Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

BBC coverage

• Please log in to reply
55 replies to this topic

#1 weloveyouwakefield2

weloveyouwakefield2
  • Coach
  • 2,062 posts

Posted 26 April 2014 - 04:12 PM

I do think mark Chapman is a brilliant rugby league presenter, liked Brian noble, eorl Crabtree, Tanya Arnold and Robbie hunter Paul. Why they persist with 'its simple' Jonathan Davies I don't know!!! If they got rid of him and had skys slicker and better edited coverage they would be out of this world! 7 out of 10...
Posted Image

#2 johnh1

johnh1
  • Players
  • 71 posts

Posted 26 April 2014 - 04:32 PM

Jonathan Davies. Absolutely awful. How many times did he say 'simple'? Send him back to union. Great player but very poooor commentator.

#3 JonNgog

JonNgog
  • Coach
  • 486 posts

Posted 26 April 2014 - 04:44 PM

great... another thread of whinging about a commentator.............. when it isnt Stevo it's Phil Clarke; when it isn't Ray French it is Jonathan Davies. Tedious in the extreme.

Edited by JonNgog, 26 April 2014 - 04:44 PM.

#4 Scubby

Scubby
  • Coach
  • 3,798 posts

Posted 26 April 2014 - 04:55 PM

I like having Jonathan Davies on the BBC team. He offers a different perspective and is a link with BBC and its RL History. He is also a welcome addition when International RL comes around. Having him in the studio for the Wales v Italy RLWC game being one. He has been there, done it and got the t-shirt on both sides of the world.

Edited by Scubby, 26 April 2014 - 04:55 PM.

#5 weloveyouwakefield2

weloveyouwakefield2
  • Coach
  • 2,062 posts

Posted 26 April 2014 - 05:09 PM

I like having Jonathan Davies on the BBC team. He offers a different perspective and is a link with BBC and its RL History. He is also a welcome addition when International RL comes around. Having him in the studio for the Wales v Italy RLWC game being one. He has been there, done it and got the t-shirt on both sides of the world.

He's not too bad in the studio but as a co commentator he's awful!!
Posted Image

#6 thirteenthman

thirteenthman
  • Coach
  • 2,647 posts

Posted 26 April 2014 - 05:10 PM

I don't mind Davies. He's greatly improved over recent times - this showed up particularly during the World Cup. I think him, Woods and Noble work really well together. I don't think working with Ray French in previous years was doing him many favours. 

#7 weloveyouwakefield2

weloveyouwakefield2
  • Coach
  • 2,062 posts

Posted 26 April 2014 - 05:12 PM

great... another thread of whinging about a commentator.............. when it isnt Stevo it's Phil Clarke; when it isn't Ray French it is Jonathan Davies. Tedious in the extreme.

No what's tedious is listening to Jonathan Davies and stevo on the tv!!! Spoiling a good game...
Posted Image

#8 Trojan

Trojan
  • Coach
  • 15,114 posts

Posted 26 April 2014 - 05:16 PM

I don't mind Davies. He's greatly improved over recent times - this showed up particularly during the World Cup. I think him, Woods and Noble work really well together. I don't think working with Ray French in previous years was doing him many favours. 

His remarks about tackling Kevin Iro were worth having him alone, and he had the perception to select Ryan Hall as MOM instead of a try scorer.

"Your a one trick pony Trojan" - Parksider 10th March 2013

#9 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 20,379 posts

Posted 26 April 2014 - 06:26 PM

He's not too bad in the studio but as a co commentator he's awful!!

Agreed; he's usually much more positive in the studio.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#10 redjonn

redjonn
  • Coach
  • 872 posts

Posted 26 April 2014 - 06:43 PM

Personally I like Davies, especially in the studio but also commentating.   But then its all about opinions and mine is that I hope BBC keep him in whether commentator or expert in the studio.   

#11 Trojan horse

Trojan horse
  • Coach
  • 225 posts

Posted 26 April 2014 - 09:24 PM

I am also very keen to keep Davies.

In addition to the positives listed above, he has a good sense of humour in the studio. Which is very important as it is entertainment.

Sometimes it can be very dry and our game is rich in characters but they often don't come to life in front of the cameras.

I also think his Welsh accent on national TV is a positive for a sport that is portayed as regional.

He has always stood up for our game in the media when many of our own born and breed players show no gratitude to the game that made them.

Edited by Trojan horse, 26 April 2014 - 09:25 PM.

#12 Padge

Padge
  • Coach
  • 18,078 posts

Posted 26 April 2014 - 09:40 PM

Davies is a studio man.

The rest you can't fault.

Crabtree is carving out a nice little retirement career.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com
Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007
Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

#13 welshmagpie

welshmagpie
  • Coach
  • 418 posts

Posted 26 April 2014 - 11:12 PM

It's Hunter-Paul I'm not a fan of. Him walking around the warm up pointing at players and staying the obvious about them inbetween 'uh, um'

Could be better utilised.

#14 JonNgog

JonNgog
  • Coach
  • 486 posts

Posted 27 April 2014 - 12:12 AM

It's Hunter-Paul I'm not a fan of. Him walking around the warm up pointing at players and staying the obvious about them inbetween 'uh, um'

Could be better utilised.

easily the worst part of BBC's coverage. painful viewing every single time.

#15 cookey

cookey
  • Coach
  • 1,137 posts

Posted 27 April 2014 - 07:41 AM

Vastly superior to Stevo and Eddie,quite why Sky can't see this,I don't know.

Try applauding/thanking the BBC,rather than finding minor criticisms - you'd certainly moan if the BBC decided not to show rl.

#16 Rodill Rover

Rodill Rover
  • Players
  • 56 posts

Posted 27 April 2014 - 07:52 AM

Poor/annoying  commentary from either source can be got around as many say they do by turning the volume down and finding some radio coverage of the game.

What is unacceptable is the amateurish camera action which was broadcast yesterday. Not much better than 'in club' standard production.  to quote 'I can't spake'

#17 sweaty craiq

sweaty craiq
  • Coach
  • 1,573 posts

Posted 27 April 2014 - 08:07 AM

RHP is very poor, Davies should be in the studio and Crabtree is brilliant

#18 Trojan

Trojan
  • Coach
  • 15,114 posts

Posted 27 April 2014 - 09:02 AM

RHP is very poor, Davies should be in the studio and Crabtree is brilliant

Crabtree does summaries with James Deighton on R Leeds and he comes across pretty well, perhaps they should try him doing this on TV.

"Your a one trick pony Trojan" - Parksider 10th March 2013

#19 zorquif

zorquif
  • Coach
  • 1,493 posts

Posted 27 April 2014 - 09:13 AM

I like jiffy. And as for rhp - he clearly loves the game and I think it's good to have him on even if just for that. When he is running around the players at the start he is like a kid in a sweet shop. Keep it for that infectious enthusiasm

#20 Bulliac

Bulliac
  • Coach
  • 2,678 posts

Posted 27 April 2014 - 09:21 AM

I quite like Crabtree, both on radio and tv, he is likeable and comes across as knowledgable but he needs to do what Terry O'Connor and Barrie Mac have done and clean up his diction. Wiv Eorl, there's too much fought and finking -  and this is pretty basic stuff for someone who wants to make a go of being on tv.

No team is an island.........................................

http://www.flickr.co...s/31337109@N03/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users