Posted 27 April 2014 - 08:39 PM

For having a opinion

#42 elppaxr2i

elppaxr2i
  • Coach
  • 1,877 posts

Posted 27 April 2014 - 08:41 PM

Why do you say that?

Our pitch is a bit narrower than LSV and on the slope I expect their gameplan to change and to see more play down the middle

#43 Les Tonks Sidestep

Les Tonks Sidestep
  • Coach
  • 1,571 posts

Posted 27 April 2014 - 08:49 PM

Our pitch is a bit narrower than LSV and on the slope I expect their gameplan to change and to see more play down the middle

It's a myth that our pitch is narrow, I'm pretty sure it is (or is very close to) the maximum allowable......

Edited by Les Tonks Sidestep, 27 April 2014 - 08:52 PM.

#44 elppaxr2i

elppaxr2i
  • Coach
  • 1,877 posts

Posted 27 April 2014 - 08:59 PM

Even so - i still expect them to play more down the middle than out wide and change their gameplan

#45 Steve Slater

Steve Slater
  • Coach
  • 1,826 posts

Posted 27 April 2014 - 10:01 PM

According to JB, Matty Dale is biggest doubt for next week, dependant upon X-ray to his injured hand. Bostock turned his ankle so might be fit, and Steve Crossley's knee injury is not too serious and he might be back. Two back wouldn't be too bad, but we'd be lost without all three. I wonder whether Haggerty & Barlow would have wreaked the havoc they did in the 2nd half if our props could have had shorter spells?  

#46 PurstonJavelin

PurstonJavelin
  • Coach
  • 200 posts

Posted 28 April 2014 - 05:08 AM

An enjoyable cup tie, a good atmosphere and lots of intensity, excitement and thrills. The effort, commitment and determination from our players was excellent: Spears, in particular, outstanding. Leigh looked like a well coached side, with a plan at each play-the-ball, generally well executed, with well-timed forward drives to pull our defence out of shape, then slick work out wide when the gaps appeared. It made our defence look nervous. I thought we looked like a poorly coached side, without a definite plan at the play-the-ball; badly timed forward drives, disorganised half-back play and, although we tried to go wide, ineffective back-line movement. We rarely looked like challenging or disturbing their defence. We have two outstanding wingers who look like spending the entire season with barely a worthwhile pass and situation to work with.

Although we'll win the majority of our easier games, I would thing there are more disappointments to come. I don't see how these players can try any harder, and we look like being a long way from having a fully working, effective attacking structure.

#47 Andrew Vause

Andrew Vause
  • Coach
  • 2,310 posts

Posted 28 April 2014 - 06:30 AM

why which one are you ?

It's easy really I'm the one who has his name above his avatar.

#48 sweaty craiq

sweaty craiq
  • Coach
  • 1,534 posts

Posted 28 April 2014 - 07:10 AM

Can I just thank you Fev fans for two things

1. A great following that contributed massively to a brilliant atmosphere, before during and post game

2. When the penis ends threw the bottles after the first try, almost to a fan you turned on them and showed your disgust - true fans and my complete respect

There will be two battered teams taking the field next week - I cannot predict a winner.

#49 ethelred the unready

ethelred the unready
  • Players
  • 24 posts

Posted 28 April 2014 - 07:23 AM

Our attacking plays yesterday were dismal compared to those of Leigh. We can get away with that against inferior opposition but against decent teams we are found badly wanting. We struggled in this respect last season, but having replaced Finn with Moore, it seems to have got worse. We must have missed six opportunities to score yesterday, whereas Leigh converted most of theirs into points. Our forwards may well be the best forwards in the league, but they can't win games by themselves. Without some strategy, flair and pace in attack, we will not compete against Leigh next week.

#50 oldrover

oldrover
  • Coach
  • 6,005 posts

Posted 28 April 2014 - 10:10 AM

Our attacking plays yesterday were dismal compared to those of Leigh. We can get away with that against inferior opposition but against decent teams we are found badly wanting. We struggled in this respect last season, but having replaced Finn with Moore, it seems to have got worse. We must have missed six opportunities to score yesterday, whereas Leigh converted most of theirs into points. Our forwards may well be the best forwards in the league, but they can't win games by themselves. Without some strategy, flair and pace in attack, we will not compete against Leigh next week.

sorry,but i have to disagree about our forwards

joe mullaney is a god
the only good tiger is a stuffed tiger

Posted Image

#51 Steve Slater

Steve Slater
  • Coach
  • 1,826 posts

Posted 28 April 2014 - 01:27 PM

Have to disagree there; We were cutting them apart in the first half, and the turning point came with Ellis's great break upfield, when he couldn't get a pass out to the support on his right and had to give it to Matty on his inside. If we'd had Ryan Brierley he would have been there to streak away under the posts. We then threw the ball away and they came away downfield in a couple of plays and Brierley waltzed through at the other end. What could have been an 18-6 lead turned into 12-12! (Where are our half-backs when Ellis makes a break?). In the 2nd half we were 2 props down, so our forwards tired,and we lost composure, giving the ball away and conceding penalties. The tries scored by Haggerty and Kay looked very soft, but Brierley is genuine class, always on hand to support the break, and capitalising on any chink in the defence. Mendeika wasn't far behind him though.

I would like to see the DVD though, I'm concerned that most of the tries seem to be conceded down our right, week in, week out, but that is also where our main attacking threat lies. Is it that our best attacking players are also the worst on defence? 

#52 frankb

frankb
  • Coach
  • 327 posts

Posted 28 April 2014 - 01:53 PM

I think that is a pretty good summary of the game.

Good to meet a few Fev fans and obviously will be in Fev next Sunday when I hope to borrow some money off one or two. ;) .

#53 Steve Slater

Steve Slater
  • Coach
  • 1,826 posts

Posted 28 April 2014 - 04:24 PM

Thanks for that Frank, I hope you enjoy my match report in next week's League Express. I will try to be as impartial as possible.

#54 Terry Mullaney

Terry Mullaney
  • Coach
  • 1,991 posts

Posted 29 April 2014 - 09:26 AM

Steve, I really enjoy your match reports, they are always balanced, informative and obviously written by a knowledgable RL man. Only thing I'd like to see added are quotes from the respective coaches if you can, I always enjoy reading their post match analyses on what's just taken place. Got to say the LE reports on Rovers are the best they've been of a long time, keep up the good work Steve.

As for the Leigh game? It was there for the taking with better composure and awareness near their line. Not a fan of these over complicated plays when simple controlled rugby designed to build pressure would be far more effective. Finny would have won us that game on Sunday sorry to say.
Wedding Films For The Discerning by Picture House
Free Showreel DVD On Request

http://www.pictureho...ingfilms.co.uk/

#55 Steve Slater

Steve Slater
  • Coach
  • 1,826 posts

Posted 29 April 2014 - 06:42 PM

I try to include the Coaches' comments Terry, but sometimes its difficult to fit into the 500 words I'm allowed, and the tight deadline makes it difficult to constrict the report in order to leave room for these comments. I also like to check key moments on the DVD, and that takes time, but I'm getting quicker week by week and I'm starting to find time to reduce my word count to allow this.

I think that above all, it was our defence that let us down yesterday, and some of the better performers with ball in hand were also the biggest culprits when tries were conceded. On another day all conversions would have been kicked and Ellis's break a minute before Brierley scored to level would have been converted into a try, and we would have gone into the break 24-6 up. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users