sides like Keighley, Castleford, Salford, Hull, Hunslet, Dewsbury, Widnes and Huddersfield.

There may be four dominant sides at the moment in the Championship but it's unlikely that those four same sides will still be dominating in 10 years' time. Some will be SL sides and others will have been relegated.

Hence Doncaster as a rising power isn't quite a surprise as the rise of Giants and Wire.

The problem is sustaining gains made. Gateshead won CC1, waged an heroic struggle against relegation the next season which they won only to find their backer walked and they had to request relegation and save Leigh's bacon. Doncaster made the old Div 1 but went bankrupt the same season. As you mentioned Haven were one extra time period away from SL and were a power in the Championship for several seasons but eventually went belly up. Barrow were similar.

I hope the Championship clubs are entering a period of stability now, perhaps being helped by extra Sky money and an apparent interest at some clubs by investors, Leigh, Featherstone and Halifax.

I don't know how the CC1 clubs are doing it on the gates some of them are attracting. That division is a big worry to me as I think it's spread of new clubs is an exciting development. This next season with 5 clubs from the Championships entering that league is an unknown territory and there might be some casualties. I hope not though.

#17 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 5,221 posts

Posted 21 April 2014 - 12:20 PM

The dominating sides in the lower leagues in the P&R era were usually the varying relegated top tier sides, that's why it changed so often.

Since the abolition of P&R, the same few teams have dominated. I don't see his it is any different to SL? Featherstone, Sheffield, Halifax, Leigh and probably Batley. Any different to Leeds, Saints, Wigan and Warrington over the last few years?

It wasn't so long that Fev and Sheffield were in NL2, but then again it wasn't so long ago that Cas and Hudds were in NL1 and look at them recently.

I think "more interesting" is a very big stretch if it's for the reasons you said!

Is the success of Cas and the Giants and KR being the top team in Hull ( at the moment ) an endorsement of p and r ? ;)

#18 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 17,148 posts

Posted 21 April 2014 - 12:27 PM

The difference is that Fev and Sheff are two of three sides said to be dominating the Championship. Cas and Giants are doing well but I don't think that even Giants could be said to be among those dominating SL.

The situation is just far more fluid outside SL. It would not surprise me if Sheff, Fev or Leigh were in Championship 1 in 10 years' time. It most certainly would surprise me if Wigan, Saints or Leeds were outside SL in 10 years' time.

#19 Trojan

Trojan
  • Coach
  • 15,051 posts

Posted 21 April 2014 - 12:40 PM

But then Wigan briefly in 1980 apart none of these teams have been out of the top flight in the modern era, ok Saints were in the second division in the 1900's.  Wire also have never been out of the top flight.  Come to think of it until they were excluded from SL 1995 hadn't Widnes always been in the top division?

"Your a one trick pony Trojan" - Parksider 10th March 2013

#20 Scubby

Scubby
  • Coach
  • 3,720 posts

Posted 21 April 2014 - 01:19 PM

I am enjoying seeing both Leigh and Doncaster making excellent progress this year - however, it is with a little bit of measured caution. I would say these clubs would have featured heavily in the top 10 of financially volatile clubs over the last 20 years. It would be great to see stable growth and success at both clubs. Good stadiums, potential support base - a lot of things going for both of them.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users