UKIPpery

• Please log in to reply
414 replies to this topic

#1 ckn

ckn
  • Admin
  • 16,759 posts

Posted 24 April 2014 - 01:07 PM

This will come as a bit of a shocker but UKIP MEPs have voted in the EU Parliament.  The vote was on the relatively uncontroversial subject of combating serious wildlife crime such as banning ivory trading, the sort of thing that most people probably thought was won in the 80s in the EU and just a distasteful historical thing.  647 in favour, 14 against.  Of the 14 people voting against were 6 UKIP MEPs.  The strangest thing is that they were voting against their normal political alliances in the EU Parliament on this subject.

Nice of them to turn up to vote though.

Arguing with the forum trolls is like playing chess with a pigeon.  No matter how good you are, the bird will **** on the board and strut around like it won anyway

#2 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,021 posts

Posted 24 April 2014 - 01:14 PM

Two things about this.  One, the vote was in January but appears to only be being reported now.  Guess that shows how important the European parliament is.  Two, it does seem Ukip were sticking to a principle here.  Namely that they will vote against any extension to the powers of the European parliament even if they might actually agree with what those powers are.

Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#3 ckn

ckn
  • Admin
  • 16,759 posts

Posted 24 April 2014 - 01:14 PM

(p.s. for those who don't really get sarcasm, I know that UKIP turn up to vote on many things these days, even if it is just "no" to almost everything bar increases in what they get)

Arguing with the forum trolls is like playing chess with a pigeon.  No matter how good you are, the bird will **** on the board and strut around like it won anyway

#4 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 20,193 posts

Posted 24 April 2014 - 01:20 PM

By the way, if you object to getting UKIP xenophobia through your letter box, you can always return it at their expense to: UKIP FREEPOST RLSU-HZBG-UBBG, Lexdrum House, TQ12 6UT

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#5 ckn

ckn
  • Admin
  • 16,759 posts

Posted 24 April 2014 - 01:28 PM

Two things about this.  One, the vote was in January but appears to only be being reported now.  Guess that shows how important the European parliament is.  Two, it does seem Ukip were sticking to a principle here.  Namely that they will vote against any extension to the powers of the European parliament even if they might actually agree with what those powers are.

Before posting the comment I did have a good old look at voting patterns.  Most UKIP MEPs turn up to an average of 70-75% of votes (below the 82% average of UK MEPs as a whole), notable high attendance goes to John Agnew with 92% and Roger Helmer with 88%, notable lows are Godfrey Bloom at 23% and Farage at 43%.  UKIP MEPs typically vote "yes" on around 15% of votes, strangely involving EU policies that impact other countries more than the UK and some that cover keeping the Common Agricultural Policy going.

#6 ckn

ckn
  • Admin
  • 16,759 posts

Posted 24 April 2014 - 01:28 PM

By the way, if you object to getting UKIP xenophobia through your letter box, you can always return it at their expense to: UKIP FREEPOST RLSU-HZBG-UBBG, Lexdrum House, TQ12 6UT

Or alternatively, you can help their support of the EU Common Agricultural Policy by sending them some manure in a box with the Freepost label stuck to it :)

#7 ckn

ckn
  • Admin
  • 16,759 posts

Posted 25 April 2014 - 12:26 PM

Face of jobless British worker advert is actually a EU immigrant :P

#8 Griff9of13

Griff9of13
  • Coach
  • 5,523 posts

Posted 25 April 2014 - 12:58 PM

http://www.bbc.co.uk...litics-27151509

http://www.huffingto..._n_5192031.html

It seems there is one cockup after another at the moment with UKIP. It begs the question; if they're not capable of running what is a very small political party with any resemblance of competence what chance have they of running the country? 

"it is a well known fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it."

#9 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 19,926 posts

Posted 25 April 2014 - 03:28 PM

It seems to me they are only indulging in the things that the proper parties have indulged in over many years, so they are learning. Louse Minchin could get nowhere near him on BBC  Breakfast TV this morning despite the producer screaming questions into her ear.  

UKIP director of communications Patrick O'Flynn highlighted the Conservatives' use of actors when William Hague led the party.He said: "The vast majority of people used in political poster campaigns are actors. It is totally standard practice.

