Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 401 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, full colour, in-depth coverage from the grassroots through to the international game.
Click here for the digital edition or just download the Rugby League World app from Apple Newsstand or Google Play now.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 401
/ View a Gallery of all our previous 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 401
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

John Bateman looks a quality centre

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 The Daddy_merged

The Daddy_merged
  • Coach
  • 933 posts

Posted 24 April 2014 - 09:48 PM

Looks a certain future England player, would like to see him play alongside Kallum Watkins at Centre for England. We certainly lack quality centres and for the sake of english rugby leaguevhe needs to develop in thst position and not as a second rower.

#2 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,300 posts

Posted 24 April 2014 - 09:54 PM

Christ. But what about his hair?

#3 Konkrete

Konkrete
  • Coach
  • 1,971 posts

Posted 24 April 2014 - 10:29 PM

Looks a certain future England player, would like to see him play alongside Kallum Watkins at Centre for England. We certainly lack quality centres and for the sake of english rugby leaguevhe needs to develop in thst position and not as a second rower.

Not fast enough. Second row all the way, wouldn't even consider him at 13.

Top player and long term international future if he can stay away from injuries.
Integrity is shown when no-one is looking.

#4 MrPosh

MrPosh
  • Coach
  • 3,079 posts

Posted 24 April 2014 - 11:04 PM

Not fast enough. Second row all the way, wouldn't even consider him at 13.

Top player and long term international future if he can stay away from injuries.

And fighting in pubs.

People called Romans they go the house

#5 roughyedspud

roughyedspud
  • Coach
  • 3,586 posts

Posted 24 April 2014 - 11:32 PM

we turn far too many "big kids" into forwards....

then when we whinge when the aussies & kiwis rock up huge three-quarters...

and centers don't need to be quick...just bust tackles,make breaks,attract defenders and put in his winger & fullback

OLDHAM RLFC
the 8TH most successful team in british RL

#6 Harrigan

Harrigan
  • Coach
  • 936 posts

Posted 25 April 2014 - 02:40 AM

we turn far too many "big kids" into forwards....

then when we whinge when the aussies & kiwis rock up huge three-quarters...

and centers don't need to be quick...just bust tackles,make breaks,attract defenders and put in his winger & fullback

Whilst I agree a little, an international centre has to have enough speed to make the breaks in the first place. Ablett is quicker and look at the abuse he gets on here for being a good centre.

rhinosbulldogs_zps04cf7e0a.jpg

#7 Saint Toppy

Saint Toppy
  • Coach
  • 2,643 posts

Posted 25 April 2014 - 07:07 AM

Whilst I agree a little, an international centre has to have enough speed to make the breaks in the first place. Ablett is quicker and look at the abuse he gets on here for being a good centre.

Only Leeds fans & McBanana would even think Ablett is a good centre - he's an average back rower playing in a good Leeds team !

#8 RSN

RSN
  • Coach
  • 3,937 posts

Posted 25 April 2014 - 07:41 AM

Bateman is going to be a world class second rower. Leave him there.

#9 EastLondonMike

EastLondonMike
  • Coach
  • 4,167 posts

Posted 25 April 2014 - 07:48 AM

Yep agree with the majority. Keep him in the back row, he lacks pace to play in the centre. He stood up Jordan Turner to set up Joe Burgess try in the Wigan v Saints game, but don't think he's as suited to centre as he is to the back row.

If any young forward at Wigan could make a go in the centre i'd suggest Jack Hughes, though he lacks blistering pace, he's pretty quick, and has good agility and strength. With a bit of work he could make a go of it in the centre i think.

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

#10 1976PMJwires

1976PMJwires
  • Coach
  • 9,453 posts

Posted 25 April 2014 - 06:50 PM

A back rower and a bloooody great prospect.

Hope he's growing up off field.

#11 walter sobchak

walter sobchak
  • Coach
  • 1,807 posts

Posted 25 April 2014 - 09:03 PM

Have to agree with the majority of posters saying Bateman should stay in the back row, as for an English point of view how good does a potential England back row of Bateman, saveillo and currie look in 2-3 years time?

#12 Fax1978

Fax1978
  • Coach
  • 568 posts

Posted 25 April 2014 - 09:30 PM

Would say saveillo will be an excellent prop in years to come. He's going to end up too big and not mobile enough or able to do enough mins for a back row. But agree there are a lot of good prospects coming through the ranks in most positions.

#13 The Big Gun

The Big Gun
  • Coach
  • 391 posts

Posted 26 April 2014 - 12:52 AM

Have to agree with the majority of posters saying Bateman should stay in the back row, as for an English point of view how good does a potential England back row of Bateman, saveillo and currie look in 2-3 years time?

Elliott Whitehead is the best English back row, and I imagine will still be so in 2-3 years time.

#14 walter sobchak

walter sobchak
  • Coach
  • 1,807 posts

Posted 26 April 2014 - 04:15 AM

Elliott Whitehead is the best English back row, and I imagine will still be so in 2-3 years time.

Agreed but I was talking more of the potential development of these 3 players as whitehead is already now an established super league player.

#15 Harrigan

Harrigan
  • Coach
  • 936 posts

Posted 26 April 2014 - 04:48 AM

Only Leeds fans & McBanana would even think Ablett is a good centre - he's an average back rower playing in a good Leeds team !

:lol:

He's the best second row forward at Leeds and the best we've had since Lauitiiti in his prime.

rhinosbulldogs_zps04cf7e0a.jpg

#16 giwildgo

giwildgo
  • Coach
  • 4,048 posts

Posted 26 April 2014 - 06:59 AM

Yep agree with the majority. Keep him in the back row, he lacks pace to play in the centre. He stood up Jordan Turner to set up Joe Burgess try in the Wigan v Saints game, but don't think he's as suited to centre as he is to the back row.

If any young forward at Wigan could make a go in the centre i'd suggest Jack Hughes, though he lacks blistering pace, he's pretty quick, and has good agility and strength. With a bit of work he could make a go of it in the centre i think.

Jack's problem is his poor handling. Too many unforced mistakes, but if he sorts that out I agree he could be a good centre.

Posted Image

oderint dum metuant

#17 giwildgo

giwildgo
  • Coach
  • 4,048 posts

Posted 26 April 2014 - 07:00 AM

Potentially with ball in hand, but he is a horrible defender - poor technique and decision making.

Posted Image

oderint dum metuant

#18 Brigg Rover

Brigg Rover
  • Coach
  • 1,955 posts

Posted 30 April 2014 - 10:21 AM

Potentially with ball in hand, but he is a horrible defender - poor technique and decision making.

But you have to remember that most people only see the game going one way.

#19 The Big Gun

The Big Gun
  • Coach
  • 391 posts

Posted 30 April 2014 - 01:20 PM

But you have to remember that most people only see the game going one way.

He's not a horrible defender. All Catalans' home games are on Sky now, I'd suggest watching some of them.

Edited by The Big Gun, 30 April 2014 - 01:20 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users