UKIPpery

• Please log in to reply
1253 replies to this topic

#361 Marauder

Marauder
  • Coach
  • 11,822 posts

Posted 22 May 2014 - 03:40 PM

It's true though.  We went on a company retreat to Marbella a few years ago and it was just a sunny English seaside town.  English flags everywhere, fish & chip shops, English supermarkets and newsagents.  Even the local shops took UK currency.  No need at all to tax my seriously limited Spanish vocabulary as the primary language seemed to be English.

Do old people breed ?

Carlsberg don't do Soldiers, but if they did, they would probably be Brits.

http://www.pitchero....hornemarauders/

#362 ckn

ckn
  • Admin
  • 17,156 posts

Posted 22 May 2014 - 03:50 PM

Do old people breed ?

No... but they tend to be very costly to maintain in terms of healthcare and so on.

Arguing with the forum trolls is like playing chess with a pigeon.  No matter how good you are, the bird will **** on the board and strut around like it won anyway

#363 Marauder

Marauder
  • Coach
  • 11,822 posts

Posted 22 May 2014 - 04:12 PM

No... but they tend to be very costly to maintain in terms of healthcare and so on.

From what I've seen most old people like Elephants return home when they become seriously ill, youngsters breed and multiply.

This is just an observation as I don't get involved in politics (All  as bad as each other)

Carlsberg don't do Soldiers, but if they did, they would probably be Brits.

http://www.pitchero....hornemarauders/

#364 Griff9of13

Griff9of13
  • Coach
  • 6,157 posts

Posted 22 May 2014 - 04:16 PM

From what I've seen most old people like Elephants return home when they become seriously ill, youngsters breed and multiply.

This is just an observation as I don't get involved in politics (All as bad as each other)

In other words they contribute to one economy by spending and paying tax on that spending but are a net drain on the other economy, the one they only visit when ill to drain precious resources.
"it is a well known fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it."

#365 longboard

longboard
  • Coach
  • 2,615 posts

Posted 22 May 2014 - 04:46 PM

Do old people breed ?

Rod Stewart? Des O'Connor?

#366 Bedford Roughyed

Bedford Roughyed
  • 5,674 posts

Posted 24 May 2014 - 10:58 AM

http://blogs.channel..._medium=twitter

FactCheck: Will Farage ever get to Westminster?

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

#367 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,464 posts

Posted 24 May 2014 - 04:51 PM

That's certainly how I suspect things will pan out.  With the caveat that I don't see the Lib Dems holding 34 seats.

To be fair to me (!) I did say at the time of the PR referendum that parties like Ukip would suffer from not getting even AV.  People like Guido Fawkes who actively opposed AV but who are now prodding the Ukip beast must, if they have any self awareness, feel pretty stupid about now.

Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#368 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,464 posts

Posted 24 May 2014 - 04:52 PM

In other words they contribute to one economy by spending and paying tax on that spending but are a net drain on the other economy, the one they only visit when ill to drain precious resources.

Old people are the biggest drain on our economy.  They don't work.  Take more than half the social security budget in pensions and eat massive chunks of the healthcare budget.  As well as getting free bus travel, universal winter fuel payments and numerous other social services provided for them.

- Severus, July 2012

#369 Griff9of13

Griff9of13
  • Coach
  • 6,157 posts

Posted 24 May 2014 - 05:04 PM

Old people are the biggest drain on our economy. They don't work. Take more than half the social security budget in pensions and eat massive chunks of the healthcare budget. As well as getting free bus travel, universal winter fuel payments and numerous other social services provided for them.

But they also vote in large numbers, so don't expect any change soon. Also, I am now 51 so expect me to change my position on the matter in about 13 years. ;)

Regardless of governments that have come and gone throughout their lifetime it's unlikely any other generation before or since will enjoy the life the baby boomers have enjoyed.

Edited by Griff9of13, 24 May 2014 - 05:05 PM.

"it is a well known fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it."

#370 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,464 posts

Posted 24 May 2014 - 05:06 PM

it's unlikely any other generation before or since will enjoy the life the baby boomers have enjoyed.

The most selfish generation in history.

