Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Is a new power rising in the Championship

• Please log in to reply
89 replies to this topic

#41 Ackroman

Ackroman
  • Coach
  • 1,914 posts

Posted 15 July 2014 - 11:36 AM

Why not just pat Donny on the back for achieving a massive result on Sunday.

The need to undermine their achievements and recognise there's quite a bit of talent in the Championships at the moment does you no credit.

#42 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 17,359 posts

Posted 15 July 2014 - 11:57 AM

Why not just pat Donny on the back for achieving a massive result on Sunday.

The need to undermine their achievements and recognise there's quite a bit of talent in the Championships at the moment does you no credit.

Where do you get "Massive result" from.

There were 8 points in it between two good championship sides. Last years same fixture had six points in it?

Dons adjusted to the Championship in style last season losing only two games in the last ten to the same club. They've done well this year too, well done Donny.

#43 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 5,639 posts

Posted 15 July 2014 - 12:01 PM

Where do you get "Massive result" from.

There were 8 points in it between two good championship sides. Last years same fixture had six points in it?

Dons adjusted to the Championship in style last season losing only two games in the last ten to the same club. They've done well this year too, well done Donny.

It's a massive result because Leigh were unbeaten in the league until this point and almost knocked Leeds out of he cup at Headingley to boot.t's a grat win for them.

#44 Ackroman

Ackroman
  • Coach
  • 1,914 posts

Posted 15 July 2014 - 12:12 PM

It's a massive result because Leigh were unbeaten in the league until this point and almost knocked Leeds out of he cup at Headingley to boot.t's a grat win for them.

He clearly knows nothing about RL, or at least no idea how to celebrate it.

#45 Bearman

Bearman
  • Coach
  • 2,470 posts

Posted 15 July 2014 - 12:21 PM

For me one of the biggest hurdles Doncaster face is what's often portrayed as a plus - The Keepmoat.
I'm suffering a bit at the moment with what I hope is a temporary disability.
I walked passed the ticket office to go to the turnstile only to be sent back to buy a ticket, there was no indication that I should purchase one at the ticket office BEFORE going to the entrance.
I was then told that there was no public access to the buffet/bar other than climbing the grandstand steps, so no refreshment for the disabled!
It seems these problems were caused by lazy/inefficient stewards so perhaps that was just a blip.
But with the relatively low crowds Donny get and their share of costs for the stadium upkeep they cannot be making any money through the gate.

They do play attractive rugby though and my concern is their reliance on Paul Cooke Whois playing out of his skin at the moment.
Ron Banks
Bears and Barrow

#46 mickhornet

mickhornet
  • Coach
  • 439 posts

Posted 15 July 2014 - 02:50 PM

With Bradford and London going down this season.It will be interesting to see who goes up and down next year.Bradford have to be nailed on to go right back up.

Cant see anyone else making it.Salford would have probably been in the championship but for Dr Marwan.

Incredible luck.

#47 TheTerminator

TheTerminator
  • Coach
  • 2,036 posts

Posted 15 July 2014 - 09:37 PM

ALL the clubs in the Championship would be strengthened hugely if the prize money for this season was more evenly spread. Giving the top two clubs in the league nearly half a million each (especially the already cash rich Leigh) is ridiculous. Should the money be more fairly divided, then we'd see an even stronger competition.

Posted Image

#48 jpmc

jpmc
  • Coach
  • 519 posts

Posted 15 July 2014 - 10:34 PM

ALL the clubs in the Championship would be strengthened hugely if the prize money for this season was more evenly spread. Giving the top two clubs in the league nearly half a million each (especially the already cash rich Leigh) is ridiculous. Should the money be more fairly divided, then we'd see an even stronger competition.

The way i see it at the moment is,the sport want two more professional clubs so its financing that.

Most other clubs in the championship will be given extra money to help develop players for sl clubs,In other words ,farm clubs are here to stay and the sport is going to finance it.

