Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Impetus!

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
133 replies to this topic

#1 Keith T

Keith T
  • Coach
  • 8,707 posts

Posted 23 April 2014 - 02:25 PM

Several weeks ago I made a post on here saying that I thought we were losing the impetus that was built with the World Cup and several others disagreed with me and said that wasn't their opinion at that time.

Question now after five losing games on the trot and last home crowd down to 451, have we lost it now?

Again, my opinion is that everything has gone very flat, little or no craic as witnessed on here and elsewhere, just general rugby league gossip on the website, and when I meet people out and about there doesn't seem to be the interest any more with a lot of them.

I remember when .............................

"It is impossible not to feel a twinge of sympathy for Workington Town, the fall guys this season for the Super League's determination to retain it's European dimension, in the shape of Paris. While the French have had every assistance to survive, the importance of having a flagship in a heartland area like West Cumbria has been conveniently forgotten." - Dave Hadfield - Independent 25th August 1996.

#2 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 5,449 posts

Posted 23 April 2014 - 02:30 PM

How could anyone disagree Keith ? The World Cup was a great county feel good twin - event ... I'd argue that as a club we've lost impetus and the positive momentum we had garnered from a fine debut season at this level from the day that chapter ended . We had a strong foundation but in my opinion we haven't built on it , and may even have regressed ? This was one season it had to be right , but I just think we've stumbled along since last autumn and have struggled to get any positivity ,and we are badly under done as we are ...And Wigans top priority isn't saving our bacon .

Edited by DavidM, 23 April 2014 - 02:34 PM.

#3 wonky

wonky
  • Coach
  • 4,231 posts

Posted 23 April 2014 - 03:07 PM

Totally agree Keith, although I think after about 2 days it had gone. People In charge seem to have accepted our fate, so why shouldn't we? I honestly think this season has been a complete farce so far, the recruitment was shockingly bad, and we have not recovered since. Everything was buzzing last year, making playoffs, World Cup to look forward to. Now what, relegation and Hemel would be my guess.
the futures bright,the futures blue and white

#4 town4me

town4me
  • Workington
  • 1,805 posts

Posted 23 April 2014 - 05:06 PM

Interest is definitely waining. Thats coz we are putting in championship 1 performances in the championship. We simply haven't addressed key positions (props, half back,strike centre) to compete at this level.

Edited by town4me, 23 April 2014 - 06:11 PM.

#5 The Voodooguru

The Voodooguru
  • Coach
  • 1,020 posts

Posted 23 April 2014 - 05:12 PM

Completely agree, if ever a boat was missed this was it. Now the club is struggling on and off the field compared to last season.
If we can start getting some results on the field it can be turned around and a bit of feel good factor can return. But until that happens it isn't looking good.
The race is not always to the swift nor the battle to the strong, but thats the way to bet!

#6 Derwent

Derwent
  • Coach
  • 7,810 posts

Posted 23 April 2014 - 05:58 PM

We gambled on the link with Wigan giving us an edge and quite frankly it's been a complete failure so far. Up to now we have had nobody on a regular basis who fills the gaps in our squad. To be blunt we have been used as an A team by Wigan in terms of lads like Gelling, James and Dudson to get them ready for a return to the first team. There is no doubt that Wigan are giving us what they want and not what we need. I get the feeling that, unlike the Widnes link, we are very much being dictated to in this one. But it's our own fault for not making sure we had a squad that was strong enough for this level and which the odd Wigan player would have added some quality to. Instead we are reliant on their youngsters to fill shirts and get a team out which is a disgrace for a club at this level. Somebody got it badly wrong I'm afraid.

Workington Town. Then. Now. Always.

#7 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 5,449 posts

Posted 23 April 2014 - 06:09 PM

It is our own fault . Take out DR and we are frightfully exposed . But we negotiated this DR as our plan A ( onwards ) so that's our route and our hope ... Mr Radlinski we need two props , a half and a strike back so over to you if you please . These kids may be improving. , they may turn out to be greats , but they're not getting us into the 9 this year . It's time we got the full return while it can still make a difference . We negotiated it , we have it , we need to call it in to the max now . They must have what's required . None of that excuses our blatant deficiencies and predicament- we're just trying to paper over the cracks till the end of the season. Then there'll be a reckoning .

Edited by DavidM, 23 April 2014 - 06:14 PM.

#8 morty

morty
  • Coach
  • 2,134 posts

Posted 23 April 2014 - 06:09 PM

That's why Holty walked away from DR'ing with the pies last year ...