- Severus, July 2012

#371 Griff9of13

Griff9of13
  • Coach
  • 6,157 posts

Posted 24 May 2014 - 05:10 PM

The most selfish generation in history.

That's it, we've both had it when JohnM catches up with this thread. ;)

#372 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,464 posts

Posted 24 May 2014 - 05:13 PM

That's it, we've both had it when JohnM catches up with this thread. ;)

Part of the generation that's never knowingly made a sacrifice in their lives.

Poor lambs.

- Severus, July 2012

#373 clwydianrange

clwydianrange
  • Coach
  • 130 posts

Posted 24 May 2014 - 05:34 PM

Old people are the biggest drain on our economy.  They don't work.  Take more than half the social security budget in pensions and eat massive chunks of the healthcare budget.  As well as getting free bus travel, universal winter fuel payments and numerous other social services provided for them.

Gross exaggeration.

The same old folks have worked and paid into the system for over 40 years, they deserve help. 

#374 Griff9of13

Griff9of13
  • Coach
  • 6,157 posts

Posted 24 May 2014 - 05:44 PM

Gross exaggeration.
The same old folks have worked and paid into the system for over 40 years, they deserve help.

It's not an over exaggeration, it's true. However what you say is also true for most,but not all elderly people.

#375 Griff9of13

Griff9of13
  • Coach
  • 6,157 posts

Posted 24 May 2014 - 05:53 PM

The bitter irony is that the generation that benefited most from the post war Attlee consensus are the ones most likely to vote UKIP/tory. Strange.

#376 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,464 posts

Posted 24 May 2014 - 06:03 PM

Gross exaggeration.

Not one word of that is an exaggeration.

The pension bill is comfortably more than half the social security budget.  All pensioners in addition receive fuel winter payments and free travel on buses.  Services for older people are ringfenced and cannot be cut when councils have to balance the books - in contrast to services for disabled people, children and young people.  Older people are far more of a burden on the National Health Service than any other group what with them being more likely to be ill and need support and, of course, they don't pay for their prescriptions unlike every other adult.

They get all of that whether they've been a good person or a bad person and they get a lot if it whether they're a rich person or a poor person.  It's universal.  And there's no hint of scaling it back now that we're in a situation where the bills for older people go up but there are fewer younger people to pay taxes to fund it.  In fact all that's happening is the support and benefits for younger or working age people are cut whilst at the same time the age at which that generation will receive their pension goes comically upwards.

Those are all just facts.  You can interpret them as you like.

Edited by gingerjon, 24 May 2014 - 06:03 PM.

- Severus, July 2012

#377 tonyXIII

tonyXIII
  • Coach
  • 5,059 posts

Posted 24 May 2014 - 06:08 PM

Nice to see that ageism is alive and well on the TRL forum and enjoying the company of the sweeping generalisation (prior to gj's post above).

But don't worry about this particular member of the most pampered generation in history. Thanks to all the state care I received from before I was even born, I've got broad shoulders and can ignore the barbs of others.  :tongue:

Rethymno Rugby League Appreciation Society
Founder (and, so far, only) member.

#378 Griff9of13

Griff9of13
  • Coach
  • 6,157 posts

Posted 24 May 2014 - 06:15 PM

Nice to see that ageism is alive and well on the TRL forum and enjoying the company of the sweeping generalisation (prior to gj's post above).

But don't worry about this particular member of the most pampered generation in history. Thanks to all the state care I received from before I was even born, I've got broad shoulders and can ignore the barbs of others. :tongue:

I think we could file it under "e" for envy ;)

However you can also add the finest and completely free state educational and final salary pensions to GJs list of benefits you've enjoyed.

Edited by Griff9of13, 24 May 2014 - 06:16 PM.

#379 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,464 posts

Posted 24 May 2014 - 06:20 PM

But don't worry about this particular member of the most pampered generation in history.

You're alright, jack.

- Severus, July 2012

#380 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,464 posts

Posted 24 May 2014 - 06:21 PM

I think we could file it under "e" for envy ;)

However you can also add the finest and completely free state educational and final salary pensions to GJs list of benefits you've enjoyed.

Final salary pensions aren't anything to do with the burden on the state.  That's separate.  For now.

- Severus, July 2012

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users