Keighley

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#1 mark richardson

mark richardson
  • Coach
  • 2,987 posts

Posted 27 April 2014 - 08:07 AM

As the actual match seems to play second fiddle to all other subjects I thought I'd start this thread
I enjoyed the exciting game
We struggled with their big subs...their fast full back and the penalty count...and the feeling every fifty fifty went their way...but thats the game
Two new players...loverugby suggests Lewis is from Hunslet?? Philbin is a Warrington u19s
A makeshift team with many first choicers missing gave Keighley a good run for their money
Bowman had his best game for us.
Morrison was a machine.
Bting on 'Dale

#2 Lancaster Lions

Lancaster Lions
  • Players
  • 14 posts

Posted 27 April 2014 - 09:06 AM

I thought Morrison gave a brilliant performance yesterday. Shame about the result but its not the end of the world. I thought we have done well to reach this stage of the cup. Massive game at Hornets next Sunday and I think we can win. Two fans traveling from Lancaster to Spotland to bolster our away support. How many travelling from Swinton?

Edited by Lancaster Lions, 27 April 2014 - 09:08 AM.

#3 Westernmancunia

Westernmancunia
  • Players
  • 21 posts

Posted 27 April 2014 - 09:21 AM

Did the ref have a bit of a 'mare? There is one particular incident i haven't sorted out in my mind and is bugging me. The Lions had pegged it back to 20 - 26 and were clearly in the ascendant  when one of their players drops the ball not far off the 22 and gifts one of our players a clear run for the line. Next second its scrum their feed. What was that about? Swinton's challenge fizzled out after that.

Aside from that Keighley were no great shakes . Big and well organised but not world beaters. Even Swinton's patched up crew bar a couple of almost inexplicable defensive lapses could have easily beaten them. Morrison as usual showing the way. Great burst by Johnson when he came on but no one on his shoulder. He's looking a bit more for the offload these days so maybe he needs a runner or two with him.

Edited by Westernmancunia, 27 April 2014 - 09:51 AM.

#4 duffymoon

duffymoon
  • Coach
  • 2,584 posts

Posted 27 April 2014 - 09:28 AM

A creditable effort from what was essentially a makeshift Swinton team.Ultimately poor discipline and one or two errors prevented us making a closer game of it however Keighley deserved their win.

#5 Blue Monkey

Blue Monkey
  • Coach
  • 1,721 posts

Posted 27 April 2014 - 09:41 AM

Philbin is a Warrington u19s

Some people were saying he was related (son?/nephew?) to the Philbin brothers (Mick and Barry) from the late '60s/early '70s. Barry Philbin's Wikipedia page says he's got two daughters.

#6 RIGGY

RIGGY
  • Coach
  • 1,787 posts

Posted 27 April 2014 - 11:08 AM

Some people were saying he was related (son?/nephew?) to the Philbin brothers (Mick and Barry) from the late '60s/early '70s. Barry Philbin's Wikipedia page says he's got two daughters.

At one o-clock yesterday I thought Keith is going to be all over the Philbin situation SO I asked him and he said his dad never played for Swinton.  He had a good game though as did Steve Lewis from Normanton Knights.

#7 mark richardson

mark richardson
  • Coach
  • 2,987 posts

Posted 27 April 2014 - 11:18 AM

Riggy...love rugby league shows his previous appearance are for Hunslet this season
I take it that its a different one?

#8 LOYALION

LOYALION
  • Coach
  • 923 posts

Posted 27 April 2014 - 02:08 PM

Once again the lads gave 100% effort and you can't ask for any more. Trouble is what they also gave and that was the ball to the opponents! Had we cut that out I feel we would have won the game. They had a full back with a sidestep and a big lad on the bench, other than that I dont think they were anything special.
Well done to the new lads that stepped in at short notice which must have been difficult. I really feel that if we can get our best options out on the field we will be a force.
Any chance of an injury update?
Well done to the Bowmeister who had a fine game at centre and was unlucky to be pipped for MOM by another magnificent performance from Mr Morrison.

Retain the ball
Retain the ballll
Retain the balllllll

"no-one knows what it's like to be the bad man.........behind blue eyes"

#9 RIGGY

RIGGY
  • Coach
  • 1,787 posts

Posted 27 April 2014 - 05:00 PM

I spoke to Watto after the game and he said Lewis had come from Normanton Knights as he had left Hunslet.

#10 mark richardson

mark richardson
  • Coach
  • 2,987 posts

Posted 27 April 2014 - 08:21 PM

Ta.

#11 dummy scissors

dummy scissors
  • Coach
  • 253 posts

Posted 27 April 2014 - 08:30 PM

The effort was there again from all the players including the new faces but I have to agree that once again we gifted far too much ball to the opposition.  I think we edged it in the forward battle but their back division had more experience, organisation and speed than our line up.  Keighley deserved their win.

Although it is disappointing, not least from a finacial point of view, to be out of the cup I think we should be capable of taking six points from the league games against them if we can field a stronger line up. I'd certainly settle for that.

#12 wayne_r

wayne_r
  • Coach
  • 380 posts

Posted 27 April 2014 - 09:21 PM

Disappointed for the team (and myself of course) 100% effort again but to many penalties, not enough possession - when we had the ball we scored - and some basic defensive lapses let Keighley win the match. The ref was poor and as others have said all the 50 /50 decisions went Keighley's way - I honestly thought when we got to within 6 points we would win as Keighley looked tired.