Lee Morton

Raiders have risen from the ashes

#9 Oneday

Oneday
  • Coach
  • 1,058 posts

Posted 23 April 2014 - 06:30 PM

Yep, I agree with all this. The warning bells started with recruitment or lack of it. Hopes briefly raised with Vievers appointment and Wigan link. Our performances to be fair to our players haven't been a mile off BUT there are some crucial areas which we all know are clearly lacking to turn narrow losses into wins. I said earlier I'm beginning to lose interest as I don't just want to go and watch our slow slide back down again. Had enough of that now. Should things improve I'll be back for sure but for now......

#10 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 5,449 posts

Posted 23 April 2014 - 06:40 PM

And there the comments which should worry the club most of all ... Because you hear it more and more . Even many people who go just want to turn up but are fed up with town craic .

#11 wonky

wonky
  • Coach
  • 4,231 posts

Posted 23 April 2014 - 06:52 PM

That's why Holty walked away from DR'ing with the pies last year ...

I honestly think if charlo was still in charge Wigan wouldn't be dictating anything to us as he was such a strong personality and I think that's what's needed in the dr link ups. If you let the bigger side dictate then they will take the p***
the futures bright,the futures blue and white

#12 town4me

town4me
  • Workington
  • 1,805 posts

Posted 23 April 2014 - 07:05 PM

I would like to see brett to FB. Matty and callum spelling at 9. Two DR props and a half back.plus our tactical kickers down to wigan for some kick coaching.

#13 town blue

town blue
  • Players
  • 60 posts

Posted 23 April 2014 - 07:09 PM

Can anyone from Workington RLFC tell me what the plan is (if there is one) on how we are going to survive in this league and stay out of the bottom 5? Is it worthwhile forking out £14 every other week for the rest of the season? Day in day out I hope the club shows a little ambition by signing some of OUR own players - but I now fear this is not going to happen. Whether we like it or nor Haven are being pro-active in trying to survive - we appear to be doing nothing. Hope we don't end up like our neighbours across the road.

#14 GeordieTownie

GeordieTownie
  • Coach
  • 1,147 posts

Posted 23 April 2014 - 07:18 PM

Whitehavrn are being pro active in trying to survive?! Don't make me laugh the had a player in their 17 who Town didn't want so they're obviously relying on DR almost as much as Town.

#15 gillmeister

gillmeister
  • Coach
  • 1,189 posts

Posted 24 April 2014 - 09:29 AM

I honestly think if charlo was still in charge Wigan wouldn't be dictating anything to us as he was such a strong personality and I think that's what's needed in the dr link ups. If you let the bigger side dictate then they will take the p***

Vievers is stuck with an agreement our bod arranged he has no scope to be a strong personality, the guys a quality coach and looking long term he's going to be a huge asset
Forget Chuck and Chad I am the real legend killer

#16 haven94

haven94
  • Coach
  • 312 posts

Posted 24 April 2014 - 09:42 AM

Whitehavrn are being pro active in trying to survive?! Don't make me laugh the had a player in their 17 who Town didn't want so they're obviously relying on DR almost as much as Town.

no dr when we beat you last week . we have used jordan hand most games carl forster a few and ade gardner 1 game. not relying on 4 per game 

#17 GeordieTownie

GeordieTownie
  • Coach
  • 1,147 posts

Posted 24 April 2014 - 10:21 AM

That's why I said nearly you buffoon

#18 haven94

haven94
  • Coach
  • 312 posts

Posted 24 April 2014 - 10:33 AM

That's why I said nearly you buffoon

and were relying on dr of course we are.

#19 FRISKY FILLY

FRISKY FILLY
  • Coach
  • 1,932 posts

Posted 24 April 2014 - 10:53 AM

DON'T DISPAIR -- if you do get relegated you will go down with 4 other clubs from the Championship probably including the 2 other Cumbria clubs, and will join the 8 remaining clubs in Championship 1.

We at HUNSLET are presently top of Championship  1 but promotion will come from a top 5 club play off.

Next season which will be better? -- a Championshtettip 1 division which will look pretty competetive, or the Championship where you will always be fighting off relegation..

#20 GeordieTownie

GeordieTownie
  • Coach
  • 1,147 posts

Posted 24 April 2014 - 11:08 AM

With the disparity of the funding under the new setting all that will happen will be clubs yo-yoing between the 2 leagues with the gap between the lower and higher clubs getting bigger so it's irrelevant to a degree.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users