James Graham: "Trent Hodkinson for England"

england four nations

• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

#21 7723

• Coach
  • 620 posts

Posted 25 April 2014 - 07:28 AM

I think England should play Tomkins in the halves rather than FB. Hopefully NZ Warriors move him there sooner rather than later and we see the best of him. Remember when he first broke through he was a stand off, before being moved to accommodate some Aussie signing the following season. 

Tomkins was moved to fullback in the 2010 season after Amos Roberts got injured. Deacon and Leuluai were the half backs for the rest of that season.

#22 Viking Warrior

Viking Warrior
  • Coach
  • 5,145 posts

Posted 25 April 2014 - 08:52 AM

Yes.  Certainly at the moment he most definitely is!

is he buggery !!!

"Why is Napoleon crying ?" said one sailor to the other, "poor ###### thinks he's being exiled to st helens" came the reply.

https://scontent-a-l...276002364_n.jpg

#23 Grollo

Grollo
  • Banned
  • 310 posts

Posted 25 April 2014 - 07:03 PM

Widdop arguably the top half in the NRL? Wow. There's a reason the Pom watch thread went to sleep. It's because Widdop and Tomkins are not in great form.

Hodkinson is definitely in better form than Widdop, I've been very impressed with him, he has surprised me. Widdop is about middle of the road at the moment.

You must be watching a different Widdop. Perhaps the static one alongside the equally static Gorple brothers.

What you are aware of you are in control of; what you are not aware of is in control of you.

#24 Grollo

Grollo
  • Banned
  • 310 posts

Posted 25 April 2014 - 07:12 PM

who is Trent Hodkinson, with an Australian accent. I don't think it would give a positive image to the game and tbh if we require Australians to beat the Aussies, it would make our victories hollow to me if anything. 

So where are the one's with northern accents who can give us a positive image? Northern people can speak very well. It just seems the worst northern accent areas (Leeds, Bradford, Wakefield, Wigan, Hull) correspond with rugby league.

What you are aware of you are in control of; what you are not aware of is in control of you.

#25 RSN

RSN
  • Coach
  • 4,116 posts

Posted 25 April 2014 - 09:06 PM

No the worst Northern accent is Blackburn by a mile.

#26 1976PMJwires

1976PMJwires
  • Coach
  • 9,567 posts

Posted 25 April 2014 - 09:17 PM

No the worst Northern accent is Blackburn by a mile.

This is the first post I think I've ever disagreed with you.

Bury or Wigan for me, blooody horrible

#27 DimmestStar

DimmestStar
  • Coach
  • 105 posts

Posted 25 April 2014 - 10:09 PM

I believe that any Australians without pre-Captain Cook ancestory should be ineligible to play for Australia.

They should all be available for England.

This simple adjustment to international eligibility would I believe transform the fortunes of the England national team even with loose forwards playing at half back. Even with SackNamara as sometimes when he feels like it coach.

Edited by DimmestStar, 25 April 2014 - 10:13 PM.

#28 Mushy

Mushy
  • Coach
  • 298 posts

Posted 26 April 2014 - 07:12 AM

Whilst on the one hand I really don't like flags of convenience players who sign for different countries (as happens in RU and cricket) I also believe that nationality is a far more complex thing than many on here appreciate, and it is possible to consider yourself as both and Aussie and a Brit.

I don't know if Trent falls into this category, but I do recall Maurie F talking really positively about how he was proud to represent GB and England in 2007-2008 as he felt he had been adopted by our country.

Someone who was very close to me was born in Switzerland of Scottish parents and lived all over the world in Australia and USA before settling in England. She was brought up Scottish and her parents even wrote 'Scottish' on her birth certificate, and being fantastically talented she ended up representing Scotland in the 1994 and 2002 Commonwealth Games. But when Scotland stiffened their eligibility criteria in 2004 she was no longer eligible and was told she had to represent England - which she would never do as she didn't consider herself English. Eventually she got an exemption after much petitioning, and common sense prevailed.

