• 239 posts

Posted 29 April 2014 - 08:16 PM

One word steve 'Yorkshire'

#22 TIM THE LION

TIM THE LION
  • Coach
  • 370 posts

Posted 29 April 2014 - 08:32 PM

Some of those Keighley fans were a disgrace to their club and their families plain and simple.  Its not bitterness speaking we were second best on the day but some of them were scumbags, if it were any other place some of them would have been filled in with that kind of behaviour

Nobody made a greater mistake than he who did nothing because he could only do a little.

Edmund Burke

#23 dummy scissors

dummy scissors
  • Coach
  • 273 posts

Posted 29 April 2014 - 08:53 PM

If I recall correctly Ian Watson said way back that it was his aim to assemble a strong set of forwards to compete at Championship level.  He has done that without a doubt.  The loss of the experience of Nanyn and Halliwell creates a big problem at centre and who knows how long they will be out.  Bowman played well enough there against Keighley and Darren Hawkyard can fill in that position but would be a loss in the second row where he has been superb as usual.  Unfortunately we are very reliant on DR to provide some threat on the fringes at present as the lads we have are all pretty raw at this level.

Zach Johnson has taken an early guilty plea and will be suspended for the Rochdale game.

#24 dummy scissors

dummy scissors
  • Coach
  • 273 posts

Posted 29 April 2014 - 08:56 PM

Some of those Keighley fans were a disgrace to their club and their families plain and simple.  Its not bitterness speaking we were second best on the day but some of them were scumbags, if it were any other place some of them would have been filled in with that kind of behaviour

I'm not sure some of our fans covered themselves in glory in their response to the goading.  Certainly the Swinton fan sitting behind me resorted to racist language until asked to stop. 

#25 steve wild

steve wild
  • Coach
  • 645 posts

Posted 30 April 2014 - 05:21 AM

I certainly think it's time that the fans of all clubs outside of SL realised we're all pretty much in the same boat, and be a little bit more respectful of one another's efforts and heritage. Some of the goading & delinquent behaviour seems to be getting worse and there hardly seems to be a game where something unsavoury doesn't happen. Maybe we at Swinton should take a lead & take the idiots on with humour rather than succumbing to their level.

#26 LOYALION

LOYALION
  • Coach
  • 947 posts

Posted 30 April 2014 - 08:32 AM

Well said Steve.

"no-one knows what it's like to be the bad man.........behind blue eyes"

#27 TIM THE LION

TIM THE LION
  • Coach
  • 370 posts

Posted 30 April 2014 - 05:36 PM

Agreed, wouldn't even mind if they came up with something original.

Nobody made a greater mistake than he who did nothing because he could only do a little.

Edmund Burke

#28 Ralph Swintonrlfc

Ralph Swintonrlfc
  • Players
  • 40 posts

Posted 30 April 2014 - 07:05 PM

great post steve. to respond to goading with quick witted humour is the best way and usually shuts them up as they're usually not bright enough to give a decent repost. it makes them look bitter and foolish and when they actually stop to think it might sink in that we are as you rightly say 'in the same boat'. lets get back to banter and not get embroiled in slagging matches and focus on getting behind the lads. nothing better than a few beers, proper banter and a sing song.

#29 CountyDurhamCougar

CountyDurhamCougar
  • Players
  • 4 posts

Posted 04 May 2014 - 11:46 PM

I certainly think it's time that the fans of all clubs outside of SL realised we're all pretty much in the same boat, and be a little bit more respectful of one another's efforts and heritage. Some of the goading & delinquent behaviour seems to be getting worse and there hardly seems to be a game where something unsavoury doesn't happen. Maybe we at Swinton should take a lead & take the idiots on with humour rather than succumbing to their level.

This is a very good post, especially the first sentence. Blakemore's post, above, about Yorkshire is not so good; it's not a Roses thing. I should point out before I go on that I didn't make this game. We don't do DR at Keighley and I think it would be fair to say most Keighley supporters don't like it but, that said, it should never go beyond friendly banter - the like of which I enjoyed with Dewsbury fans at Cougar Park this afternoon. We Championship fans do indeed need to bear in mind that we are all in the same boat - not a lot of money and not as many people as we'd like getting through the turnstiles. We should all respect the efforts made by all involved to make sure that we continue to have a game to watch, and a great game it is too. For my part, I very much look forward to the day when I can follow the Cougars to Swinton to watch a game played in Swinton's own ground, in Swinton, in front of a bumper crowd. Please come to Cougar Park next week to support your team.

