Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
* * * - - 1 votes

Standard Cup Final

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 geoffcooke

geoffcooke
  • Players
  • 43 posts

Posted 21 April 2014 - 03:27 PM

Excellent game at Oldham RU's Manor Park today as Rochdale Mayfield retained the Oldham Amateur League's Standard Cup. Close game until Oldham St. Annes ran out of steam in the last 15 minutes.

The Standard Cup Final continues to be among the premier amateur club final days even if its Watersheddings home is long gone. A good and enthusiastic crowd present today. Oldham RU do a great job staging the game and provide their facilities for free, happy to settle for takings from the bar and provision of food.

Photos attached.Attached File  P4210046.JPG   130.44KB   2 downloads[attacAttached File  P4210047.JPG   217.49KB   0 downloadsAttached File  P4210048.JPG   327.5KB   0 downloadsAttached File  P4210049.JPG   384.92KB   0 downloadsAttached File  P4210051.JPG   292.78KB   0 downloadsAttached File  P4210052.JPG   133.5KB   0 downloadshment=4361:P4210046.JPG]

#2 Superdude

Superdude
  • Coach
  • 134 posts

Posted 21 April 2014 - 08:00 PM

Its a real shame that this could not of been held at Whitebirk. I know the place is a shitip but Watersheddings was the home of the Standard Cup Final and Oldham RL should be trying to maintain as much of the past traditions as possible!

A missed opportunity to get people back at Oldham Rugby and build some bridges with the local RL community.

Shame!

#3 D1041

D1041
  • Players
  • 26 posts

Posted 21 April 2014 - 08:09 PM

So you play your showpiece Final at a worse venue than the competing teams home pitch? Not much incentive to competing teams.

#4 Big Doug

Big Doug
  • Coach
  • 352 posts

Posted 21 April 2014 - 09:05 PM

A good game this morning. Oldham Rugby Union Club provided an excellent venue. I have got to agree with D1041 why on earth would they want to play at a worse venue than they both play on. Whitebank has put enough rugby supporters off already.

:girlwerewolf:  :girldevil: 

I  HAVE NEVER GONE TO BED WITH AN UGLY WOMAN. BUT I HAVE WOKEN UP WITH A FEW

#5 TOSH1960

TOSH1960
  • Coach
  • 364 posts

Posted 21 April 2014 - 09:08 PM

So sad but true at present. Oldham Rugby league are striving to improve every aspect of the club but limited resources are hampering this. For Oldham to put this event on, how much would it cost the club? would they need stewards etc? at Manor Park because they are an amateur club  at  the need for stewards etc are more relaxed as they are at amateur rugby league clubs. And yes sadly the facilities are poor at Whitebank but isn't it in the interest of all Rugby in Oldham for the Professional club and it's facilities to become somewhere all players strive to play. I think Rugby Oldham have a part to play in this. But i don't know or understand the politics involved. I would add that as a life long long rugby fan and having been involved in Amateur, professional and ( yes this is true) a rugby Union player in Oldham, i would be willing to be involved in discussions with all parties . I have no agenda, just a love of the game and its people. 

#6 Superdude

Superdude
  • Coach
  • 134 posts

Posted 22 April 2014 - 12:20 AM

The standard of whitebank is not the point. Building links with the local amateur scene is a must!

#7 D1041

D1041
  • Players
  • 26 posts

Posted 22 April 2014 - 09:04 PM

The standard of whitebank is not the point. Building links with the local amateur scene is a must!

So lets turn it on its head and let Oldham play at St Annes or Saddleworth instead.

#8 TOSH1960

TOSH1960
  • Coach
  • 364 posts

Posted 22 April 2014 - 11:00 PM

So lets turn it on its head and let Oldham play at St Annes or Saddleworth instead.

Wouldn't that be brilliant! That the amateur game bails out the pro team. I've never thought about it that way before.