Several clubs in the championship are stronger this season for being farm clubs.Next season when they get there hands on more money they should be even stronger and in a position to give the top 4 or 5 clubs much tougher games throughout the season

#49 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 5,639 posts

Posted 16 July 2014 - 12:32 AM

For me one of the biggest hurdles Doncaster face is what's often portrayed as a plus - The Keepmoat.
I walked passed the ticket office to go to the turnstile only to be sent back to buy a ticket, there was no indication that I should purchase one at the ticket office BEFORE going to the entrance.
I was then told that there was no public access to the buffet/bar other than climbing the grandstand steps, so no refreshment for the disabled!
It seems these problems were caused by lazy/inefficient stewards so perhaps that was just a blip.
But with the relatively low crowds Donny get and their share of costs for the stadium upkeep they cannot be making any money through the gate.

They do play attractive rugby though and my concern is their reliance on Paul Cooke Whois playing out of his skin at the moment.

The Keepmote is light years ahead of Tattersfield and Rovers former home and galaxies ahead of Stainforth greyhounds and is an ideal facility for the club to move forward but your complaints are genuine and if the Dons are on the ball with their marketing and game day services they will be taken to heart and addressed in a positive manner.

#50 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 5,639 posts

Posted 16 July 2014 - 12:35 AM

I agree and don't forget the parachute payments to reward failure at London and Bradford.

#51 robt

robt
  • Coach
  • 726 posts

Posted 16 July 2014 - 08:23 AM

We managed a win without him in the side on Sunday though... ;)

Rob Terrace - Matchday Photographer / Highlights 'editor', Doncaster RLFC.

#52 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 20,120 posts

Posted 16 July 2014 - 08:53 AM

I agree and don't forget the parachute payments to reward failure at London and Bradford.

So.....being relegated is now not punishment but actually a reward? Lol

#53 Amber Avenger

Amber Avenger
  • Coach
  • 5,778 posts

Posted 16 July 2014 - 09:24 AM

With Bradford and London going down this season.It will be interesting to see who goes up and down next year.Bradford have to be nailed on to go right back up.

Cant see anyone else making it.Salford would have probably been in the championship but for Dr Marwan.

Incredible luck.

It's been said before, but nobody is nailed on to go up because the system coming in is heavily weighted towards clubs who will stay in Super League in 2015. I have a feeling no team will go up in 2015 – bearing in mind anywhere between zero and four clubs could swap divisions come October next year.

Of the two clubs coming down, I don’t think it’s controversial to say we are in a slightly stronger position, but I don’t think we are by any means nailed on to finish top of that division come the split. For one, it’ll be a completely different squad to the one we have this year so we aren’t exactly going to be skittling teams over. It’ll be an unknown unsettled team getting to know each other, and I look at a clubs like Leigh and Fev who have had years to plan this and are far more knowledgeable about the surroundings of the division and have a more settled team than we will have.

We may have an advantage as people may want to play for us as we are a “name” but that only lasts so long. Plus I’m not entirely convinced the club knows what they are doing at the moment – it’ll be frustrating if we don’t start announcing signings next week if we are relegated on Sunday – current Championship clubs already ahead in this regard.

SQL Honours
Play off mini league winner - 2002. Bronze Medalist - 2003. Big Split Group Winner - 2006. Minor Stupidship - 2005, 2006. Cup Silver Medalist - 2008, 2009
CHAMPION - 2005, 2009, 2010

#54 Ackroman

Ackroman
  • Coach
  • 1,914 posts

Posted 16 July 2014 - 11:50 AM

I think next year we'll see the lie of the land in determining differences in quality for the teams in the middle 8. 

IMO I don't think it will be that big but not necessarily with Bradford being in the top spot as Amber has said.

It's going to be fascinating to see how improved professionalism within the lower division clubs through dietary knowledge, training techniques, coaching and player fitness, may bridge the gap.

#55 Jemmo

Jemmo
  • Coach
  • 513 posts

Posted 16 July 2014 - 11:56 AM

At the last game, supporters could pay at the gate (so no double backing) and the concourse refreshment facilities were open. Although I appreciate this is very recent.

Also, Paul Cooke didn't play against Leigh, so while I am not underestimating what he contributes to the club we're not as reliant on him as some would have you think.

#56 GeordieSaint

GeordieSaint
  • Coach
  • 4,960 posts

Posted 16 July 2014 - 12:00 PM

It's going to be fascinating to see how improved professionalism within the lower division clubs through dietary knowledge, training techniques, coaching and player fitness, may bridge the gap.