#30 wayne_r

wayne_r
  • Coach
  • 386 posts

Posted 05 May 2014 - 09:35 AM

Hi CountyDurhamCougar

I totally agree with your post - for me the "game" is far too biased to SL - no coverage at all of Championship / Championship1 on Radio Manchester only SL - even when the same SL games are covered else where such as Radio Merseyside.........no coverage in the news generally.

All non SL clubs and supporters really do need to support each other as you have suggested..............only problem I have with going to Keighley is I can only remember Swinton winning there probably 3 times in probably 30 years.......well maybe a few more times but not many more...........

#31 DOVO

DOVO
  • Players
  • 1 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 05:01 PM

Firstly I am a Cougar fan who attended the game at Leigh but didn't get involved in the banter, I thought Swinton played well and the game was in the balance for the most part. My thoughts are that D/R only works for the SL club.

Keighley have opted not to D/R  and go it alone.Although this is our choice, it is still very frustrating as each week we have to play against several SL players who cant get a game for their respective clubs. In my opinion this devalues our competition as some of the inconsistant results have shown. My question is why cant Swinton play that team every week - surely they would improve the more they play - If Swinton did get relegated with your own team you would be in a strong position to come straight back up. IMO all Championship teams should have opted out making it a truly level playing field and then no one would be arguing over this point..Hopr to see you at CP next week.

#32 LOYALION

LOYALION
  • Coach
  • 947 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 08:09 PM

Der der der der der (to the tune of the Magic Roundabout)!

#33 juliancaine

juliancaine
  • Coach
  • 450 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 10:44 PM

Pity we didn't have the luxury of the rl buying station road like Keighley did with their ground.

#34 steve wild

steve wild
  • Coach
  • 645 posts

Posted 07 May 2014 - 06:38 AM

Beam me up Scotty

#35 mark richardson

mark richardson
  • Coach
  • 3,066 posts

Posted 07 May 2014 - 10:18 AM

Firstly I am a Cougar fan who attended the game at Leigh but didn't get involved in the banter, I thought Swinton played well and the game was in the balance for the most part. My thoughts are that D/R only works for the SL club.
Keighley have opted not to D/R and go it alone.Although this is our choice, it is still very frustrating as each week we have to play against several SL players who cant get a game for their respective clubs. In my opinion this devalues our competition as some of the inconsistant results have shown. My question is why cant Swinton play that team every week - surely they would improve the more they play - If Swinton did get relegated with your own team you would be in a strong position to come straight back up. IMO all Championship teams should have opted out making it a truly level playing field and then no one would be arguing over this point..Hopr to see you at CP next week.

What we could do is the Mark Aston approach at Sheffield. Just pick and choose loanees on season long deals then release them when someone else takes your fancy . A la Jordan Burke and Jon Ford.
Then of course publicly criticise DR clubs
The system is a mess!

#36 Dreamer

Dreamer
  • Players
  • 48 posts

Posted 08 May 2014 - 10:11 AM

1. Fan behaviour
It's a shame when good old fashioned banter goes too far, but to be fair every club has its fair share of numpties, Swinton included.

2. DR. I'm sure you've all heard enough on this but IMO it's a mess and has been abused.

3. Keighley's Ground.
It is not, and never has been, owned by the RFL. Keighley sold their extensive land assets to the Co-op many moons ago under the impression that covenants on the ground kept them safe, then leased the ground back. When the lease ran out a couple of years ago it was said that the Co-op were going to use a loop hole to oust Keighley. The rfl stepped in and negotiated on our behalf with the result being that the co-op leased the ground to them and we took out an under lease. We pay the rfl who pass it on to the co-op. This is not like the Odsal deal where the rfl paid a wedge of cash for an existing lease.

I suppose all this makes the next game a bit more juicy ;-)

#37 LOYALION

LOYALION
  • Coach
  • 947 posts

Posted 08 May 2014 - 11:30 AM

What we could do is the Mark Aston approach at Sheffield. Just pick and choose loanees on season long deals then release them when someone else takes your fancy . A la Jordan Burke and Jon Ford.
Then of course publicly criticise DR clubs
The system is a mess!

I believe the aptly used phrase used by Mr Rowley of Leigh when talking about loan deals was 'fill your boots'!
Still gets me that one!

#38 dummy scissors

dummy scissors
  • Coach
  • 273 posts

Posted 09 May 2014 - 06:54 PM

From the RFL website:

An RFL Operational Rule Tribunal has imposed a two-month suspension on Keighley Cougars player-coach Paul March for verbally abusing match officials.

Under the terms of the suspension, March is prohibited from entering any stadium in which Keighley Cougars are playing until July 8, 2014.

#39 mark richardson

mark richardson
  • Coach
  • 3,066 posts

Posted 09 May 2014 - 09:05 PM

About twelve years overdue

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users