For me Keighley were not exceptional but  played solid rugby and took there chances well, even allowing for the numerous forward passes.

I also think next week at Rochdale will be a hard to win as Rochdale are playing really well right now...............

#13 Rugbyleague1

Rugbyleague1
  • Twitter
  • 3 posts

Posted 27 April 2014 - 09:28 PM

Returned to watch Swinton after a period of absence, bringing my boy 15 aswell. (reminds me of when my dad took me watching Blackburn Rovers as a youngster).

Really enjoying it! For me its proper Rugbyleague, Superleague is ok but I prefer watching our game. Real edge of seat stuff.

I must say I prefer watching it at Sedgely tho?! a little bit closer to the action.

Ian

#14 Little Lion Man

Little Lion Man
  • Coach
  • 331 posts

Posted 27 April 2014 - 09:44 PM

The ref was poor

Strange how we view things. I thought the referee was a cut above that which we normally get. I never feel officials are biased just poor. If they are getting all but the 50/50 ones right then fair enough. Not sure Mr Roby got much wrong at all and I would welcome that level in the championship.

I don't mind stealing bread from the mouths of decadence.

"Be mindful of the prayers you send,
Pray hard but pray with care,
For the tears that you are crying now,
Are just your answered prayers"

#15 Furryenzo

Furryenzo
  • Coach
  • 913 posts

Posted 29 April 2014 - 11:08 AM

Agree with most of the points regarding the match. All I will say though, which im surprised nobody else has mentioned (surely I am not the only one thinking this) our 3/4 is absolutely shambolic defensively. I really had high hopes for Warrilow at the start of the season but he brings nothing to the game that I can see and cannot tackle. Watkins (I know he didnt play on sunday) is the same, a big lump without any strength, pace or positional sense. Joe Worthington and Freddy Walker I think would struggle to get in most championship one sides. I think without Nanyn, Kev and Evans we look extremely weak out wide. Id be tempted, in any future instances without DR to put two pacey second rowers at centre i.e. Darren Hawkyard and Danny Halliwell.

Perhaps im being a bit harsh here but I honestly do believe this, even more so after watching to footage back on BBC, and have been thinking it for a few weeks.

That being said, looking at where we were pre-season I have no complaints, especially regarding work ethic and the forwards. Our pack looks immense this year, probably the best ive seen in recent times, and thats without Jack Cooper who was looking a different animal before his injury.

Edited by Furryenzo, 29 April 2014 - 11:10 AM.

Im only smiling because `no-one`'s found the bodies yet.

#16 honest tryer

honest tryer
  • Players
  • 29 posts

Posted 29 April 2014 - 12:46 PM

I agree with these comments,( good post.) Defensively our 3/4s are weak, but in reality, without dr men we have simply run out of players.injuries have decimated us, to an extent where we had to bring two new players in,last week and in fairness they played well.but the team prep for the game must have been poor,(and it showed.)having said that,watto can only play,who he's got.that said, yes the forwards have been excellent,no complaints there, and I know as a fact that on many occasions,this season?, they have played on, when injured, due to lack of cover on the bench ! The pack have showed up well in every game this season.

#17 MiBoy

MiBoy
  • Players
  • 90 posts

Posted 29 April 2014 - 06:03 PM

Totally agree about the pack and feel they can compete with any in this league and yes we are soft on the fringes but that said if we can't keep hold of the ball and keep giving soft penalties away all we end up doing is a massive amount of defending then the fatigue sets in and more mistakes happen. We seem to over play at times when going forward we just need to play a bit smarter and complete our sets and build a bit of pressure.

#18 mark richardson

mark richardson
  • Coach
  • 2,987 posts

Posted 29 April 2014 - 07:08 PM

Just shows what an impressive job our coaching staff are doing
Morons from Keighley might like to stand up shouting Warrington at us but we nearly beat them with a team consisting heavily of amateur signings against players Handforth White Williams Barnet etc who must've cost plenty.
Our fringes have been vulnerable for years. I agree about one of the players you name being out of his depth though but I see potential elsewhere.

#19 Blue Monkey

Blue Monkey
  • Coach
  • 1,721 posts

Posted 29 April 2014 - 07:39 PM

Just shows what an impressive job our coaching staff are doing.
Morons from Keighley might like to stand up shouting Warrington at us but we nearly beat them with a team consisting heavily of amateur signings 

Exactly. As things stood before the current season began, we were forced to enlist players from the game's fringes, players who may well be 'also-rans'. These 'ordinary' players have been working their socks off, giving their best efforts under the coaching guidance of Ian Watson and Marlon Billy.

If players give 100% and do their best, you can't expect anything else.

#20 steve wild

steve wild
  • Coach
  • 585 posts

Posted 29 April 2014 - 07:56 PM

One Keighley fan giving it large with the witty Warrington stuff was advised, " apart from fact we've no wolves out there what would you do in our position? No ground for 20 years, struggling to keep going on small crowds & little money & dreaming of a new ground in our home town." The reply? "The sooner the RFL gets rid of clubs like you the better." What the hell is wrong with some so-called RL fans? I despair sometimes.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users