There is no guarantee that employing people full time will improve professionalism within any organisation. Any club must ensure they employ quality people with the right qualifications and experience in key roles to improve their professionalism. I sincerely hope they do in order to potentially bridge the gap.

Kings Lynn Black Knights Rugby League Club - http://www.pitchero....nnblackknights/

#57 Ackroman

Ackroman
  • Coach
  • 1,914 posts

Posted 16 July 2014 - 12:40 PM

There is no guarantee that employing people full time will improve professionalism within any organisation. Any club must ensure they employ quality people with the right qualifications and experience in key roles to improve their professionalism. I sincerely hope they do in order to potentially bridge the gap.

I'm looking at it from the perspective that good practice has filtered down to semi pro clubs and that in those conditions even part time players can compete.

I'm well aware of what a full time idiot can do in relation a genius working part time.

#58 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 17,359 posts

Posted 16 July 2014 - 12:42 PM

I don't even know where this "professionalism" is coming in? The make up of the Championship is likely at this point to be Bradford, London, Leigh. Fev, Halifax, Dons, Dewsbury, Batley, Haven, Sheffield,Keighley and york. Where's all the money coming from to professionalise these clubs??

Edit: Sorry it's apparently "Good practice filtering down"? Not for me.

Edited by The Parksider, 16 July 2014 - 12:44 PM.

#59 Ackroman

Ackroman
  • Coach
  • 1,914 posts

Posted 16 July 2014 - 02:03 PM

I don't even know where this "professionalism" is coming in? The make up of the Championship is likely at this point to be Bradford, London, Leigh. Fev, Halifax, Dons, Dewsbury, Batley, Haven, Sheffield,Keighley and york. Where's all the money coming from to professionalise these clubs??

Edit: Sorry it's apparently "Good practice filtering down"? Not for me.

You clearly don't watch the games or have any idea of coaching and training techniques. You have no idea how some part time players take their diet and training very seriously. Also the fact that the jobs part time players do these days are no more taxing than reaching for more printer paper.

Coaches like Daryl Powell, John Kear, Karl Harrison, Paul Cooke, Glen Morrison. Experienced in the full time environment, now working, or have worked at Championship level. Full of ideas and regimes that could work in a part time environment. No more money required, just a willing audience capable of stretching themselves.

You may also spot Barry Eaton in the background at many a Leeds match. I'm sure he's not learning a bloody thing. Maybe Mark Aston is a muppet, I don't know, but what I do know he's knows what good practice is.

Also the number of championship level players who made the "leap" to SL, have in my opinion made it look like a step, people like Alex Walmsley and Liam Finn. 

I am now convinced having put up with some of your informed comments, that clearly you aren't informed, just obsessed that the difference between SL and the Championships is a chasm never to be bridged.

Well you're wrong. Because just like the football world cup has shown us, once the "method" has been learnt even the poorer teams can compete, maybe not with the likes of Germany or Argentina but they can make the competition meaningful.

#60 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 5,639 posts

Posted 16 July 2014 - 02:41 PM

You clearly don't watch the games or have any idea of coaching and training techniques. You have no idea how some part time players take their diet and training very seriously. Also the fact that the jobs part time players do these days are no more taxing than reaching for more printer paper.

Coaches like Daryl Powell, John Kear, Karl Harrison, Paul Cooke, Glen Morrison. Experienced in the full time environment, now working, or have worked at Championship level. Full of ideas and regimes that could work in a part time environment. No more money required, just a willing audience capable of stretching themselves.

You may also spot Barry Eaton in the background at many a Leeds match. I'm sure he's not learning a bloody thing. Maybe Mark Aston is a muppet, I don't know, but what I do know he's knows what good practice is.

Also the number of championship level players who made the "leap" to SL, have in my opinion made it look like a step, people like Alex Walmsley and Liam Finn. 

I am now convinced having put up with some of your informed comments, that clearly you aren't informed, just obsessed that the difference between SL and the Championships is a chasm never to be bridged.

Well you're wrong. Because just like the football world cup has shown us, once the "method" has been learnt even the poorer teams can compete, maybe not with the likes of Germany or Argentina but they can make the competition meaningful.

What a great post. The SL as is now and forever version of history seriously gets up my nose. Thanks for articulating an alternative history so excellently.