"It is nonsense for the Conservative Party to try and depict this as anything out of the ordinary. For example, the people depicted in the Conservatives' "You paid the taxes..." campaign under William Hague were actors.

see http://www.bbc.co.uk...litics-27154700

Despite all and any evidence to the contrary, people believe that MEPS and the European Parliament has no power, no influence.  Thus they may feel it is safe to elect the likes of Farage who will speak up but can't do any damage. Similar to the local elections where there is a strong perception that local councillors have no real power, either.  I quite like this "kick the main parties up the backside" idea though I dislike UKIP, UKIP member and UKIP councillors and am happy to put it on record that I am not now nor ever have been a supporter of the parties or its policies, actual or implicit.

#10 ckn

ckn
  • Admin
  • 16,759 posts

Posted 25 April 2014 - 03:49 PM

It seems to me they are only indulging in the things that the proper parties have indulged in over many years, so they are learning. Louse Minchin could get nowhere near him on BBC  Breakfast TV this morning despite the producer screaming questions into her ear.  

UKIP director of communications Patrick O'Flynn highlighted the Conservatives' use of actors when William Hague led the party.He said: "The vast majority of people used in political poster campaigns are actors. It is totally standard practice.

"It is nonsense for the Conservative Party to try and depict this as anything out of the ordinary. For example, the people depicted in the Conservatives' "You paid the taxes..." campaign under William Hague were actors.

see http://www.bbc.co.uk...litics-27154700

Despite all and any evidence to the contrary, people believe that MEPS and the European Parliament has no power, no influence.  Thus they may feel it is safe to elect the likes of Farage who will speak up but can't do any damage. Similar to the local elections where there is a strong perception that local councillors have no real power, either.  I quite like this "kick the main parties up the backside" idea though I dislike UKIP, UKIP member and UKIP councillors and am happy to put it on record that I am not now nor ever have been a supporter of the parties or its policies, actual or implicit.

But... (and I can't believe I'm defending the Tories here) the Tories are not running with one of their major campaign points being "British jobs for British people" then hiring an Irishman.  One of t'other Irishmen as well, not the British Irish...

#11 Grollo

Grollo
  • Banned
  • 310 posts

Posted 25 April 2014 - 04:07 PM

http://www.bbc.co.uk...litics-27151509

http://www.huffingto..._n_5192031.html

It seems there is one cockup after another at the moment with UKIP. It begs the question; if they're not capable of running what is a very small political party with any resemblance of competence what chance have they of running the country? 

Yes, but these are the types of politicians the British (or is that English?) voter is crying out for?

No more duplicity with these good honest hard working tell it like it is jolly good chaps.

What you are aware of you are in control of; what you are not aware of is in control of you.

#12 Martyn Sadler

Martyn Sadler

League Publications Ltd

• 2,783 posts

Posted 25 April 2014 - 04:17 PM

There are some very serious issues that divide UKIP from the other major political parties that we need to think very carefully about.

But the nationality of those who appear in the their posters, or those of any other political party, is certainly not one of them.

#13 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,021 posts

Posted 25 April 2014 - 05:01 PM

But the nationality of those who appear in the their posters, or those of any other political party, is certainly not one of them.

If you're campaigning against foreign labour you shouldn't employ foreign labour.

- Severus, July 2012

#14 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 17,148 posts

Posted 25 April 2014 - 05:22 PM

If you're campaigning against foreign labour you shouldn't employ foreign labour.

I imagine, like other parties, they use an advertising firm.

#15 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,021 posts

Posted 25 April 2014 - 05:58 PM

I imagine, like other parties, they use an advertising firm.

It's pretty basic.

- Severus, July 2012

#16 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 17,148 posts

Posted 25 April 2014 - 06:10 PM

An advertising firm isn't "foreign labour". All major parties use advertising firms, have done for years.

#17 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,021 posts

Posted 25 April 2014 - 06:36 PM

An advertising firm isn't "foreign labour". All major parties use advertising firms, have done for years.

If I were that angry about foreigners I'd be checking who my contractors would be using.

- Severus, July 2012

#18 Griff9of13

Griff9of13
  • Coach
  • 5,523 posts

Posted 25 April 2014 - 07:24 PM

If I were that angry about foreigners I'd be checking who my contractors would be using.

Indeed. Once you begin to scratch beneath the surface the whole set up wreaks of rank amateurism. There is only Farage who displays anything approaching competence and possibly his deputy Paul Nuttall. Thought even he can come across as a BNP reject at times.
"it is a well known fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it."

#19 Grollo

Grollo
  • Banned
  • 310 posts

Posted 25 April 2014 - 07:31 PM

Contractors. What is their real purpose?

What you are aware of you are in control of; what you are not aware of is in control of you.

#20 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 17,148 posts

Posted 25 April 2014 - 08:25 PM

Perhaps you believe it is legal to tell your contractors to only use British labour. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users