#9 D1041

D1041
  • Players
  • 26 posts

Posted 23 April 2014 - 06:56 PM

ORLFC on tour

#10 Superdude

Superdude
  • Coach
  • 134 posts

Posted 24 April 2014 - 06:16 PM

What a load of TOSH (excuse the pun).

ORL should be trying to build the club. The Standard Cup used to be a big day out, packing Sheddings and the Waterhead Club after! 

CH should be trying to build some traditions with HIS new Club, and this would be a good way of getting people to Whitebirk. Actual local rugby followers - not supporters though as was recently outlined by some other lunatic on here recently!

#11 TOSH1960

TOSH1960
  • Coach
  • 364 posts

Posted 24 April 2014 - 07:24 PM

Hi Superrude, I thought i said that ORL are trying to build the club? I also have some idea as to the history of the Standard cup having played in it and having been as a speccie for many years. I don't know why it is being held at Manor park, but have recently read that Manor park are happy to receive bar and food money. But i still don't think ORL could hold the Standard cup without stewards but may be wrong. If they do, someone needs to pick up the tab. I also wonder why Amateur teams should want to play on a ground that is worse than the Amateur clubs own ground. Slightly confused as to what is tosh, unless it's the fact that i'm agreeing with you for a change. 

#12 Big Doug

Big Doug
  • Coach
  • 352 posts

Posted 25 April 2014 - 05:07 PM

CH should be trying to build some traditions with HIS new Club, and this would be a good way of getting people to Whitebirk. Actual local rugby followers - not supporters though as was recently outlined by some other lunatic on here recently!

what is the difference between the two ?

#13 Superdude

Superdude
  • Coach
  • 134 posts

Posted 26 April 2014 - 03:44 PM

Keep up big doug. One of our esteemed posters has declared you must attend the matches to be a fan everyone outside this elite 400 is just a follower!

#14 roughyed34

roughyed34
  • Coach
  • 190 posts

Posted 26 April 2014 - 05:36 PM

What i said was you need to go to matches to be a supporter otherwise you just follow the game/team.Pay your money you are entitled to criticise, otherwise STFU, Superrude find another way to get a bite, its getting boring now.

#15 higgy

higgy
  • 337 posts

Posted 26 April 2014 - 06:40 PM

No you are wrong here  I lived in Malta  for two years, I was a supporter from age 5 just because I couldn't attend games does that make me less of a supporter. 

I have probably over the years contributed more to the cause than you have ever done.

Ridiculous Statement

Edited by higgy, 26 April 2014 - 06:40 PM.

#16 thecrab

thecrab
  • Coach
  • 703 posts

Posted 26 April 2014 - 07:40 PM

Roughyed34 what a load of insulting garbage you have just written....pathetic

Edited by thecrab, 26 April 2014 - 07:41 PM.

#17 TOSH1960

TOSH1960
  • Coach
  • 364 posts

Posted 26 April 2014 - 08:00 PM

I do feel there are supporters who do not or cannot attend. Then there are those who just moan without any idea of what is going on or what the truth is. Can understand 34s frustration as someone who supports week in, week out, home and away! If you have given up on the club then please walk away! if you really support them then do so by attendance or by other means. But please don't just undermine those who are doing their best for the club.

#18 Big Doug

Big Doug
  • Coach
  • 352 posts

Posted 26 April 2014 - 10:02 PM

If the standard of Whitebank is not improved quickly it will be part of the local amateur set up

#19 Superdude

Superdude
  • Coach
  • 134 posts

Posted 27 April 2014 - 11:14 PM

The Standard cup not the same as it was, pro rugby has almost vanished in the town. Such a shame when superleague clubs are jammed with oldham lads. We can at least take some pride in FOLLOWING or supporting our local talent whatever roughyed 34 decides!

#20 Big Doug

Big Doug
  • Coach
  • 352 posts

Posted 28 April 2014 - 08:28 PM

I have always enjoyed following my team and supporting them financially. What else is there.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users