This experience illustrates both points pretty starkly to me - nationality is far more complex than just birth, and that choosing national representation isn't something that should ever be taken lightly.

#29 zorquif

zorquif
  • Coach
  • 1,522 posts

Posted 26 April 2014 - 09:45 AM

Nowt wrong with the Blackburn accent. Burnley now...

#30 thirteenthman

thirteenthman
  • Coach
  • 2,658 posts

Posted 27 April 2014 - 12:38 PM

Looks like Hodkinsons representative ambitions lie elsewhere-

http://www.nrl.com/b...78/default.aspx

City coach Brad Fittler has named an 18-man squad with Canterbury halfback Trent Hodkinson the extra player included as cover for Gold Coast playmaker Aidan Sezer who's carrying an ankle injury.

However, he said there was a real chance the in-form Bulldogs star could be involved in the game despite Adam Reynolds being the first-choice No.7.

"(Adam) Reynolds was there last year and I wanted some momentum but if anything did happen to Mitchell Pearce, Trent Hodkinson is right in contention to replace him at halfback for State of Origin," Fittler said.

#31 londonrlfan

londonrlfan
  • Coach
  • 842 posts

Posted 27 April 2014 - 07:59 PM

Looks like Hodkinsons representative ambitions lie elsewhere-

http://www.nrl.com/b...78/default.aspx

There's still time for him to switch his allegiance for the Four Nations 

#32 Viking Warrior

Viking Warrior
  • Coach
  • 5,145 posts

Posted 28 April 2014 - 09:43 AM

or just play a young skillful ENGLISH scrum half instead!!!!!!!!

"Why is Napoleon crying ?" said one sailor to the other, "poor ###### thinks he's being exiled to st helens" came the reply.

#33 londonrlfan

londonrlfan
  • Coach
  • 842 posts

Posted 28 April 2014 - 12:49 PM

I don't think he's good enough for England anyway, if 18th man in City v Country is the best he can do, he's no improvement to what we already have. Watch McBanana select him in the Four Nations squad anyway...

#34 7723

• Coach
  • 620 posts

Posted 28 April 2014 - 01:05 PM

I don't think he's good enough for England anyway, if 18th man in City v Country is the best he can do, he's no improvement to what we already have. Watch McBanana select him in the Four Nations squad anyway...

He's better than Chase and Sinfield.

#35 londonrlfan

londonrlfan
  • Coach
  • 842 posts

Posted 28 April 2014 - 01:08 PM

Neither of whom should be in the squad anyway

#36 Viking Warrior

Viking Warrior
  • Coach
  • 5,145 posts

Posted 28 April 2014 - 04:20 PM

but not as good as powell, o'brien, mellor etc etc etc 

#37 Wellsy4HullFC

Wellsy4HullFC
  • Coach
  • 9,867 posts

Posted 28 April 2014 - 06:30 PM

but not as good as powell, o'brien, mellor etc etc etc

If you think those three are better than Chase and Sinfield, you're deluded.
Posted Image

#38 RSN

RSN
  • Coach
  • 4,116 posts

Posted 28 April 2014 - 08:00 PM

I'd rather have Mellor in my side than both of them. I wouldn't put Chase ahead of any of them three though.

For the 2017 world cup we have time to develop a partnership with Widdop, Sneyd, Hampshire, Matty Smith, Mellor or whoever it may be.

We don't need this Aussie.

#39 Viking Warrior

Viking Warrior
  • Coach
  • 5,145 posts

Posted 28 April 2014 - 09:21 PM

If you think those three are better than Chase and Sinfield, you're deluded.

and they are all better than miller 

#40 Wellsy4HullFC

Wellsy4HullFC
  • Coach
  • 9,867 posts

Posted 28 April 2014 - 10:42 PM

and they are all better than miller

Why mention Miller?
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users